2017-03-24/25: Germany - Leipzig Book Fair [Minor Cosmere Spoilers]

Pattern

25 minutes ago, mr42 said:

Since I didn't want to sleep right now, I already did the transcription of the Q&A and signing of this afternoon. There were a lot of questions about writing and general stuff, we already know about, but here is the rest. There are a few things I didn't totally understand, but nothing so important (wrote what I understood or left three dots in [ ] )

@She Who Cannot Be Named will do the transcriptions of the event earlier today and yesterday evening.

Note: At the end of his answer to the question about unsealed metalminds, he said "unkeyed" but I think he actually meant "unsealed". He was just talking fast and you know...^^

This is a storming beautiful set of WoBs. Confirms things I've thought for awhile.

First off, a hearty thanks for those WoB. Some really good stuff in there. I'd give you more rep if I could.

2 hours ago, mr42 said:

Note: At the end of his answer to the question about unsealed metalminds, he said "unkeyed" but I think he actually meant "unsealed". He was just talking fast and you know...

Question for people in general here: has Brandon ever used "unsealed" instead of "unkeyed"? I was under the impression that this was a fan distinction.

17 minutes ago, 8bitBob said:

Question for people in general here: has Brandon ever used "unsealed" instead of "unkeyed"? I was under the impression that this was a fan distinction.

I had exactly the same thought when I listened to the audio record. But yes, he actually used this term

15 hours ago, maxal said:

Does anybody have an idea what he meant by this? What did he mean by "something is going on with Sunraiser"? Did he mean something is going on because it has glyphs on it or something is going on because it might get revived? Did he say which Shardblades we would be getting back story for? Or did he imply anything? 

I am a time zone dummy, so I am unsure if it is too late to ask already :ph34r:, but if someone is going to the signing today, I'd love if someone were to ask if Adolin's Blade is one of those Blades we will get the backstory for?

I'm thinking it's because it has ALL of the Orders' glyphs on it, which is being implied to be ... distinctive.  Off the top of my head, we haven't seen any other Shardblades with that characteristic.

10 hours ago, 8bitBob said:

First off, a hearty thanks for those WoB. Some really good stuff in there. I'd give you more rep if I could.

The "Unsealing metalmind" is a Brandon term, one of us asked him a canon term for the Coppermind and He gave us that ;-)

Edited by Yata

18 minutes ago, Ozyara said:

I have a recording of the one page he read  from oathbringer not sure if he read something on Saturday because I was late to the first event and there was no reading during the second. Will transcrib it later (currently working)

I was there too. Sadly i haven't had the idea to record it. He wrote the page (exactly one page) "two days ago", so around wednesday. It was about hairy animals (horses) and how bizzare they seemed for the protagonist. I haven't understand the beginning completly, but my brother said it was dalinar or adolin and a flashback to the youth of one of them. 

He read exactly one page from Oathbringer.

The scents of horses reminded Adolin of his youth, sweat and manure and hay. Good scents, real scents. He'd spent many of these days before he was fully a man on campaign with his father during border skirmishes in Jah Keved.

Adolin had been afraif of the animals back then, though he never admitted it. They were so much faster, so much more intelligent than (Shells?). So alien. Creatures all covered in hair, which made him shiver to touch, with big, glassy eyes.

Those had'nt been even real horses. For all their pedigree breeding, the horses they (brought) on campaign they'd just been regular Shin Thoroughbreds.

Expansive, yes, but by definition therefore not priceless.

Not like the creature before him now.

Brandon: "Not going on here, too many spoilers." That was exactly one page, written in Krakau shortly before he came to Germany.

Edited by She Who Cannot Be Named
fixed some typos and checked come verbs again

4 minutes ago, hypatia said:

I have also the reading from Friday and we are currently working on it.

He told us it was something he has written on his way from Warsaw to Leipzig.

Are you covering all the tidbits he was asked on the panel too? If yes, then I'll continue transcribing the questions from the answer sessions. I unfortunatly don't have a PC right now, so I'll have to transfer it later from my handwritten notes.

(And sorry for the double post^^)

This page was about the only thing he said cosmere related on friday evening (except the questions by other fans, but i haven't heard them), but he told some funny stories: how he got the idea for mistborn while reading harry potter and about the "petering"

As i got my autograms, he told me, that dragonsteel will be rewritten/released before the third timeline of mistborn will come out, and that yolen will be, additionally to the dragonstell books, mentioned/of some importance in some other books.

Saturday i asked him weather mistborn:birthright will be turned into a book, and his answer was, that he'll wait some time, because maybe there will be some other companys trying to make a game around it, so it will take some time till we'll get the story.

1 hour ago, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

He read exactly one page from Oathbringer.

The scents of horses reminded Adolin of his youth, sweat and manure and hay. Good scents, real scents. He's spent many of these days before he was fully a man on campaign with his father during border skirmishes in Jah Keved.

Adolin had been afraif of the animals back then, though he never admitted it. They were so much faster, so much more intelligent than (Shells?). So alien. Creatures all covered in hair, which made him shiver to touch, with big, glassy eyes.

This had'nt been real horses. For all their pedigree breeding, the horses they (brought) on campaign have just been regular Shin Thoroughbreds.

Expansive, yes, but by definition therefore not priceless.

Not like the creature before him now.

Brandon: "Not going on here, too many spoilers." That was exactly one page, written in Krakau shortly before he came to Germany.

I am truly ecstatic over this, even if very short, over what it means :) I take it, it isn't part of the book.... if he just wrote it... or is it part of the "stuff" he'll modify after the beta read? Is it something which came out of the beta read? Or did he just felt he needed to re-work part of the book by adding some stuff? 

Many thanks to @She Who Cannot Be Named for having shared the good news with me :)

1 hour ago, Fluffy said:

Saturday i asked him weather mistborn:birthright will be turned into a book, and his answer was, that he'll wait some time, because maybe there will be some other companys trying to make a game around it, so it will take some time till we'll get the story.

Oh, right. That was a question I totally forgot about. While transcribing I wanted to focus on the questions about his books, but this one was also interesting. 

If you are interested in the other questions (general and writing questions) just send me a pm and I'll send you the records, including the event on Saturday morning at AusbildBar by Gutenberg School Leipzig and the Piper publishing company (they organized it and asked me to mention them here, so thanks to them for making this happen :D).

@maxal: It was titeled as a peek into Oathbringer, and recently written. So my guess would be that it's something that will be added in the fourth draft. Maybe it is part of the interludes, or some added/fleshed out part after the beta reads. And thankfully longer than just one page ^^

Anyway, more Adolin in November, yay :D

58 minutes ago, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

@maxal: It was titeled as a peek into Oathbringer, and recently written. So my guess would be that it's something that will be added in the fourth draft. Maybe it is part of the interludes, or some added/fleshed out part after the beta reads. And thankfully longer than just one page ^^

Anyway, more Adolin in November, yay :D

One of the things which came out of the WoR beta read was the Adolin/Sureblood relationship wasn't fleshed out enough for Sureblood's death to have as much impact as intended to. Hence, Brandon added a few scenes to make the death more powerful and heart-breaking. If he is starting to add flashback scenes for Adolin, especially one involving Sureblood, then I would wager it means beta readers thought it was missing. Probably because Sureblood dying is having an impact on present day Adolin and beta readers felt we lacked context, hence the new scene.

One can also wonder why the rest of the scene contains spoilers... ah and young Adolin, Adolin who doesn't like odd/abnormal/new things except this Rhysadium... 

Either way, I am super glad about it. Brandon being willing to write on Adolin related flashbacks implies a great deal lot of stuff, especially when he does it for an already very large book he said he might need to trim down... I mean... He is adding stuff to it :o Though, I am not going to complain about that ;)

Edited by maxal

Forgot the quotation box and destroyed the formatting a bit. Ooops.

@maxal It's been a pleasure. I'll probably finish the second signing tomorrow (my timezone^^). I'm still not entirely convinced that it's just a normal Sharblade, which makes it exceptional and special on its own as they are all that. Those glyphs are really bothering me, but I don't have any justified ideas just yet. An unbased speculation could contain that the sword is either connected to one of the founders or first Radiants as an organisation as we know them from the legends, or (just a random idea) that it could be Nohadon's sword, if he actually was a Surgebinder. Not sure if he even was one, and as I said just wild theorising into the blue :) 

31 minutes ago, She Who Cannot Be Named said:

@maxal It's been a pleasure. I'll probably finish the second signing tomorrow (my timezone^^). I'm still not entirely convinced that it's just a normal Sharblade, which makes it exceptional and special on its own as they are all that. Those glyphs are really bothering me, but I don't have any justified ideas just yet. An unbased speculation could contain that the sword is either connected to one of the founders or first Radiants as an organisation as we know them from the legends, or (just a random idea) that it could be Nohadon's sword, if he actually was a Surgebinder. Not sure if he even was one, and as I said just wild theorising into the blue :) 

Have you read The Thrill? Because some of your speculations get answered in it.

Spoilers for The Thrill on Shardblades, do not read if you do not want those spoilers.

Spoiler

Nohadon's The Sunmaker's Shardblade was Oathbringer. We see how Dalinar won it, quite... brutal, nothing to be proud of. We also see Dalinar win Elhokar's Blade/Plate, but I do not recall anything out of the ordinary about those events. What was special is how he came to give up this new set of Shards to Elhokar... He did it to absolve his guilt towards having nearly killed his brother shortly after winning those Shards which does settle Elhokar as Dalinar's representation of his guilt towards Gavilar. In other words, each time he feels bad about Gavilar, he dotes on Elhokar. We also see Tanalar win Adolin's Shardblade, well, we don't see it, but it is mentioned. 

My thoughts about Elhokar's Shardblade is perhaps it is a Honorblade? I haven't kept track of all of them, but I wondered if it was possible for one to have been lost for a very long time long enough the Shins aren't even referring to it anymore. It might also be, if you have no idea the Honorblade offers you surges, you just never surgebinde, you ever tap into this power (arguably I have no idea how it works for Honorblades, but it may not be instinctive and unconscious as with live Blades), but perhaps, just perhaps it is how Elhokar broke his Plate's gems back in WoK. Agree, it is horribly tenuous and I am sure other more inclined towards things of magic have already come up with the right solution, but that's frankly about all I can think of which could make it "more special" than any other Blades.

Edited by maxal

Spoiler

Oh thanks, it's been a few months to be honest. Probably got that jumbled up in my brain. Explains where the part with Nohadon came from :) (I thought it was the Sunmakers Blade). Btw, that was one of the questions I asked Brandon.

I just looked it up though, Oathbringer is Sunmaker's old Blade. No mention of Kalanor's Blade's origin or Nohadon.

Spoilers for Unfettered II/SA 3

looked up unfettered II, spoiler tag