Awakening Range

Faceless Mist-Wraith

From the copper mind:

The Ninth Heightening also grants Audible Command, the ability to Awaken objects that they are not physically touching, but that are within the sound of their voice

What are the limits of this power? Is this strictly limited only to a person's natural range, or can it be enhanced? Could the God King resurrect an entire army just by using a very big megaphone?

At what point does this stop being "the sound of their voice" i.e does it ignore artificially generated audio? If technology were to progress, and the God King installed a PA system in his castle, would this allow him to Awaken anything in any room?

Continuing on this train of thought, could the God King Awaken through a phone?

I imagine that it requires the actual voice, or a very high quality sound system. Meaning I also believe that it is within the user's natural range(which could be enhanced by shouting, but...)

The main thing about this magic system is that those limitations are more or less irrelevant for a fair amount of time. The big thing with Awakening is your visualization. Your mental image of a command makes all the difference, so if you cannot see the items you are awakening, there may be.. complications due to a lack of visualizing the item doing the action.

Say he could awaken anything in the castle via the PA system, it wouldn't serve much purpose since he doesn't specifically remember what is in half of those rooms. He may awaken something and then revisualize a new command later, but picturing the same item, and then it wouldn't stick. Not to mention the travel time of the breath to the object, etc...

Basically, there are too many uncertainties or mental capacity thresholds that need to be reached for this idea to be proved/disproved. But I like the idea, as it gives a different level of depth to the future of the world(something we've only really considered for Scadrial and possibly Sel) Now I wonder if a Robot could awaken if you gave it enough Breath...

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Say he could awaken anything in the castle via the PA system, it wouldn't serve much purpose since he doesn't specifically remember what is in half of those rooms. He may awaken something and then revisualize a new command later, but picturing the same item, and then it wouldn't stick. Not to mention the travel time of the breath to the object, etc...

So an Awakener of the 9th Heightening who also was a Copper Ferring could be incredibly powerful, right?

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

So an Awakener of the 9th Heightening who also was a Copper Ferring could be incredibly powerful, right?

For the PA system idea, absolutely. Not only remembering what is in the rooms so you can visualize them, but to keep track of what is already awakened. Not exactly sure if you can store the mental image of your commands, but you can store the specific wordings of your commands.

The PA system could also work if you have CCTV as well. That would you could see everything in the room. 

Just imagine the God King in some sort of command bunker with a bank of monitors and a microphone, ready to start awakening things.

Another question would be the range of mental awakening, whether it requires contact as well. 

18 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

The PA system could also work if you have CCTV as well. That would you could see everything in the room. 

Just imagine the God King in some sort of command bunker with a bank of monitors and a microphone, ready to start awakening things.

Another question would be the range of mental awakening, whether it requires contact as well. 

Hadn't even considered that you could essentially videochat with the room to see what you are awakening. That's clever. Now we just have to ask about Breath and travel time..

I will say that Vasher is the only mention of Mental Commands I can find so we have no idea on how it works. I would assume it requires vision of the target, but that's covered via CCTV

If I had to guess, I would say that Mental Commands are entirely made up of the mental image component of Awakening. While vision of target would likely help, if an Awakener had a good  enough mental visualization, it may be possible that they would not require visual confirmation, at least with objects they are familiar with.

• Chaos locked this topic