Long Game (3)2: Pulling on Strings

Since there still seem to be some questions about the inquisitors actions, I've asked Orlok during the day cycle how many actions the inquisitor got:

the Inquisitor has one standard action, but may additionally convert if a conversion is possible. 

I don't think the inquisitor messed with the vote here. It looked like there was going to be a lynch, but there was no guarantee the lynchee would be a misting, so I doubt the inquisitor would risk wasting his action on that. I expect we'll instead see him using a kill-action this night.

3 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Stating this now in case I die tonight, I suspect the Inquisitor is one of the people who voted, and fair odds that it is one of the three who cast a vote on Sart (or well, one of the two. We know Sart isn't the Inquisitor). @Amanuensis and @DroughtBringer, care to defend yourselves?

Might I ask what led you to this deduction? Has Sart told you anything in a PM that would suggest he might be singled out by an inquisitor? It most certainly wasn't because of his role that Sart could earn the undivided attention of an inquisitor. Furthermore, I'd think the last thing an inquisitor would do at this stage is manipulating a vote he himself supports. If the inquisitor has been using emotional allomancy, then I suspect he voted for someone else, or hasn't voted at all. 

8 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

I suspect that the Inquisitor has some sort of uberzinc or uberbrass (TBH I'm going to play it safe and assume that the Inquisitor has uber-EVERYTHING) and that at least some of the rioting/soothing we saw was the inquisitor's work, most likely the rioting on Lopen. The Inquisitor would not have gained anything by a mislynch on Day 1, and it seems likely s/he would want to use zinc/brass to encourage those lynch along. 

Stating this now in case I die tonight, I suspect the Inquisitor is one of the people who voted, and fair odds that it is one of the three who cast a vote on Sart (or well, one of the two. We know Sart isn't the Inquisitor). @Amanuensis and @DroughtBringer, care to defend yourselves?

As Rand said above, the Inquisitor can't use more than one action a cycle, disregarding the conversion. If you assume the Inquisitor was the Rioter and that his Uber-Brass makes it so that his own vote doesn't get negated (that's actually a pretty good upgrade, now that I think about it), then you'd have to ask yourself, why would I bother? I was active at the very end of the cycle and could clearly see that Sart was going to die, as he was leading the votes. Plus, as Rand also said, that's incredibly risky because there's no reason the Inquisitor should believe Sart had a role. I even doubted he did in my PM with Kipper, if @Kipper wants to confirm it, because of the fact he voted for himself in the first place. Then again, I didn't realize he literally claimed roleless until after the turn was done, so I guess that point is null. Whether I or anyone else is the Inquisitor, it would make a lot more sense that he save his action for tonight so he could kill an additional player.

That being said, I'll admit 100% that I wanted a Misting to die. I've been saying it all day. I wanted the Inquisitor to convert someone tonight because I don't want another day turn where there's only one eliminator among a horde of villagers. The way I see it, the sooner players are Spiked, the sooner the real game can begin. Otherwise the lynch is pretty dang pointless. So, with those motivations, could I be the Inquisitor? For sure. But I'm not. Not really any reason to believe I am, either.

That being said, it could be Drought, but I doubt it. He voted on Sart for "self-preservation" (exact quote) but when he voted, Sart, Mark and Drought were all tied with 2 votes, so that doesn't really make sense. I know Drought pretty well, though, so I think he said that because he wasn't exactly caught up on the entire thread, just knew that he was in danger, especially since I was the player who messaged him asking if he was going to post because I was thinking about voting on him for inactivity.

This next message is directed towards the actual Inquisitor.

I want to propose you a challenge. Do not kill me tonight. Do not convert me tomorrow. Instead, let's have a good old fashioned battle of wits. Why should you accept this? Well, whether you consider my reputation or not, I've put myself in a position where I'm likely to be scanned. There may not be a village Seeker this game, but if there is, chances are they're going to take a gander at me at some point. If they do, I'm going to ask they NOT reveal their identity to me and that they check me again randomly to ensure that I have not turned to the dark side. That way you can't even convert me to find out their identity, or without wasting your conversion on someone who is very likely to get found out. As for killing me... that's the easy route to take. Sure, I might be dangerous, but wouldn't it be a lot more fun if you amassed your team and pit them against me instead?

If you do not accept my challenge, kill me tonight. I promise you that I am a Misting, so killing me will get you a conversion for tomorrow night. But if you do accept my challenge, I ask that you kill Dalinar Kholin or Iamspartacus. Neither have been online since before the game began, so their deaths would not harm the village and there's as decent a chance as any that either of them are Mistings, too. If you kill one and they fail to be a Misting, I will vote on the other one tomorrow, as lynching active players at this stage in the game is utterly pointless until you have a Spiked or two working alongside you.

In the spirit of this challenge, I ask that any and all potential village Lurchers do not use their ability on me, Dalinar or Spar tonight. 

I look forward to seeing your answer either way.

Edited by Amanuensis

i reeealy don't understand the point of the vote manip either 
the only thing i can add  (not sure if anyone said it already) is:  the inquizitor is probably not one of those who voted for sart since it would be too on the nose , also the rioter is one of the 3 who voted or more likely the elim trying to make a tie inpossible to happen . 

19 minutes ago, Manukos said:

i reeealy don't understand the point of the vote manip either 

I have seen role advice being given in other games that suggested vote manipulators announce their presence in cycle 1 by adjusting some unimportant votes. This might have been a case of that.

edit: I've looked it up, and that advice was given in LG31 by Elenion, who was an elim in that game.  I can also see why doing so would be a bad idea, as it gives the elim an idea regarding the amount of vote adjustment there is. If they can figure out who has the vote manipulation, they would be able to use that knowledge for some targeted manipulation, or even just for predicting how a vote will turn out after manipulation has gone through.

Edited by randuir

I can confirm that Aman didn't think Sart had a role. 

@Herowannabe Why do you think the Inquisitor would vote? I can understand Inquisitor motivations for voting, but I can also understand Inquisitor motivations for not voting. I can understand town motivations for voting, but I can also understand town motivations for not voting. Perhaps the motivation that sticks out to me most is the Inquisitor's desire to fly under the radar and not be caught with something so simple as a vote this early in the game.

When Lady Elosa Renaud finished calling out a public challenge to the Inquisitor, Herwynbe applauded loudly. And for much too long. Nobody else joined in the applause. 

Lady Elosa gave him a strange look as he approached her, still applauding. "Bravo!" He said as he stopped applauding, finally, and clapped her on the back. "Way to get into the spirit of the ceremonies! With a challenge like that, I'm sure you'll be dead within a day or two."

He said it while grinning and with genuine enthusiasm in his voice. 

"However, you are from house Renaud, yes? You'll be fascinated to know that your ancestors, far from being outspoken and challenging, actually had quite the reputation for being simpering cowards. Indeed, it was well known among the nobility at the time that you needed to only make the barest suggestion of a threat and house Renaud would bend over backwards offering anything in exchange for mercy. 

"Now surely, you will want to carry on the grand traditions of your forebearers, will you not? I can show you how. No? Well fear not, there are other traditions that house Renaud historically excelled at. For example, did you know that under your great great great great great great great grandfather, Lord Darl, House Renaud had quite the reputation for digging latrines? Yes, the finest latrines in the Central Dominance, it was said.

"I believe I saw some earthen floors in one of the side rooms, now if we can just find a shovel I can teach you the time-honored art of latrine-digging. Your ancestors will be so proud!"

Lady Elosa slipped away unnoticed as the Terrisman began searching for a shovel. 

Obviously, all of the above is purely role play. In truth, @Amanuensis I think your call out is awesome. ;)

7 hours ago, randuir said:

Since there still seem to be some questions about the inquisitors actions, I've asked Orlok during the day cycle how many actions the inquisitor got:

I don't think the inquisitor messed with the vote here. It looked like there was going to be a lynch, but there was no guarantee the lynchee would be a misting, so I doubt the inquisitor would risk wasting his action on that. I expect we'll instead see him using a kill-action this night.

That is good to know... In that light, the Inquisitor probably didn't do the rioting or soothing, UNLESS it's Uber-zinc/brass let's it riot/sooth without using an action somehow. 

Don't underestimate the Inquisitor. I learned that from LG2, it WILL be capable of more that you expect. It is probably the case that the Inquisitor didn't vote manip because of action limitations, but until we know what powers the Inquisitor has we can't be sure. 

3 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

As Rand said above, the Inquisitor can't use more than one action a cycle, disregarding the conversion. If you assume the Inquisitor was the Rioter and that his Uber-Brass makes it so that his own vote doesn't get negated (that's actually a pretty good upgrade, now that I think about it), then you'd have to ask yourself, why would I bother? I was active at the very end of the cycle and could clearly see that Sart was going to die, as he was leading the votes. Plus, as Rand also said, that's incredibly risky because there's no reason the Inquisitor should believe Sart had a role. I even doubted he did in my PM with Kipper, if @Kipper wants to confirm it, because of the fact he voted for himself in the first place. Then again, I didn't realize he literally claimed roleless until after the turn was done, so I guess that point is null. Whether I or anyone else is the Inquisitor, it would make a lot more sense that he save his action for tonight so he could kill an additional player.

That being said, I'll admit 100% that I wanted a Misting to die. I've been saying it all day. I wanted the Inquisitor to convert someone tonight because I don't want another day turn where there's only one eliminator among a horde of villagers. The way I see it, the sooner players are Spiked, the sooner the real game can begin. Otherwise the lynch is pretty dang pointless. So, with those motivations, could I be the Inquisitor? For sure. But I'm not. Not really any reason to believe I am, either.

That being said, it could be Drought, but I doubt it. He voted on Sart for "self-preservation" (exact quote) but when he voted, Sart, Mark and Drought were all tied with 2 votes, so that doesn't really make sense. I know Drought pretty well, though, so I think he said that because he wasn't exactly caught up on the entire thread, just knew that he was in danger, especially since I was the player who messaged him asking if he was going to post because I was thinking about voting on him for inactivity.

This next message is directed towards the actual Inquisitor.

I want to propose you a challenge. Do not kill me tonight. Do not convert me tomorrow. Instead, let's have a good old fashioned battle of wits. Why should you accept this? Well, whether you consider my reputation or not, I've put myself in a position where I'm likely to be scanned. There may not be a village Seeker this game, but if there is, chances are they're going to take a gander at me at some point. If they do, I'm going to ask they NOT reveal their identity to me and that they check me again randomly to ensure that I have not turned to the dark side. That way you can't even convert me to find out their identity, or without wasting your conversion on someone who is very likely to get found out. As for killing me... that's the easy route to take. Sure, I might be dangerous, but wouldn't it be a lot more fun if you amassed your team and pit them against me instead?

If you do not accept my challenge, kill me tonight. I promise you that I am a Misting, so killing me will get you a conversion for tomorrow night. But if you do accept my challenge, I ask that you kill Dalinar Kholin or Iamspartacus. Neither have been online since before the game began, so their deaths would not harm the village and there's as decent a chance as any that either of them are Mistings, too. If you kill one and they fail to be a Misting, I will vote on the other one tomorrow, as lynching active players at this stage in the game is utterly pointless until you have a Spiked or two working alongside you.

In the spirit of this challenge, I ask that any and all potential village Lurchers do not use their ability on me, Dalinar or Spar tonight. 

I look forward to seeing your answer either way.

1 hour ago, Kipper said:

I can confirm that Aman didn't think Sart had a role. 

@Herowannabe Why do you think the Inquisitor would vote? I can understand Inquisitor motivations for voting, but I can also understand Inquisitor motivations for not voting. I can understand town motivations for voting, but I can also understand town motivations for not voting. Perhaps the motivation that sticks out to me most is the Inquisitor's desire to fly under the radar and not be caught with something so simple as a vote this early in the game.

I thought I made it clear, but apparently not. Regardless of what the village wanted for day 1, the Inquisitor certainly wanted a lynch. The Inquisitor gains nothing from a no-lynch situation Day 1. So whether it vote-manipped or simply cast a vote, it probably would have wanted to do something to help ensure that a lynch went through. Maybe it was amanuensis or Drought and cast a vote on Sart to help see it through. Maybe it has some sort of uber-Brass that automatically soothes whoever it votes for, and it was @Mark IV voting on Ecthelion to sooth his vote away from him and make it more likely one of the other lynch candidates would die. 

Or maybe the Inquisitor sat back and did nothing, and gambled on the lynch going through on someone. I'm not discounting that possibility. But my gut says it was one of the voters. 

Edited by Herowannabe
Correcting auto-correct

4 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

I thought I made it clear, but apparently not. Regardless of what the village wanted for day 1, the Inquisitor certainly wanted a lynch. The Inquisitor gains nothing from a no-lynch situation Day 1. So whether it vote-manipped or simply cast a vote, it probably would have wanted to do something to help ensure that a lynch went through. Maybe it was amanuensis or Drought and cast a vote on Sart to help see it through. Maybe it has some sort of uber-Brass that automatically soothes whoever it votes for, and it was @Mark IV voting on Ecthelion to sooth his vote away from him and make it more likely one of the other lynch candidates would die. 

I get most of your post here, except for the reason you've @mentioned me. What do you want me to say? My reasons for voting for Ecthelion are pretty clear. I've stated why I voted for him last turn.

4 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

When Lady Elosa Renaud finished calling out a public challenge to the Inquisitor, Herwynbe applauded loudly. And for much too long. Nobody else joined in the applause.

Or maybe the Inquisitor sat back and did nothing, and gambled on the lynch going through on someone. I'm not discounting that possibility. But my gut says it was one of the voters. 

I think I'm going to need to write some roleplay soon. I'm looking forward to responding to this. Just in case the Inquisitor decides to kill me tonight, though, I'll save it for the next day turn, because if Elosa's going to die, I'd rather it not happen immediately after Mykal comes to the rescue. Besides, it's going to take some time for my character to find where she was brought too, anyway.

If it was one of the voters, the only ones that really make sense are Drought, Ecth or Silverblade. Drought because he was the one who made the killing vote, Ecth and Silverblade for being potential Rioters. That being said, I'm inclined to believe that Ecth is telling the truth about not being responsible for Lopen's vote. I can't say the same for Silverblade, unfortunately, but no other voter makes sense for that criteria, since they weren't deciding factors in the kill. Unless Uber-Brass makes it so they can redirect a vote without their own vote being negated, it's most likely the Rioter is among those who didn't vote. Depending on if the Inquisitor uses their kill tonight, we're very likely to know if it was a villager Rioter or not, so we should probably wait until next turn to discuss that possibility.

7 minutes ago, Mark IV said:

I get most of your post here, except for the reason you've @mentioned me. What do you want me to say? My reasons for voting for Ecthelion are pretty clear. I've stated why I voted for him last turn.

What he's saying is that you voting for Ecth might have been a tell of the Uber-Brass ability. His idea is that Uber-Brass can negate the vote of a player of the Inquisitor's choice (or, specifically, the player the Inquisitor votes for) instead of your own vote to fuel the redirection of another vote. It's actually an interesting upgrade for the power, too, now that I think about it. Slightly more powerful than the interpretation I came up with, but still not unbalanced.

57 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Winkleton sat back, while applauding, and thought "She is going to die"

EDIT: Praise the Ja

Edited by Ornstein

39 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

After Herwynbe's little speech, Garshin went up to him.  "Tell me, are you a Keeper?"

Herwynbe smiled and said, much too loudly, "Indeed I am! My whole life I have collected knowledge of the past waiting for the day when I can share that knowledge with those who have lived so long with out it, and now, with the passing of the Lord Ruler, I have that opportunity. 

"So what lost knowledge may I impart to you?" Herwynbe's face lit up, and he went on without waiting for an answer. "Oh! Would you like to learn how to dig a latrine? I was just about to show Lady Elosa... now where did she go? Never the matter, she'll be along shortly I'm sure. Come on! It seems we don't have any shovels, so we'll have to use our bare hands."

Herwynbe knelt down on the dirt floor and began digging at it with his hands, making next to no progress in the hard packed dirt  

Rhea woke to the sound of applause.

She opened her eyes, but couldn't see anything. Rough cloth pressed against her face, and her mouth was gagged shut.

By the Lord Ruler, what -- how -- what --

Rhea screamed, or tried to. It came out muted and barely audible, even to her own ears.

Oh, Lord Ruler Lord Ruler Lord Ruler --how could she escape -- what had happened where was Uncle Dayton --she needed to get out! She brought her hands to her face and found a burlap bag. Rhea grabbed it and flailed. Lord Ruler, she could barely breathe with the gag she wanted it off off off off --

Finally she pulled it off. Relief! Rhea fell to the ground, panting.

She must have been kidnapped. How had she gotten here? Didn't matter. She had to escape.

Rhea scrambled to her feet and ran. A few white envelopes dripped from her pocket, but she ignored them. She had to get out escape run

-- straight into a Terrisman. He hunched over the ground, digging something. A grave! Her grave! By the Lord Ruler -- 

Rhea shrieked and promptly fainted.

Garshin caught the newcomer and laid her down gently, then turned back to Herwynbe.  "I was actually wondering what your specialty is.  I am correct in my understanding that each Keeper has a specialty in the knowledge they maintain, am I not?"

Edited by Yitzi2

42 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

Garshin caught the newcomer and laid her down gently.  "I was actually wondering what your specialty is.  I am correct in my understanding that each Keeper has a specialty in the knowledge they maintain, am I not?"

"Ahh, I see." Herwynbe leaned in conspiratorially. "My specialty is mundanity."

Garshin blinked. 

"Yes, Mundanity," Herwynbe went on. "You see, all the flashy subjects like Religion and World leaders and military conflicts and the like had already been studied in depth by the other keepers, so I chose to study the mundane. What did the regular people do during their time when they weren't doing anything important? What were their daily habits? Their mealtime rituals? How did they dress and act? And so on."

Herwynbe shifted to examine the unconscious woman who had just collided with him.

"It really is quite fascinating. For example, did you know that the Tsubodai people never washed their hands? It wasn't religious or cultural or anything, they were just lazy and never saw the point. It's a practice that I adopted several years ago, and let me tell you! It is so refreshing to not have to bother with things like personal hygiene! Sure I've had Gastroenteritis 14 separate times now, but the benefits of mental peace of mind far outweigh the physical hardships."

Garshin eyed the Terrisman's ministrations. Perhaps it would be best if the Terrisman didn't handle the unconscious girl...  

Rieyun turned to the sound of the scream and saw Rhea on the ground while two men were conversing.

Oh proud and glorious Ja, why is SHE stuck in this terrible pit of murder. 

He contemplated for a moment, and then remembered that she had been trying to reach Tekiel, maybe she received a letter as well.

While she's not dead, I should probably use this chance to make amends between her and Quinn!

Without any explanation whatsoever, he grabs his well-mannered acquaintance and drags him towards the fallen woman.

Here's your chance @Hemalurgic_Headshot:P

PRAISE THE JA

Edited by OmeGaster
Praise the Ja

Remart snored right through all the jabbering the others were doing. No use worrying about any of this until morning.

I already expressed my thoughts for the most part. I hate to say it, but while there was a ton of good discussion, we won't get much out of it until there's a conversion or two and we get to compare this cycle with people's behavior later. I agree with Aman's challenge, because I'd rather have a fun game than one that ends rapidly, even if it does end up with an Elim victory. I'll be happier with an Elim victory if I'm converted, of course, but I'll be happy with a fun and active game no matter the outcome or which side I'm on.

Ry dragged Quinn over to an unconscious woman, who lay beside the strange Terrisman and another man. The Terrisman was digging with his hands. Rather unsanitary, Quinn thought. Ry dragged him closer to the strange gathering. When they drew close, Quinn halted. He remembered the woman from somewhere!

It's the poor woman you yelled at.

It was the woman from the street! Quinn flushed, recalling the event. But, being the gentleman he was, he stepped forward to apologize.

Might I point out that she is unconscious?

Quinn hesitated, then tapped her shoulder. The woman didn't move. Quinn tapped her again, gently, so she wouldn't be annoyed. Yet again, the woman remained motionless. Then it came to him. She was stuck! So Quinn helped the woman to her feet. He steadied her, as it seemed she was a bit off balance, then stepped away so that she had some room to breathe. She nearly fell over, but Quinn caught her. It was then that he realized she was unconscious. Quinn flushed with embarrassment. 

It took you that long?

I must say that he was exceedingly polite.

A shame it was wasted.

Quinn waved his hand over her face, but received no reaction. With the help of Ry, they carried the woman over to the tables so that she had something equivalent to a bed to rest on. Then something pale caught his attention from the corner of his eye. An envelope! It must have fallen from the lady's dress. He promptly retrieved it and placed it beside the woman on the table.

I suppose he takes this "gentleman" thing in stride...

That's what his wife thinks is so charming about him.

@Arraenae

Ry did not know what to do.

He wanted Rhea to wake up so that Quinn could apologize, but the best ways of doing so were completely unmannerly and completely against his code. He thought for a moment, pondering on the situation until a brilliant, yet also terrible Idea came to him.

He grabbed the man who slapped him earlier by the collar, and dragged him towards Rhea.

@Ornstein@Hemalurgic_Headshot, and @Arraenae

PRAISE THE JA

Edited by OmeGaster
Praise him!

Quond looked up from his book. They had given him a small room until "he was needed". He had been reading basically that entire day. Then after hearing some fairly loud screams, stabs, and yells of "lets not worry about who killed who", Quond had shrugged and returned to his book.