Long Game (3)2: Pulling on Strings

Definitely an Aman-inspired message, I'd say. Very interesting! Same tineye as before, or do we have multiple tineyes who are behind the different message styles?

Following up on my analysis overnight, I'm going to place my official vote on Ecthelion. He's been lurking, posting only little bits but not really acting that into the game yet. Good cover for an Inquisitor, with votes but not a lot of other things to draw attention.

I'm not terribly good at this whole GMing business - the Inquisitor used UberCopper to spike their convert.

UberCopper - This is a passive power. If you are scanned, you will scan as a Regular Crewmember. You are not protected from emotional Allomancy, however.

Okay, this "challenge" thing seriously ticks me off. What motive does the Inquisitor possibly have for playing in a honorable way? It's just dumb. Why not keep to the shadows with your confirmed village group and influence things from there? The Inquisitor knows that you're a Misting because the Inquisitor can see you using your power; there's no need to tell him.

Also, the whole concept of villagers making fail-safes so they can be immediately killed if they get converted leeches a lot of the fun out of the game. Just like people were saying "It won't be fun if we kill the Inquisitor in the first cycle," it also won't be fun if the Inquisitor converts someone and we immediately know who it is and lynch that person. It doesn't make sense to me to play with the idea in my head that my alignment might change. We should play for our current alignments without sabotaging our ability to play for our alignment if that alignment changes.  @little wilson I know we have our disagreements on how alignments should play; no offense is intended.

K. Rant over.

All that said, I'm putting a vote on Hemalurgic_Headshot. He's been following a pattern of posting without actually contributing anything, and he (along with Arinian) did a weird sort of vote switch to Araris last Day, sheeping Wilson for no apparent reason. I still maintain my suspicion of Arinian. Note: I don't care if people just don't contribute; it's when they post without contributing anything that my gears are grinded and my suspicions are flared.

Okay, so another quiet player(and another Regular) was killed. I'm guessing it was the Spiked kill, since I don't think there's any reason they wouldn't kill. Anyways, because the Inquisitor gave up Uber Copper, I feel like that implies the first convert was successfully made into a Smoker, since it would be a bit of a risk to give up your protection from Seekers if you don't have a backup.

And since it's now possible the Spiked have 2 Smokers, anyone who's Smoked is an instant suspect. I'd like to ask that as many players as possible vote somewhere, even if it's not going to make a difference in the end. That way, our Soothers and Rioters will be able to have a wide range of targets to use their powers on and try and find the Smokers.

One thing I thought of last Cycle is that if the first convert was successfully Spiked into a Smoker, they may have added their vote to Drake so Soothers/Rioters wouldn't want to mess with their vote, since it actually made a difference. That's only if they felt they needed to vote in order to stay unsuspicious, so it may not be the case, but I thought I'd mention it and get some more opinions on this. These are the players who kept their votes on Drake: Bugsy, Hero, Rae, Randuir, DA, and Elenion. I have yet to go over their posts about Drake with all of this in mind, but expect my analysis of that later tonight.

Praise the Ja!

Edited by TheMightyLopen

2 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I feel like that implies the first convert was successfully made into a Smoker, since it would be a bit of a risk to give up your protection from Seekers if you don't have a backup.

Seconded. It would be practically suicide to ditch your only scan protection.

3 hours ago, Kipper said:

Okay, this "challenge" thing seriously ticks me off. What motive does the Inquisitor possibly have for playing in a honorable way? It's just dumb. Why not keep to the shadows with your confirmed village group and influence things from there? The Inquisitor knows that you're a Misting because the Inquisitor can see you using your power; there's no need to tell him.

The Inquisitor might not want to play honorably, but they might enjoy a good battle of wits. But with what they did to Aman (RIP), I don't think it likely.

5 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Definitely an Aman-inspired message, I'd say. Very interesting! Same tineye as before, or do we have multiple tineyes who are behind the different message styles?

We had 2 Tineye messages last cycle, so we know there's at least 2.

I'm tempted to go vote with Jondesu on Ecth (I called Ecth for tunneling on me last Day), but that might lead to a discussion-killing bandwagon. Instead I'm thinking I'll vote Mage. We've already established that posting without doing too much discussion-wise would be a probable niche for the Inquisitor, and Mage definitely fits that description. And while I'm more suspicious of Ecth than Mage, I'll follow Lopen's advice and spread the love around. Ising the voting on Mage.

Just now, Yitzi2 said:

The fact that it was one-time makes it seem more likely to me that the other was the Mistborn.

Ising a solid assumption. I doubt a Tineye would purposefully choose to not send a message when they could have (unless they're Spiked, and I don't think there are any Spiked Tineyes, at least not yet).

25 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Ising a solid assumption. I doubt a Tineye would purposefully choose to not send a message when they could have (unless they're Spiked, and I don't think there are any Spiked Tineyes, at least not yet).

I can see some situations where they might not send a message, though. They could forget, they could just not have something worth saying and maybe revealing their identity if they're not careful, they could be coordinating with someone else and only posting on some cycles to verify information. There might well be a Mistborn, which would be good because it give us better odds (and they can't be converted, right?), but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.

A fair accusation, @Jondesu, though I disagree. I'd like to direct you to my activity and alignment the past 4 or so games, which show absolutely no relationship between activity level and alignment. It's mostly been real life stuff which I've had to give priority to.

As for the message, it seems like something Jondesu himself would send. It smells a little like 'thanking the doctor', though not nearly as heavy-handed as HH's comment.

But I'm not here to discuss arbitrary messages, am I? Whom to lynch should be the primary focus of discussion, not potentially Ruin-alterable sources. My gut suspicions on Elenion and Mark IV still hold (though my analysis so far has been, regrettably, desultory at best). The latter said he'd be on sometime this cycle, so I'll be watching for him. Unfortunately, in this town, gut reads won't get one anywhere.

Basic vote analysis (spoilered for size; not much to see):

Spoiler

Night One

(3) Sart: Sart, Amanuensis, Droughtbringer
(2) Drought: Elenion, Arinian
(2) Mark IV: Jondesu, Ecthelion III
(1) Aonar Faileas: Silverblade 

(1) Ecthelion III: Mark IV 
(1) SilverBlade: Randuir

Night Two

(7) DroughtBringer: Jondesu, Hemalurgic_Headshot, Yitzi2, randuir, Arinian, Elenion, Drake Marshall

(1) Elenion: Araris Valerian, 
(1) Mark IV: Herowannabe, 
(1) Drake Marshall: Dalinar Kholin 
(1) Yitzi2: Silverblade5,
(1) Iamspartacus: TheMightyLopen
(1) Arinian: Kipper
(1) Kipper: Drake Marshall (?)

Night Three

(6) Drake Marshall: Bugsy6912, Herowannabe, Randuir, Arraenae, Darkness Ascendant, Elenion

(4) Araris Valerian:  Arinian, Hemalurgic Headshot, Drake Marshall, Wilson
(2) Hemalurgic Headshot: Araris Valerian, Figberts

(1) Bugsy6912: Jondesu

(1) Elenion: Ecthelion III

I'm still almost sure something was afoot with the Droughtbringer bandwagon. I'd like to hear a bit more from HH.

I appreciate the compliment I believe I see, @Ecthelion III, but I have zero skill at codes, either encoding messages or decoding. I would know where to start (I only knew there was a code because of the other messages people have been trying to decode here in the thread).

I take your point on your activity level too, and I'll withdraw my vote for now, Ecthelion. I'm still wary, but not overly now that I'm taking that into account.

My other suspicions I mentioned are Len, Lopen, and Randuir. All meet my criteria when it comes to the vote and potentially flying under my radar. I guess I'd like to see what others think of that theory and those players before I cast a new vote, though. I may be completely off in my thinking, but it made sense to me.

I probably won't be able to post as much as previous day-cycles because I've got an exam on Ethics tomorrow. That having been said, here are some of my thoughts regarding the start of this day.

First, that tineye message. I really hope the tineye was bluffing about some of the things in his message, because if he wasn't, he's just given up some very valuable information regarding the presences of certain roles in this game. If he wasn't bluffing though, I recommend those in his confirmed good group make sure that they practice good PM safety when communicating with the tineye. Specifically, don't tell him your roles, or any other information that could land a villager in trouble if the elims knew. The reason I'm saying this is because the tineye has made it possible for him to be found, and if I was the inquisitor, I'd certainly consider spiking him if I found him, if only for the information that might have been shared with him through PM's.

Second, the kill. I'm now seriously lost with regards to what logic the inquisitor (if it was the inquisitor, but I can't figure out why a coinshot would do this) is using to determine his victims. This, if we take the other attacks into account makes me wonder if the inquisitor is someone who enjoys trolling those trying to apply analysis. Given that I haven't played with a decent portion of the current players before, I don't know if there currently is someone around with a reputation for this kind of attitude.

Third, Iamspartacus. If I have time for some more thorough analysis, I might switch my vote to an active player, but until then I'm in favor of killing an inactive.

Fourth, regarding the HH lynch. His current way of voting does not seem different from other games I've played with him, in which he was village. It's not exactly helpful, and I really hope he'll start explaining his votes more, but it's not particularly suspicious coming from him(nor does it clear him, of course).

Fifth, @Jondesu, what do I have to do to not fly under your radar? I've been posting a lot, I've been voting, I've been doing some analysis. I think I've done everything to not be flying under the radar, apart from challenging the inquisitor to a battle of wits.

Edited by randuir

I was not able to get around to my analysis of the voters. Hopefully, I'll get that done tomorrow at a reasonable time. Sorry. >.>

I'd rather we didn't lynch an inactive though. I also don't really agree with the suspicion on HH either. Sadly, I have no better alternative at the moment. I am still considering Randuir as a suspect for the Inquisitor, but I honestly can't tell if I'm just being too paranoid of him. So I'm hesitant to push for his lynch, both because I might be unfairly suspicious of him and because he has been a very active player, and we need as many of those as possible. Especially since it feels like we're hitting a bit of a lull in discussion right now.

This is a public service announcement from mobile: My activity will be limited for the rest of the week, perhaps a little longer, as my family is on vacation in Washington D.C. 

The Drought lynch was an attempt to get information. When I voted on Araris, I was second guessing the Drake lynch and didn't want my vote to go unvoted. D1, I was busy and couldn't get a vote in before the turnover.

I will not have the time to do much analysis, but I will be checking in on the game when I can.

Just popping in long enough to let you know that I'm as sick as a dog and my brain is mush, so I won't be posting much for a day or two at least. I'll still do my best to follow the thread and put my vote wherever I think it belongs. For now let's do a Contribution Crusade vote- not on @Iamspartacus, but on our other glaringly inactive player, Metacognition .  @Metacognition, where are you???

8 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

I feel like voting on inactiges now is likely to stop the momentum we have now.

When I have more time (probably Friday at earliest), I'll start looking at each player individually.

@Ecthelion III, what do you mean by "thanking the doctor"?

Well as someone pointed out up above, if we spread votes around somewhat evenly it can force the Spiked to play their hand by using any vote manipulation powers they may have to prevent themselves from getting lynched. Also if everyone votes then it let's out soothers and rioters check for players being smoked, giving us a good chance of locating the eliminators. 

Also, along those lines, it would be a great idea for copperclouds to NOT smoke themselves or anyone else. 

@Ecthelion III: Why do you think something was up with the lynch last cycle? The way I see it, we had a village bandwagon on a villager. Then, Wilson voted on me, Drake followed to save himself, and two of the bandwagoners were true to their nature. If we have any coinshots, I would really like it if they could kill HH and Arinian. I think they are village likely, so we shouldn't waste a lynch on them, but they are currently more harmful than helpful.

@Herowannabe: I pinged Meta a while back and didn't hear from him. I'd bet some sort of RL thing has come up for him. He was online during the Night, so he could be the inquisitor. But Meta has been very vocal against inactivity, so I really doubt he would resort to going totally inactive to avoid suspicion.

And I don't really have a vote right now that would really add to the discussion, so I'll work on that and probably vote on somebody this evening.

9 hours ago, randuir said:

Fifth, @Jondesu, what do I have to do to not fly under your radar? I've been posting a lot, I've been voting, I've been doing some analysis. I think I've done everything to not be flying under the radar, apart from challenging the inquisitor to a battle of wits.

Yeah, that's why I didn't cast a vote on you.  I was simply noting that you fall under that criteria I was considering of who might be trying to be active but not drawing attention via their votes. You've certainly drawn attention, but at the same time, I don't recall seeing any votes against you, and your voting pattern was an easy one to hide behind if anyone called you on it.

@Arraenae "Thanking the doctor" is a ToS term referring to when someone thanks a power role, especially a protection role, for their actions during the night. It's viewed as a common tell for inexperienced eliminators.

I've got a bunch of homework from AP Bio and AP English, so I'll be low on activity today.

Analysis of the players who voted on Drake last Cycle.

First, Bugsy put his vote on Drake because he agreed with DA's analysis of him. I initially thought this post of Bugsy's sounded sorta villager-y, but looking back at it, I'm not sure what gave me that impression. If he was the Inquisitor, he might have seen a good way to place his vote without too much risk involved if we ended up lynching that player(which we did). Overall, I'm not extremely suspicious of Bugsy, but I do think I'd keep him on the list of potential Inquisitor suspects(not that there's an actual list this time).

Second vote is Wilson, who is pretty much cleared of being the Inquisitor and the first convert(not quite, but it's very likely she's village unless she was the second convert), so I see no reason to analyse her. :P

Third vote is Hero, basing his vote entirely on Wilson's reasoning. Which I suppose is fair, considering there weren't any other targets up for the lynch and she'd given a good explanation for her vote. All things considered, I don't think Hero is the Inquisitor, but he could be a convert. Like I mentioned earlier, if the first convert is a Smoker, they may have wanted to make their vote count so it wouldn't be likely that a Soother or Rioter would try to move their vote.

Fourth vote is Randuir.  A couple things about Randuir's accusations against Drake seem a little strange to me. For one, Drake voted during the Night, which to me, really doesn't seem like something the Inquisitor would do, since they'll be focused on killing/converting during the Night. I would think that would be somewhat telling that Drake was a villager, but no one else seemed to think of that either, so I guess I shouldn't think too much of it. Next is when Randuir pointed out Drake was defending himself pretty strongly from the questions about whether he was a Rioter or not. If someone said they thought I was a specific Misting, I'm pretty sure I'd deny it as much as I could and try to prove them wrong if they were wrong, since admitting you're a Misting in the thread will very likely end with your death. Even if you are proven to be a villager because of your role, it's not much good if you die soon after. So I don't know what Rand thought was suspicious about this. That's pretty much all I can analyse of him for now.

Fifth vote is Rae, voting on Drake for his N1 posts. All I have to say about this is that I don't think the Inquisitor will play like a normal elim, so saying his posts were "elim-like" doesn't mean much to me.

Sixth vote is DA, but he'd already given his reasoning for suspecting Drake, and I don't have much to say about it, since I thought it was valid reason for him to vote.

And finally, Len voted on Drake as the seventh vote. His post voting on Drake actually seems a bit suspicious to me, but I can't really say why. I don't think he's the Inquisitor, but it's possible he was the first convert. 

I think the most suspicious votes were Hero, Rand, Rae, and Len. They're all active players and are expected to vote most of the time, so if they were converted into a Smoker, adding their vote here would be a smart move. Once I get back from church, I'll decide who I want to vote on(it probably won't be Len, since I'm less suspicious of him than the others).

Praise the Ja.