Quick Fix Game 22: Ghosts in the Night

Wyrmhero

2 minutes ago, Wyrmhero said:

@Amanuensis That's very helpful, thank you. At present with you (and Ecthellion III) there are 20, otherwise there are 19. A bit less than expected, but not unmanageable.

No problem. But wait. Did I miss a player? :blink: I thought Ecth made 18... *combs thread again* yeah. Ecth makes 18, since Silverblade5 dropped out.

Just now, Amanuensis said:

No problem. But wait. Did I miss a player? :blink: I thought Ecth made 18... *combs thread again* yeah. Ecth makes 18, since Silverblade5 dropped out.

Then I made the mistake. Noted.

Just so everyone is aware, this game may not begin dead-on at 9 PM GMT, but be at most it will only be an hour late. I will post here when I am no longer accepting new players, and at that point, the game will have begun.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I'll be on spring break for the vast majority of this game, I expect, and so will sign up as Senja. This will likely be the last game that I play until summer, since I'll be GMing and/or busy with school and my recent track record of activity has been bad enough that I don't feel comfortable signing up for another until I know I won't go inactive again. >> 

3 hours ago, Arraenae said:

And thus Wyrm groans at the prospect at balancing two last-minute signups. :P

Nah, it's cool, I'd been warned about these two :P

Besides, I've learnt my lesson about generating Roles and teams before signups end >>.

Edit: The game is now afoot!

Edited by Wyrmhero

Day 1: Memories

Footsteps on the dusty floor alerted Wurum to the present of someone else within the room. He raised his head from his book, and couldn't help but scowl a tad at the person who had appeared before him. “What do you want?”

“Is that any way to greet a friend?” Khas asked, giving him a small smile. “We are friends still, aren't we?”

“Hm,” Wurum grunted. “Aren't you meant to be hiding as well?”

“Well, if we're both meant to be hiding, then we can just hide out in the same bolthole, can't we?” Khas said, turning to the shelves and picking up a few of the trinkets laid on them – A pair of metal bracelets, a dictionary, a hat, an earring – and examining them one by one as if remembering something. He came to the end of the shelf, and then noticed what was on the floor next to the shelving. “A mirror?” he asked, looking to Wurum curiously. “Can't think there's much use for a full-length mirror down here.”

“Just because I'm hiding doesn't mean I can't have a certain amount of pride,” Wurum responded, leaning back in his chair and sighing. Khas was such a headache. “Besides, gives me a chance to practice my disguises.”

“I suppose,” Khas laughed, picking up the tricorne hat from the shelf. A somewhat unique design, but it had a certain flair to it. “Threnody?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Maybe,” Wurum hedged, unable to remember. He couldn't honestly place the style these days; he felt older than he was, the double-life was starting to catch up with him. His visits to other worlds seemed like a lifetime ago. Certainly there were very few who he could discuss them with. And without that discussion, the memories faded.

“Well, it goes nicely with the waistcoat. Scadrial does have some rather interesting fashion these days.” Khas looked at him. “I always feel people underestimate hats. Only really met one guy who understood them. Would you mind?”

“What's mine is yours,” Wurum said with a dismissive wave of the hand. If he said no, Khas would probably take it anyway.

“That's what I like about visiting you, you're such a generous guy.” Khas placed it on his head and cut a pose before the mirror. “How do I look?”

“Flamboyant and annoying,” Wurum said, stifling an irritated sigh.

“Then the image is complete!” Khas grinned, pulling the chair opposite Wurum from under the table and sitting down. He looked at the cover of the book Wurum was reading. “The Way of Kings?” he asked. “Seems like a pretty heavy book. I thought I was the one who preferred philosophical ramblings? Not to mention you'd get strung up as a heretic if anyone found you reading.”

“If anyone else finds me here, then I have bigger problems than whether reading is a proper pursuit for an Alethi male,” Wurum said, placing a bookmark on his page and closing the tome. “I decided to read it, as Highprince Dalinar seems to think it's a very important book. I feel that we should know what one of the most powerful man in the world thinks.”

“Hm, that's a good point,” Khas nodded. “Have you got any decent food?”

“This is a safehouse,” Wurum pointed out. “There's soulcast food, with some spices to make it something close to edible. There's wine, at least. That's pretty decent.” He poured himself another glass and then gestured to a shelf where there were more glasses. Khas took one eagerly and placed it on the table, and Wurum filled it up as requested. “What do you want, anyway? You don't just come out of hiding to steal my hat, my food and my wine, and to question my reading material. What do you want?”

Khas held the wine glass up to the candlelight before replying. He turned the glass this way and that, frowning a little at the fingerprints that had been left on it by previous users. The inside of the glass was clean, at least.

“Khas?” Wurum prompted.

“Ah, yes,” Khas smiled a little apologetically. “Sorry. I was just wondering, do you remember what happened a few years back?”

“I hope you're going to be specific,” Wurum said, “and not expect me to remember the entire last few years.”

“The events that occurred at Notemos,” Khas clarified. “You know, the whole Sons of Honour thing?”

Wurum's face paled. “It was a massacre.”

“Well, not quite,” Khas corrected. “It wasn't as though the entire town was destroyed. Damnation, we barely had a dozen agents in the area, if that. But yes, it did do a lot of damage to our control of that part of the world. And the aftershock certainly got a lot of others killed. But I'm curious, and since you were the one who sent the orders for the purge... What do you remember about it?”

Wurum sighed and drained his glass again, pouring himself another immediately. He took a few breaths to collect his thoughts, felt his heart beat within his chest as the memories stirred.

“The order came down from above that our agents in Notemos had been infiltrated,” he began, closing his eyes to aid his attempts to visualise events, “and that we were remove the infiltrators, no matter what the cost...”

Day 1 has begun! It will end on Thursday 16th at 10 PM GMT. Remember to work with your other half above all else.

Remember, you can only post if you are a Day Turn player, and if you forget, you can always check your Role PM or check the list below or in the rules post at the start of the game. There are 11 'players' in the game.

Night Turn players, you will be informed during the Night Turn whether PMs are open or not.

Notemos Town Hall Clock

gra_1489701600.png

Player List

Day

1. Hemalurgic_Headshot (Harvey)
  2. Magestar (Enoemos)
  3. Elenion (Brandir Sebarial)
  4. DroughtBringer (Groot)
  5. Sart (Sart)
  6. TheMightyLopen (Revali)
  7. _Stick_ (Stick)
  8. Bartimaeus (Bart)
  9. Jondesu (Thorot)
  10. Arinian (Arvian)
  11. Drake Marshall (Mestow)

Night

1. Straw (Dave Davenport)
  2. STINK (Odd Man)
  3. Manukos (Whiler)
  4. Ecthelion III (Amnar the Watcher)
  5. Arraenae (Neiha Solam)
  6. Elbereth (Senja)
  7. Amanuensis (The Soulcaster)
  8. OrlokTsubodai (Locke Tekiel)
  9. Figberts (Hak)
  10. phattemer (Seixa)
  11. Randuir (Battadin)
Edited by Alvron

Warning: The following song contains strong language. I'm not trying to violate the etiquette rules, so please, listen at your own discretion. Having said that...

Sart once again began singing. This was going to get ugly quickly, so he had to make the first move. That man, Bart, had an extremely similar name to him. Perhaps that scoundrel was trying to impersonate him! As if anyone could imitate his perfect voice. (Note: Sart's voice may or may not sound worse than the dying scream of a diseased chull)

<illusion set and activated>

HARVEY walked through the midday crowds on the main road. Its weather forecast predicted clear skies for today, with a 30% chance of rain that night. Its mission was unclear, but possible solutions had already been calculated for 42% of all possible outcomes, with the data available. However, it would need the next software update to scan and filter minds for interrogation. It would be picked up for maintenance next month.

So many humans. Does that one know he has intestinal parasites? Or that female, who is pregnant? The medical advances of this world are behind to say the least. HARVEY continued to walk, maintaining the appearance of an ordinary human male.

11 duos, eh?

Let's get some discussion going: how many elims do you think there are? Three world make it 3 to 8 from the start, which no esta bueno.  Two would make it 2 to 9, which seems a little more likely in my opinion. If I were balancing this game, I'd go 2 pairs of elims, but make sure that none of them are likely to go inactive.

Thoughts?

Spoiler

Sart once again began singing. This was going to get ugly quickly, so he had to make the first move. That man, Bart, had an extremely similar name to him. Perhaps that scoundrel was trying to impersonate him! As if anyone could imitate his perfect voice. (Note: Sart's voice may or may not sound worse than the dying scream of a diseased chull)

Who knows maybe he just likes having a shorter name than Bartimaues. But he's is tone deaf so Sart has got that going for him.

Day shift, then! This'll be interesting.

HARVEY, was the best conversation you've had over 40 million years ago with a coffee machine by any chance?

Also, Elenion... I agree that balance wise, 2 elim pairs makes the most sense.

The only thing I wonder about that is that the intro had that remark about "barely a dozen agents." I'm guessing that has to be exaggerated/inaccurate, 'cuz if we only get 7 or 8 pairs, we're screwed.

Oh! Also. Everyone weigh in about something nice and early in this game. I know that doing so kinda exposes you to being accused on nonsensical grounds, but it also gives us information. If you don't give us anything to think about that's not good. I'm considering dedicating my vote to the contribution crusade for C1.

Edited by Drake Marshall

• Alvron locked this topic
6 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Day shift, then! This'll be interesting.

HARVEY, was the best conversation you've had over 40 million years ago with a coffee machine by any chance?

Also, Elenion... I agree that balance wise, 2 elim pairs makes the most sense.

The only thing I wonder about that is that the intro had that remark about "barely a dozen agents." I'm guessing that has to be exaggerated/inaccurate, 'cuz if we only get 7 or 8 pairs, we're screwed.

Oh! Also. Everyone weigh in about something nice and early in this game. I know that doing so kinda exposes you to being accused on nonsensical grounds, but it also gives us information. If you don't give us anything to think about that's not good. I'm considering dedicating my vote to the contribution crusade for C1.

I'm not sure how many pairs of elims I think there are. 2 sounds right at first, based on normal balancing percentages, but looking over the rules, both players in a pair die simultaneously(they are the same person after all :P) and I'm not sure if the elims have a kill unless they have an Assassin, because the rules don't mention a Night elim kill. So, I think 3 pairs is possible, if they don't have a kill. Otherwise, I imagine it is 2 pairs. Wyrm, do the elims have a group kill each Night?

I think that refers to the fact that there's actually only 11 "players" because each pair of players are the same person, just with different identities based on Day/Night.

Doing the contribution crusade on D1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And especially not this game. It's for weeding out inactives. Can you really call someone "inactive" if they haven't posted at the very beginning of the game? I think it's best to either wait until C2 to lynch an inactive, or at the very end of C1 if we don't have a good lynch target. But in this game, I think it's possible we won't ever have to lynch an inactive, because the pairing system allows another player to take over for their inactive teammate. Also, if we lynched an inactive, we'd be killing 2 players. 1 player who wasn't active D1 and their Night half who didn't even get a chance to play(well, if we have a lynch, that'll happen regardless, but it still doesn't seem right to me). Anyways, I'm hoping we never have to lynch an inactive, since that would mean both players in a pair went inactive, and it really does waste a valuable Turn to lynch inactives. So I advise that if someone does go inactive, we wait for a bit to see if their other half gets control, so we're not killing a potential active villager while at the same time wasting a Cycle by not discussing active players.

On that note, the only 2 players who have said anything discussion wise are Len and Drake. I don't really have any strong feelings about the posts. They seem like pretty typical D1 posts to me - not very informative. :P While I always enjoy trying to guess elim numbers/roles, there's not much point to it when we know so little, so I'd prefer focusing on different things. Like calling out any lurkers(not inactives), proposing plans, and going over the active players posts(hard to do until we've got some actual content I know).

I was planning on going over the rules and giving my thoughts on them, but instead I defeated the final boss of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. :lol: Which is amazing, btw.

Another thing I was thinking about is revealing your Night half. My opinion right now is wait and think things through completely, and also that keeping your Night half a secret should give you protection from the elims if they do have a Night kill. Anyways, that's it from me for tonight.

So, some clarifications, some of which are prompted and some of which are not:

The Sons of Honour are standard Eliminators. One group of two (as there are no single players on their own) can send in the order to make a kill each Night Turn, as normal. I will only accept the first order sent in this way, unless it is retracted later.

If I have called you a Ghostblood or Son of Honour in your PM and not said that you are another Role, then you are Roleless.

The Shadow will make scans come up as Ghostblood/Roleless/No partner when scanned by the three scanning Roles.

Edited by Wyrmhero