[OB] Oathbringer Preview Thread (Based on what's been released to date)

Wax

OK guys, Here's a little summary I am pulling together based on what's been disclosed or can be clearly inferred about Oathbringer excluding any spoiler chapter releases.

Kind of like a preview build:-

Revealed confirmed elements

Amazon Hardcover Link

The eagerly awaited sequel to the #1 New York Times bestselling Words of Radiance, from epic fantasy author Brandon Sanderson at the top of his game.

In Oathbringer, the third volume of the New York Times bestselling Stormlight Archive, humanity faces a new Desolation with the return of the Voidbringers, a foe with numbers as great as their thirst for vengeance.

Dalinar Kholin’s Alethi armies won a fleeting victory at a terrible cost: The enemy Parshendi summoned the violent Everstorm, which now sweeps the world with destruction, and in its passing awakens the once peaceful and subservient parshmen to the horror of their millennia-long enslavement by humans. While on a desperate flight to warn his family of the threat, Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with the fact that the newly kindled anger of the parshmen may be wholly justified.

Nestled in the mountains high above the storms, in the tower city of Urithiru, Shallan Davar investigates the wonders of the ancient stronghold of the Knights Radiant and unearths dark secrets lurking in its depths. And Dalinar realizes that his holy mission to unite his homeland of Alethkar was too narrow in scope. Unless all the nations of Roshar can put aside Dalinar’s blood-soaked past and stand together―and unless Dalinar himself can confront that past―even the restoration of the Knights Radiant will not prevent the end of civilization.

• There will be a scene where Jasnah will be in a city which is under attack from a Thunderclast (see revealed cover here )
  • The book will have Dalinar as a key focus character and bondsmiths will be a focus.  One scene will include his visit to the Nightwatcher. (Source)
  • The book will feature Lift in a minor capacity.  She will have some viewpoint chapters as well.
  • The book will feature Nal/Nin but his attitude towards the surgebinders would have changed significantly by then (see Arcanum Unbounded).  Nal is also using his own honorblade with an asterisk. (Source)
  • Dalinar's wife's name is
    Spoiler

Eevee

(Source)

• Gavilar was also on path to become a bondsmith (Source )
  • Vivienna might be looking for Vasher in Oathbringer (Source: WoB)
  • Nal's Taravangian will have an interlude (source:?)
  • Rysn will get an interlude (Source)
  • Szeth has 6 chapters in the book, mostly in the last part
  • Sigzil will get a viewpoint chapter (Source)
  • 2 more veristatilians will appear in the next book (Source)
  • Renarin is not healing others with his powers. He’s not really confident in his powers at all.  He will develop that way more in book 3.
  • Axies the Aimian is mentioned in Oathbringer, but not seen
  • All the revealed chapters are linked here and the released chapters by Tor.com from Part 1 are linked here

Unconfirmed but inferred facts

• This is a Jasnah chapter between WoR and Oathbringer (link) - uncertain if it will be included in Oathbringer or it is a standalone item like Edgedancer
  • It's speculated that there might be some further developments involving Shallan and Kaladin (perhaps on a romantic/spark/etc).  The exact nature of these scenes is uncertain. (Source: WoB)

There will be Shalladin moments in Oathbringer.

What other things can you add to the list?  I want to build a compiled post here, and if you have anything particular, I can append it to the post to provide a compiled list.

Revision: pdates from theoryland searches, added the bits from Supernova (Sydney), changed link to the spoiler chapters, Rysn interlude confirmation, bondsmiths book, , link to Jasnah chapter, reworded the Shalladin comment, added amazon preview

Edited by axcellence
Update 2 Oct - Theoryland

There was a reading of the Prologue from Eshonai's point of view, as well as (part of?) an interlude of an ardent reading a romance novel. We also have one page of Adolin remembering meeting a Ryshadium. 

On mobile right now, I'll see if I can find the links later, but good idea to get all the material in one place 

3 hours ago, Chull #445 said:

You maybe want to spoiler mark this, for those who doesnt want to know anything.

I think Amazon released some kind of summary for the book as well.

I also think Brandon confirmed that Mr. T will have an Interlude.

I had spoilers tags in the title of the thread.

Thanks for your tip on Amazon book preview - I've added it.

8 hours ago, axcellence said:

Unconfirmed but inferred facts

• Shallan and Kaladin might get together (Source: WoB)

Do you really think Brandon would drop such a huge spoiler? Brandon will often give vague answers to vaguely worded questions and this looks like another example. I wouldn't say there's much that you can really say from that particular WoB apart from: Shallan and Kaladin will meet a few times (ie Kaladin won't be away the entire book) and there might be "sparks" but it doesn't tell us where they end up at all. I'd suggest being quite careful about this sort of thing, unless you're happy to take a "tabloid" type stance on "facts".

25 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

Do you really think Brandon would drop such a huge spoiler? Brandon will often give vague answers to vaguely worded questions and this looks like another example. I wouldn't say there's much that you can really say from that particular WoB apart from: Shallan and Kaladin will meet a few times (ie Kaladin won't be away the entire book) and there might be "sparks" but it doesn't tell us where they end up at all. I'd suggest being quite careful about this sort of thing, unless you're happy to take a "tabloid" type stance on "facts".

I agree. Shalladin moments mean the two characters will interact. We also have another WoB about teenagers being confused as to whom they love. It thus seems probable both Kaladin and Shallan will look into their feelings towards each other: it doesn't however mean they will end up together. It just means this story arc won't be dropped and/or ignored.

6 hours ago, Ciridae said:

There was a reading of the Prologue from Eshonai's point of view, as well as (part of?) an interlude of an ardent reading a romance novel. We also have one page of Adolin remembering meeting a Ryshadium. 

On mobile right now, I'll see if I can find the links later, but good idea to get all the material in one place 

We also know Kaladin is getting four additional flashbacks featuring his time with Tarah.

Adolin getting one flashback chapter was one massive news to me as while Brandon always stated he wanted to write more of Kaladin, he always said he wouldn't write Adolin. So that is one big change from his initial planning.

It also means from now on, focus characters aren't the only one getting flashbacks. Other characters might get small scenes here and there. 

Edited by maxal

25 minutes ago, Chull #445 said:

I am in agreement with maxal here: the Adolin thing is new to me (as is the Taah chapters). Were did you guys get that information?

The Adolin flashback was new to me when @The One Who Connects told me about it a few weeks ago. I didn't learn it within this thread ;) I said it was great news, because Brandon has always been reticent to speak/write more of Adolin and now he wrote this. Since it is something he did recently, I figured something must have changed his mind, but I am very pleased he did.

I get most of my information either by scrolling down on Reddit and into the Events and Signings. @jofwu also makes, each month, a nice compilation of all WoB on Reddit which is a nice way to check if I haven't missed one.

I am curious about the Adolin and Kaladin flashback chapters, and in what context they will come up. Perhaps something in the present triggers the memories. There is a reading of one of the Kaladin/Tarah chapters here (starts about 3 minutes in). I had a thought about it:

Spoiler

Tarah left to work as a scribe at "the highprince's house." I assume this is Sadeas, since Amaram's army is part of his princedom. I wonder if this is anywhere near Hearthstone and/or what will become of the workers at Sadeas' house now that he's dead? Perhaps Kaladin wonders what happened to her, and their paths will cross when he goes to Hearthstone. Also, it is funny that he had the fleeting thought to try and get a job with Sadeas' guard so he could go with her. That would have been an ironic turn of events.

1 minute ago, Starla said:

I am curious about the Adolin and Kaladin flashback chapters, and in what context they will come up. Perhaps something in the present triggers the memories. There is a reading of one of the Kaladin/Tarah chapters here (starts about 3 minutes in). I had a thought about it:

Reveal hidden contents

Tarah left to work as a scribe at "the highprince's house." I assume this is Sadeas, since Amaram's army is part of his princedom. I wonder if this is anywhere near Hearthstone and/or what will become of the workers at Sadeas' house now that he's dead? Perhaps Kaladin wonders what happened to her, and their paths will cross when he goes to Hearthstone. Also, it is funny that he had the fleeting thought to try and get a job with Sadeas' guard so he could go with her. That would have been an ironic turn of events.

The Adolin chapter is presumably about him bonding Sureblood and has been added after the fourth draft which implies it wasn't initially planned. The context might be he has trouble with horses now Sureblood is dead and the flashback is meant to fleshed out the depth of the bond he lost.

I have tried to avoid reading the Kaladin one... I wish to retain some surprise for the book.

On 14/04/2017 at 11:42 PM, kari-no-sugata said:

Do you really think Brandon would drop such a huge spoiler?

Who knows...

On 14/04/2017 at 11:42 PM, kari-no-sugata said:

I'd suggest being quite careful about this sort of thing, unless you're happy to take a "tabloid" type stance on "facts".

I used the the words "uncomfirmed but inferred" in the headline.  I also used the words "might" rather than "will".  So, I had more than one qualifier.  I'll reword it to make it even more clear that this is not certain.

But yeah, Shalladin sounds more like Bennifer, Brangelina or some other celeb couple name mix.  So, curious that similar kind of labels used.  But, I'll take your point and rephrase.

Couple of thoughts on the cover, it could just be artistic license but:

1. If you look closely Jasnah is floating in mid air near the flying stairs; so i) we have flying stairs AND ii) a flying Jasnah -> thoughts?

2. Jasnah's shardblade appears to be forming - the middle of it is half mist also what is with the angle it's at - that would be a horrendous way to hold a sword (in fact if you look closely the sword isn't in her hand, this just seems really odd, does it mean something ?

Both of the abvoe points are probably nothing, just oddities of the cover art, but they both struck as very odd details.

44 minutes ago, rjl said:

1. If you look closely Jasnah is floating in mid air near the flying stairs; so i) we have flying stairs AND ii) a flying Jasnah -> thoughts?

Im quite sure that I read somewhere that flying Jasnah was the artists interpretation. Dont have source though.

5 hours ago, rjl said:

2. Jasnah's shardblade appears to be forming - the middle of it is half mist also what is with the angle it's at - that would be a horrendous way to hold a sword (in fact if you look closely the sword isn't in her hand, this just seems really odd, does it mean something ?

Both of the abvoe points are probably nothing, just oddities of the cover art, but they both struck as very odd details.

The cover is filled with artistic license and interpretation. I wouldn't take it as pure canon.

Hi guys, this is kind of random, but I was lurking on an old thread about Kaladin's return to Heartstone (x) where I read that "Brandon has read another Kaladin's chapter or perhaps it was the same one but it lasted longer" all the way to Kal apparently reuniting with his parents. Anyone has a transcript/video of that reading? I haven't seen it linked on the main post, though I may have missed it.

On 17/04/2017 at 5:39 PM, Extesian said:

Here's the rough transcript of the Oathbringer draft Prologue.

And here is a ttanscript of an interlude involving an Ardent and a romance book.

Something interesting from the oathbringer draft linked...  Is it just me, or is the implication that

Spoiler

"the five" had already decided to kill galivar well before the listeners knew he was trying to bring back their gods?  That blows a huge hole in the most often suggested reason they had him assassinated really, doesnt it...

2 hours ago, quadbox said:

Something interesting from the oathbringer draft linked...  Is it just me, or is the implication that

Reveal hidden contents

"the five" had already decided to kill galivar well before the listeners knew he was trying to bring back their gods?  That blows a huge hole in the most often suggested reason they had him assassinated really, doesnt it...

This wasn't my understanding. Oathbringer prologue spoiler...

Spoiler

Eshonai heard Gavilar's plan and then went to the 5, told them and they all agreed to kill him. The confusing thing is there's obviously a time gap between the 4th and 5th last paragraphs which makes it feel like she's thinking about the past, whereas she's actually reflecting on something that happened after the conversation with Gavilar. Imagine a 'several hours later' line after she leaves the meeting with Gavilar.

But yes there are some wonderful bits of info generally in that reading! Noting it's not canon til published.