San Francisco WoR Signing

bartbug

Hey guys! Greetings to all sharders on the west coast!

I'm just curious to see who else is going to the signing at 6 in San Francisco. I know I'm going, and it's going to be cool! Second signing for me, but the first was Steelheart, so it doesn't really count. 

So, what are your thoughts?

I was looking forward to the signing for WoR as I've only been to the AMoL signing at Borderlands last year.  And then when the dates came out, I got bummed.  

That is the week that I'm out of town on business and I get a double whammy: I'm traveling when WoR is released (fortunately, I'm doing the ebook thing); and I'll be on the other side of the country when the book tour hits near home.  

Hope you have a great time, bartbug!

I will.

(In all honesty, a small, evil part of me was hoping that I'd be the only Sharder going so when I got all of the info from the signing, I'd be able to farm upvotes. Actually, I'm feeling kind of pressured by the signing, because I'm going to need to read WoR fast so I can get all of the questions from there. Well, not like that's hard. ;))

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be there!

For the Q&A, I've been thinking about creating a Google Doc or something to better organize the questions we would like to ask. Also to be a single place for Sharders to see recently asked and answered questions (so they don't ask the same one twice).

The "Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon" thread has become large and the answers are spread across Theoryland, individual threads, etc.

Thoughts? Is there already a place for this?

The Ultimate List is made up solely of questions which are unanswered, though it has been a few weeks since it was last updated. If you'd like to create a more manageable document detailing questions you would particularly like to ask at the SF signing, that would be fine.

EDIT: Also, I wish I could be at the signing. I have a number of events in San Francisco the weeks around the signing, but nothing that day. Plus there's school. Maybe next time...

Edited by Limelleth

I'm definitely going and driving in from Sacramento as well. In fact, if any other Sharders from Sac want to road trip and save some gas, we could work something out.

I have a short list of questions that I intend to ask:

1. During the Final Empire Era, had anyone on Scadrial, particularly Sazed, Tindwyl, or Elend, read The Way of Kings?

2. Was Sazed familiar with Vorinism? If so, what would he have thought about it?

3. Was Adonalsium Shattered on the Shattered Plains of Roshar?

I'm definitely going and driving in from Sacramento as well. In fact, if any other Sharders from Sac want to road trip and save some gas, we could work something out.

I have a short list of questions that I intend to ask:

1. During the Final Empire Era, had anyone on Scadrial, particularly Sazed, Tindwyl, or Elend, read The Way of Kings?

2. Was Sazed familiar with Vorinism? If so, what would he have thought about it?

3. Was Adonalsium Shattered on the Shattered Plains of Roshar?

I'm 99% sure Adonalsium was shattered in Yolen. It might be better to ask if Honour was shattered on the Plains.

How would you expect people of Scadrial to have read a Rosharan book? Do you have a basis for that very interesting question?

Re: Adonalsium.

I figured it might be worth an ask. Although I agree that it's more likely that Honour was Shattered there, I got a hunch that it might be where Adonalsium was Shattered. Beyond an interpretation of a few recent WoB, I think it's worth a go.

Re: Way Of Kings and Scadrial.

Tindwyl has read many books about leaders and on the subject of leadership. It seems plausible that a worldhopper brought over a copy from Roshar at some point.

I admit that there might not be much of a canonical basis, but these are things that I've wondered for sometime.

I so wish I could attend this signing!  (I have to work.  Boo.  teardrop.gif  )  For the past few years, I've counted on Brandon's book-signings in the greater San Jose area of my region in CA and have attended every signing here.  I was bummed to learn that there would not be a WoR signing in my region.

Anyway, I realize I haven't been around in a very long while, but I delightedly enjoyed virtually 10 hours today clicking and reading back and forth from the Coppermind Wiki and the TWoK re-read on tor.com.  I'm 12 chapters into my re-read of TWoK and very much look forward to WoR.  Do I purchase the ebook or do I wait for the volume?  I remain conflicted.  I like having the volume in my hands but the ebook is so much easier to read while I'm working out on the elliptical!

The question I was thinking about asking was something like, how much does your worlds share in regards to language?

Brandon has said that there is no universal language but since the Shards all have a shared origin there are certain linguistic commonalities (i.e. shash being the name of a letter on Nalthis and a glyph on Roshar).

I have a few questions that for sure I will try and ask:

1.In hemalurgy, when the Spike is pounded through Marsh's eyes, what immediately happens to ensure his survival?

2. Allomancers are Allomancers because, among other things, they have more Innate Preservation than other Scadrians. By this token, why are Feruchemists Feruchemists?

3.Does aluminum have an atium shadow?

Does anything not have an atium shadow?

4. If you make an aluminum box, and put a steel bar in said box, can you push on the steel?

5. Does aluminum react differently to time bubbles?

6. Is the bubble of deadened air created by a smoker similar to the one created by a bendalloy or cadmium misting? How does the range for a Seeker work?

7. In the Alloy of Law era, is the extra Ruinous energy that Sazed has given to the koloss to grant them sentience?

8. If you gathered enough investiture in a Spike, could you create a metal with similar effects to Lerasium?

9. How much Investiture does Nalthis have compared to Scadrial and Roshar?

10. Could Shardplate function as a space suit?

11. Are the moons of Roshar significant in the story of the SA?

12. If you take a Scadrian mistwraith, give him his blessings that were created from some Arelish people, could he become an Elantrian?

13. If you make a mistwraith born in Arelon, could he become an Elantrian?

14. If Kelsier's force ghost went to the Forests of Hell, would he manifest as a shade?

15. If a Seon went to the Forests of Hell, would he manifest as a shade?

16. Could a spren be formed from a mass-delusion?

17. Are there "mobspren"?

18. Who's your favorite original Shardholder?

19. Are the frequencies and/or intensities of Highstorms affected by the lunar cycle?

20. How did Kelsier know it would take 300 years for the atium to reform?

That's all for right now. Whew, that's a lot.

Edited by bartbug

I've been fortunate to have been afforded the opportunity to attend several BS book-signings in my region in recent years.  Unfortunately, I have to work during the evening he'll be speaking and signing in San Francisco on 3/6/14.  I'll be holding my copy of WoR close to me until I can see him again in my region during the Reckoners/Rhythmatist sequels!  :P

I really want to make it for this. I've never been to a signing for Brandon before, and I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to come up with a suitably useful question for him. The other issue is, I already have a signed copy coming in the mail, and I know it's bad form not to buy a book at a signing. So then do I just buy a second copy? Man, I really don't want to miss this despite my reservations. Maybe I'll see some of you there.