Oathbringer Cover Revealed

ADIMORTIS

1 hour ago, Sherwin94 said:

Woooo the Oathbringer cover is out.

http://www.tor.com/2017/03/16/revealing-the-cover-to-oathbringer-the-third-book-in-brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive/

Hmm the giants seem to be thunderclasts, and looks like a big void-war is going on. wow.

Topics merged.

This seems to be a class of thunderclast https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/5zqsbv/stormlight_archives_3_oathbringer_cover_art_reveal/df0d9rd/ . I guess the question is does the size and type of thunderclast depend on the type of spren?

JorusC: I got the sense in the prologue of Way of Kings that the dead Thunderclast there was quadrupedal. So maybe it's more the class of monster, with different shapes?

PeterAhlstrom: This.

Edited by v Sim CO

Well. I guess the trickle of information for Oathbringer is going to pick up soon. I hope this forum gets another ARG like it did for WoR. That was fun.

Though the prerelease hype campaign is almost a negative for me, it makes the wait soooo much longer.

I wonder if this is an indication that Jasnah is going to be a prominent character going forward.

18 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

Transportation is the surge of motion, so Jasnah has telekinetic abilities

Um, I don't think that is necessarily the case.  At least not from my understanding of the Transportation surge:

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Surgebinding#Transportation

Not saying you are wrong, just that we haven't seen anything that indicates that transportation does more than allow one to transport things instantaneously from one location to another.  I also think that being a telekinetic would make the Elsecallers grossly overpowered compared to other orders, so that also convinces me that the Transportation surge is likely to be more limited.  Then again, who knows.

Still, the floating stairs, and the floating Jasnah (if intentional on Michael's part), seem to indicate that our understanding of the current Elsecaller powers are still incomplete.  Or perhaps the floating stairs and herself is from some other source (other than surgebinding), we'll have to see...

3 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

Still, the floating stairs, and the floating Jasnah (if intentional on Michael's part), seem to indicate that our understanding of the current Elsecaller powers are still incomplete.  Or perhaps the floating stairs and herself is from some other source (other than surgebinding), we'll have to see...

Or assistance from another surgebinder. Though I am aware of no powers that could do what we are seeing. Kaladin could make her float for example, but why the floating stairs?  (Could he? She is holding stormlight so she should be difficult to lash.) 

Edited by dionysus

I can only hope that the meeting of Jasnah and Kaladin  (if such a thing occurs) is rather dynamic as in many ways Jasnah is the ultimate brightlady boogie man to Kaladin while I am curious how she would react to such a contradictory man as he is.

Just now, Looter said:

I can only hope that the meeting of Jasnah and Kaladin  (if such a thing occurs) is rather dynamic as in many ways Jasnah is the ultimate brightlady boogie man to Kaladin while I am curious how she would react to such a contradictory man as he is.

She'd probably be ecstatic to meet an intellectual equal who doesn't see her as a romantic interest, imo

13 minutes ago, Patrick Star said:

She'd probably be ecstatic to meet an intellectual equal who doesn't see her as a romantic interest, imo

Intellectual equals? I mean, the guy knows a lot about a very specific trade (surgery). But I would absolutely not call Kaladin an intellectual.

Just now, jofwu said:

Intellectual equals? I mean, the guy knows a lot about a very specific trade (surgery). But I would absolutely not call Kaladin an intellectual.

Shallan describes him as brilliant, I find it hard to imagine Jasnah would get a different impression.  And the only reason he's not an stereotypical intellectual is because he was born a darkeyes, which I doubt would be much of an issue as far as Jasnah's impression goes.

20 minutes ago, dionysus said:

Or assistance from another surgebinder. Though I am aware of no powers that could do what we are seeing. Kaladin could make her float for example, but why the floating stairs?  (Could he? She is holding stormlight so she should be difficult to lash.) 

Could this just be an artistic representation of Jasnah being partially in the cognitive realm and partially in the physical? The stairs exist in the physical but don't exist as such in the cognitive or vice versa?

1 hour ago, The Flash said:

This is from the last chapter, right? UNLEASH THE SPECULATION

Knowing Team Sanderson, I bet it's in the first half of the book ans the ending is incomprehensible awesomess. 

47 minutes ago, dionysus said:

Well. I guess the trickle of information for Oathbringer is going to pick up soon. I hope this forum gets another ARG like it did for WoR. That was fun.

Though the prerelease hype campaign is almost a negative for me, it makes the wait soooo much longer.

I wonder if this is an indication that Jasnah is going to be a prominent character going forward.

ARG?

Peter was such a troll and it was awesome. 

17 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Knowing Team Sanderson, I bet it's in the first half of the book ans the ending is incomprehensible awesomess. 

ARG?

Peter was such a troll and it was awesome. 

Augmented reality game. I think this is the wrong term as that also normally has real world components.. Basically we had to follow a trail of clues on 17thshard that would lead to a code that unlocked a chapter of WoR that we could read ahead of time.

13 minutes ago, dionysus said:

Augmented reality game. I think this is the wrong term as that also normally has real world components.. Basically we had to follow a trail of clues on 17thshard that would lead to a code that unlocked a chapter of WoR that we could read ahead of time.

Shard hunt! Yessss

53 minutes ago, IntentAwesome said:

Could this just be an artistic representation of Jasnah being partially in the cognitive realm and partially in the physical? The stairs exist in the physical but don't exist as such in the cognitive or vice versa?

Oh, that's a great thought, I like that interpretation.

What if the reason why Ivory the shardblade appears to be shimmery with an almost immaterial appearance in the center  is because at whatever Elsecaller level Jasnah is by then the sprenblade can turn into a portal of sorts to shadesmar? So she can Elsecall multiple people at the same time, or even better, bring something over.

In my opinion that would fit with what we've seen so far of surgebinding power progression.

3 minutes ago, Araz said:

What if the reason why Ivory the shardblade appears to be shimmery with an almost immaterial appearance in the center  is because at whatever Elsecaller level Jasnah is by then the sprenblade can turn into a portal of sorts to shadesmar? So she can Elsecall multiple people at the same time, or even better, bring something over.

In my opinion that would fit with what we've seen so far of surgebinding power progression.

The original Elsecallers would often bring other people into Shadesmar, it's in one of the excerpts from (the in-world) Words of Radiance. Jasnah also obviously doesn't emerge from there naked at the end of the book either, so she can carry stuff in and out as well. But it would be cool if she used Ivory as a portal - I don't think it works like that, but it would be cool.

The cover is simply astounding (even if Jasnah is floating for seemingly no reason) but... but I was hoping for Dalinar (legends say he's featured in the WoK cover but to me seems only a random Shardbearer) :ph34r:

On a side note, nice info on the Thunderclast.

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

We actually have confirmation from a panel at Boskone that this scene is from the very end of the book. It's buried in the middle of the "Career Panel" linked here: