Firerust

A Letter in Oathbringer?

36 posts in this topic

So this is just something up for speculation and possible theorizing:

Do any of you think we'll get another major Letter written among the epigraphs of Oathbringer as we had with The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance? And if so, who do you think will be the one writing the Letter and what do you think it will be about? Just wondering what y'all think of it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be surprised if Hoid and Frost have a running conversation back and forth throughout Stormlight Archive or at least up until Book 5, then transitioning to something else in the back half. In the absence of that, my best guess would be that we would get other cosmere-aware parties. Say, someone in the Seventeenth Shard on Roshar writing to Frost or to another member in Silverlight, or even Nazh and Khriss exchanging letters. But right now I'll bet my spheres on at least three more letters in the Hoid/Frost exchange. I don't have any textual basis for it, just a gut feeling that they aren't done trying to persuade the other to their point of view.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A third letter segment has been confirmed for Oathbringer.

 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall hearing that we'll be getting Letters in all five of the first half of Stormlight, but I might be getting it confused with five different flashbacks to Gavilar's death.

I don't think Hoid will be writing to Frost in this one. He's looking for help with Odium, and Frost made his position clear, and was even trying to change Hoid's mind. No, I think Hoid will be asking another Shard for help, and that the fourth book will have that Shard's response. ("I am, unfortunately, unable to assist you.") And then, third time's the charm, and whoever Hoid writes to in the fifth book will answer on-screen in a big way. That's my gut feeling.

10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I seem to recall hearing that we'll be getting Letters in all five of the first half of Stormlight, but I might be getting it confused with five different flashbacks to Gavilar's death.

I don't think Hoid will be writing to Frost in this one. He's looking for help with Odium, and Frost made his position clear, and was even trying to change Hoid's mind. No, I think Hoid will be asking another Shard for help, and that the fourth book will have that Shard's response. ("I am, unfortunately, unable to assist you.") And then, third time's the charm, and whoever Hoid writes to in the fifth book will answer on-screen in a big way. That's my gut feeling.

I like this thinking. Though I tend to think (or maybe just want) it to be someone else entirely. I want to see a Khriss-Hoid exchange. Khriss asking for information, or offering to share it, Hoid trolling her with witty inanities and half-truths or something similar.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to imagine that the 5th letter will be a reply from Endowment, saying that she started on this centuries ago, and her man is already in place. 

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZenBossanova said:

I like to imagine that the 5th letter will be a reply from Endowment, saying that she started on this centuries ago, and her man is already in place. 

Then the next big twist will be that the 'man' is Nightblood, and not Vasher.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of Endowment skillfully tightening the noose before Odium is even aware of it. 

Pure speculation, of course, but that would be awesome.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darkness,

How about Szeth being Honors Champ....

And Kaladin being Odiums? 

However Vasher being Endowments Champ could tip the scales. Good thought there whomever that thought came from. 

...

Still think Rayse will die and another Shard picks it up.

Im also thinking the Fainlife may be the red haze Harmony showed Wax.

And i also think Autonomy will play a major part in SA arc 1.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Im also thinking the Fainlife may be the red haze Harmony showed Wax.

Do we even know what the Fainlife is? Whenever i hear that i think of something like a sentient fern (maybe because i keep missreading it as Farnlife). Is there a connection between Fainlife and Odium? Or why did you mention it? I´m rather confused by these sentient ferns...

Hoid asking other people for help against Odium is a great idea, didn´t even think of that. I thought the Hoid/Frost conversation would continue, but both seem to hold pretty strong to their opinion, so a continued conversation probably wouldn´t help either convince the other (we would be the only ones to profit from a continued conversation, by getting new information about the big cosmere players)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fainlife is something that appeared in the sample chapters of Liar of Partinel (thus predating the Shattering) and while we know not to treat that as canon and we can't be certain what will be kept in the final version, the idea of fainlife itself has been confirmed as canon due to its mention in Arcanum Unbounded.

12 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

I like to imagine that the 5th letter will be a reply from Endowment, saying that she started on this centuries ago, and her man is already in place. 

I gotta admit, this would be awesome. Maybe even awesomer than Lift.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Endowment as a Shard possibly meddling on Roshar remainds me of this recent WoB:

"There are Shards whose Shardpools are not on the planet they currently inhabit. At least one."

and my first thought reading WoR when Shallan describes this pool at the Frostlands with its colours:

Endowment, what are you doing on Roshar?

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hypatia said:

Endowment as a Shard possibly meddling on Roshar remainds me of this recent WoB:

"There are Shards whose Shardpools are not on the planet they currently inhabit. At least one."

and my first thought reading WoR when Shallan describes this pool at the Frostlands with its colours:

Endowment, what are you doing on Roshar?

It's a good idea, and a fair connection due to colors, but biggest issue is Vasher. If the Shardpool isn't in Nalthis, then the 5 Scholars figured out a way to worldhop with just Breath.

If anyone could figure it out, it'd be Vasher and Co. but I'm not sure the magic there is capable of worldhopping on its own.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

If anyone could figure it out, it'd be Vasher and Co. but I'm not sure the magic there is capable of worldhopping on its own.

Elsecalling does so by binding the surge of transportation and creating a perpendicularity within the surgebinder. Since one magic can do it, I see no reason that no others can.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Elsecalling does so by binding the surge of transportation and creating a perpendicularity within the surgebinder. Since one magic can do it, I see no reason that no others can.

I'm sure there are other magic systems that can, but I would be a little surprised if Breath/Awakening could do that, simply because we haven't seen anything that remotely approaches it.  We know there's a lot we don't know about it, though, so I wouldn't rule it out, especially for Vasher and Co. (that's a term I'm going to stick with).

I highly doubt that Endowment's Shardpool isn't on Nalthis, though.  Like many other people, I suspect hers is responsible in some way for the Tears of Edgli.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

It's a good idea, and a fair connection due to colors, but biggest issue is Vasher. If the Shardpool isn't in Nalthis, then the 5 Scholars figured out a way to worldhop with just Breath.

If anyone could figure it out, it'd be Vasher and Co. but I'm not sure the magic there is capable of worldhopping on its own.

The fact that the Tears of Egdli only grow in one specific place is also very suggestive of a Shardpool.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly just think that the lake/pond/pool that Shallan found was only remarked upon as colorful, because the surrounding landscape was so not. The area around the Shattered Plains has been often remarked as being barren compared to where she grew up. So to find life and lots of it in all of it's variety in that place just makes it stand out more. If I am remembering correctly, the chasms were also fairly colorful as well.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Edgli's perpendicularity, we have WoB that if there had been an essay on Nalthis in Arcanum Unbounded one of the things it would have contained would be hints to where the pool could be found which rather strongly suggests that there is one on the planet, in addition to the other reasons to suspect it. My bet for the Shard whose pool isn't on the world they currently inhabit (assuming it's one we know something about already) would be Autonomy since that fits Bavadin's isolationist practices.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Since one magic can do it, I see no reason that no others can.

I know that Elsecalling can worldhop, and I've assumed that you could also do this with Aon Tia(if you had precise coordinates), but nothing in Scadrian magic seems conducive towards worldhopping and "FTL space era" seems to support that idea. I know I'm reaching, no need to remind me. :)I just don't think there is anything in Awakening that could assist in worldhopping because how the magic works doesn't appear helpful in that regard.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I know that Elsecalling can worldhop, and I've assumed that you could also do this with Aon Tia(if you had precise coordinates), but nothing in Scadrian magic seems conducive towards worldhopping and "FTL space era" seems to support that idea. I know I'm reaching, no need to remind me. :)I just don't think there is anything in Awakening that could assist in worldhopping because how the magic works doesn't appear helpful in that regard.

I see. I just misinterpreted what you said. Didn't missed the "there" which only pointed to Nalthian magic and thought you were referring to all magics. I wonder though, if you could create a Type IV like Nightblood which collects investiture then uses it to create temporary perpendicularities. What Nightblood does is already fairly far removed from what awakening can normally do, and assuming that only awakening is involved, it seems you could manage to create some very odd things.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we've seen of Awakening seems severely limited by in world knowledge. All of the rules of Awakening apply to inanimate objects, as if this is all Awakening can effect. Nightblood, as @Spoolofwhool just stated, seems fairly far removed from normal Awakening, and it still fits into the "inanimate object" category. 

But we have seen Vasher use a command on a person. There are abilities outside of the commonly known bounds.

I think Awakening is capable of much much more than we've seen, but without the in world knowledge, there's no Ars Arcanum to help us learn the realmatic implications and functional limits. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Calderis said:

But we have seen Vasher use a command on a person. There are abilities outside of the commonly known bounds.

Unless I'm remembering a different scene(entirely possible) didn't he tell the girl "I'm going to say something to you, and you're going to repeat it, and I need you to mean it." or something to that effect?

It's still commands that affect people, but affecting oneself rather than others

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True. I forgot about about that. Doesn't change the point I'm trying to make, that there's an entire set of rules for Awakening we know nothing about... But yeah. I would really like to see Nightblood written just to learn more about Breath and Awakening, and all the things we don't know that we don't know. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I met Brandon in Spokane a few years ago with Chaos, we asked him about Endowment's Shardpool. Brandon confirmed that it does exist on Nalthis and is leaking somehow, which is why the Tears only grow in Hallendran. I can find the specific interview later if people are interested.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2017 at 7:01 AM, The One Who Connects said:

It's a good idea, and a fair connection due to colors, but biggest issue is Vasher. If the Shardpool isn't in Nalthis, then the 5 Scholars figured out a way to worldhop with just Breath.

If anyone could figure it out, it'd be Vasher and Co. but I'm not sure the magic there is capable of worldhopping on its own.

We don't really know what happens at the tenth heightening, so it could be that if enough breath, you can worldhop.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.