If you were a twinborn, what would you like to be?

Lord Bookwyrm

Bruteblood (Pewter Misting Gold Ferring).  Burn Pewter to make yourself physically better all around, negating some of the worst effects of storing health, and have reserves of health to tap when someone actually manages to hurt you while burning Pewter.

It would be great at my real life job.  Pewter gives me the energy to get through my day, Gold erases the aches, pains, soreness, scrapes, and bruises I gradually accumulate.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna list a few combinations that'd be pretty cool.

First, a Tineye/Archivist. The ability to spy on people, whether through listening to them or seeing them, then being able to store the memory exactly as you heard/saw it would be quite useful as a scouting/spying technique.

A Slider/Spinner combo would be cool, as you could put up a time bubble, start tapping your metalmind, and just fire in random directions out of the bubble and hope that you hit something (which you should, since you're tapping luck).

Ooh, a Lurcher/Bloodmaker combo would be pretty cool. You just Pull the metal to you, and you don't have to worry (too much) about any metal that stabs you, because you can just heal from it!

This one doesn't have very many combat-oriented uses, but a Soother/Firesoul combo would make for a good person to help soothe children at night or when they're frightened, because they could Soothe away their fear, and then tap warmth and let the child snuggle up with them.

Those are the only ones I can think of right now.

Edited by StrikerEZ
I just realized I put Bloodsealer, not Bloodmaker

12 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

This one doesn't have very many combat-oriented uses, but a Soother/Firesoul combo would make for a good person to help soothe children at night or when they're frightened, because they could Soothe away their fear, and then tap warmth and let the child snuggle up with them.

What every Parent ever wants to have now.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:13 PM, The One Who Connects said:

What every Parent ever wants to have now.

Or, alternatively, a rioter version. They enflame the child's sense of happiness, and enhance their feeling of safety and security. And then repeat the same process with warmth.

Also, an Archivist ferring would make for great a storyteller, as they could memorize countless children stories to tell the kids. 

Edited by StrikerEZ
Typos/clarity

On 4/17/2017 at 8:26 PM, Riversong said:

I would almost definitely want bendalloy (allomantic) and bronze (feruchemical). I don't have nearly enough time as it is, and I could do things faster. As for bronze, I need a way to finish reading Brandon's new books without passing out (especially any books in SA).

Bendalloy isn't really so good for getting more time, since (a) it's used up quickly and isn't all that cheap, (b) your metabolism gets speeded up with everything else, so you don't get that much extra time, (c) you'd have to stop and start it whenever you want to move, and (d) anything involving interaction with the outside world (including the internet) might not work so well.

A better approach for getting extra time (and the one I'd take) is bronze/bronze.  Not having to spend several hours a day on sleep would be quite the time-saver.

For some reason, I keep wanting to pair Allomantic Steel/Allomantic Bendalloy...if only.

Anyway, if you had Gold/Copper, how could that work? Could you burn gold, then start filling the coppermind? Could you make it that you only remember one of the gold shadows' memories?

A Cadmium/Bendalloy Twinborn could just store lots of energy, then make a bubble somewhere secluded and wait awhile for the next Sanderson book to come out....

Tin/Steel would be a crazy speedy spy. Of course, what they might catch of certain events could be a bit blurry, considering how fast they go.

Edited by StrikerEZ
Typos/clarity

The possibilities for a Brass/Zinc combo could potentially be endless. You could tap your mental speed to make super precise Soothings and be able to tell exactly how someone is feeling, so you would know exactly which emotions to Soothe, which to leave alone, etc.

A Pewter/Electrum combo would be pretty cool, as you could just become a non-stop killing machine, and even if your pewter runs out or someone Leeches your pewter, you'd still have your determination to keep you going a little bit longer, or at least until you could get more pewter.

Electrum/Zinc would be really cool, as you'd be able to see what was gonna happen to you, and have the mental capacity to take this info and choose the best possible path to take, as well as predict what your opponent will do. In addition, depending on how far forward Electrum shadows go, you could apply this to ordinary decisions, like which type of food to eat, which path to take, etc.

Allomantic aluminium and feruchemical nicrosil the twin gnat!

But my real answer was set in stone when i chose my name here. I do however question why the Inquisitors were said to spend soo much time storing health when surely they would have pewter. 

For the real world, where I dont really think about combat, then zinc compounding for sure - unlimited mental speed plus rioting emotions in individuals or groups would be the quickest way to win at life.

Second choice steel + steel for in the cosmere. 

2 hours ago, PewterAGoldF said:

Allomantic aluminium and feruchemical nicrosil the twin gnat!

But my real answer was set in stone when i chose my name here. I do however question why the Inquisitors were said to spend soo much time storing health when surely they would have pewter. 

For the real world, where I dont really think about combat, then zinc compounding for sure - unlimited mental speed plus rioting emotions in individuals or groups would be the quickest way to win at life.

Second choice steel + steel for in the cosmere. 

The inquisitors required so much down time and sleep because of the strain that their spikes put on their bodies (Kaar and Marsh also revealed that they were in constant agony).  I hadn't considered that they probably used this downtime, at least in part, to store health.  Good thought!

An interesting side-effect of tapping zinc is that it's said to induce hunger.  My theory is that this is because tapping mental speed inadvertently causes the growth and development of new connections between the neurons in the brain, something that requires a significant amount of chemical energy.  Would probably be great for weight-loss, but you'd have to be careful to not starve to death on accident.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:09 AM, FiveLate said:

Pewter/Bendalloy and never have to suffer a hangover....err pewter drag again...

I think a better combo would be Pewter/Bronze. You just store tons of wakefulness during the night (can you store while sleeping? That'd make things easy) and then, you always have enough wakefulness in case you have to do a pewter drag.

Steel/Zinc would be cool, as you could become incredibly skilled with your steelpushing, probably as skilled as Kelsier or Zane. Plus, you could calculate the perfect trajectory for flight as you're in the middle of flying, and you'd know exactly when to drop coins/metal, how hard to Push, when to Push, etc.

I posted this somewhere else, but an Iron Compounder would be absolutely terrifying. Just store tons and tons of weight, then tap it all at once, making yourself super heavy, then you have enough weight to Pull a plane straight out of the sky. Of course, you'd probably die as well, but makes for a good terrorist. Or, if you want to survive, have an unkeyed metalmind with tons of speed stored in it.

Bronze/Tin would make it quite easy to find Allomancers, as you'd be able to feel where they are, then use your tinmind(s)'s senses to find them faster. Would it be possible to store your sense of Seeking in a tinmind? Because then you could tap it and be able to more closely tell what type of metal they're burning, where they are, and maybe even be able to sense feruchemists.

Chromium/Steel would be good to have in a fight with tons of Allomancers, as they could just speed over to the enemies and Leech away their metals and grab their metal vials. Not much else to say.

Cadmium/Chromium. You could just pop up a bubble, tap some Fortune, then wait with a gun out until someone you need to kill gets in your bubble. Or, you could wait for anything, really. I just like these sillier combos.

I love coming up with Twinborn combos. It's so much fun!

Edited by StrikerEZ
Typos/clarity

6 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Steel/Zinc would be cool, as you could become incredibly skilled with your steelpushing, probably as skilled as Kelsier or Zane. Plus, you could calculate the perfect trajectory for flight as you're in the middle of flying, and you'd know exactly when to drop coins/metal, how hard to Push, when to Push, etc.

Don't get me wrong here, Zinc is cool. But I keep seeing this idea that it would make you super intelligent, and I just don't think that's true. There are a lot of situations that being able to think fast would fix. But that's all it does. If you couldn't calculate the trajectory in your brain in your head without pen and paper, and figured out how to apply those calculations physically, Zinc is just going to be a frustrating exercise that makes you super hungry. 

46 minutes ago, Calderis said:

If you couldn't calculate the trajectory in your brain in your head without pen and paper, and figured out how to apply those calculations physically, Zinc is just going to be a frustrating exercise that makes you super hungry. 

"You couldn't do it in your head" isn't a completely accurate phrase. Any math can be done in your head given time to think, which is what Zinc seems to give you. (technically more thoughts in less time, b/c thinking faster, but you should get my point anyway.)

For example: Some math involves numbers that aren't very conducive to "in your head calc" (welcome to physics :)) so you just use the calculator, but that doesn't mean that you can't do that math in your head given enough time. Know the equation, be able to gauge the variables(your mass, distance, speed velocity, etc..), know a couple simplification tricks, and you're good.

Almost all math boils down to a mix of + , - , * , or /  in the end, and those aren't too bad to do in your head. Even Square Root can be made a bit easier(though I recommend using a calculator instead) as long as you understand the value of (sqrt10) and (10).

46 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Don't get me wrong here, Zinc is cool. But I keep seeing this idea that it would make you super intelligent, and I just don't think that's true.

I blame Taravangian for this misconception, honestly. He was thinking very fast, making those mental connections, etc... and we all ran with it.

Edited by The One Who Connects

5 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

You couldn't do it in your head" isn't a completely accurate phrase. Any math can be done in your head given time to think, which is what Zinc seems to give you. (technically more thoughts in less time, b/c thinking faster, but you should get my point anyway.)

For example: Some math involves numbers that aren't very conducive to "in your head calc" (welcome to physics :)) so you just use the calculator, but that doesn't mean that you can't do that math in your head given enough time. Know the equation, be able to gauge the variables(your mass, distance, speed velocity, etc..), know a couple simplification tricks, and you're good.

Almost all math boils down to a mix of + , - , * , or /  in the end, and those aren't too bad to do in your head. Even Square Root can be made a bit easier(though I recommend using a calculator instead) as long as you understand the value of (sqrt10) and (10).

I fully agree. This requires an understanding of the equations involved, and the existing mental acuity to complete them mentally already. 

If you couldn't accomplish it without zinc, in a stress free situation, without the visual aid of writing, Zinc isn't going to magically make you capable of it. 

If you do already possess the skills needed for your given situation, whether they be towards mathematics, psychology, or anything else, then Zinc is insanely useful. 

22 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I fully agree. This requires an understanding of the equations involved, and the existing mental acuity to complete them mentally already. 

If you couldn't accomplish it without zinc, in a stress free situation, without the visual aid of writing, Zinc isn't going to magically make you capable of it. 

If you do already possess the skills needed for your given situation, whether they be towards mathematics, psychology, or anything else, then Zinc is insanely useful. 

Oh, I know. Sorry if I wasn't clear, sometimes I forget that it's just mental speed, not mental capacity. But still, I think that, if such a combo did exist, they'd at least learn the basics of calculating trajectory, so they could use it in a pinch. But, I do agree, unless you were already good at math-I'm okay, but not that good-Zinc while steelpushing wouldn't help you too much.

As a compounder, I thought iron would be fun. Increase weight exponentially, then pull on a skyscraper/noble keep. Next, watch the entire building crumble. Only problem is a possibility of crushing yourself under you own weight but.... still fun.

Otherwise, I would go with Lurcher and Steelrunner. Especially for an Alloy of Law era. Dodging bullets, pulling away guns, all that joyous stuff!

Could a Tin/Gold twinborn become a savant, but tap their goldminds to heal theimself from the bad effects? Or is that assuming things that aren't true? 

Woah, what would happen if you were a Gold/Aluminum twinborn and you stored your Identity while burning gold? Could you store the identity of one of the gold shadows and later tap that identity to change who you are? What if you started storing before you started burning? Would you even see any gold shadows?

Bendalloy/Pewter would be really cool. You could pop up a bubble during a fight, store most of your strength (preferably with a teammate to keep watch) then drop the bubble and start tapping again, then rinse and repeat as much as necessary. This would require loads of bendalloy though, which sucks.

An Electrum Compounder would be insanely hard to beat. They would just store tons of determination before a fight, then tap it like crazy while burning tons of electrum, which makes them an almost unstoppable killing machine that can predict their enemy's every move.

Edited by StrikerEZ
Edited for clarity/typos

It's not what I would actually want, but it's a fun combo that it thought of that hadn't been mentioned.  Thug Steelrunner, you are basically an agent from the matrix.  And bonus, allomantic pewter doesn't make you all hulky so it even has the right visuals.

Iron/Steel has some interesting possibilities. If you Pulled on a piece of metal, then tapped your steelmind, would you get Pulled even faster? Even if that's not quite how it works, you could speed around and Pull on metal to change your direction while speeding around. You could also speed around and Pull guns and other weapons away from people. It doesn't matter if you actually catch the weapons, you just can speed back around while they try to grab their gun or whatever and stab them.

Bendalloy/Steel would just be insane. Just speed over somewhere, pop up a bubble, speed around inside the bubble, and take out everyone inside the bubble. Drop the bubble, then rinse and repeat the process. You'd have to be careful, as you could potentially speed out of the bubble (does that make the bubble go away, or can you keep a bubble active, even when you're not in it? If so, that'd be a cool thing to do with Cadmium/Steel). And it would require TONS of stored up speed, which is a downsides. That's only a big problem when you're fighting all the time.

Tin/Duralumin could be interesting, depending on how Connection works. If it works just like the medallions, you could use it to connect yourself to a different region/country and be like an international spy with the tin and stuff. Alternately, Copper/Duralumin could be useful too, as you could store memories of everything that you learn from the spying.

8 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

You'd have to be careful, as you could potentially speed out of the bubble (does that make the bubble go away, or can you keep a bubble active, even when you're not in it? If so, that'd be a cool thing to do with Cadmium/Steel).

I'm pretty sure that in one of the Wax & Wayne they say that the bubble breaks when the allomancer leaves it.

8 hours ago, Storming Radiant said:

I'm pretty sure that in one of the Wax & Wayne they say that the bubble breaks when the allomancer leaves it.

Okay, thank you. I couldn't remember if they did or not.

If I had to choose, I would want Allomantic Steel and Feruchemal Tin. Steelpushing is one of my favorite parts of this magic system, and I think Wax illustrates how amazing it is as an ability in an era with guns. Being able to store senses would not only serve as an advantage when tapping those reserves, but it would also  provide good strategic storing opportunities. Example: In a gunfight or near an explosion, storing Hearing would deaden the sounds.