A Letter in Oathbringer?

Borio Singaldi

2 hours ago, Figberts said:

We don't really know what happens at the tenth heightening, so it could be that if enough breath, you can worldhop.

Vasher, Denth, and possibly Shashara have worldhopped though. I don't think all 3 of them could have achieved the 10th Heightening concurrently, if only because I would wonder where Denth's store of breath went.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:54 AM, hypatia said:

Endowment as a Shard possibly meddling on Roshar remainds me of this recent WoB:

"There are Shards whose Shardpools are not on the planet they currently inhabit. At least one."

and my first thought reading WoR when Shallan describes this pool at the Frostlands with its colours:

Endowment, what are you doing on Roshar?

We already have an example of this; Sixth of the Dusk has a Perpendicularity that is on a planet with no Shard.

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

And we're sure the Perpendicularit(y/ies) on Threnody are Ambition's, right?

I think all we know for sure is that Nazh got off Threnody, but we don't know if it was via a Perpendicularity or some other method we've yet to be exposed to.  Considering how Khriss referred to the pool on First of the Sun and the fact that it was such an anomaly in a non-Shardic system, I would be surprised if there was a pool on Threnody, but it's possible there's some other form of Perpendicularity we haven't seen.

I don't think there's any hint of perpendicularities in Threnody other than Khriss' reference.

Unfortunately, visiting the planet is difficult, as there is no stable perpendicularity—only very unstable ones that cannot be predicted easily, and have a somewhat morbid origin.

She may be wrong about there being no stable one, but she seems confident. The origin of the unstable ones, who knows. I still think the investiture used to power them, however they form, may be the twisted chunks of Ambition's investiture though.

4 hours ago, Extesian said:

I don't think there's any hint of perpendicularities in Threnody other than Khriss' reference.

She may be wrong about there being no stable one, but she seems confident. The origin of the unstable ones, who knows. I still think the investiture used to power them, however they form, may be the twisted chunks of Ambition's investiture though.

Or maybe one forms at the moment a shade forms. I'm sure that something like a cognitive shadow manifesting physically would at least require a brief connection between realms. Actually, following this reasoning, whenever spren manifest in the physical realm the same might be true. Also, if investiture follows fundamental universal physics, then perpendicularities should occasionally form randomly. Most likely they would be brief and small, but it might be possible that various investitures could be used to stabilize them.

• Chaos locked this topic