Will we ever get Book 10?

Dragon314

@maxal Brandon has also said that writing other things keeps him energized so if it comes down to him trying to grind out Stormlight Archive and not enjoying it just to get it done faster or taking it on the way he's done everything so far (with some nice surprises along the way) I'll pick the latter approach any day. Given that Era 3 Mistborn is perhaps my most anticipated story, I've learned to take a long-term view of things.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:45 PM, Andy92 said:

I imagine Mistborn will take a break until sometime after Stormlight 5 is out, but I believe sequels to Elantris and some other Cosmere worlds will be more important to him than the next Mistborn trilogy over the next few years.

Brandon has confirmed that for certain behind the scenes reasons, the Elantris sequels need to be finished before Mistborn Era 3 can begin. The earliest we can expect 'Elantris 2' according to the most recent State of the Sanderson is between Oathbringer and 'SA4' and apparently he'd like to get Nightblood written before Misborn Era 3 as well.

54 minutes ago, Weltall said:

@maxal Brandon has also said that writing other things keeps him energized so if it comes down to him trying to grind out Stormlight Archive and not enjoying it just to get it done faster or taking it on the way he's done everything so far (with some nice surprises along the way) I'll pick the latter approach any day. Given that Era 3 Mistborn is perhaps my most anticipated story, I've learned to take a long-term view of things.

Brandon has confirmed that for certain behind the scenes reasons, the Elantris sequels need to be finished before Mistborn Era 3 can begin. The earliest we can expect 'Elantris 2' according to the most recent State of the Sanderson is between Oathbringer and 'SA4' and apparently he'd like to get Nightblood written before Misborn Era 3 as well.

We all understand Brandon's need to refresh himself with other novels in between massive SA tomes. What some of us are criticizing is the fact Brandon started so many of those side projects it delayed the release of SA3 by at least a whole year. The side effect seem to be the author is now tired of it which means he might need a longer break period before he gets back to it or so I fear.

From my perspective, all of this could have been averted had he focused on SA for the 6 to 9 months it needed to be written and stop focusing on everything else but it. I recall how frustrated I was, about a year ago, to see Brandon was always taking months break from writing SA because he felt he had to work on "something else" which never seemed "that urgent", still from my reader's perspective.

Again, I understand the need for side projects, but within the last three years, it felt, for some readers, as if the side projects took precedence towards writing SA3. 

your concern is founded, but there is really nothing we can do about it but hope. I mean, it is entirely possible brandon will say a couple years from now "screw it, I got tired of writing, I already earned enough to spend the rest of my life in comfort anyway", and there would be nothing we could do about it. ok, we could kidnap his family to force him to finish what he started, but I doubt he'd write particularly good stuff under duress :P Would make for a great news story, though.

The thing is, we can only support him and hope he never comes to that point. there are authors of webcomics that got tired and stopped posting because the audience grew increasingly restless, demanding more and more stuff until the authors just quitted business. the more fans push to get stormlight sooner, the longer it will take, and the greater the chance we won't actually see the end of it.

on the other hand, someone may ask brandon at the next signing if his interests are shifting with time...

Edited by king of nowhere

49 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

your concern is founded, but there is really nothing we can do about it but hope. I mean, it is entirely possible brandon will say a couple years from now "screw it, I got tired of writing, I already earned enough to spend the rest of my life in comfort anyway", and there would be nothing we could do about it. ok, we could kidnap his family to force him to finish what he started, but I doubt he'd write particularly good stuff under duress :P Would make for a great news story, though.

The thing is, we can only support him and hope he never comes to that point. there are authors of webcomics that got tired and stopped posting because the audience grew increasingly restless, demanding more and more stuff until the authors just quitted business. the more fans push to get stormlight sooner, the longer it will take, and the greater the chance we won't actually see the end of it.

on the other hand, someone may ask brandon at the next signing if his interests are shifting with time...

Yeah, well, I didn't mean it to come across as a criticism even if it does read as one... The author is entitled to work on whichever piece of work he feels he ought to work on, but the last newsletter did give credence to the belief he has been stretching the writing of SA3 over a much longer time period than required. I honestly can't blame the guy for being tired of it.

My thoughts as a fan and a reader is I fear such tendencies might end up further delaying future release of SA because Brandon never seems to ever settle down and concentrate on it, just it. It is easy to get burned out on a project if it withers for too long and I fear this need to start up so many side projects might hinder SA within the mid to long term.  

As for his interest shifting, well we will see... If the pattern repeats itself for book 4, I think this is definitely something some readers would ask.

32 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

I know a guy. :ph34r:

How much does he ask? :ph34r: I can lent money :ph34r:

The only works I would consider side projects are his YA novels. I know Stormlight is going to be his biggest series, but building the entire Cosmere is really his life work as an author. He'll be writing novels on Sel, Scadrial, Roshar, and Nalthis especially for a number of years to come. 

3-4 years between Stormlight books really isn't too bad considering he writes other novels in those gaps. And when you get used to other fantasy authors like GRRM and Rothfuss, well...lol 

6 minutes ago, maxal said:

And what is the conversion rate in between one emerald broam and Canadian dollar? :ph34r:

One grizzly, three moose, and ten beavers per broam. Those are Canadian dollars, right? :P

At a serious guess though, I would say that a broam is at least $1000, if not 2 or 3.

Just now, Djarskublar said:

One grizzly, three moose, and ten beavers per broam. Those are Canadian dollars, right? :P

At a serious guess though, I would say that a broam is at least $1000, if not 2 or 3.

OK. Montreal city has 4 nefarious beavers which are destroying all of our mature trees :ph34r: The mayor would probably be glad for the beaver problem to be solved. Unfortunately, there are no moose nor grizzly around here, but there are 6 deer visiting my office on a regular basis and I can get you about as many Canadian goose as you want :ph34r: And a seal. Yeah, we have a seal too :ph34r:

Now, I just need to hatch a plan to catch those beavers.... :ph34r: 

Just now, Djarskublar said:

Well, @maxal, we have certainly entertained ourselves quite well with this. Do those deer have appointments or are they walk-ins? Is it a seal of approval? Are these jokes as bad as I hope they are?

On a more serious note, wow have we derailed this thread! XD

Jokes are terrible, but they made me laugh :P 

Animals are very real though... so if you need to, we've got a deal :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Andy92 said:

The only works I would consider side projects are his YA novels. I know Stormlight is going to be his biggest series, but building the entire Cosmere is really his life work as an author. He'll be writing novels on Sel, Scadrial, Roshar, and Nalthis especially for a number of years to come. 

3-4 years between Stormlight books really isn't too bad considering he writes other novels in those gaps. And when you get used to other fantasy authors like GRRM and Rothfuss, well...lol 

Never read GRRM on purpose.

Rothfuss, yes and that fat bastard needs to make move on given that he wrote the entire series ages ago and all he is doing is rewrites/revisions!!! :P

Edited by axcellence

ok, since the idea of kidnapping is getting traction, maybe we could open a kickstarter to fund it?

the kidnap brandon's family to force him to work full time on stormlight fundraising: the goal is 200,000 $, at the goal a mobster will be paid to kidnap his family and keep it for one month. Stretch goals:

250000: longer captivity. The mobster will be paid to keep them an additional two weeks

300000: premium mobster. Instead of a random mobster, the sicilian mafia will be hired for the job. More skilled, more professional.

350000: coffee. mormons don't drink coffee, so another mobster will be hired to force-feed it to brandon to keep him working longer

400000: more hostages. the mobster won't stop at kidnapping brandon's wife and children, but will take his parents and brother too

500000: deluxe mobster. the russian mafia will be hired for the job. sicilian mafia mobster stil have human feelings. they will kill you, but they will regretfully inform you that it is only because of business before pulling the trigger. instead, a russian mobster with eyes of ice and no trace of pity will be in charge of the hostages

600000: cocaine. That's for the russian mobster, to keep him more aggressive.

800000: lawyers. Since the operation will inevitably blow up at some point, this stretch goal will hire the best lawyers to try and claim mental illness for all the organizers of the plan.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

ok, since the idea of kidnapping is getting traction, maybe we could open a kickstarter to fund it?

the kidnap brandon's family to force him to work full time on stormlight fundraising: the goal is 200,000 $, at the goal a mobster will be paid to kidnap his family and keep it for one month. Stretch goals:

250000: longer captivity. The mobster will be paid to keep them an additional two weeks

300000: premium mobster. Instead of a random mobster, the sicilian mafia will be hired for the job. More skilled, more professional.

350000: coffee. mormons don't drink coffee, so another mobster will be hired to force-feed it to brandon to keep him working longer

400000: more hostages. the mobster won't stop at kidnapping brandon's wife and children, but will take his parents and brother too

500000: deluxe mobster. the russian mafia will be hired for the job. sicilian mafia mobster stil have human feelings. they will kill you, but they will regretfully inform you that it is only because of business before pulling the trigger. instead, a russian mobster with eyes of ice and no trace of pity will be in charge of the hostages

600000: cocaine. That's for the russian mobster, to keep him more aggressive.

800000: lawyers. Since the operation will inevitably blow up at some point, this stretch goal will hire the best lawyers to try and claim mental illness for all the organizers of the plan.

Ingenious... maybe you should start getting into writing yourself...