How can some people be disappointed?

KnightofLight

I've been re reading "A Memory of Light" cause I'm bored and waiting for Oathbringer and I've been noticing that quite a few people were disappointed with some parts or exclusion of certain plot lines and just wanted to get some real fans point of views on what they mean because I loved this book to its core and all of TWOT. What was this book missing? 

3 hours ago, KnightofLight said:

I've been re reading "A Memory of Light" cause I'm bored and waiting for Oathbringer and I've been noticing that quite a few people were disappointed with some parts or exclusion of certain plot lines and just wanted to get some real fans point of views on what they mean because I loved this book to its core and all of TWOT. What was this book missing? 

I mean, I loved the book.  That said, I think a lot of the complaints stem from the fact that Brandon took a few deviations from what Robert Jordan had been planning.  I couldn't tell you everything (half the reason I read the series was 'cause I was a Sanderfan right from the start) but one thing I did hear had to do with the re-opening of Logain's storyline.  In Jordan's version, he was not supposed to be once again struggling with angsty selfishness which, in AMoL, very nearly got a whole bunch of people killed before someone snapped him out of it.  It's something I wished Brandon had left as-is, since it felt a little out-of-place with the rest of the book; it wasn't something that was noticably foreshadowed or an established character trait.

Still, like I said above, I still really enjoyed reading the series.  And if parts of it were only thirteen and a half times better than what I can write, instead of the usual twenty?  I can deal.

As a Wheel of Time fan that got into Sanderson from that, from reactions I saw it was lack of reunions between long separated characters (Rand, Mat, and Perrin, being a big missing one), and  lack of page time for various important characters (mostly Nynave and Moraine at the bore doing little). These characters have been apart for years, and fans want to see how they would react to each other and the emotional resolutions for the fans. I personally felt that the Last Battle on the fields of Mellior didn't feel that "real", like I'm sure the tactics were good but I think the scale was too big to be meaningful to me. Too many plot threads is another, there was a sample paragraph with the Ogier cleansing the ways with singing but it didn't flow so it was cut.

Wow I prob should re read the whole series I forgot so much. I also got into Sanderson from this series. But honestly I thought he cut out everything that annoyed me about Jordans writing (excessive dialogue about low cut dresses, the avalanche of new characters especially Aei sedai). Plus Brandon really knows how to write a great action sequence without it getting confusing. Like when Perrin is fighting Slayer at the end. I was literally on the edge of my seat. 

Honestly I was quite satisfied with the last 3 books of WOT. I only had one real issue with AMoL; Just before "The Last Battle" at Merrilor Egwene goes to talk to Mat and is followed by Llewyn (Egeanin). We get a quick glimpse into Mat's interior monologue and he makes some comment about "that Seanchan that follows Egwene around" like he doesn't know her. How did none of the copy editors not stop and go "Hmm, didn't they travel together and pretend to be lovers for like 2.5 books?"

Edit: Oh and the Elayne's speech before they attack the Trolloc army was a weird combination of forced, out of place, and awkward.

Edited by Iron Eyes

On 4/18/2017 at 6:44 AM, Mistform said:

from reactions I saw it was lack of reunions between long separated characters (Rand, Mat, and Perrin, being a big missing one)

Do we know Jordan had big plans for this? Reading this series for the first time when I was younger, I constantly felt like Jordan actively avoided giving me what I wanted in this area. His characters will be in the same room and STILL find ways to avoid each other and communicate poorly. I would never have expected Jordan to give the main characters very meaningful reunions. If anything, I'd suspect Sanderson gave us more than we would have received otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

There were a few scenes that were obviously supposed to be thematically pleasing and a kind of "look how cool this is" hand-off to the reader.  Took me out of the story a few times because of how out of place they were

Example, when Androl is breaking Logain out of the dungeon and is able to break through the dreamspike.  Why is he walking out to the middle of the room before deus ex machina'ing the fight?  It wasn't believable and it was slightly cringy.  There were a few of those.  

But that's just more Sandersons style than Jordans.  I still really enjoyed the last 3 books.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2017 at 9:32 AM, KnightofLight said:

Wow I prob should re read the whole series I forgot so much. I also got into Sanderson from this series. But honestly I thought he cut out everything that annoyed me about Jordans writing (excessive dialogue about low cut dresses, the avalanche of new characters especially Aei sedai). Plus Brandon really knows how to write a great action sequence without it getting confusing. Like when Perrin is fighting Slayer at the end. I was literally on the edge of my seat. 

That was kind of how I felt as well. I liked all the books don't get me wrong but Jordan did use 100 words when he could have used 10. I may have a different perspective though I was a Sanderson fan that read the series because he finished it. 

Looks like this topic has been around awhile and thought I would respond to the original post. There is a blogger that I used to follow (our tastes have differed in the recent years and I rarely visit his page anymore) and he lists several of what he considers problems with the last book. Before I get feedback I dont subscribe to his views and want to share the link in order to merely answer the o.p question:

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-memory-of-light.html?m=1

• 1 month later...

My main problem with AMOL is more that it felt like too much was happening. It almost felt like it could've benefited being one more part, I know I know with the last book already being split in three, but it was like you had a 4 hour movie and only showed an hour of it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Rand doesn’t know the Song and the Tinkers wouldn’t accept anything he taught them anyhow.

Robert Jordan specifically noted that the Tinkers would not find their Song by the end of the series and that the Ogier song of growing is not the Tinkers’ Song. The Song is “a much more deep and philosophical concept, perhaps unattainable.”

https://www.tor.com/2013/01/23/brandon-sandersons-wheel-of-time-answers-from-torchat/