Setting limits on the size of Roshar (the planet) and Roshar (the continent)

Everstorm

Not much to add to this thread except I believe tail end of the wok it's mentioned that it's an hours walk or march between each of the plains camps. Or maybe through the inside of them. I believe it was Adolin's perspective though it could also be dalinars. Unfortunately no book on me though.

Remind me to steal some of you when I set out making my own solar system map for my novel!

Edited by Darkarma

About the magnetic field, I thought that one of Roshar's moons might be a gas giant which shelters it against solar wind and radiation. I have no evidence, but it is possible.

I think you need to be above a certain mass to hold in gases. The smallest gas planet that has been seen in the universe yet has Earth's mass and a larger diameter. So if there were a gas planet in the vicinity, Roshar would be the moon rather than vice versa.

I think you need to be above a certain mass to hold in gases. The smallest gas planet that has been seen in the universe yet has Earth's mass and a larger diameter. So if there were a gas planet in the vicinity, Roshar would be the moon rather than vice versa.

Unless Roshar is a moon and they just don't know it...

(Playing devil's advocate)

If Roshar is a moon it's done a fantastic job of not getting tidally locked with the planet it's rotating.  I doubt it though.  Mainly because Roshar was picked for habitation by the Shards.  They'd only pick places of substantial habitability.  A moon isn't a likely choice.  And I highly doubt the planet's core isn't molten.  We know that Roshar doesn't have tectonic activity, but that could be for any number of reasons.  I think one of the best ways to work out distance might be bridge length, as compared to the map of the shattered plains.  

How long is Bridge 4?

It's been designed to cover the longest gaps needed, so something could be done from there.

I think one of the best ways to work out distance might be bridge length, as compared to the map of the shattered plains.  

How long is Bridge 4?

It's been designed to cover the longest gaps needed, so something could be done from there.

While this might give the illusion of some sort of measurement, this would leave HUGE margins of error, given that both plateaus and gaps vary in size.

Pando.... Roshar a moon? This is a new one. Peter said that something are going on with the moons, anyone have a guess?

We have three moons. Maybe which one are a "Shard base" for Honor, Odium. Cultivaiton watch their hunger g.....  Oath pact. Maybe the Parshendi are originate there.  

Or better yet. The Tranquile Halls are in one of the moons, and the human are forced do Roshar latter on. after all the human are kicked of one place before come to Roshar. 

If Roshar is a moon it's done a fantastic job of not getting tidally locked with the planet it's rotating.  I doubt it though.  Mainly because Roshar was picked for habitation by the Shards.  They'd only pick places of substantial habitability.  A moon isn't a likely choice.  

Not necessarily.  The forest moon of Endor is habitable.  ;)

Each moon is in the sky only once per day and moves across the sky in a couple to a few hours. What does that tell us about their orbits?

Could a gas giant be far enough away to look like a small moon, yet have this rapid of an apparent motion? (The answer is NO.)

Each moon is in the sky only once per day and moves across the sky in a couple to a few hours. What does that tell us about their orbits?

That they're really fast/close, I would think. Perhaps unusually so...  :huh:

Edited by Kurkistan

There's also the fact that a planet's satellites can't have stable satellites themselves. Tidal forces from the host planet would cause any moon's satellites to deteriorate over time and eventually crash into the moon. The fact that Roshar has multiple stable moons means it can't be a moon itself.

Edited by aWESomeness summoned

There's also the fact that a planet's satellites can't have stable satellites themselves. Tidal forces from the host planet would cause any moon's satellites to deteriorate over time and eventually crash into the moon. The fact that Roshar has multiple stable moons means it can't be a moon itself.

Isn't that the situation our Earth is in though? Forgive me, I find this topic interesting even though I haven't read much on it.

Isn't that the situation our Earth is in though? Forgive me, I find this topic interesting even though I haven't read much on it.

The same physics do not apply to the sun-planet relationship because planets are usually in asynchronous orbits which changes how the tidal effects work and allow the moon to remain in a stable orbit. Most moons follow a synchronous orbit, though, so tidal forces from the planet tend to have a degenerating effect on any objects that orbit the moon.

The same physics do not apply to the sun-planet relationship because planets are usually in asynchronous orbits which changes how the tidal effects work and allow the moon to remain in a stable orbit. Most moons follow a synchronous orbit, though, so tidal forces from the planet tend to have a degenerating effect on any objects that orbit the moon.

WOW, the only thing that come to my mind when i read this kind of post is:

21ctidx.jpg

We really have a bunch of smart guys here in forum =)

Curses! Foiled again by SCIENCE!!!

Okay, so the orbits aren't magically augmented.

Still, that leaves us some information. The three moons are likely captured asteroids, then, rather than having split off from Roshar during its formation, Luna-style. Three captured asteroids at the same time in relatively stable, seemingly very close orbits... Anything significant in that, science people?

Still, that leaves us some information. The three moons are likely captured asteroids, then, rather than having split off from Roshar during its formation, Luna-style. Three captured asteroids at the same time in relatively stable, seemingly very close orbits... Anything significant in that, science people?

Only thing I can think of is that it gives us a little idea that the Roshar solar system likely does not have as many gas giants further out in the system like ours does. Large gas giant planets tend to sweep up most of the asteroids which is why Jupiter and Saturn have dozens of moons each while Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars only have three moons total between the four of them. With Roshar being a small planet, its not likely there are many gas giants if it was able to acquire three moons.