Ad Astra

Brackcha

I went over both recordings, no new reveals outside of the Oathbringer interlude. Couple of small things (Roshar is a planet smaller than Earth, the Lord Ruler had more than one child, and that there are different manifestations of and ways to manipulate magic on Nalthis but they are nowhere near as distinct as they are on Sel, for example), but that's about it (plus the few already mentioned in this thread). I haven't transcribed any of them, I was waiting for a good WoB... it just never came.

Good recording though, Brandon was clear throughout, even if many questions got drowned in the crowd's background noise (as happens during big events, unfortunately).

Speaking of the Lord Ruler's children, I did get a big smile when I asked if his daughter's name was Lutha. There was also a question about whether the God King's breath was removed "surgically." I don't remember the exact word used, The answer was no but Brandon said it was a great question.

I'm amazed at how well the recording turned out. There was one person sitting nearby who spent a great deal of time loudly declaiming about how they weren't a reader and didn't care about "all these authors". There were a lot of questions that I couldn't hear, and I was sitting right there. I was sure that much of the recording would be useless. But Brandon was great; he always spoke clearly over everything else.

2 hours ago, TheHunter said:

Speaking of the Lord Ruler's children, I did get a big smile when I asked if his daughter's name was Lutha.

You are not the first one to make this (or similar) connection, nor are you the first one to not get an answer. :)

2 hours ago, TheHunter said:

There was also a question about whether the God King's breath was removed "surgically." I don't remember the exact word used, The answer was no but Brandon said it was a great question.

It was about whether his Breath stash was being removed Hemalurgically, though the questioner started off being evasive about it. 

On 9.05.2017 at 6:19 AM, CosmereAvair said:

Also during that time he shared an answer about who the Terris woman is in war breaker, after someone guessed correctly in a signing in Poland. Apparently it is the nurse, don't remember exactly what she did in the book, but thought I should post about it anyway. Its always nice to get a confirmed world hopper. 

On 9.05.2017 at 4:27 PM, Kurkistan said:

Technically I think I'm the source of that assumption—including our suggestive RAFO on the matter.

Regarding the Reddit thread here's the transcript.

On 12.05.2017 at 2:28 AM, TheHunter said:

@Kurkistan

He said that someone in Poland had figured it out who the Terriswoman in Warbreaker was and I asked him if it was Lemex' nurse, and he nodded and smiled. He said he had no idea how anyone figured it out, which is interesting.

It's true I was familiar with the assumption that it's the nurse and that can be traced back to @Kurkistan, so my shot was not entirely mine... but you could at least tag me, guys :( I learned randomly in some thread about worldhoppers.

It's nice I could contribute, though :)

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

It's true I was familiar with the assumption that it's the nurse and that can be traced back to @Kurkistan, so my shot was not entirely mine... but you could at least tag me, guys :( I learned randomly in some thread about worldhoppers.

It's nice I could contribute, though :)

Oof, sorry @Oversleep (see, I did it this time :)). @'ing people still isn't really second-nature to me. You still definitely deserve the kudos for finally prying this one out of Brandon.

Edit: See my next post below for the finished transcript. Leaving this post as is.

Started transcribing the interlude, but I need to get to bed. About 1/3 of the way through. Left off at [24:30]. If anyone else wants to carry on with it before I get back to this, see below. It would also be helpful just for someone to check over what I have so far. I'm sure there's mistakes as I only gave it one pass and names are always tricky.

Spoiler

The ship, First Dreams, crashed through a wave prompting Kaza to cling tightly to the rigging. Her gloved hands already ached, and she was certain each new wave would toss her overboard. She refused to go down below. This was her destiny. She was not a thing to be carried from place to place. Not any longer. Besides, that dark sky--suddenly stormy even though the sailing had been easy up until an hour ago--was no more disconcerting than her visions.

Another wave sent water crashing across the deck. Sailors scrambled and screamed. Mostly hirelings out of steam, as no rational crew would make this trip. Captain Varsmeb stalked among them while Draws, the helmsmen, kept them on a steady heading. Into the storm. Straight. Into. The Storm.

Kaza held tight, feeling her age as her arms started to weaken. Icy water washed over her, pushing back the hood of her robe, exposing her face and its twisted nature. Most sailors weren’t paying attention, though her cry did bring Varsmeb’s attention. The only Thaylen on board, the captain didn’t much match her image of the people. Thaylens to her were portly little men in vests. Merchants with styled hair who haggled over every last sphere. Varsmeb however was tall as an Alethi, with hands wide enough to palm boulders and forearms large enough to lift them. Over the crashing waves he yelled, “Someone get that soulcaster down below deck!”

“No!” she shouted back at him. “I stay!”

“I didn’t pay a prince’s ransom to bring you,” he said stalking up to her, “only to lose you over the side.”

“I am not a thing to--”

“Captain!” a sailor shouted. “Captain!”

They both looked up as the ship peaked over the tip of a huge wave, then teetered before just kind of falling over the side.

Storms! Kaza’s stomach practically squeezed up into her throat, and she felt her fingers sliding on the ropes. Varsmeb seized her by the side of her robe, holding her tight as they plunged into the water beyond the wave. For a brief terrifying moment they seemed intombed in the chill water. As if the entire ship had sunk.

The wave passed and Kaza found herself in a sodden heap on the floor of the deck, held by the captain.

“Storming fool!” he said to her. “You’re my secret weapon. You drown yourself when you’re not in my pay, understand?”

She nodded limply and then realized with a shock she’d been able to hear him easily. The storm… was gone? Varsmeb stood up straight grinning broadly, his white eyebrows combed back along his long mane of dripping hair. All across the deck sailors who had survived climbed to their feet, dripping wet and staring at the sky. It maintained its overcast gloom, but the winds had fallen completely still. Varsmeb bellowed out a laugh, sweeping back his long curling hair, “What did I tell you men? That new storm came from Aimia. Now it is gone and escaped, leaving the riches of its homeland to be plundered.”

Everyone knew you didn’t linger long around Aimia, though everyone had a different explanation as to why. Some rumors told of a vengeful storm here. One that sought out and destroyed approaching ships. The strange wind they’d encountered, which didn’t match the timing of a highstorm, seemed to support that.

The captain started shouting orders, getting the men back into position. They hadn’t been sailing long, only a short distance out from Liafor, up the Shin coast, then westward toward this northern section of Aimia. They’d soon spotted the large main island, but had not visited it. Everyone knew that was barren and lifeless. The treasures were hidden on the island--supposedly lying in wait to enrich those brave enough approach through winds and treacherous straits.

She cared less for that. What were riches to her? She had come because of another rumor. One spoken only among her kind. Perhaps here, at last, she could find a cure for her condition. Even as she righted herself she felt in her pouch, seeking the comforting touch of her soulcaster. Hers--no matter what the rulers of Liafor claimed. Had they spent their youths caressing it, learning its secrets? Had they spent their middle years in service, stepping with each use closer and closer to oblivion? The common sailors gave Kaza’s face [...] refusing to look her in the eyes. She pulled her hood up, unaccustomed to the eyes of ordinary people. She’d entered the stage where her disfigurements were starkly obvious. Kaza was slowly becoming smoke.

Varsmeb took the helm himself, giving Draws a break. The lanky man stepped down from the poop deck, noticing her by the side of the ship. He grinned at her, which she found curious. She had never spoken to him, but now he sauntered over to her as if he intended to make small talk.

“So…” he said, “up on deck through that? You’ve got guts.”

She hesitated, considering this strange creature then lowered her hood. He didn’t flinch, even though her hair, ears, and now parts of her face were disintegrating. There was a hole in her cheek through which you could see her jaw and teeth. Lines of smoke ringed the hole. The flesh seemed to be burning away. Air passed through when she spoke, altering her voice, and she had to tip her head all the way back to drink anything. Even then some dribbled out. The process was slow. She had a few years left before the soulcasting killed her.

[24:30]

Edited by jofwu

On 5/13/2017 at 10:21 AM, Kurkistan said:

Oof, sorry @Oversleep (see, I did it this time :)). @'ing people still isn't really second-nature to me. You still definitely deserve the kudos for finally prying this one out of Brandon.

I wish someone would ask if it is the terriswoman that demoux met at the end of Hero of Ages. Sigh. @

On 5/12/2017 at 9:40 AM, Argent said:

You are not the first one to make this (or similar) connection, nor are you the first one to not get an answer. :)

It was about whether his Breath stash was being removed Hemalurgically, though the questioner started off being evasive about it. 

That was me! (I was the dude with the white cane if anyone saw me around).  That is correct.  My original phrasing was something like, "Do the priests extract/transfer the divine breathe and horde by utilizing a sharp pointy object?".  Tried to avoid saying Hemalurgy explicitly at first as I thought it gave me a better shot at getting a confirmation if the answer was yes.  Thinking back on it now it wouldn't have, and just resulted in Brandon not understanding my question at first.

Brandon said it was a great question however (made my freakin' day) as well as that he was surprised no one had asked it before (blew my mind).  I have a hard time believing that however after years of lurking my fellow nerds here/reddit.  Has no one really asked that before?  Had he just forgotten/was being nice?

Anyways, thought I'd pop in and say hi.  First time seeing/meeting Brandon and it was awesome!  Can't wait until he's back in T.O.

5 hours ago, Shardneedle said:

I have a hard time believing that however after years of lurking my fellow nerds here/reddit.  Has no one really asked that before?

I would imagine that most people would reject Hemalurgy as an option as the priests said that Susebron would be allowed to live his life in peace after passing on the Breath. In nearly all cases Hemalurgy is fatal for the person who has something spiked from them.

Also, if I recall correctly, Vasher states that there are ways to use commands mentally without needing to speak them but Susebron would have had to been trained by the priests how to do it.

With those pieces of information I think it was generally assumed that the priests teach the God-king how to mentally pass on the breath to the Returned infant and then the God-king "retires".

On 5/19/2017 at 8:43 PM, CaptainRyan said:

I would imagine that most people would reject Hemalurgy as an option as the priests said that Susebron would be allowed to live his life in peace after passing on the Breath. In nearly all cases Hemalurgy is fatal for the person who has something spiked from them.

Also, if I recall correctly, Vasher states that there are ways to use commands mentally without needing to speak them but Susebron would have had to been trained by the priests how to do it.

With those pieces of information I think it was generally assumed that the priests teach the God-king how to mentally pass on the breath to the Returned infant and then the God-king "retires".

I agree!  Makes a lot of sense. Thanks :) 

• 1 month later...