Marasi Colms in Mistborn Era 3

iohn

Question

Is it possible that Marasi could make a Cadmium bubble last long enough that she ends up in the third era mistborn novels?

I'm not sure why this would happen, maybe she gets stuck in one on accident, or maybe she becomes aware of something important happening a few centuries in the future, but can anybody confirm or deny if this is possible?

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I remember a WoB from ... somewhere that a Cadmium Savant could probably end up living longer, but without the context of the WoB I can't say much. (Off to find Kurk's sig) I don't think they could make the bubble last for a few centuries outside time, since they would have to spend a long while in the bubble, and getting older.

Ha! I found my sig first! :P

Cadmium hermit can time-capsule self:

[1:00:00]
Alterodent: If a hermit were to take a whole lot of Cadmium and go off and live by himself, how far within a lifetime, reasonably, could he get into the future by essentially time-capsuling himself?
A: <laughs thoughtfully>
Q: Assuming they live to be 70 or 75.
A: They could get pretty far.
Q: What would the savantism do to them?
A: The savantism would probably allow them to get further… It’s completely reasonable… you can treat this like relativistic travel.

@Andy92 The WoB says that you can use cadmium to get yourself into the future in a manner comparable to relatavistic time travel. That wouldn't work if you were actually aging at the same rate as time outside the bubble. We also have another WoB that confirms that the flow of time is actually being altered within the bubbles, not just perception of time. So if you spent twenty seconds inside a cadmium bubble and twenty minutes passed outside, your spiritual age would be twenty seconds older rather than twenty minutes.

@iohn I don't think we can do the math just yet, though if we had more numbers it would totally be possible to calculate the likelihood of Marasi pulling a stunt like this off. I think this is a really neat idea so I gave it a bit of thought and we'd need to know all the following:

• How much time is supposed to elapse between the end of The Lost Metal and the start of Era 3. Without this we have no way of knowing how much time Marasi needs to compress.
  • How much time one can compress for a given amount of cadmium, including any difference caused by flaring so we can figure out the most efficient way to get Marasi to the start of Era 3.
  • How becoming a Savant would alter the above numbers and some idea when in the process of constant burning of cadmium she'd become one, in order to be as precise as possible.
  • A reasonably accurate estimate of Marasi's remaining lifespan so we know how long she could do this before dying of old age regardless.
  • On the assumption that Marasi can live long enough 'inside' to bridge the gap between Eras we'd need to calculate how much cadmium would be required to do it in the most efficient manner possible, then figure out whether she's capable of getting that much of the metal (both in terms of cost and supply generally). Assuming the amount isn't completely unreasonable and she's going to live long enough that she isn't right on the margin of being able to make it, this factor probably isn't as important since there's no obvious reason she couldn't stop compressing time for a while to go resupply herself.
  • Similarly, she'd need access to however much food and water would be required for the time spent 'inside' but that could be dealt with via stopping to resupply as well.
Edited by Weltall

I remember a WoB from ... somewhere that a Cadmium Savant could probably end up living longer, but without the context of the WoB I can't say much. (Off to find Kurk's sig) I don't think they could make the bubble last for a few centuries outside time, since they would have to spend a long while in the bubble, and getting older.

It's been theorized before. We'd need to know how long a timeskip is planned between Eras 2 and 3, what sort of time compression you get with cadmium and how much of the stuff she could get her hands on to know whether Marasi could actually do it but so far as we know there isn't any reason it isn't hypothetically possible.

Edited by Weltall

I suppose it would depend on just how Cadmium bubbles work. When you're inside a bubble, do you age at the speed of time outside the bubble? Or do you age at the speed of how you perceive time inside of the bubble? Keeping yourself dormant until some time in the future seems possible if it works the second way. If it works for first way, it seems like the person inside the bubble would just be accelerating their death due to old age. 

Is it worth trying to do any math on this one? Maybe when i get home this afternoon I'll grab AoL and see if that gives enough numbers to make a guess, granted that doesn't take into account savantism. That or based on that WoB i guess we could do some special theory of relativity math to make a prediction.