Steris theory

TheAlmighty

I'm rereading Bands of Mourning and in chapter 5 I came across this passage. Wax and Steris are on the train to New Seran. Steris is reading a book and Wax tried to get her attention. 

No reply came. He glanced toward his fiancée, who still sat across the compartment from him, huddled in a seat with a blanket around her shoulders. She didn't appear to have noticed the stop or the eggs; her face was stuck so far into her book that snapping it closed would have caught her nose. 

This immediately reminded me of Sazed and Tindwyl studying their copperminds in Well of Ascension. They would zone out while they did. I know people can get engrossed in a book. But wait, there's more! 

When Wax managed to get her attention, she seemed to be in a fog. He asked her a question: 

"Oh, hum, yes. Let's see. Outer cities... Political situation." She seemed to need a moment to compose herself. What had she read in that history that was so disconcerting? "Well, I'm not surprised to hear of it. They aren't happy for obvious reasons. 

My thinking is he asked her a question and she accessed a coppermind for the answer. 

I know it's popular to speculate that Steris is this or that misting/ferring. I also know Brandon has said she's on the Autism/Aspergers spectrum. But these quotes struck me as odd. 

I searched through Alloy and Shadows and couldn't find any similar examples of Steris either tapping a coppermind, or wearing visible copper. But let's be honest, she would never show it. Also, she was captured by the Vanishers, and not killed for her investiture. So, it's admittedly a flimsy theory. But I found it interesting. 

tl;dr Steris is an Archivist (copper ferring). It would certainly compliment her spectrum disorder. It could help explain her amazing ability to make lists. 

Interesting theory.  But I think what she was reading, and how scandalous/embarrassing it was had more to do with her being so focused than anything else, right?

Spoiler

She was reading a guide to physiology and some other stuff pertaining to intimate relations, right?  Hidden inside the other book - And it was so new and fascinating/horrifying that she could not take her eyes away, and was still at the front of her mind, distracting her from all else when asked questions about what she actually appeared to be reading.

I think you've mis-read the situation entirely, in a very interesting fashion.  Though I could be wrong as well.

• Chaos locked this topic