2017-03-24/25: Germany - Leipzig Book Fair [Minor Cosmere Spoilers]

Pattern

2 minutes ago, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

Oh thanks, it's been a few months to be honest. Probably got that jumbled up in my brain. Explains where the part with Nohadon came from :) (I thought it was the Sunmakers Blade). 

I just looked it up though, Oathbringer is Sunmaker's old Blade. No mention of Kalanor's Blade's origin or Nohadon.

Hang on, I mixed up both characters :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: I'll edit my post. My brain is lazy today. You are right, I sort of mixed both characters: old kings who did famous stuff, it was a honest mistake -_- So I guess your theory still holds. 

Just now, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

Well, it's not as much as a theory as wild speculation :) And getting mixed up is easy, way too many teensy weensy details to remember :)

Yeah well you might very well right... Elhokar's Blade does have a different appearance and it might have a slightly different history, though it may bear no significance to its future. For instance, I doubt Oathbringer is important to the future of SA except when it comes to whom will find it first.

I fully agree with you, but that's what makes speculating about such tiny details fun. They might not play an important part in the overall story, but rather give feeling and atmosphere to it. Without all of that, the books and their worlds  wouldn't seem so real. And if they don't get answered eventually... Well, either Brandon has something in his notes that didn't fit into his oh-so-short books (no complaint here though), or one can have his one headcanon :)

Just now, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

I fully agree with you, but that's what makes speculating about such tiny details fun. They might not play an important part in the overall story, but rather give feeling and atmosphere to it. Without all of that, the books and their worlds  wouldn't seem so real. And if they don't get answered eventually... Well, either Brandon has something in his notes that didn't fit into his oh-so-short books (no complaint here though), or one can have his one headcanon :)

Oh Brandon definitely has it all planned within the details. This is what I love about him, nothing comes out of nowhere. I do think the various Shardblades background is interesting to get because it makes them feel more alive which makes their "death" more tragic.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:05 AM, Fluffy said:

As i got my autograms, he told me, that dragonsteel will be rewritten/released before the third timeline of mistborn will come out, and that yolen will be, additionally to the dragonstell books, mentioned/of some importance in some other books.

You are sure about this? Dragonsteel before Era 3? Because this seems unlikely. 

Hey guys! I'm new here, so hi to everyone.

I managed to attend all 4 events in Leipzig. This was my first time meeting Brandon, and I had a lot of fun. It was also great meeting members from the 17th Shard forums. They encouraged me to finally stop lurking and make an account here.

I guess some of you guys are doing transcriptions here. I'm looking forward to that. I'll post my experiences on Reddit in a few days.

Q: What with the deaths of Denth, Shashara and Arsteel - I can't see them giving their Divine Breath away. Isn't this the reason why they return?

A:Yes. Yes. RAFO. (excellent question)

Can someone explain what exactly is meant by the above question?  Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but what do those 3 dying have to do with giving up their Divine Breath?  Maybe I'm misremembering Warbreaker, but the 5 scholars are all Returned, and Returned are chosen (?) by Endowment right after someone dies and given a Divine Breath.  What is being asked?     

14 minutes ago, john203 said:

FWIW, my interpretation of ^^ was "why would Endowment return denth and others when they would be unlikely/unwilling to give up their divine breaths?"

Same.

I have to wonder though, do we know that the reason the Returned come back to life is to give up their Breath? Could it be that they Return for a reason (they want to do something about the visions of the future they see), but that reasons doesn't necessarily have to include them giving up their Breath?

2 hours ago, Argent said:

@She Who Cannot Be Named, the origin of Oathbringer are, technically, a spoiler so you should at least mark them so in one of your recent replies. 

Oh sorry, of course you're right. It's in spoiler tags now, but I cannot do anything about the quoted remark. Is the rest of the discussion acceptable?

I think that was one of @hypatia's questions, maybe she can clarify.

Edited by She Who Cannot Be Named

2 minutes ago, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

Oh sorry, of course you're right. It's in spoiler tags now, but I cannot do anything about the quoted remark. Is the rest of the discussion acceptable?

Hard to tell. It doesn't seem overtly spoilery though, and it's not a big spoiler to begin with, so you'll probably not hang for this.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

Same.

I have to wonder though, do we know that the reason the Returned come back to life is to give up their Breath? Could it be that they Return for a reason (they want to do something about the visions of the future they see), but that reasons doesn't necessarily have to include them giving up their Breath?

Well, even if we were not sure before, Brandon just answered "yes" :P

But the fact that the Returned have a mission does not mean they always succeed in it. Returned in Idris live for just one week, right. 

While it is true Idranian Returned only live a week, it is also possible that they returned to accomplish a task within that one week.  We can't assume that they failed because they gave up their breath.  It is possible that the effect they were to accomplish came from the week's worth of interactions they had before expiring.  Another good example of this is Blushweaver.  

Spoiler

What if she returned knowing she would push Lightsong to save the Susebron.  She gave no breath from that.  But if she had never Returned, Lightsong would not have been there when he was needed.  Sucks that she was there to be the damsel though.  There is also the Returned who mentored Lightsong, who gave her breath to cure a sick person.  Arguably that person was not important.  But the lessonit taught Lightsong about how to be a god was important down the line.

I think the only thing we can assume is that Endowment has really, really good future sight.  Sometimes her returned are there to give a breath and do something spectacular.  Other returned may only be there to step on a butterfly to make sure it doesn't cause a hurricane by flapping its wings.

So theoretically, Denth, Arsteel and Sharshara Returned knowing they would become who they became and die how they died, but the lives they lived would have a latter arriving positive effect on the Cosmere as dictated by Endowment.

I really don't think that we can categorically say a Returned who dies without bestowing their breath failed to accomplish their purpose in Returning.  Unless they were killed by a Worldhopper with no Connection to Nalthis or Endowment, then you have some random chance added to the system.

6 hours ago, HonorStillLives said:

Hey guys! I'm new here, so hi to everyone.

I managed to attend all 4 events in Leipzig. This was my first time meeting Brandon, and I had a lot of fun. It was also great meeting members from the 17th Shard forums. They encouraged me to finally stop lurking and make an account here.

Welcome to the forum! (We actually tried out a new Command to control people: "Join the forum!")

6 hours ago, HonorStillLives said:

I guess some of you guys are doing transcriptions here. I'm looking forward to that. I'll post my experiences on Reddit in a few days.

Please make sure to post a link here :)

Btw: I don't know if anyone else was at the first signing on Friday afternoon, but if were there and got audio record or at rembember some of the questions which may have been asked there, we'd love if you shared your knowledge.

Considering some slipped minor spoilers: I'll edit the Topic Title to indicate that some spoilers are in here. For me, spoilers are to be expected in a thread with the purpose to collect new WoBs. Putting everything in spoiler tags would become quite clumsy (as it got in the collection of WoB in the OP).

Considering the release of Dragonsteel:

Yeah... My plan is right now to finish Stormlight, then do Dragonsteel, then do the last Mistborns.
     So it's kind of far away.

This one is a bit ambiguous: Does "the last Mistborns" mean the last books or the last trilogies? I would guess it's era 4 since Dragonsteel was supposed to be released late.

Edited by Pattern

4 hours ago, Pattern said:

Considering the release of Dragonsteel:

This one is a bit ambiguous: Does "the last Mistborns" mean the last books or the last trilogies? I would guess it's era 4 since Dragonsteel was supposed to be released late.

I'm pretty sure he ment the space-faring triology. He only called it the last Mistborns. Definatley plural. After that he pondered about the possibility of Yolen maybe being involved later on.

On 26/03/2017 at 0:56 PM, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

He read exactly one page from Oathbringer.

The scents of horses reminded Adolin of his youth, sweat and manure and hay. Good scents, real scents. He's spent many of these days before he was fully a man on campaign with his father during border skirmishes in Jah Keved.

Adolin had been afraif of the animals back then, though he never admitted it. They were so much faster, so much more intelligent than (Shells?). So alien. Creatures all covered in hair, which made him shiver to touch, with big, glassy eyes.

This had'nt been real horses. For all their pedigree breeding, the horses they (brought) on campaign have just been regular Shin Thoroughbreds.

Expansive, yes, but by definition therefore not priceless.

Not like the creature before him now.

Brandon: "Not going on here, too many spoilers." That was exactly one page, written in Krakau shortly before he came to Germany.

I'm gonna guess that Adolin is either remembering when he first got his Ryshadium, or is trying to get another of them to accept him, perhaps at the insistence of Dalinar or someone else. Either way, it's going to be an interesting part to read! ^_^

7 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

I'm gonna guess that Adolin is either remembering when he first got his Ryshadium, or is trying to get another of them to accept him, perhaps at the insistence of Dalinar or someone else. Either way, it's going to be an interesting part to read! ^_^

The verb tense used indicate this event is happening in real-time within Adolin's mind, so it definitely isn't a memory unless there was a mistake within the transcription. Also, people who were there did tell me it was a flashback, so I am unsure how Brandon presented it to them, but it seems to be the word going on among those who heard it.

Not like the creature before him now.

It indicates he is seeing the Rhysadium now, not that he is remembering seeing it. Also, present day Adolin wouldn't refer to a Rhysadium as a creature nor would he felt reassured, upon meeting one, it smells like regular horses which he, despite spending his boyhood being secretly afraid of, had eventually become familiar with. Present day Adolin probably wouldn't muse over how hairy, peculiar with their glassy eyes, and downright discomforting horses are, though it was fun to find out he actually doesn't like them.

Petting horses make him shiver. I didn't expect that one, so I am sure the rest of it will be interesting.

2 hours ago, maxal said:

The verb tense used indicate this event is happening in real-time within Adolin's mind, so it definitely isn't a memory unless there was a mistake within the transcription.

Shallan's flashback chapters often used present tense in WoR. No reason the same thing could not be happening here.

14 minutes ago, 8bitBob said:

Shallan's flashback chapters often used present tense in WoR. No reason the same thing could not be happening here.

That's why I am saying it is a flashback ;) He is seeing the "creature", now which means the Adolin narrating the story is the Adolin of that day, not present day Adolin remembering an event. If he were remembering, it wouldn't have been written this way, I think. Hence, it most definitely is a flashback.

6 hours ago, maxal said:

That's why I am saying it is a flashback ;) He is seeing the "creature", now which means the Adolin narrating the story is the Adolin of that day, not present day Adolin remembering an event. If he were remembering, it wouldn't have been written this way, I think. Hence, it most definitely is a flashback.

Ah, yup, that was my mistake, I meant to say it was a flashback, not just Adolin's musing ^_^ Whoopsie