Children of Shards

Extesian

So this is barely a theory, more a call for theories with one mini-theory and other possibilities.

We know a Shardholder (Vessel) can have children.

PALADIN BREWER

Are Shard vessels able to have children?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes they are.

PALADIN BREWER

Even Sazed, with his body being a eunuch?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, though technically all of Scadrial are the children of Preservation and Ruin.

My main idea. Austre is the child of Endowment.

It's been proposed before that Austre, Nalthis' "God of colors" is Endowment. We know this is wrong.

BLAZE1616

You've revealed that the Shard Endowment is female, and in the book the Idrians refer to Austre as a male. Are they the same being?

BRANDON SANDERSON

*sly smile* No, they are not.

QUESTION

*eyes widen*

BRANDON SANDERSON

Who do you think Austre is?

QUESTION

Well, my best guess would then be some ancient Returned.

BRANDON SANDERSON

*smiles again* That's a good guess.

While there's almost no evidence for it, I could find no evidence against the idea that Austre was a child of Endowment. A little bit messianic/holy trinity style but explaining the reverence, knowledge and power he is presumed to have had.

I'd love to hear anything debunking it.

And just because the idea of Shardlings fascinates me, here are some very unformed ideas for other possibilities.

Honor and Cultivation: the Heralds

Autonomy: Trell

Preservation: Senna

Now I don't believe these ones (though it would be fascinating if that was the Heralds origin). But it's just something to get ideas flowing. As always I'm grateful for these ideas being mercilessly debunked :)

6 hours ago, Tsidqiyah said:

I have thought that Vo (the First Returned) was Austre ... and this makes me wonder if he could be both. 

Yeah I have this soap opera quasi messianic idea stuck in my head that Vo was the first Returned because he was Endowment's godly son, was killed and in desperation she used her power to restore his life not realizing (or being bound in nature) that he would die after a week without someone else's sacrifice of Breath. And that since then in some desire to honor his memory and such she does the same thing to others to let them do great acts. That is definitely not a theory though, just a fun and slightly ridiculous backstory. 

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

Yeah I have this soap opera quasi messianic idea stuck in my head that Vo was the first Returned because he was Endowment's godly son, was killed and in desperation she used her power to restore his life not realizing (or being bound in nature) that he would die after a week without someone else's sacrifice of Breath. And that since then in some desire to honor his memory and such she does the same thing to others to let them do great acts. That is definitely not a theory though, just a fun and slightly ridiculous backstory. 

Honestly, I don't even know how ridiculous that is. It might not be what Brandon is planning (in fact it probably isn't), but it's awesome nonetheless.

I've wondered about this since I read WOK where the Stormfather calls Kaladin "child of Tanavast, child of Honor, child of one long since departed". Now Kaladin can't literally be Tanavast's son, given that Tanavast's been dead for a really long time, but I wonder if he might be a distant descendant.

I always took that line to reference the fact that Honor created Humans on Roshar. Iirc Shards made humans on the planets they visited basing them on the humans of Yolen (I can't remember where I read this so if it's wrong please correct me).

1 hour ago, Matt Snow said:

I always took that line to reference the fact that Honor created Humans on Roshar. Iirc Shards made humans on the planets they visited basing them on the humans of Yolen (I can't remember where I read this so if it's wrong please correct me).

Personally, I doubt that Honor created the humans on Roshar. The usage of the title feels more symbolic and more with the intent of falling in line with Kaladin's beliefs, as Vorinism believes that the Almighty created humans, and the Stormfather, is in part, manipulated by people's cognitive impression of him.

Wait a second, I thought I read somewhere that Vasher was Austere and has been around much longer than the other Scholars. Is this not the case? 

Nvm, just did some research on Coppermind. 

Edited by KereDerek

• Chaos locked this topic