Mistborn - Should I Read all of It?

Aelfraed878

Question

I am a very recent reader of the Cosmere Cycle. I just started BS' books with Way of Kings and I am planning to start on Mistborn after I'm finished with Words of Radiance. So, my question is, I know there's a second era after the original conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy, so do I need to read all of the books after Hero of Ages to understand what's going on with the Cosmere?

Edited by BasiltheMacedonian

8 answers to this question

I would say yes. Mostly because they are excellent books, and you see Scadrial in a whole new light. They're are some Cosmere tidbits scattered throughout the books, as well as updates on old characters. Another reason is that a bunch of new information about the worlds magic is revealed in the books. I recommend also reading Mistborn: Secret History AFTER you've read the first trilogy. That book has a lot of Cosmere wide knowledge.

Welcome to the Shard!

And yes, if you desire to become a Cosmere Grandmaster you'll want to read all the Mistborn books eventually. There's a lot of theorizing around here that assumes knowledge of Era 2 and Secret History, with the former starting to bring 'big picture' elements to Scadrial and the latter being very significant in terms of what we learn about the whole cosmere. SH shouldn't be read until at least you've finished Hero of Ages, though for best effect you might want to wait until finishing Bands of Mourning.

As noted too, the Era 2 books are just fun. And they do expand our knowledge of Scadrial's native magic systems as well in very important ways. And one of the big elements of Scadrial is that the world is dynamic and we're getting to see it change over a long timeframe so if that sort of worldbuilding interests you then it's an extra reason to eventually dive in. And in the longest of long-term senses, the final Era of the Mistborn series is supposed to be where the biggest crossover elements happen and is going to be the 'big finale' to the story of the cosmere, so there's another incentive in case I haven't given you enough already. xD

7 hours ago, Weltall said:

Welcome to the Shard!

And yes, if you desire to become a Cosmere Grandmaster you'll want to read all the Mistborn books eventually. There's a lot of theorizing around here that assumes knowledge of Era 2 and Secret History, with the former starting to bring 'big picture' elements to Scadrial and the latter being very significant in terms of what we learn about the whole cosmere. SH shouldn't be read until at least you've finished Hero of Ages, though for best effect you might want to wait until finishing Bands of Mourning.

As noted too, the Era 2 books are just fun. And they do expand our knowledge of Scadrial's native magic systems as well in very important ways. And one of the big elements of Scadrial is that the world is dynamic and we're getting to see it change over a long timeframe so if that sort of worldbuilding interests you then it's an extra reason to eventually dive in. And in the longest of long-term senses, the final Era of the Mistborn series is supposed to be where the biggest crossover elements happen and is going to be the 'big finale' to the story of the cosmere, so there's another incentive in case I haven't given you enough already. xD

Yeah, listen to him. He said it a lot better than I did haha. 

Oh my yes!  Even though era 2 was originally supposed to be a diversion for BS between larger novels, it evolved into something wonderful that not only include some of the funniest characters but also describes how the evolution of society incorporates the local magic system. Big surprises ahead for you!

On 4/9/2017 at 11:30 AM, Aelfraed878 said:

I am a very recent reader of the Cosmere Cycle. I just started BS' books with Way of Kings and I am planning to start on Mistborn after I'm finished with Words of Radiance. So, my question is, I know there's a second era after the original conclusion of the Mistborn trilogy, so do I need to read all of the books after Hero of Ages to understand what's going on with the Cosmere?

I'm really new to the Cosmere as well. I recently tore through the 6 books and enjoyed them all. I would say that the first trilogy is masterful in its plot, action, and twists, while the 2nd trilogy feels a bit more lighthearted or silly, while still giving essential knowledge for the cosmere. I agree that it is fun to watch a developing society incorporate the planet's magic system; the setting of the second trilogy reminded me of something like the industrial revolution or steampunk, but with allomancy. Pretty cool imo :)

Edited by PhillyCJ

Someone put together a flow chart of what you should read and in which order.  You'll enjoy it even if you don't read the series' in the order there, no doubt (though don't read any series out of order of course), but it could be really helpful.  It's over on StackExchange:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/85905/reading-order-for-cosmere-series-by-brandon-sanderson (scroll down)

Any living being: Should I read Mistborn?

Sharder: Yes! it's Sanderson!

ALB: Okay. what about Stormlight!

Sharder: What did I just say?

ALB: Okay, I'll read it. Should I read...

Sharder: Is it Brandon?

ALB: Yes, but...

Sharder: YEESSS! READ ALL SANDERSON! 

ALB: There's this...

Sharder: Read it!

ALB: I was going to say "there's this nice hot dog stand nearby". "Read it" doesn't make any sense.