Michael Kramer version of Warbreaker

Runyan Firetree

I found out today, via a reddit comment by Peter, that Michael Kramer recorded a version of Warbreaker for the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.  I've never seen this mentioned before today, so I'm wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to listen to this version and how it stacks up compared to the other two audio releases. 

I'd also like to know if Kramer uses the same voices for Warbreaker/Stormlight Spoiler

Spoiler

the worldhoppers that appear in warbreaker & stormlight.

http://www.loc.gov/nls/index.html

Spoiler

Author:        Sanderson, Brandon.
Title:         Warbreaker [sound recording] / Brandon
                  Sanderson.
Published:     Washington, D.C. : National Library Service for
                  the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress,
                  2010. (NLS, recording studio).
Description:   1 online resource (audio (23 hours, 50 minutes))
Book Number:   DB 69788
Dewey No.:     813.6 AFI 22
Notes:         Availability restricted to persons meeting the
                  eligibility requirements of the National Library Service for
                  the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress.
               Narrated by: Michael Kramer.
               Digital talking book. 2 levels. Digitally
                  mastered.
               King Dedelin sends his youngest daughter Siri
                  instead of the promised daughter Vivenna to marry Susebron,
                  the God King of Hallandren. Angered, Vivenna, who wields
                  magic using breath and colors, embarks on a journey with a
                  questionable group of Idrian operatives to rescue Siri.
               Male narrator. NLS/BPH
               May also be available for loan on cartridge.
                  Contact your cooperating library for more information.
               Recorded from: New York : Tor, 2009.
               Full audio with structure.
               System requirements: NLS authorized ANSI/NISO
                  Z39.86-2002 digital talking book (dtb) player compatible with
                  NLS flash cartridges. Web version requires computer with
                  Internet access, BARD password and NLS authorized digital
                  talking book player. Contact your cooperating library or the
                  National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
                  Handicapped, Library of Congress, for more information.
               Description based on print version.
               2 DM
               dbcurrent
Subjects:      Gods -- Fiction.
               Imaginary places -- Fiction.
               Magic -- Fiction.
               Princesses -- Fiction.
               Sisters -- Fiction.
               Downloadable books.
               Fantasy fiction. lcgft
               Fiction. lcgft
               Talking books. lcgft
Other authors: Kramer, Michael, narrator.
Control No.:   650702
Access:        Downloadable talking book.

Edited by runyan_ft

• 3 months later...

I wasn't aware there was another version besides his and the Graphic Audio. I think every Sanderson audiobook I've listened to was Michael Kramer. I do really like his interpretations of all the books though.

And to answer your other question, I believe he does, if a little bit gruffer in stormlight.

Edited by Cowmanthethird
Comma should have been a period

• 2 months later...

Yes, Hoid is pretty similar across all of the Sanderson Novels, Zahel is definitely a gruffer version of Vasher, though I would say it's close enough. It wasn't until reading S.A. the 2nd time after reading warbreaker I connected the color references with Zahel and Vasher. Though I don't remember him making much effort to say things like that in Warbreaker, He was also not the main protagonist of the book, important as he was.

Also, Elantris is not read by Michael Kramer. It's read by another, Jack Garrett. After having listened to Michael Kramer's voice for now 7 books, it's so hard to hear someone else. He sounds as though he is a more realistic version of Quagmire almost. (Edit), Hoid is in Elantris as well, and his voice is TOTALLY Different in this book but again, it's a different narrator for the audio book.

On a side note, How different would it be for a book about the COLOR OF LIFE, read to the blind. How many different descriptions would be required to use. How different must it have looked inside their heads. Not all blind people just see darkness, just as most colorblind people see colors differently, not just black and white. Often times people can have corrective blindness with strong lenses or lasic. However, I wonder what impact it would have to speak of the color of life to people that have experienced no color. Thoughts?

Edited by Knghtstlker

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I am REALLY interested in obtaining the Michael Kramer version of this book, i want to re-listen to it before Oathbringer but i would much rather not listen to the old narrator.  the link above takes me to a 404 page not found, is this audio book no longer available?

3 hours ago, menacekop said:

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I am REALLY interested in obtaining the Michael Kramer version of this book, i want to re-listen to it before Oathbringer but i would much rather not listen to the old narrator.  the link above takes me to a 404 page not found, is this audio book no longer available?

The link above looks like it was to the general site for the NLS, not to the specific entry for the book. I can still find that entry on the website, but it requires a password to actually access the audio file.

This recording was commissioned specifically by the NLS for those who have vision problems, to allow them free access to this book. It has never been available for public consumption, and the NLS is almost certainly not allowed to share this recording with those who do not have a disability that would prevent them from reading the book. The eligibility requirements to receive NLS materials like this recording are quite strict, so I'd encourage you to not waste your time seeking it out.

10 hours ago, menacekop said:

I would really have loved to have listened to his version of Lightsong.

Also a big Krammer fan, but he only has about 10 voices or so in his repertoire. I'm sure you have already heard the voice he would of used for him. I imagine he would sound a lot like Wayne from the mistborn era two books

• 4 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 1:07 AM, Knghtstlker said:

Yes, Hoid is pretty similar across all of the Sanderson Novels . . .

I wonder what impact it would have to speak of the color of life to people that have experienced no color. Thoughts?

Michael Kramer reads Hoid's voice different in Final Empire, but I think that's because he's acting as an informant, deliberately changing his voice and appearance.

While I have no first-hand experience with this, one of my friends is deaf and I think his circumstances are close enough to make a compatible comparison. He has a hearing aid, so he can hear some things, but he won't be able to distinguish words. That's mostly because he hasn't had a hearing aid for the first ten years of his life, which is when hearing children learn such skills. So I believe a blind person might have an idea in their head of what's going on, but I don't imagine it would be particularly accurate.

• Chaos locked this topic