Which character is it?

Borio Singaldi

So I am going to describe a specific character from a Sanderson series, and I want you to tell me who it is! Simple!

First off, this character is a main character in a trilogy of books who is somewhat of a protagonist and an antagonist. At the start of the trilogy, he is an important member of a discreet rebellion against a tyrannical regime. The character is a gruff, hardened, middle-aged man who possesses superhuman abilities. Those abilities remain unknown until the end of the first book in the trilogy, where he is revealed to have them in an epic, deus-ex-machina-kind of way (after the readers assume he is dead.) This character struggles with control of himself and his identity in the second book in the trilogy, because an evil outside force is trying to take control of him. At the end of that second book, the evil force takes control of him and he becomes a villain character. In the third book, he is one of the main antagonists, though he appears somewhat infrequently. At the end of that third book, he is loosed from the evil control that has warped his mind and actions and performs an act of self-redemption. By the time the trilogy is over, he is still alive and his fate remains unknown. He kills many people throughout the trilogy of books. He is known for dressing in black (for the most part). He plays somewhat of a mentor role to the primary main character of the series in some way or another. He also has a cool nickname that is a compound word.

So the big question is...:unsure:... am I talking about Prof from the Reckoners series or Marsh from the Mistborn series? ;)

Hee hee hee hee hee...

Prof: Two lines give it away

36 minutes ago, Firerust the Terris Gyorn said:

Those abilities remain unknown until the end of the first book in the trilogy,

He also has a cool nickname that is a compound word.

While Marsh was once know as Iron eyes it didn't stick, And his powers are known from the beginning... at least his natural ones.

1 hour ago, Tsidqiyah said:

While Marsh was once know as Iron eyes it didn't stick

If I were you I would read era two again, as it's basically the only name they call him by.

Edit: I guess Marsh, seeing that you posted the topic on the Mistborn forum.

Edited by kenod

I'd say Prof, even though I haven't read the Reckoners yet, just because I don't really think that Marsh really played the role of a mentor to Vin very much, other than maybe a few quick exchanges in the first book, which were more information based, not the type of conversations between teacher and student/father and daughter, and  he never really connects with her. Her real mentors were Kelsier, and Sazed from what I can see.

Edited by Zeldan

Too many discrepancies for it to be Marsh. He's not a mentor to Vin and his powers aren't unknown. And even at the end, the powers weren't unknown; his being alive was. Also, Marsh's fate isn't unknown; he survives and is still helping Scadrial. Last we knew he was taking a look at the South there...

Spoiler

But Prof doesn't quite make sense either. He wasn't taken over by an external force, but by an internal one. Manipulated by an external force, but his fears were his own. I also wouldn't say he appears 'infrequently' in Calamity. (There is a fairly good argument for having the book be called LimeLight and having a fourth deal with Calamity.) His fate is also not unknown; he helps defeat Calamity and, we can assume, joins David in protecting the world.

It does fit Prof slightly better than Marsh, but I don't think it really fits either.

4 hours ago, kenod said:

If I were you I would read era two again, as it's basically the only name they call him by.

Edit: I guess Marsh, seeing that you posted the topic on the Mistborn forum.

True but the OP was specifically about the first trilogy, not Era 2.  

Okay, I have a confession to make: There was never meant to be a right or wrong answer; I never meant it to be either Prof or Marsh. This was just my humorous way of pointing out the vast similarities between the two characters. And now, thanks to all of you pointing out the minor discrepancies I wrote that made my post seem to go in favor of Prof, I can rectify what I wrote to make it seem more even and unbiased. Thank you all for your help. Muahahahaha.

• Chaos locked this topic