Lightsong The Fool? *spoilers*

Bandoolero

*SPOILERS*

So Lightsond discovers the tunnels, and that one of the tunnels leads to the training grounds of the lifeless army, and another tunnel leads to a cave/room where suspicious armed men hold Blushweaver captive. And what does he decide? To charge in alone, get himself captured, and eventually give up the command phrases to the lifeless. Instead of *just strolling over to the lifeless training grounds via the tunnel, and commanding one or two squads of lifeless to follow him back to the conspirator's hideout to take them out*. Thus the name of the topic. Is he really the most retarded god of the pantheon? ^^ 

What you have to understand, is how the Returned are raised in the Court.

He has no pratical knowledge. The only experience they have is about be above all the rest, the only people they interact are their own followers. The idea someone could try to harm him (and the possibility they could succed in the act) is something beyond their resoning.

Much more Lightsong was in a "I was the coolest and badass person in the world" so...you see the conseguences.

32 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Nice @Yata, I'm not sure I would have been able to explain it like that without a tinge of annoyance creeping into my voice XD

I spent a lot of time to keep calm my girlfriend and keep myself polite with my subscribers...So in the end give me some skill on this XD

I envy you....you had no the need to develop this skill ;-)

Edited by Yata

Yeah, combine the fact that all of the Returned are taught to see themselves as gods at the pinnacle of their society (with more than a little support behind the belief), the fact that almost nobody in Hallandren would be suicidal enough to try and harm one of them and Lightsong having decided that he was a former police investigator or something along those lines before his return (mistakenly but not unreasonably so) and Lightsong's actions make perfect sense to him.

On 3/19/2017 at 8:50 AM, Bandoolero said:

*SPOILERS*

So Lightsond discovers the tunnels, and that one of the tunnels leads to the training grounds of the lifeless army, and another tunnel leads to a cave/room where suspicious armed men hold Blushweaver captive. And what does he decide? To charge in alone, get himself captured, and eventually give up the command phrases to the lifeless. Instead of *just strolling over to the lifeless training grounds via the tunnel, and commanding one or two squads of lifeless to follow him back to the conspirator's hideout to take them out*. Thus the name of the topic. Is he really the most retarded god of the pantheon? ^^ 

Welcome to the Shard!

You make a compelling argument, I think it's pretty clear Lightsong didn't play his hand very well if his intent was to live a long life (though, technically, it probably wasn't).  That said, not everyone in a story gets to be smart and exercise good judgement all the time.  The first Mistborn trilogy explores this with Vin (the main character if you haven't read it yet) as part of her character arc.  She occasionally makes bad calls and suffers embarrassment and fallout for them; it's a harsh but fair system.

Keep in mind also that Lightsong was probably being guided by his emerging memory of the vision of the future he had when he Returned; subconsciously, he knew he needed to get captured.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, hwiles said:

Keep in mind also that Lightsong was probably being guided by his emerging memory of the vision of the future he had when he Returned; subconsciously, he knew he needed to get captured.

Exactly, even though Lightsong did not believe in his own divinity it is still shown that he is a god is some way. This is revealed as he dies. His unacknowledged godhood led him to get himself into a terrible situation, which he turned into an incredible one. If it was not for him, the Pahn Kahl would have gotten away with it, the god king would have not have survived, and Siri would have been sacrificed on an altar

• 2 weeks later...

Since Lightsong is one of my favorite characters in the Cosmere I will always try to find reasons behind his actions. I agree that due to his upbringing as a Returned he has been sheltered. But I think he really just wants to do something on his own. At this point he has been feeling useless and has made up his own backstory to justify his title. He believes that his latent abilities will show themselves once he is in danger. Because of all this I think Lightsong overestimates his abilities (obviously) and makes a blunder that many overeager young heroes make. I mean it really could have happened to anybody!

• Chaos locked this topic