Long Game (3)2: Pulling on Strings

25 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Oh. Dang it. I should have thought of that too. >.<

Sorry Sart! Not like my vote would have changed things, since it was rioted, but if I'd paid better attention, I could have asked for votes to be moved/removed. :/

Alright, I'm actually going to bed now, but at least there's two bright sides that came out of this: no one active died, and Sart now has more time to run the next MR.

Edited by Amanuensis

28 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Alright, I'm actually going to bed now, but at least there's two bright sides that came out of this: no one active died, and Sart now has more time to run the next MR.

The dead guy is running something called an 'MR'?

Jelwynd scratched his head in confusion. This must be more of that allomancy talk. Unless he was missing something. He had spent most of the past cycle sleeping off the thug-sized dose of whatever they'd used to get everyone here. He'd only caught pieces of what was said, but was determined to catch up. "What did I miss?" he asked the nearest person blearily 

Sorry everyone, real life has been getting in the way of my ability to dedicate enough attention to this game. Teachers apparently assign a lot of homework and exams in the week leading up to spring break so they have the extra time to grade them and can submit the grades in time for the semi-semester progress reports. On the bright side, 2 of the 3 projects due this week and 4 of the 7 tests have already happened, so I should have more time coming up. I'm going to read the backlog as soon as possible to catch up as much as I can

Garshin looked at Jelwynd.  "Gaetan got a bunch of guys to help him commit suicide.  I am convinced that the person or creature writing these letters is under the belief that he is amusing.  There's a Terris keeper here who is really annoying.  Ruin's plans are proceeding smoothly, but I suspect that has little to do with our current predicament.  Though I believe it was mentioned that our adversary is an Inquisitor, so that is some connection."

Actually, now that I check it out... @Silverblade5 voted for Aonar, and now that's also been cancelled.

So clearly either Ecthelion or Silverblade was soothed, and either the other one rioted TheMightyLopen's vote, or they were both soothed and someone who didn't vote (or an inquisitor whose super-zinc does not negate his own vote) rioted TheMightyLopen's vote.

@Ecthelion III, what we're talking about is that someone used Rioter powers to change TheMightyLopen's vote, and using Rioter powers negates one's own vote...and your vote was negated.

Edited by Yitzi2

Uh...what motivation would I have had to move Lopen's vote? I wasn't in danger of any kind, I didn't even support the lynch on Sart, and it just would have revealed me as having that role and left myself vulnerable just like Aman said. Such a move would be absolutely absurd.

In other words, I was just Soothed.    But I still don't think that Silverblade is the Rioter, for similar reasons. My money for the Rioter is definitely on Drake Marshall, who posted quite a few times but (despite any justification he may have offered) suspiciously didn't vote.

Here's a comparison of the vote tallies. The one to the left is from Aman's final vote tally in D1, and the one to the right that is from Orlok's post.

Final vote tally pre-manipulation:                            Final vote tally post-manipulation:

(3) SartSartAmanuensisDroughtBringer,          (4) Sart: Sart, Amanuensis, Droughtbringer,  TheMightyLopen
(2) Mark IVJondesuEcthelion III,                         (1) Mark IV: Jondesu,
(2) DroughtBringerElenionArinian,                    (2) Drought: Elenion, Arinian
(1) Aonar FaileasSilverblade5,                            (0) Aonar Faileas:
(1) Ecthelion IIIMark IV,                                       (1) Ecthelion III: Mark IV, 
(1) Silverblade5: Randuir                                       (1) SilverBlade: Randuir

EDIT: Accidentally sent this early. I've reformatted it to be easier to understand and added analysis. 

No votes pre-manipulation: Hemalurgic Headshot, Darkness Ascendant, Magestar, Herwynbe, Yitzi2, Metacognition, Arraenae, TheMightyLopen, little wilson, Iamspartacus, Ornstein, Araris Valerian, Dalinar Kholin, OmeGaster, Kipper, Bugsy, Figberts, Manukos, Aonar Faileas

All changes are colored in orange. Ecth's vote and Silverblade's votes are gone. Lopen's vote was added to Sart's vote. Sart was already going to be lynched, so Lopen's rioted vote didn't change the outcome of the lynch. Before soothing, Mark and Drought were in danger of being lynched instead of Sart, if there was a last minute vote switch. I think it might be worthwhile to watch Mark and Drought more closely later.

It's possible that Silverblade might just have been soothed by a friendly village Soother. If I was a Soother, I'd let people know by picking a poke vote that had no influence on lynch decisions and sooth it. I think that might have happened here.

Edited by Arraenae
Sent the post out early

Quick post from mobile: IMO if a rioter wanted to move a vote, I think they'd be one of the ones who didn't vote in the end. That is, if they were careful. 

Which is why I think neither Ecth more silver blade were rioters. I suspect someone soothed them. Which means we might have two soothers. 

The soothing on Ecth seems to have been done to save me. (I wonder who did that)

The soothing on Silver blade doesn't seem to have affected much. So, I suspect that may have been a soother announcing their presence. 

Given that I now suspect there's two soother roles, I don't think this game is completely roleless (unlike the last QF >.>). Which does leave some possibility for a scanner. 

Anyways, one thing I'd like to say:

I highly doubt Ecth rioted anyone, because he primarily wanted me lynched. So, there was no point in voting for me, then rioting to someone else, and having it show. 

However, this is all speculation and assumes no one made any mistakes. 

Praise The Ja!

(Note that I still have to catch up on the last few hours of D1. So, i might have missed out info from there.)

Edited by Mark IV

Rae, as per the rules, Soothers can soothe anyone (including themselves), and it's just a vote negation. Nothing happens to their vote. Rioters, however, have their own vote negated when they riot a vote. I would assume that they could riot their own vote, but I'm not sure why anyone would, since it would be useless. Their vote would be negated in the process of the riot, so it would end up no different than a soothe.

2 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Rae, as per the rules, Soothers can soothe anyone (including themselves), and it's just a vote negation. Nothing happens to their vote. Rioters, however, have their own vote negated when they riot a vote. I would assume that they could riot their own vote, but I'm not sure why anyone would, since it would be useless. Their vote would be negated in the process of the riot, so it would end up no different than a soothe.

Unless of course you wanted it to look like a soothing for some reason. I don't know why you'd want to do that, but meh. It sounded interesting.

Praise the Ja!

Edited by Mark IV
Praise the Ja! The Ja shall prevail!

Hm... Wasing no killings last night.

And wasing two vote manipulations. Ising the agree that Silverblade's vote negation wasing a soother announcing themselves.

It seems discussion is very much centered on soothing/rioting, and I suppose I will continue that.

So... For Ecth's thinking I am rioting people... Honestly, why would you think I was the one rioting? There are loads of players whose votes didn't end up counting (yours included), and you single out me? I don't get it.

Yes, I didn't vote last cycle. Frankly, I didn't feel qualified to. I hadn't read the majority of the massive thread that was unfolding, and while I posted analysis for what I saw in front of me, I let the people who had a better pulse on things have their votes.

And, again... You say I made "quite a few" posts, but frankly, there are other people who were substantially more active than I was, who also didn't vote.

Furthermore, looking at the posting times, it looks like in a span of very little time you went from asking people what they were talking about to suspect you of rioting, to pinning it on me.

This makes little sense to me. I'm kind of wondering if you are just trying to scapegoat me here...

I realize I might be paranoid against you because my bad gut reads on you last LG were proven disastrously right, and because of that I'll try to keep myself from voting on you.

Or, actually... Changin' my mind. If you want me to prove I'm not a rioter, what better way is there but to cast a vote?

I realize that the inquisitor may choose to soothe me now, just to sow chaos. But he can't do that every cycle, can he? Or at least, if he does, I'll be wasting his actions.

So, guess I'll vote on you, Ecthelion. Unless a better target presents itself...

Sorry for slipping out of high imperial... It'll be featured more in RP posts. In the meantime, I got to catch up some on last cycle.

Ising the believing that the Rioting of Lopen was done for the solidifying of the vote on Sart, not for the saving of Mark or Drought. A village Rioter could have wasing the doing of the moving of the vote to ensure that no Rioting wasing the saving of Sart, while in the process ising the declaring of their role as in the game, much like we ising the guessing of the Soothing of SB.

Translation because syntax was weird this post:

I think the Rioter moved Lopen's vote not to save Mark or Drought but to solidify the vote on Sart and declare that their role was in the game. They chose Lopen because they knew he was active and would notice the change, and they chose Sart because they didn't want him getting off because of other vote manip. This makes me think the Rioter is village.

[Note: For time reasons, I'm only doing translations on posts where the High Imperial verbage makes my points unclear. For the rest you're on your own.]

18 minutes ago, Mark IV said:

@Drake Marshall It's a night turn. No votes right now. :P

No killings occurred last turn because it was a day turn. It's still cycle 1. Just the latter half of it. 

Praise the Ja!

LOL the last game I wasing the play, wasing a QF, and ising the confuse, ising guess. Needing to pay more attention.

Be disregarding this vote of Serray then, I guess? :P

Translation: LOL the last game I played was a QF and I'm confused I guess. I need to pay more attention.

Disregard my vote then I guess? :P

Edited by Drake Marshall
Converted the post to high imperial!

@OmeGaster Ising the seeing of you wasing the viewing of the thread, but you wasing the not of posting. Ising the what of your thoughts on the Rioting?

Translation: I saw you viewing the thread, but you didn't post. What are your thoughts, specifically on why Lopen's vote was Rioted?

It's far too late for me to be posting, btw (it's 1:30AM), but I can't sleep anyways.  It looks to me like the rioting/soothing was probably mostly by villagers, and I suspect that's not the power that would have been appealing to the Inquisitor this round. They'll want to find Mistings, so if they have bronze or tin, they'll use one of those. Maybe they can use multiple powers, but unless the Inquisitor themselves was in danger, I doubt they'd have bothered with rioting or soothing.

A rather tall door leading to a side room flung open, and Herwynbe strode out, pulling something large on a cart hidden under a makeshift tarp. 

"Behold, my friends! I present..." Herwynbe exclaimed, and yanked the tarp off of the cart, revealing a makeshift- but sturdily built- gallows. "... a gallows! You see, traditionally, these sorts of murder ceremonies center around a daily lynching, though of course other methods of homicide have been implem- Oh rats, you started without me."

The Terrisman's face fell as he noticed Gaetan's bloody corpse. 

But seriously, sorry all, I meant to post more but real life ran away with my free time, and I'm used to having the cycle end around 10pm local time, and by the time I realized that the cycle would be ending earlier it was already over. 

I still haven't read the second half of the posts from Day 1, but the plus side is that now I get to do so knowing what the results of the lynch are. Since we (or well, enough of us) decided that it was worthwhile to have a day 1 lynch, we might as well learn what we can from it. 

I suspect that the Inquisitor has some sort of uberzinc or uberbrass (TBH I'm going to play it safe and assume that the Inquisitor has uber-EVERYTHING) and that at least some of the rioting/soothing we saw was the inquisitor's work, most likely the rioting on Lopen. The Inquisitor would not have gained anything by a mislynch on Day 1, and it seems likely s/he would want to use zinc/brass to encourage those lynch along. 

Stating this now in case I die tonight, I suspect the Inquisitor is one of the people who voted, and fair odds that it is one of the three who cast a vote on Sart (or well, one of the two. We know Sart isn't the Inquisitor). @Amanuensis and @DroughtBringer, care to defend yourselves?

Edited by Herowannabe
Spelling

1 hour ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Vot manip :D Love this stuff...

I mean its not like the vote manip actually changed anything.

Probably just rioters and soothers announcing their presence. The rioter may have wanted there to be a decisive lynch on Sart? I'm not really sure there was much reason to lynch Sart in particular, but I can support making sure there is a D1 lynch.

But *shrugs*

We'll have a clearer picture of what is happening vote manipulation wise after more cycles.