Are there really 16 Surges?

Cosmere Savant

So far we know that Ruin had an equal and opposite reaction to Preservation. I think there will be 10 voidbringer surges.

Spoiler

We already know of three God voidspren the future bringer who causes those death rattles Moelach, the spren that brings the Thrill, and now the Everstorm spren

. I'm betting its just 10 for some reason.

1 hour ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

So far we know that Ruin had an equal and opposite reaction to Preservation. I think there will be 10 voidbringer surges.

Hide contents

We already know of three God voidspren the future bringer who causes those death rattles Moelach, the spren that brings the Thrill, and now the Everstorm spren

. I'm betting its just 10 for some reason.

Moelach(Death Rattles) and Nergaoul(The Thrill) are Unmade, which we know for a fact there are not 10 of. Everstorm Spren(Voidspren) are much more like an equivalent to Radiant Spren, and they cannot be considered a Voidish GodSpren because they are not a singular figure like the Stormfather.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Moelach(Death Rattles) and Nergaoul(The Thrill) are Unmade, which we know for a fact there are not 10 of. Everstorm Spren(Voidspren) are much more like an equivalent to Radiant Spren, and they cannot be considered a Voidish GodSpren because they are not a singular figure like the Stormfather.

The Everstorm is the stormfather's opposite though. A singular entity that opposes him. Why would this not be a singular figure? Just because windspren come with the highstorm doesn't mean that they are the highstorm per se

Just now, Radiant_Jaeger said:

The Everstorm is the stormfather's opposite though. A singular entity that opposes him. Why would this not be a singular figure? Just because windspren come with the highstorm doesn't mean that they are the highstorm per se

Is the Everstorm the Stormfather's opposite, or the opposite of a Highstorm?
The post prior to mine essentially did equate Windspren with the Highstorm, only on the Voidish side.
The Stormfather can accelerate the coming of a Highstorm. This does not mean that he is the Highstorm.
I can see a Highstorm having Spren, but I don't see a Spren having the power to physically manifest as something the size of the Storms.

Side Note: Your post is the first I've seen equating the Stormfather and the Everstorm. Actually, it's the first time I have ever seen anything considering the Storms as Entities. i'm curious if there is a source on these statements, as it would be rather illuminating on the whole issue.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

The post prior to mine essentially did equate Windspren with the Highstorm, only on the Voidish side.
The Stormfather can accelerate the coming of a Highstorm. This does not mean that he is the Highstorm.
I can see a Highstorm having Spren, but I don't see a Spren having the power to physically manifest as something the size of the Storms.

Side Note: Your post is the first I've seen equating the Stormfather and the Everstorm. Actually, it's the first time I have ever seen anything considering the Storms as Entities. i'm curious if there is a source on these statements, as it would be rather illuminating on the whole issue.

Thanks I guess i'll start a topic about it then! I'm curious about these and the Nightwatcher as well. What if she has a voidbringer equivalent, or even worse IS a voidbringer equivalent. The child of odium and cultivation (Lol that would make Lift correct in her assessment which seems like a Sanderson thing to do)

What if she has a Voidbringer equivalent, or even worse IS a Voidbringer equivalent. The child of odium and cultivation

Brandon has said something akin to "the Nightwatcher is to Cultivation what the Stormfather is to Honor." That should preclude the possibility of her being of two Shards.

@The One Who ConnectsI'm thinking she'll get an opposite too then. Perhaps the Unmade since we don't really know what they are yet. Just found this Re-Shephir, the Midnight Mother, giving birth to abominations with her essence so dark, so terrible, so consuming. She is here! She watches me die! Boom our Nightmother's opposite.

Edited by Radiant_Jaeger

@The One Who ConnectsI'm thinking she'll get an opposite too then. Perhaps the Unmade since we don't really know what they are yet.

We know that the Unmade are Splinters of Odium, while the Stormfather existed as "The Rider of Storms" prior to the arrival of the Shards(I believe). I don't think they are functionally equivalent entities.

8 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I think it's that the Stormfather is the spren of the highstorms. The Everstorm, a counter to the Highstorms, would therefore be the opposite of the Stormfather, as he is the sapient embodiment of the Highstorms.

10 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I think it's that the Stormfather is the spren of the highstorms. The Everstorm, a counter to the Highstorms, would therefore be the opposite of the Stormfather, as he is the sapient embodiment of the Highstorms.

(Insert very long "ohhh" here) That makes a lot more sense.

On 16/03/2017 at 8:18 AM, Krandacth said:

Whilst I generally agree, I have to point out that Voidbinding is definitely not what is happening when Listeners bond with Voidspren, or their use of the powers this granted to them. This is implied by the fact we have seen that happen and the following WoB says that we haven't seen Voidbinding: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1152#71

Other than that, the OP is interesting, and I'm not sure it can be disproved as yet... But I believe more than five forms of power (other than Stormfather) are listed in the various Listener song snippets we have, which would indicate more than 16 Spren types capable of granting that level of power. (Having said that, I can only remember Nightform, Smokeform and Decayform off the top of my head...)

I would say the fact the surges the orders possess form an unbroken circle is reasonable evidence that there are only 10 surges.

8 minutes ago, Full Metal Rithmatist said:

I would say the fact the surges the orders possess form an unbroken circle is reasonable evidence that there are only 10 surges.

That is very good evidence for there being only 10 orders of Radiants with, collectively, the power to manipulate to only 10 Surges.

However, that doesn't mean there are necessarily only 10 Surges (each a model for a fundamental force or component of the world/Cosmere), just that that is the number that may be manipulated by humans through the Nahel Bond.

Edited by Krandacth

• 7 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic