Another Hypothesis for the Recreance

Djarskublar

After clarifying in another thread that Honor was (probably?) killed after the Recreance, I got to wondering exactly how long. Was that the final turning point so Odium could whittle Honor down and eventually killed him? Or maybe it was something else. I am working with the knowledge of how well discussed this has been so far without any definitive answer that I feel is satisfactory. Maybe the Radiants abandoned their Oaths because Honor told them to, or the spren knew Honor wanted them to and got the Knights to abandon them. The reason for Honor telling them to is that he was about to die. Honor wanted the spren and Knights to avoid some of the fallout of him being destroyed, so he saved them by detaching them from himself. With the Oaths abandoned, the spren were stuck partially in the physical realm, which may have protected them somewhat, at the cost of their sanity. The Knights would be less directly connected to Honor, and not be hurt as bad when he died. I'm just spouting out ideas here, but I think there may be some merit to the base premise of 'Honor died right after the Recreance.' It would certainly make understanding why the Recreance happened a lot easier and more complicated at the same time.

I am making the assumption here that there would be some ripple effect in the cognitive realm when a Shard is killed, which I don't think is unreasonable. There were probably some physical disasters too. Earthquakes, and the like. I don't know how Honor being killed would affect Radiants, but there would have to be some repercussions, so maybe they abandoned their Oaths to avoid those. It makes me wonder what happened to the order that didn't abandon their Oaths... maybe their honor was corrupted entirely? Again, just spouting ideas.

Do you guys have any other ideas about potential reasoning for the Recreance in context of the premise that Honor was killed (relatively) directly after?

I do not have any reasoning to offer for the Recreance but one item of interest that might help the discussion is that the Diagram says: "Hold the secret that broke the Knights Radiant. You may need it to destroy the new orders when they return." Source

It seems that whatever caused the Knights Radiant to fall the first time is, somehow, usable again.

• 4 weeks later...

I didnt want to start a new thread on the Recreance so I though I would hijack this one...apologies. Anyways my question is when do you think we will get the full story of the recreance and the reasoning behind it? Possibly book 3 or is this a card Brandon will hold untill book 10. Has anyone asked this in a WoB yet?

16 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I didnt want to start a new thread on the Recreance so I though I would hijack this one...apologies. Anyways my question is when do you think we will get the full story of the recreance and the reasoning behind it? Possibly book 3 or is this a card Brandon will hold untill book 10. Has anyone asked this in a WoB yet?

No real proof, but I think it's going to be a major plot point of book 5, and the ending of the first half before the 15 year gap. 

5 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

when do you think we will get the full story of the Recreance and the reasoning behind it? Has anyone asked this in a WoB yet?

Brandon was asked about what time of day the Recreance occurred a few years ago, and his response was that the answer would have to wait until he properly wrote the scene.

Besides confirming that he would in-fact write out the Recreance later on, this allows us to do a bit of Speculation about when such a scene would be written. The Recreance itself would either be a flashback, a vision, or a dream sequence.

• Flashback Recreance could only be from Shalash's perspective, since Taln was in Braize and everyone else wasn't born yet.
  • Vision Recreance would be via Honor(through the Stormfather) or Cultivation. A Stormfather Vision should be in Dalinar's book if it happens.
  • Cultivation is a wild card, and probably the only way we could get a dream sequence of it would be via her interfering. (Lift or Renarin's book is where I'd put my bets for this one)

• Chaos locked this topic