Ad Astra

Brackcha

5 hours ago, LH1407 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is there anywhere I can find the new interlude reading?

A guy I met there said he got a good recording of it so when he manages to I'm sure he will post it. If you want details for now, I can write a more detailed summary. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

I was there too! I asked if a Larkin was to try and drain stormlight from a voidbringer what would happen and I got RAFO'd (got a card) and during the signing I asked if we would see Rysn in future books and he said she has an interlude in oathbringer

1 hour ago, Brackcha said:

I was there too! I asked if a Larkin was to try and drain stormlight from a voidbringer what would happen and I got RAFO'd (got a card) and during the signing I asked if we would see Rysn in future books and he said she has an interlude in oathbringer

Oh, nice.

I thought it was likely she would get one, but I'm really happy it was confirmed.

I asked how he came up with the abilities and the metals associated with them. He said at first, the Allomantic abilities were associated with abilities an assassin would have, and he slowly changed them to suit a heist crew, with there being an ability for the tough guy, the charismatic guy, the thief, and so on. For the metals, he wanted to use metals that had alloys, since it is called Allomancy, and he also wanted to use metals that made sense to give certain kinds of abilities.

Then, (Mistborn Era 2 and Secret History Spoilers Incoming)

Spoiler

I asked him what metals were involved in resurrecting Kelsier, which he said he couldn't answer, because he was saving that for Secret History 2, so I instead asked him if Kelsier would play a big part in the fourth book of Era 2, and he said he'd have a cameo. But then, he said that he would play a big part in the modern day trilogy.

Edited by Koldun
Spelling

On 07/05/2017 at 8:46 AM, Lightflame said:

The reading was cool! I didn't record it (I might have if I had space on my phone), but I'll give you the gist of it.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Soulcasters have an affect on people, like Kaza turning into smoke and the ardents turning to stone. Do Shardblades wielded by non-Radiants have any effect on them?

He said no, but that it was a good question.

I think he contradicted canon by saying that!  I refer to Moash's eyes from WoR!

6 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I've wanted to play MTG with Brandon for some time now.  Ah well...  Congrats to those who got the opportunity.

When I asked him about it, he said that he usually always wants to play MTG, so will if there are enough people who want to at the event. 

It was pretty fun to play MTG with him, I mean I never played the game before but it was nice to just hang out with him and other people at the convention. Sanderson even helped orchestrate the whole event which I thought was a very nice thing to do.

Spoiler

Also during that time he shared an answer about who the Terris woman is in war breaker, after someone guessed correctly in a signing in Poland. Apparently it is the nurse, don't remember exactly what she did in the book, but thought I should post about it anyway. Its always nice to get a confirmed world hopper. 

Edited by CosmereAvair

7 minutes ago, CosmereAvair said:

It was pretty fun to play MTG with him, I mean I never played the game before but it was nice to just hang out with him and other people at the convention. Sanderson even helped orchestrate the whole event which I thought was a very nice thing to do.

Reveal hidden contents

Also during that time he shared an answer about who the Terris woman is in war breaker, after someone guessed correctly in a signing in Poland. Apparently it is the nurse, don't remember exactly what she did in the book, but thought I should post about it anyway. Its always nice to get a confirmed world hopper. 

Were you the one who played against him first?

9 hours ago, CosmereAvair said:

Hide contents

Do you happen to recall more precisely? Did he say "the nurse" or "one of the nurses" or "one of the handmaidens" or something else?

35 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

Do you happen to recall more precisely? Did he say "the nurse" or "one of the nurses" or "one of the handmaidens" or something else?

For some reason I thought this was referring to the nurse present when Lemex dies. I can't find any source for that assumption, but the only "nurse" present in the book is that one.

This seems to be the source for the claim: https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/603zc3/warbreaker_we_know_where_the_terrisan_lady_is/

I didn't watch, but confirmation on this one is questionable judging by the comments.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:44 PM, Lightflame said:

- I mentioned asking him about the Shardfork in the AMA, and he said, "Oh, so you're the Shardfork guy. You put that idea in my head." He said that he'll draw a fork in my copy of Arcanum Unbounded.

That has to be the best feeling in the world.

@TheHunter
Awesome work. Much appreciated. It was awesome talking to you at the event. Hopefully get to do so again at some point.

For people transcribing: The Reading and Q&A does contain a reading from Oathbringer. If you don't want to get spoilered for that, the reading starts around the 14 minute mark and lasts for close to 10 minutes. Start a bit before that if you don't want to get spoilered. I can get exact times later when I have time if someone hasn't done so already.

I'm going to try to transcript the reading this weekend if it hasn't been done by then as there is some interesting information I want out of it.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

21 minutes ago, TheHunter said:

@Kurkistan

He said that someone in Poland had figured it out who the Terriswoman in Warbreaker was and I asked him if it was Lemex' nurse, and he nodded and smiled. He said he had no idea how anyone figured it out, which is interesting.

Behold the power of literary analysis!

Thanks for the confirmation, it's nice to get that one nailed down.

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

@TheHunter
Awesome work. Much appreciated. It was awesome talking to you at the event. Hopefully get to do so again at some point.

For people transcribing: The Reading and Q&A does contain a reading from Oathbringer. If you don't want to get spoilered for that, the reading starts around the 14 minute mark and lasts for close to 10 minutes. Start a bit before that if you don't want to get spoilered. I can get exact times later when I have time if someone hasn't done so already.

I'm going to try to transcript the reading this weekend if it hasn't been done by then as there is some interesting information I want out of it.

What's the reading this time?

About the "father" thing, Wax later learns that Paalm was referring to a Survivorist priest. From Chapter 12:

“I’m a constable,” Wax said. “What is the emergency?”
“A murder,” she said.
Harmony, no … “Not Lord Harms. Please tell me!” Had he left the man to be killed, in his haste to get to the governor?
“Lord who?” the woman asked. “It wasn’t a nobleman at all, constable.” She glanced at Drim, who nodded—Wax could be trusted. She looked back to Wax. “It was Father Bin. The priest.”

“[...]Why would she kill this priest in the first place? She warned me she was going to. I thought she meant your father. Not Father Bin.

Father Bin was the priest Wax and Steris asked to perform their wedding ceremony. From Chapter 2:

“If you want me to help more with the wedding planning—”
“No, the formal request to perform the ceremony that you sent to Father Bin was the only task required of you by protocol. Otherwise I can handle it; this is the perfect sort of thing to occupy me[...]”

That's why Paalm called him "your father". He was, in a way, "their priest".

Edited by skaa