Long Game (3)2: Pulling on Strings

3 hours ago, Yitzi2 said:

You know, Herowannabe, your assumption that the attack was on you is based on you being the only lurcher, which may not be the case.  If not, then there's another lurcher around (and the elims already know that, if it wasn't you who was protected), and the elims need not be anyone who targeted you.

Nope. I said this in my big post, but maybe you missed it. My assumption that the attack was on me is based on the PM I got from the GM saying that my lurch action successfully blocked an attack. And since I Lurched myself last night... ;)

EDIT:

@randuir Kipper first PMed me with his role-fishing on Sunday, April 2nd. Our entire conversation lasted 2 days, and ended about 7:00PM MST Tuesday April 4th. I'll leave it to you to figure out what cycles that coincides with. 

Edited by Herowannabe
Reply to Rand

Take this from someone who is familiar with Aonar: he likes to troll. Particularly when he's good, if he finds an opportunity to troll, he will jump on it in a heartbeat. This lynch against him has brought out that obstinate side of him. Every time you ask him to share his suspicions or place another vote on him or request him to do anything really at this point, he has a bit of fun with you, because that's what he does. He enjoys it greatly. Yes, he wants to die, but the reason for wanting to die is because he wants to make all of you have to rethink your ability to read him. Because he's village. I'm nigh certain of that fact, particularly because of how he's behaving right now. Lynch him and you won't find a Spiked. Is he being frustrating? Yes. He is. He's doing it intentionally. Don't fall into his trap.

8 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Take this from someone who is familiar with Aonar: he likes to troll. Particularly when he's good, if he finds an opportunity to troll, he will jump on it in a heartbeat. This lynch against him has brought out that obstinate side of him. Every time you ask him to share his suspicions or place another vote on him or request him to do anything really at this point, he has a bit of fun with you, because that's what he does. He enjoys it greatly. Yes, he wants to die, but the reason for wanting to die is because he wants to make all of you have to rethink your ability to read him. Because he's village. I'm nigh certain of that fact, particularly because of how he's behaving right now. Lynch him and you won't find a Spiked. Is he being frustrating? Yes. He is. He's doing it intentionally. Don't fall into his trap.

Ugh, Wilson, you're no fun.:P 

14 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Unfortunately I still feel miserable so this will not be the extensive post I wanted to make today. I'm just not up to it. Sorry.

Herwynbe staggered out of a side room, looking dirty and bedraggled and in need of a shave. He offered no explanation for his appearance, or what he had been up to the past few days, but instead pushed his way through the group and climbed up on top of a table. 

"Excuse me! Everyone, lend me your attention. I have decided that it is time for me to expose myself!" People gasped in shock as the Terrisman reached up to his robe with both hands, but they relaxed when he merely reached inside his robe and pulled out a small vial of metals. 

"I am a village lurcher!" He announced, then swallowed the contents of the vial. He reached out his hand and silverware leaped up from the table and he caught it. "Last night, the Inquisitor and its minions tried to assassinate me, but through deft use of my powers I was able to elude them. I do not know who it was that attacked me, but I have reason to believe it may have been Kipper or Aonar, or perhaps Wilson.

"To whoever among us is the Inquisitor, allow me to say, I have no need to issue any challenges to you, as did Aman and our esteemed Tineye. I have proven that you cannot kill me, and I do not have it within my powers to kill you, so any sort of contest between us will inevitably end in a draw. Rather, we will let our honored companions choose for themselves which of us is to survive and which is to be laid to rest in the crypt below. 

"Now, I realize that some of you may be wondering if this is all some sort of clever ruse on my part, if perhaps I am actually the Inquisitor or one of his minions performing what was known in ancient times as a 'Wounded Gazelle Gambit.' I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. And to prove my claims, I will now disrobe and display my naked body openly for your thorough inspection, and you will see that my body remains un-pierced by metal of any sort."

Herwynbe began pulling his arms out of his sleeves as people recoiled in shock and disgust. People began crying out, their voices overlapping one another. 

"Stop him!"

"Somebody do something!"

"Grab him!"

"No way, you grab him!"

"Excuse me! Master Terrisman!"

The last was from Garshin. Herwynbe paused in his undressing, and Garshin hastened to continue. "Uh, we spoke earlier about your area of expertise. Mundanity, right? Well how about I tell you about some of my mundane practices?"

"Right now? I'm kind of in the mid-"

"Yes, right now. Definitely right now." Garshin said.

@KipperHerwynbe shrugged, then hopped off the table, one arm bare and the other still sleeved in his robe, and the sash fortunately still tied tightly around his waist. "Very well," he said graciously.  "Lead the way."

(Small OOC note: Garshin can't actually show Herwynbe what he does, but can tell him; I've corrected it in the quote, and would appreciate if you'd edit your post to match when convenient.  Also, sorry I missed the bit where you said that you were told that yours was the protection.)

"So my mundane practices are primarily centered around reading.  I come from the future, you see, and after everything is all done with in terms of the current events, things will be significantly brighter and people will have time for recreational reading.  When I was pulled away to join this mess, I was in the middle of two works in particular.  One is an adventure serial, called Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania; after the completion of the main story, a bonus edition was printed in book form, with notes by the supposed editor, a Terrisman named Handerwym.  I doubt much is factual, though I am under the impression that Jak and Handerwym are real people.  The other is a three-volume history I found in an out-of-the-way bookshop, covering the events we are in the middle of right now from the perspective of the actual individuals involved.  The first describes how the Sliver was killed, the second describes coming political events and the accidental release of Ruin, and the third covers the events leading to Ruin's eventual defeat.  I was in the middle of the second volume when I was pulled away to join this mess."

Edited by Yitzi2

Well, Kipper hasn't responded, and I've talked to Wilson a bit more about Kipper and Aonar, and she's convinced me to vote Kipper. Meta

I don't really have any specific reason to suspect Aonar, since he's been playing pretty much the same as always. I've only personally played a few games with him, but that combined with Wilson's read on him is enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

The way the votes are stacked now(5 on Aonar, 4 on Kipper), I'm not sure our Soothers/Rioters have great targets to choose from, since they'll be messing with the actual lynch targets, so like Aonar says above, everybody please vote. Doesn't matter who you vote on if it's not one of Kipper or Aonar.

11 minutes ago, Aonar Faileas said:

So.... @PeopleWhoHaven'tDoneThings:

You should read the thread and do things. (Vote.) :P 

Agreed. If nothing else we really need everyone to cast a vote on a random person. Staying quiet and withholding your vote doesn't help anybody. (Ninja'd by Lopen! :ph34r:

Also, I have been receiving a few PMs, and have been going back and looking at the activity for the day as well as Kipper's posts and PMs, and I'm getting concerned. For reasons that I cannot disclose lest I reveal certain identities/roles/secrets to the Spiked, I am becoming increasingly certain that Kipper is at least a convert, if not the inquisitor himself. There are things he knew that he shouldn't have been able to know. 

Also, as I read over the thread for today, something just really rubs me the wrong way about the bandwagon on Aonar. A couple of the votes on him have wishy-washy reasoning, and there are one or two that lay out good reasoning for voting for Kipper OR Aonar, but eventually land on Aonar, which feels like it could be Kipper's Spiked buddies trying to save him, but covering their own backs by also voicing suspicion for him (I did EXACTLY this same thing in AG3, when I voted for Arraenae instead of joining the bandwagon on Nyali). 

In short, I can't shake the feeling that the Spiked are trying to maneuver us into NOT lynching Kipper. @Jondesu @Ecthelion III @Elenion @randuir @Arinian, I would like to call on you, if not to reconsider your votes, then to at least provide your reasons why you view Aonar as being more suspicious than Kipper. 

1 hour ago, Yitzi2 said:

(Small OOC note: Garshin can't actually show Herwynbe what he does, but can tell him; I've corrected it in the quote, and would appreciate if you'd edit your post to match when convenient.  Also, sorry I missed the bit where you said that you were told that yours was the protection.)

"So my mundane practices are primarily centered around reading.  I come from the future, you see, and after everything is all done with in terms of the current events, things will be significantly brighter and people will have time for recreational reading.  When I was pulled away to join this mess, I was in the middle of two works in particular.  One is an adventure serial, called Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania; after the completion of the main story, a bonus edition was printed in book form, with notes by the supposed editor, a Terrisman named Handerwym.  I doubt much is factual, though I am under the impression that Jak and Handerwym are real people.  The other is a three-volume history I found in an out-of-the-way bookshop, covering the events we are in the middle of right now from the perspective of the actual individuals involved.  The first describes how the Sliver was killed, the second describes coming political events and the accidental release of Ruin, and the third covers the events leading to Ruin's eventual defeat.  I was in the middle of the second volume when I was pulled away to join this mess."

Herwynbe gazed attentively at Garshin, and when he finished speaking, he said, "Incredible! That is fascinating! But utterly useless to me, I am afraid. You say you're from the future? My calling is to teach the people about the traditions and practices of their ancestors. I can't teach them the practices of their descendants. That... that's just all backwards. It would mess up the space time continuum or some such nonsense, I'm sure. 

You don't happen to have read any books that deal with the ancient past, have you?

4 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Herwynbe gazed attentively at Garshin, and when he finished speaking, he said, "Incredible! That is fascinating! But utterly useless to me, I am afraid. You say you're from the future? My calling is to teach the people about the traditions and practices of their ancestors. I can't teach them the practices of their descendants. That... that's just all backwards. It would mess up the space time continuum or some such nonsense, I'm sure. 

You don't happen to have read any books that deal with the ancient past, have you?

"I'm afraid not.  Not that it would do you much good; pretty much everything we know about the ancient past is due to the Terris keepers, so you'd do better to deal with it directly from the source.  Well, except for a few details that have been corrupted, but they're not in your area of expertise anyway.  Still, if you get a chance to meet with other Keepers, you might want to let them know that the Terris prophecies regarding the Hero of Ages have been altered, and not to trust any writings on mediums other than metal."

12 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Also, as I read over the thread for today, something just really rubs me the wrong way about the bandwagon on Aonar. A couple of the votes on him have wishy-washy reasoning, and there are one or two that lay out good reasoning for voting for Kipper OR Aonar, but eventually land on Aonar, which feels like it could be Kipper's Spiked buddies trying to save him, but covering their own backs by also voicing suspicion for him (I did EXACTLY this same thing in AG3, when I voted for Arraenae instead of joining the bandwagon on Nyali). 

In short, I can't shake the feeling that the Spiked are trying to maneuver us into NOT lynching Kipper. @Jondesu @Ecthelion III @Elenion @randuir @Arinian, I would like to call on you, if not to reconsider your votes, then to at least provide your reasons why you view Aonar as being more suspicious than Kipper. 

I concur with this completely. If Kipper is evil, as I'm becoming more and more convinced that he is, I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that Len is a teammate (I'd wager he's the first convert) and that Arinian or Rand is the Inquisitor. I'm leaning more towards Arinian right now, given his 'reason' for voting for Aonar. I'd also like to note that if Kipper is evil and the Inquisitor has UberZinc/Brass, it's basically a certainty that he'll use it to save Kipper.

Yitzi, you keep posting, but you're not voting. Would you mind adding your thoughts about all this and maybe voting for someone?

18 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Also, I have been receiving a few PMs, and have been going back and looking at the activity for the day as well as Kipper's posts and PMs, and I'm getting concerned. For reasons that I cannot disclose lest I reveal certain identities/roles/secrets to the Spiked, I am becoming increasingly certain that Kipper is at least a convert, if not the inquisitor himself. There are things he knew that he shouldn't have been able to know. 

And what this things that he shouldn't to know? Cause I don't see any reasons why Kipper is more suspicious then Aonar. But if you will give some reasoning maybe I will change my mind.

Also, why elims will act in the same way as you? For example Nyali easily bandwagoned on her teammates. Or in LG28 I just not voted when there were 2 villagers main targets for lynch.

5 minutes ago, little wilson said:

I concur with this completely. If Kipper is evil, as I'm becoming more and more convinced that he is, I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that Len is a teammate (I'd wager he's the first convert) and that Arinian or Rand is the Inquisitor. I'm leaning more towards Arinian right now, given his 'reason' for voting for Aonar. I'd also like to note that if Kipper is evil and the Inquisitor has UberZinc/Brass, it's basically a certainty that he'll use it to save Kipper.

Yitzi, you keep posting, but you're not voting. Would you mind adding your thoughts about all this and maybe voting for someone?

Okay, okay lets kill Kipper if you so sure that he is elim.

So I have PMed both Aonar and Kipper in previous cycles. At first, I was suspicious of Aonar, and it didn't help when he withheld information. Kipper approached me, role-fishing, but as I am a Regular Crewmember, I had nothing to hide. So I told him. 

Kipper is quite suspicious, from what I've seen. His role poll, if people would participate, is a great way of seeking out Mistings (but who would be as blatant as that?). I haven't looked too closely at his other posts.

Edited by Hemalurgic_Headshot
Now in Color!

33 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

I'm always happy to justify or reconsider a vote, so thanks for tagging me (I hadn't had the time to think it over in more detail, but I've given it a look now).

The biggest reason given for voting Kipper over Aonar right now is your accusation of his role-fishing (backed up by at least Wilson, so I'm not doubting that it happened), right? There things people have claimed he knew that he shouldn't, but no one's provided those details yet so I can't really judge that evidence. 

As a villager in past games, I've gone on role-fishing expeditions myself several times, both trying to deduce roles and blatantly asking for them. Granted, most of the games I've played haven't been conversion games, but there's a limit to how much we can shackle ourselves to avoid giving away information to a potential future convert without just keeping us from finding out anything important. The villagers biggest issue is that we always start with a big deficit of information compared to the Elims. They don't know everyone's roles either, but knowing who is on each team and knowing their own roles is a big advantage early on. In this game, the Inquisitor has the extra advantage of learning the previous roles of whoever they convert, plus their new role, which helps them a lot in finding out who has dangerous abilities to use against them. The town gets none of that detail, so finding Seekers, Thugs, Lurchers, and Coinshots in particular can be a major advantage to the town (not revealing them publicly, of course, but those roles should usually be trying to find at least a few people they decide to trust, because they're a lot less effective if they go lone wolf and don't ever let anyone know who they are). 

Point being, I don't find role-fishing inherently suspicious because I've done the same thing as a villager, several times. I've gotten some suspicion for it too, in some of those games, but I don't suspect people who ask my role personally, even if I don't trust them enough to actually reveal it.

Now, I haven't heard from Kipper directly, so I can't verify his side of that, and if he did indeed have knowledge he shouldn't have been able to, that's suspicious. If you have anything that you're able to prove, I'd be interested, but I haven't seen anything in particular.

As for Aonar, he's an intentionally trollish and erratic player. A lot like DA, just with somewhat different manifestations. For players like that, saying they're playing like they usually do is less than useless. They hide behind that erraticness. They take advantage of it. I don't trust a player like Aonar to have a pattern of behavior that's so easy to place as Wilson says, though admittedly Wilson has a lot more experience playing with him. Still, while I can never trust Wilson particularly, that relationship isn't something I can completely ignore, so I am taking her perspective into account. Your own claims I always have to be very suspicious of too, btw, since in AG3 and other games, you've had me completely fooled, so I maintain a constant wariness (even more than Len, since he just betrayed our Elim team in MR17, but he wasn't hiding his true intentions particularly effectively). Having the two of you be the ones to argue so strongly to move the vote from Aonar to Kipper is actually setting off warning bells in my mind.

For now, that sums up (in a fair bit of detail) the reason I'm leaving my vote on Aonar unless I get more information proving or disproving some of what I've seen claimed. If I don't hear from Kipper at all, in fact, I'll wonder about the claims against him, since it seems very unlikely that the Inquisitor would go completely inactive at this point in the game, though it wouldn't rule him out as a convert.

I've already given some explanation for my vote, and I don't really have much to add to this at this point. Maybe Aonar is playing as he always does, as some people have suggested, though that wouldn't prove much regarding his innocence, right?

Regarding the accusation of people trying to save kipper, I'm pretty sure the same can be said about people trying to save Aonar. I'm especially not fond of statements like "I have proof, I just can't share it with you guys". Yes, there might be legitimate reasons not to share such things, but it doesn't help those of us who like to got by information, rather than following the cop (or those who vote whatever they think will net them the least suspicion, Arinian). However, I do think Hero is village (his roleclaim matches what I stated earlier about that anonymous attack, and no one has contradicted him yet), so I can't really see his statements as an attempt by eliminators to focus attention away from Aonar and those that are voting on Kipper. 

Actually, regarding that, @OrlokTsubodai, @STINK, is a Lurcher told when he stops an attack?

Anyway, long story short, I still expect Kipper to come up innocent (ie, he dies, and hopefully he's not a coinshot or something), so if I'm right, we'll have a decent Idea who to go after next (Aonar, Wilson, etc.). Or maybe I do end up wrong, but that'll give us some info as well. Regarding that, If I could get sooth-cleared this cycle, I'd appreciate it.

Aonar is generally less of a troll when he's evil, from my experience with him. That's not to say he's not a troll at all, but when he goes full-on troll mode, he's either embracing the fact that he's known to be evil (not the case here) or he's just having fun messing with people (villager).

I don't think Kipper is the Inquisitor. I think he's the second convert. Kipper role-fishes all the time, regardless of his alignment, so I don't think that says anything. But if you want to know what Hero is talking about, one of my contacts claims to have gotten a Coinshot claim. I trust this source though I'm not going to name them here for obvious reasons. They say the Coinshot has claimed the Aman kill, and that they also attacked Meta last night (based on my suggestion in the thread). Now, Kipper was insistent that Aman was killed by a Coinshot. I think the Inquisitor and his first convert believed that Kipper knew the identity of the Coinshot, so they converted him so he would tell them and they could kill the Coinshot and get that steel spike. However, Kipper didn't actually know the Coinshot's identity, but he did have a guess about the Seeker, so they went after the Seeker instead. As Lopen has mentioned, they no doubt knew this had a high chance of revealing Kipper, but if the spike didn't take, then there wasn't much of a loss if he died, especially if it meant killing a Seeker, since that would give them additional spike for an additional convert to replace the loss of Kipper.

Add to that that Kipper was role-fishing and had probably gotten a few claims, and he's really not a bad idea for a convert.

I haven't played enough with Aonar to know that he's usually like this when he's village, so ising the retracting from Aonar and ising the voting on Kipper. He hasn't role-fished me, but he did start a PM with me in the early cycles that has since died.

@little wilson  I'm glad that you think I'm a good enough player to be converted, but conversions have been avoiding me like the plague recently. I'm too much of a death risk: some players are permanently suspicious of me, I have a habit of getting lynched in the mid-game, and I rarely accrue much trust. That usually outweighs what I can contribute to a team. The only reasons I could see for the Inquisitor even wanting to convert me would be because I have a bold streak and because it would be unexpected. Otherwise I'm a wasted conversion.

I've been quite busy lately with IRL things, like student government, school, and investing time in a pretty exciting new relationship, so there's that. (<-- all this in OOG color because it's true, but I'm not sure whether we're using blue these days)

Re: Hero's suspicions of me. I have not been “fishing for roles.” When I want to find out someone's role, I ask them explicitly, and I don't beat around the bush. In my first or second PM to Hero (I believe it was the first), I asked him for his role explicitly. His impression of me “role-fishing” most likely comes from the way I asked for his role, which went something like this:

“Hey Hero! Someone told me that you're a Seeker. Is that true?”

Hero then thought, “Hmm, I already posted publicly telling people not to role reveal in PMs, and Kipper knows that (I didn't actually know that; completely missed that section of Hero’s post). Obviously he’s lying about someone telling him I'm a Seeker, and he's just fishing for roles.”

Here's the thing though...someone did actually tell me that Hero had claimed Seeker, and I was just following my usual pattern of directly asking people about roles.

I still don't know whether or not Hero is actually the Seeker, but I'm leaning towards not.

Anyway, let's assume for a second that I was actually fishing for roles. Regardless of my assumed alignment, why would I do something so contrary to my normal play? Why would I role fish Hero, an experienced player who posted in thread about not revealing roles? Short answer: I wouldn't, and I didn't. I'm not disputing the words I've said in PMs, but calling them fishing is dishonest and fallacious.

Also, it's honestly startling to see how many people have jumped on this bandwagon. Think for yourselves, and don't be so quick to jump on bandwagons when the person hasn't even had time to defend themself (<-- that's a word).

TL;DR Just because Hero denies claiming Seeker does not mean someone didn't tell me that Hero claimed Seeker. I always explicitly ask for roles and that's not unusual.

Also, the person that told me Hero claimed Seeker has given me one Seeker result that was confirmed by @Mark IV

Edited by Kipper
Forgot to turn text blue

Aonar:

C1: In the beginning, he says he doesn't have the motivation to do anything much. He also said that he might have more motivation to analyze later, which is something I'm going to hold him to. Neutral to a D1 lynch. Says that a bad one could be really bad, and a good one will be less useful than usual, but D2 the situation will be the same with one less player. He explains what LG2's Ubermetals did, but suggests that Orlok and Stink might have different ones.

More to come, hopefully.

Gah, sorry for not posting. There was a bit of parental drama yesterday and chances are my computer access will be rather limited over the next week.

EDIT: following what Lopen is doing and voting on Meta so my vote can be soothed. I don't have enough time before rollover to analyze what happened today.

Edited by Arraenae

LG32: Night Five - Planning

Dear _________

Again, I must apologise for the lack of letters recently, however I was engaged in a fair few discussions with some very important people about a very important topic. You see, it involves the cleanup of a fair few corpses, and then the transportation of some living people, you get what I mean?

Anyway, I’m so glad to see that you’re all still actually here and haven’t tried to leave, which I would advise you not to do. There are some precautionary measures, a result of the planning I did in advance of the planning I just did. You see how everything revolves around plans? Good, ‘cause they don’t.

And I have planned to finish this letter around here, so the enclosed information again, has everything you need to know.

With Much Pain,
The Court Fool

Kipper was lynched, but survived!

Vote count:
Aonar Faileas: Jondesu, Ecthelion III, Randuir (3)
Kipper: Herowannabe, Aonar Faileas, little wilson, TheMightyLopen, Arinian, Hemalurgic_Headshot, Araris Valerian, Elenion (8)
Metacognition: Arraenae (1)

Edited by Alvron

No Thug conversions have happened yet, so either Kipper is innocent or he's the Inquisitor with UberPewter. Sadly, the Spiked Smoker is almost certainly going to keep us from scanning him, regardless of his alignment, and ising nothing we can do about that.

15 minutes ago, Elenion said:

No Thug conversions have happened yet, so either Kipper is innocent or he's the Inquisitor with UberPewter. Sadly, the Spiked Smoker is almost certainly going to keep us from scanning him, regardless of his alignment, and ising nothing we can do about that.

By this point, we've had three people who were lynched/attacked and survived.  And if both of the spiked Smokers cover people, I don't think they'll be able to carry out a kill...so it's probably worth having at least a chance of scanning anyway.

It may be best not to try to coinshot/relynch them quite yet; the smokers are less protected anyway, and probably more directly dangerous now that the Inquisitor gave up his steel.

(Oh, and apologies for not voting; I simply didn't get around to picking someone, and since I already had my vote changed it didn't seem so important to do so again.  Hopefully I'll get a chance next cycle, though I might end up not having a chance to post over day 6.)