11 minutes ago, Ornstein said:

If this is still open I would like to join. just died in the other game i was in and looking to play once more! I would like to be Conner. (not very good at R-P ing)

Still almost a week before it starts. :-) If you want any help RPing, we can help, or you can just enjoy the game without it.

5 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Still almost a week before it starts. :-) If you want any help RPing, we can help, or you can just enjoy the game without it.

I see what I can do when the game starts

19 hours ago, Frozen Mint said:

Also, if you haven't read the Rithmatist, go read it. Gosh, what kind of Sanderson forums are these. :P 

On this is I agree on SO many levels. 

I realized I haven't posted one of these yet. Whoops. Thanks to the new sign-ups the game is back to normal size.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Elenion: Isaac "The Hammer" Jones
  2. Amanuensis: Cole
  3. Silverblade5: Ryth
  4. _Stick_: Stick
  5. Darkness Ascendant: K'Sarben
  6. Seonid: Shem Onidsen
  7. Jondesu: Kyle
  8. Hemalurgic_Headshot: Gunther the Slow
  9. OrlokTsubodai: Locke
  10. A Joe in the Bush: Joel
  11. Ecthelion III: Daggertongue
  12. Frozen Mint: Shanice
  13. Paranoid King: Gimmel
  14. Ornstein: Conner
  15. Straw: Regem Noctis
  16. randuir: Neil Kores
  17. TheMightyLopen: Lance Willis
  18. Brightness Radiant: Amelia

Edited by Sart
Added the new players

It seems like I'll have time to play in this game after all. I'm not familiar with the rithmatist lore, but I've just loaded the book on my e-reader, so that should be fixed somewhat before the start of the game. Signing up as Neil Kores.

Edited by randuir
I should learn to proofread

I'll be out of town Monday night through at least Tuesday afternoon and possibly longer, and while I have no doubt I'll get on and play some (I'll need to distract myself), I won't be as active as I would normally try to be.

I'll sign up as Lance Willis. He was discharged when his writing hand was severely injured, leaving him unable to do a Rithmatists job properly. He's practiced with his other hand since then, so when he heard they were taking anyone they could, he didn't hesitate to come back even though he's not back to his old self.

Just a warning, but I won't be able to be quite as active as I normally am, since I'm alive in LG32 and I'm going to help El run LG33 very soon, so I'll be preparing for that and it'll probably start when this is still going. Looking forward to a Rithmatist game though! :)

Good  thing I was rereading the rules and signup details.

Neil Kores had had an examplary service record untill one incident in which he froze during a critical defense of the circle. If it hadn't been for the quick action of several fellow rithmatists his position would have been overrun. 

Neil was declared unfit for active duty after psychological evaluation and was discharged shortly afterwards.

15 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Never role played before so please forgive me in advance!     I'm signing up as Amelia. I kinda maybe got discharged for using up a rithmatist's chalk stash on a meaningless piece of artwork right before we got attacked...oops

Welcome to SE! Is this your first time playing a mafia-style game, or just RPing?

1 hour ago, Elenion said:

Welcome to SE! Is this your first time playing a mafia-style game, or just RPing?

Thanks! Kinda both... I played mafia once several years ago and that was the only time...my brother @TheMightyLopen has been trying to get me to join SE for a while haha...he also was the one who got me reading Sanderson's books...So he's definitely a good brother lol

chalkling_bull.png

It started with a bang.

The last shipment of troops had finally arrived in camp. The hike here had been particularly arduous. The roads were slick with mud, and rain continued to pour down as they huddled into the miserable cabin.

“So, why’d they kick you guys out?” asked Isaac, chewing on a piece of jerky.

“What do you mean, kicked out?” responded Amelia. “I didn’t get kicked out. What are you talking about, I wasn’t kicked out. It was just a… extended stay of action.”

“That’s called being kicked out.” Ryth remarked dryly.

“So… everyone here has been discharged? I wonder why they gathered us all together.” questioned Lance.

“Don’t know, don’t care.” K’Sarben muttered.

“Still, it is a bit odd.” remarked Cole.

“It’s probably because we’re the only ones they could find for this job.” Locke hypothesized.

“It is kind of a hell hole.” Joel said, his eyes fluttering shut.

The blast jolted him awake.

“What in the…” He looked out the door. “Oh Master preserve me.”

A five foot hole had been blown in the middle of the Circle. The chalklings that had been aimlessly circling around began swarming through the gap. The camp was overrun in minutes.

“Everyone, to your battle positions. We can’t let them get through!” shouted Dagger Tongue.

“It’s the Forgotten, they sabotaged us! They’re among us!” Kyle yelled.

“There’s no time for this. We’ll fight after the camp is safe.” argued Shanice.

Stick readied herself for the attack, and the rest of the camp began following suit. Still, the seed of doubt was planted in their mind. They began to bicker among one another. Soon the camp would be filled with blood, and not all of it would be from the chalklings.

Welcome to MR21. The cycle will end 48 hours from now, Wednesday at 8 PM Eastern Time. Also, a friendly reminder to all villagers: Draw your lines of warding.

Player List:

Hide contents
  1. Elenion: Isaac "The Hammer" Jones
  2. Amanuensis: Cole
  3. Silverblade5: Ryth
  4. _Stick_: Stick
  5. Darkness Ascendant: K'Sarben
  6. Seonid: Shem Onidsen
  7. Jondesu: Kyle
  8. Hemalurgic_Headshot: Gunther the Slow
  9. OrlokTsubodai: Locke
  10. A Joe in the Bush: Joel
  11. Ecthelion III: Daggertongue
  12. Frozen Mint: Shanice
  13. Paranoid King: Gimmel
  14. Ornstein: Conner
  15. Straw: Regem Noctis
  16. randuir: Neil Kores
  17. TheMightyLopen: Lance Willis
  18. Brightness Radiant: Amelia

All role PMs should be sent out. Let me know if you have any questions, or if I missed you. Make sure to mention me if you have any rules questions, and include me in all PMs relating to this game. Thanks.

Gunther the Slow turned his head... slowly... almost there... just about... to get there... ah. There were chalklings pouring through the camp's defenses. How nice. 

"Hurryuphere'syourchalk!" Horatio thrust a thick stick of chalk into Gunther's sloth claws. Gunther leaned forward... down... over... towards... the... ground. He stretched his arm... out... towards the stone... with his chalk... to draw... a line... He applied pressure... on the... chalk... to make a... white mark on... the stone... a Line... of Forbiddance... to stall... the oncoming... wave... of chalklings. The line was complete. A meter long thick line of chalk lined the ground before Gunther. He leaned forward to make another Line... to box... himself... in. Horatio bounced anxiously on his shoulder.

"AhforMaster'ssakegetamoveonIdon'twanttodie!" Gunther finished the second Line and moved forward... chalk in hand... to make... another one. The other Rithmatists had already put up an extemporaneous defense at the front lines, but Gunther was oblivious. He was still... drawing... his Box... of Forbiddance.

• Alvron locked this topic

"Get your shields up, then blow them to oblivion!" Jones' voice boomed over the din of battle. He reached into his belt and pulled out a stick of chalk, spinning in place as he drew a Circle of Warding around himself. His meaty hands crushed the chalk halfway through, but he produced another stick from his belt and finished the circle. It wasn't the prettiest Circle of Warding; in fact, it looked like the Rithmatist who had drawn it was half-drunk, but "The Hammer" didn't plan on letting his foes get near enough for that to be a problem. Grinning, and now brandishing a stick of chalk in each fist, he began to make Lines of Vigor as fast as he could, making them tightly-bunched for maximum potency.

I think one of our biggest problems this game is going to be balancing our number of Lines of Warding needed to defend against the chalklings with our other actions. The most efficient way to solve that would be to make assignments in-thread, but that way the elims would know who couldn't be drawing Lines of Forbiddance on any given night. What if we each flipped a coin? If you get heads, you make Warding on odd cycles; tails, even cycles. This makes for an average of 9 assigned Wardings a night, which should be enough even factoring in inactive players and elims trying to make the defense fail. Nobody discloses which cycles they are Warding to anybody else, so the elims can't specifically target one group over the other.

Okay, first thing we need to figure out is Lines of Warding to prevent any conversions. This means we need to estimate how many Forgotten we think there are right now. I think I'd guess 3, considering there is the possibility for conversion, so their numbers should start a little lower than normal. Which means I'd personally prefer we have at least 5 Lines of Warding up, in case the Forgotten are able to break any with Lines of Vigor or there's 4 of them. Probably would be best to put up more than that honestly, just to be safe, but with the rule that you can't do the same action 2 Cycles in a row, we need to make sure we've got a good system for putting up Lines of Warding each Cycle. Obviously we can't just plan everything out in the open, since that would let the Forgotten know exactly who to target and when they can target someone.

The more I think about this, the more complex it seems. >> Maybe we could do something like, pair players together? Which would give us 9 pairs, and then they could switch off doing Lines of Warding. Without saying who went first or whatever. Obviously, not everyone is a Rithmatist, so not every pair would be able to do a Line of Warding each Cycle, but we might be able to work it out. Thoughts?

And to get the voting started, Elenion! I saw you around a little while ago, but you didn't post, so now I'm voting on you. ...dangit. Nevermind then! Flipping a coin won't give us an exact way to switch off, but I'm not sure a pairing system would either.

Paranoid King, I won't vote on you, since you just came back(welcome back, btw!), but it would be great if you could post. I'll find somewhere else to put my vote later.

6 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Flipping a coin won't give us an exact way to switch off, but I'm not sure a pairing system would either.

It wouldn't be exact, but with 18 players we could end up with a 10-8 switchoff or even an 11-7 switchoff and it would be fine. Chances of it ending up more unbalanced than that are pretty slim. Pairing would make the numbers more exact, but at the cost that the elims would know when their partner would be vulnerable.