Orlok Tsubodai

Long Game (3)2: Pulling on Strings

963 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Hm... You are right on all of this... Except one thing, which you probably know... But I'll still say it, since I didn't see it in your post.

Don't publicly discuss who you think is a good conversion candidate. If we conclude so-and-so is totally getting converted this cycle, the inquisitor just won't convert them. Talk about it in PM maybe, but wait until next cycle (by then the inquisitor will probably have converted someone) to discuss publicly who you think is a candidate.

If we're concerned about super-tin, are even PMs safe?

I'm putting my vote on Drought. He's lurking, at least according to Jon. He has been active enough to put in orders, but not active enough to accrue much suspicion. Is there a high chance that Drought is evil? No. Is that chance just as high as for anyone else? Yes, and if we do kill Drought we lose less than if we kill an active player.

2 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

No one is safe, they are always watching, the government is everywhere, the triangles, the triangles! 

*puts on aluminum foil hat*

2 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

Potentially not. But it's substantially better than posting in the main thread. Super tin may be in this game, or may not.

Also, can someone link me to the source of all this super metals business? I see no reference to it in the ruleset of LG2...

Just now, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

No one is safe, they are always watching, the government is everywhere, the triangles, the triangles! 

*puts on aluminum foil hat*

Protecting yourself from emotional allomancy? :P

@Hemalurgic_Headshot, that sounds good, but actually discussing things like that openly can be a huge danger. Plans, sure, at least in general, but specific people likely to be attacked, converted, etc? Always just leads to the Elim(s) changing up the plans and making it harder on us. Our real work starts after the first conversion, in my mind, though of course we need to get good discussion about what's happening prior to that. I will be making a list of my own of who I would turn into a Smoker if I were the Inquisitor (don't turn me into one, please, I'd rather be a Coinshot or a Soother if you turn me :P), and who would be on the kill list instead, since anyone who's likely a Misting is better as a kill, because any non-Misting deaths provide no conversion to the Inquisitor. I might be convinced to share some of that in a PM, though I don't trust anyone this game, even though almost all of you are village at this point. 

The strategy we should be considering is two-fold. We need to consider who was targeted by the kill and what it tells us about the Elim(s), and we need to determine who got each power that was stolen and used to convert someone. The new Smoker will not be easily discovered by a Seeker, but if they manage to match up a change in a scan from last night to after this conversion, there's a chance. Seekers, though, please do your best to scan as many people as you can, repeating some suspicions after each conversion, or get in contact with another Seeker if you're lucky enough. Just remember they could be turned if you do. Maybe try to use an intermediary, though even that's not totally safe.

I'll also largely just be looking for changes in people's tactics and posts, which will likely be subtle, but hopefully I can catch them. Again, that work really begins after the first conversion, though it requires understanding each player now. Many players are playing just like I expect for now, like Len and Arinian, and others I don't know what to expect, but that's where I'll focus most of my attention.

43 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

Based off of the amount of grumbling that Meta did over LG2's Uber-tin, I'm guessing that it might have been changed. Transcribing every single PM in this game is a lot of work, and I'm pretty sure Orlok and Stink aren't sadists. :P

8 hours ago, Aonar Faileas said:

Obviously. :rolleyes: I mean, who else could it be? I'm clearly the Inquisitor..

Meh. Two games does not a sample group make. Once upon a time, I was fairly consistently vocal, but that's not really the case anymore. If you went back and read LG28, you might notice that I really wasn't very active. Especially at the beginning. So I'm going to go back to lurking, and continue to do so until I have reason to do otherwise.

But go ahead and lynch me if you feel like it. I dare you. :P 

> Claims to be the Inquisitor

> Dares attacker to lynch him

Definitely the Inquisitor. Lynch him now. :P

1 hour ago, Yitzi2 said:

Nope. But like Arraenae said, it was a pain for the GM of LG2, so it's possible it's not in this one. There's still a chance though, so it's up to you what you want to reveal in PM's.

1 hour ago, Elenion said:

I'm putting my vote on Drought. He's lurking, at least according to Jon. He has been active enough to put in orders, but not active enough to accrue much suspicion. Is there a high chance that Drought is evil? No. Is that chance just as high as for anyone else? Yes, and if we do kill Drought we lose less than if we kill an active player.

I wouldn't be against lynching Drought, since he's pretty inactive. I'll send him a PM though, just to see what's up with him. If I'm gonna vote someone for being inactive, I might as well do as much as I can to get them back.

My top suspects for the Inquisitor are Meta, Jondesu, Randuir, and Aonar(I'm biased against him, he's almost always been evil when I've played with him). I've got no reasoning to back up those suspicions though. I just went through todays thread and marked off who I thought wasn't the Inquisitor as well. But I was being pretty generous with some players I marked off, so I don't think it'd do much good to post that list.

1 hour ago, Arraenae said:

Based off of the amount of grumbling that Meta did over LG2's Uber-tin, I'm guessing that it might have been changed. Transcribing every single PM in this game is a lot of work, and I'm pretty sure Orlok and Stink aren't sadists. :P

Wouldn't that be masochism instead?

@Drake Marshall I basically said what I was doing is filler-posting, and that it was and is irrelevant to the game. Also that I was only discussing it because it involves motivations and assumptions. Because I don't have anything else of import to say, it would be a much more heinous example of filler posting to make a post that solely exists to agree with someone else. You're defining filler posting very broadly. Too broadly.

My vote on Arinian and the reasoning attached still stands.

Next, I'm not a Coinshot, and I would have no reason to do a long post basically abusing myself for killing Aman. And I agree with you that it's hard to understand why a Coinshot would kill him. But it's  harder to understand why an Inquisitor would do so.

@TheMightyLopen, I feel like I almost always end up on your list of suspicions. :P Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think you suspected me in the games where I was an Elim, though.

RP (shifting to third-person for this part):

No white text here. Carry on with your business.

Roger Elariel not only fell in with the funeral procession, but somehow he ended up as one of the carriers of the body.

This Mykal ising the having of much weight. Never the noticing of that before. Maybe wasing the bulky clothing.

But of course he would never have said that out loud, much less at her sort-of-funeral. Instead, he simply tried not to show the strain on his muscles as the procession slowly wound its way around Tekiel's basement. The Magister had to have taken the longest way to the crypt possible, but it was better than listening to the Terrisman pontificate on historical treatises and the like.

The crypt room was a solemn affair: a stone room with no furnishings or paintings, only coffins. Thirty of them, to be exact. Most were stacked along the back wall. One sat in the corner, lid closed to prevent Sart from decaying for as long as possible. A second sat in the middle of the room, and this was where Roger Elarial helped place Mykal's body. She lay in the coffin, limp and arms askew. Nobody bothered to arrange her into a more restful pose; instead, they just closed the lid, and Roger helped carry the coffin to the corner where Sart's already lay.

What kind of sick man ising the ising of the Court Fool? A man who would ising the watching of thirty good people, none of whom wasing the knowing of him, ising the tearing of each other apart in paranoid fits. Ising obvious! The Court Fool ising the being of a corrupt capitalist!

Stop reading my white text, you corrupt capitalists! ;D

Herwynbe started in surprise at being interrupted, but his mood immediately shifted when asked to help conduct the funeral procession. He immediately humbled himself and became very somber, softly reciting a long-forgotten prayer over Elosa's body as they carried it to the crypt and laid it to rest. The small group formed a semi circle around the casket as they nailed it shut, and Herwynbe finished the prayer.

At the conclusion, Herwynbe spoke in a clear, solemn voice. "My friends, today we have laid to rest one of our own. Though most of us barely knew her, she will still be missed. And now, according to the ancient traditions of Renaud family line, let us lay down beside her, to indicate that with her death, a part of us has died, too."

Herwynbe laid down in the dirt, and gestured for everyone else to do likewise. "Come, lie down," Herwynbe encouraged. "Lay as if you too were dead. It is a sacred and honored tradition for the Renaud family. Close family members of the deceased would often lay for up to three days without moving, though fear not, we did not know Elosa well, so we are not expected to remain that long. A day, or maybe two, will suffice."

"Uh... I need to go use the privy..." someone in the back said. 

"By the Forgotten Gods, no!" Herwynbe snapped. "Leaving now would be utterly disrespectful to lady Elosa's memory! You may as well spit on her corpse as to leave now. No, we must remain until our respects have been properly, and fully, paid."

Herwynbe leaned his head back and closed his eyes, as if he were dead. The crypt fell into a long, awkward silence. 

Popping in for a couple things, aside from the RP. 

@Kipper and @Drake Marshall, you are forgetting another reason why the inquisitor might have decided to kill Aman: to Troll him. There are a number of players who would happily throw Aman's challenge back in his face like that and thank him for the free conversion. I even had one person say that he would do as much in a PM, though I don't suspect him of being the inquisitor. Personally, I would have taken Aman up on the challenge. It seems that whenever we play together he always ends up suspicious of me (sometimes rightly so), and I would love taking him on and trying to outwit him. For a few cycles at least. ;)

3 hours ago, Arraenae said:

There are a few tricks that make copying and pasting PMs easier that Meta didn't know about when he did LG 2. I had to do a fair bit of PM C&P for QF6- my Legion game, so I did some experimenting and found some tricks to make it quicker. Of course this was before the site upgrade last year, but they should still work. Plus, Orlok and STINK are co-GMing, with STINK handling the write-ups. Maybe so Orlok has enough time to handle the PM copy/pasting? It's possible. 

Anyway, the point is, don't discount the possibility of Uber-Tin. Don't underestimate the Inquisitor. Part of the reason the village lost LG2 is because we repeatedly underestimated the Inquisitor. That is a mistake I won't be making this game. I'm playing as if the inquisitor is reading my every PM, and as if everyone I talk to will be converted at some point, and as if every misting power we have available will fail against the inquisitor. 

I suggest everyone else do the same. The one good thing we can count on is that any mistborn we have can't be converted. And we have our lynch. 

Anyway, moving on. 

3 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I wouldn't be against lynching Drought, since he's pretty inactive. I'll send him a PM though, just to see what's up with him. If I'm gonna vote someone for being inactive, I might as well do as much as I can to get them back.

My top suspects for the Inquisitor are Meta, Jondesu, Randuir, and Aonar(I'm biased against him, he's almost always been evil when I've played with him). I've got no reasoning to back up those suspicions though. I just went through todays thread and marked off who I thought wasn't the Inquisitor as well. But I was being pretty generous with some players I marked off, so I don't think it'd do much good to post that list.

I actually am pretty suspicious of Drought, too, but he did say that he was coming down sick the other day so I'm cutting him some slack. At least long enough for him to get well and to have a chance to participate a bit more. 

Also, you mentioned Meta. I've been wondering about him, too. @Metacognition where are you?

8 hours ago, Kipper said:

Arinian. His suspicion of Aonar doesn't really seem to be based on anything but past games, and find it very suspicious when votes like that are placed. Also, I've seen quite a bit of fillerposting from Arinian.

I already couple times stated on what my vote on Aonar is based but looks like you missed that. He lurking that's main reason and also his behavior. Also may I ask you where I fillerposting? Jokes about Rae's super ability? Don't know.

Also I don't understand why experience of previous games is bad reason for vote. Give me answer on that too.

8 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

And there's the motivation I needed for some analysis. Let's dig right in with Meta (He's been pinged enough already).

So, Meta has posted a grand total of one time. In this post, he stresses that he village should not sit back and bide their time, and that everyone should practice PM-safety. Though this could be the words of an inquisitor trying to goad us into lynching someone cycle 1 and trying to get us paranoid about PM's while he doesn't actually have a way to read them, it does sound like some pretty genuine recommendations. I've got a Neutral read on meta for now.

@Jondesu is next.

Jondesu started out by voting on Elenion. His stated reason was Elenion's question about the inquisitor's powers. I find this a poor reason at best (inquisitor would try to keep GM confirmation on his capabilities as low as possible). However, Jondesu admits himself that he might be tunneling, and moves his vote off Elenion once a better target presents himself. Jondesu hasn't been too active in the planning department in cycle 1, and mostly stuck with short questions. Given the somewhat unusual start conditions of this game, I think it is not unreasonable to try and get a full picture of what's going on first.

All in all, Jondesu has made quite a few post, but hasn't said too much useful or alignment indicative yet. I'm leaning slightly village on him for now, as the elim would probably fill his posts with some other kind of filler than questions with potentially useful answers for the village.

Next up is @Aonar Faileas.

Aonar's first substantial post involved him suggesting that he would make a good arbitrary D1 lynch candidate. The fact that he survived that suggestion makes me slightly suspicious of him, but that's paranoia speaking, not reason.

His first post on this day is slightly more interesting, in which he points out that we should have all seen Aman's death by elim coming. Given that there's actually been some discussion about whether it was the elim or a trigger-happy coinshot his certainty that it was the elim is somewhat noteworthy. He also explained why the elim would definitely take that kill. This might be an extreme example of refugee in audacity, however, he wasn't alone in immediately assuming it was the elim who offed Aman, so that assumptions isn't really alignment indicative.

He also once again dares us to lynch him this cycle. This leaves me with a bit of an information gap. I've never played with Aonar before, but his behavior doesn't trike me as particularly elimmy. However, if he is actually known to regularly take refugee in audacity, than this would actually be quite alignment indicative. Is there anyone who can shed some light on this matter? For now, I've got him as Neutral.

Luckily, Lopen listed 4 people as candidates for suspicion, so by process of elimination the inquisitor has to be...wait. *checks GM PM*. Nope, Randuir is definitely village. In all seriousness though, I'm not going to prove that I've been super helpful this game (I'm not even sure if I have been), or how I'm definitely not an elim. I'll leave that for someone impartial to do. It wouldn't help my case much anyway as I think I did a pretty good job of appearing helpful in LG30, and I was an elim that game.

9 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Also, can someone link me to the source of all this super metals business? I see no reference to it in the ruleset of LG2...

This is the link to the master doc from LG2, which is also posted on page 49 of the LG2 thread. Page 3 details the inquisitors powers.

Edited by randuir

Aonar did tell me my own role in a game where I was a villager and he was an elim once. He claimed to have figured it out by some kind of algorithm or something, when in actuality he only knew it because I'd claimed to one of his elim teammates. So there is some precedent of him being a risk taker. That, and he's been a converter elim before are the reasons I'm paranoid of him. :P He's one of a few players I could see saying suspicious/unusual things just so we'd write him off for being so bold in the thread. That's not to say I really believe he's the Inquisitor, just that I'm wary of him and want others to be as well.

19 hours ago, Jondesu said:

@Hemalurgic_Headshot, that sounds good, but actually discussing things like that openly can be a huge danger. Plans, sure, at least in general, but specific people likely to be attacked, converted, etc? Always just leads to the Elim(s) changing up the plans and making it harder on us. Our real work starts after the first conversion, in my mind, though of course we need to get good discussion about what's happening prior to that. I will be making a list of my own of who I would turn into a Smoker if I were the Inquisitor (don't turn me into one, please, I'd rather be a Coinshot or a Soother if you turn me :P), and who would be on the kill list instead, since anyone who's likely a Misting is better as a kill, because any non-Misting deaths provide no conversion to the Inquisitor. I might be convinced to share some of that in a PM, though I don't trust anyone this game, even though almost all of you are village at this point. 

The strategy we should be considering is two-fold. We need to consider who was targeted by the kill and what it tells us about the Elim(s), and we need to determine who got each power that was stolen and used to convert someone. The new Smoker will not be easily discovered by a Seeker, but if they manage to match up a change in a scan from last night to after this conversion, there's a chance. Seekers, though, please do your best to scan as many people as you can, repeating some suspicions after each conversion, or get in contact with another Seeker if you're lucky enough. Just remember they could be turned if you do. Maybe try to use an intermediary, though even that's not totally safe.

I'll also largely just be looking for changes in people's tactics and posts, which will likely be subtle, but hopefully I can catch them. Again, that work really begins after the first conversion, though it requires understanding each player now. Many players are playing just like I expect for now, like Len and Arinian, and others I don't know what to expect, but that's where I'll focus most of my attention.

This post by Jondesu is actually one of the main reasons I listed him. It honestly looks like a post I might make if I was an eliminator. Helpful advice, to some extent, but will likely be forgotten for the most part, because any number of people probably would have given the advice, or something like it, so it's not like he's doing any damage to himself if he's an eliminator. But he could gain some trust by giving the advice, because an eliminator would never give good advice, right? :P

Stating that we need to "determine who got each power that was stolen and used to convert someone" is rather pointless to mention, since it's the whole point of the game really.

He also assumes the Inquisitor will make a Smoker, even though the lynch hasn't happened yet. Maybe he's already made plans for a new Smoker? Assumptions like this are made by villagers from time to time, so it's not like I'd call for his death because of it, but combined with my overall feel of his posts, it makes me wonder.

I don't know, once I start pulling posts apart like that, I get very tunnel-y, which is why I left it at "not much reasoning behind these suspicions" or whatever I said. I once put together a very convincing argument(it almost convinced me at least >>) for why Meta was evil instead of the real elim when he'd helped lynch multiple other elims and the real elim had done nothing but suspicious things.

17 hours ago, Jondesu said:

@TheMightyLopen, I feel like I almost always end up on your list of suspicions. :P Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think you suspected me in the games where I was an Elim, though.

I can't recall if that's true or not. I know it is true in some cases though, so you could be right. I usually notice when I do that after a while, but I'm not perfect. >>

Drought did indeed mention being sick, so I'll switch my vote to Iamspartacus, since they haven't been online for quite a while. I don't really think it's possible they're the Inquisitor, since the site said they weren't even online during the Night, but I'd rather a true inactive die right now while it won't really hurt us than an active villager be killed just for the very slight chance of us taking out one of the Inquisitors lives(since it's likely they've got multiple).

Rand, I'm still looking forward to reading the elim doc for LG30... When it's finally posted. ;) It's pretty rare that I trust an eliminator like that(mostly because it's rare for me to trust anyone :P), so I think you can understand me putting you on that list. You seem to be acting fairly similar to that game, but it's really the only game I've played with you as a villager, so it's not much of a sample.

Edit: Praise the Ja.

Edited by TheMightyLopen

32 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

This post by Jondesu is actually one of the main reasons I listed him. It honestly looks like a post I might make if I was an eliminator. Helpful advice, to some extent, but will likely be forgotten for the most part, because any number of people probably would have given the advice, or something like it, so it's not like he's doing any damage to himself if he's an eliminator. But he could gain some trust by giving the advice, because an eliminator would never give good advice, right? :P

Stating that we need to "determine who got each power that was stolen and used to convert someone" is rather pointless to mention, since it's the whole point of the game really.

It was a post similar to the one you mentioned, and similar reasoning by me, that made me really tunnel on Jondesu in QF22. I was wrong about him in that game, so I'm not as suspicious of similar posts by him this time around.

Edit: also, unless I miscounted, Lopen's vote has resulted in a draw between Drought and IamSpartacus. If at all possible, I'd prefer not to leave it to vote manipulation who ends up getting lynched.

Edited by randuir

Garshin looked at Hyrwynbe.  Let's see if we can fight annoyingness with annoyingness.  "You never answered my question.  I asked whether you would like to hear about what I do, or used to do anyway, when I had nothing important going on."

There's also a possibility that the Inquisitor looked at Aman's challenge, thought "ooh, free convert!" and then sent in a kill order on Aman.

@Arinian as others have mentioned, people's playstyles can change radically from game to game. I prefer to use and see in-game reasoning rather than outside-game reasoning.

Also, I missed this post earlier (I've been on mobile a lot, and it's easier for me to miss things), but here's a classic, obvious example of what I mean by fillerposting. @Drake Marshall

12 hours ago, Jondesu said:

5 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

He also assumes the Inquisitor will make a Smoker, even though the lynch hasn't happened yet. Maybe he's already made plans for a new Smoker? Assumptions like this are made by villagers from time to time, so it's not like I'd call for his death because of it, but combined with my overall feel of his posts, it makes me wonder.

Lopen and @Kipper, I'm sorry you think that post was just filler, but I think you're being a bit harsh about it. I used some similar tracking and assumptions about who would be converted or killed in previous games and have had some success, which I want to build on.

Also, I was assuming the Inquisitor would make a Smoker because my understanding is that he can make a spike from Aman to convert someone and give them that power. Did I misunderstand how that worked? I even looked back at the LG2 rules to try and confirm before I posted that.

1 minute ago, Jondesu said:

Also, I was assuming the Inquisitor would make a Smoker because my understanding is that he can make a spike from Aman to convert someone and give them that power. Did I misunderstand how that worked? I even looked back at the LG2 rules to try and confirm before I posted that.

What they meant is that he could also use the person we lynch today, if he is a misting.

Just now, randuir said:

What they meant is that he could also use the person we lynch today, if he is a misting.

Ah, good point, I hadn't considered that. Hopefully we can avoid lynching a Misting, then, since I think Smoker is one of the less harmful roles to let the Elims have.

Quond went down the stairs and found several people in a room, yelling at each other. He was about to rush upstairs, but then he figured that it would be more interesting to stay down and listen. He heard them trying to lynch each other. He stayed down there for a while, and looked around, and saw what was going on. They all seemed to be yelling at some poor guy named Drought, who wasn't there. Who was this guy? Nobody seemed to know. Quond sat down on the steps, and decided that he would kill the next person who blamed poor Drought.

6 hours ago, randuir said:

also, unless I miscounted, Lopen's vote has resulted in a draw between Drought and IamSpartacus. If at all possible, I'd prefer not to leave it to vote manipulation who ends up getting lynched.

Hm... Fine, I'll break the tie. I don't like tied votes (possibly because it seems that whenever I'm in a tied vote, they always screw me over :P).

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

Ah, good point, I hadn't considered that. Hopefully we can avoid lynching a Misting, then, since I think Smoker is one of the less harmful roles to let the Elims have.

So... The choice is between a lurker and a full inactive. I'd guess the lurker is slightly more likely to be elim (although Drought notably hasn't really defended himself yet), but I'd also bet that an inactive is slightly less likely to have a misting role. Obviously, there are cases when people have important roles and still go inactive. But it is slightly less common.

So I'll throw my vote on Iamspartacus to break the tie, I guess.

And, yes. I change my votes a lot. Get used to it. :P Before now a tie didn't exist, so I think changing my mind is perfectly justified.

Right now my vote on Drought ising the doing of more harm than good, because ising the leaving of the door open for a vote manip tie. Spartacus. May the Crusade ising the being of commencing.

I think that the Inquisitor offed Aman, and they did it because of paranoia about Aman and his plans. Had I been in the Inquisitor's place I think I would have gone along with Aman's proposition: I love a good battle of wits. A battle like that would not be one I'd be likely to pass up.