[New WoB] Origin of the word 'Adonalsium'

Oversleep

4 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Well, we long suspected it but it's nice to have confirmation.

Good to see. I think it also implicitly confirms that Hoid's ramble about shuffling the letters of words around did not mean Adonalsium is an intentional anagram for anything meaningful as -ium is a suffix indicating a metal so really just Adonalsium is a god of metal.

23 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Good to see. I think it also implicitly confirms that Hoid's ramble about shuffling the letters of words around did not mean Adonalsium is an intentional anagram for anything meaningful as -ium is a suffix indicating a metal so really just Adonalsium is a god of metal.

Or, it could be something entirely different. In Latin, -ium is one of the suffixes used to denote the genetive case, which can dictate possession. So Adonalsium could mean of God. What would the implications for that be?

1 minute ago, Jedal said:

So Adonalsium could mean of God. What would the implications for that be?

Well, given that "Adonalsium shattered because he was killed," perhaps the meaning [of god] has relation to a vessel's chosen/given name?

IMG_1900.JPG  image from the linked thread

I feel like andolnasium is the god beyond power of creation. Given Brandon's religious background and the fact that we know the beyond is essentially his way of having a religious afterlife that isn't explored or story heavy, it makes sense that perhaps Adonalsium is just the god beyond's power.

Here's a theory...

What if the God Beyond created the Cosmere, filled it with Investiture (and mass and energy), and then peaced out. We know that Investiture clumps together and that it develops sentience over time, right? So if enough time passes, it makes sense that it some kind of powerful, sentient thing might naturally develop. Then some person comes along and takes that power, and now you've got Adonalsium.

Lots of time passes, so eventually we have the myth that Adonalsium himself created the Cosmere, while the God Beyond is mostly forgotten. Then Adonalsium gets shattered and the rest is history.

Edited by jofwu

21 hours ago, Jedal said:

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Do you mean something like Honor would be Honor of God?

I'm saying that the Shardic names are usually related to their intent. (Harmony is a little iffy, but oh well) Adonalsium's intent was "to create life(sentience?)" IIRC, which is on a different level from the intent of Honor, or the intent of Autonomy, etc.. Anyway, Honor's name would, at its most basic, mean something like "to be honorable", Autonomy'd have "to be autonomous"

Adonalsium himself would be likely define it as "to create" but perhaps over time, people's interpretation of the name changed it's common meaning to the point of the name literally meaning "of God."    There was something more to this idea, but I'm drawing a blank from being tired

58 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I'm saying that the Shardic names are usually related to their intent. (Harmony is a little iffy, but oh well) Adonalsium's intent was "to create life(sentience?)" IIRC, which is on a different level from the intent of Honor, or the intent of Autonomy, etc.. Anyway, Honor's name would, at its most basic, mean something like "to be honorable", Autonomy'd have "to be autonomous"

Adonalsium himself would be likely define it as "to create" but perhaps over time, people's interpretation of the name changed it's common meaning to the point of the name literally meaning "of God."    There was something more to this idea, but I'm drawing a blank from being tired

So people gradually began to tie the name of Adonalsium more and more closely with deific power?

This is a bit of a long shot theory but it could be that those responsible for the Shattering thought that Adonalsium was almost something of a heretic. Since the God Beyond is the one true god, they might have thought that killing a being who claimed to be a deity would prove their point.

Conversely, saying that Adonalsium is "of God" might say that he is created by the God Beyond. He is the closest link to the God Beyond in the Cosmere. I'm kinda wasted right now so it's hard to think.

Edited by Jedal

So people gradually began to tie the name of Adonalsium more and more closely with deific power?

I meant.. they, um.. Somewhat? I'm sure that did happen, with or without there being any real value to the name beforehand. The idea made more sense the other day when I didn't have to think too deeply into it. Basically, it depended on how the Shards got their names. Whether it was from prior knowledge and understanding when they Shattered him, or if the power itself basically told them(in a way) Because however they came upon that knowledge, Adonalsium should have been able to gain similar insight into the power he himself held.

If the Investiture is what told them what Shard they held, the same would hold for Big A, thus his name means something, and [of God] is as good an interpretation as any. But I considered that if they somehow learned which aspects he would be split into, then all the aspects combined would have to be something divisible into those. The logical thing would be a person(less specifically, a being's mind), as they have all these aspects and more. As a being, he could have any name, and since he was basically a God, the name literally became "God" or perhaps "He who creates" if they weren't feeling pretentious.

Since the God Beyond is the one true god

When did this happen? Or are you stemming ideas outwards from the "belief in a being that is not of the shards" WoB and running with it.

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, Oversleep said:

Well, we long suspected it but it's nice to have confirmation.

Honestly, this just makes me wonder what the in-universe rationale for Adonalsium's name is. Was it a name chosen by itself, or imposed upon it by someone else?

Might be RAFO bait though...

• Chaos locked this topic