The Importance of Being Sel

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

Not exactly. It's more of a Rosetta Stone for Selish Magic.

my point was that if hoid had free access to the dor or forging or any other selish magic would have implication on the whole of the cosmere. It would add immeasurably to his power as well as potentially any one else's. That has massive implications.

1 hour ago, Nathrangking said:

my point was that if hoid had free access to the dor or forging or any other selish magic would have implication on the whole of the cosmere. It would add immeasurably to his power as well as potentially any one else's. That has massive implications.

The ability to translate between Selish magics is only powerful on Sel, unless you can find a way to access the Dor on other worlds. The location dependence of the Dor means that unlike Allomancy providing a spiritual link allowing use anywhere in the Cosmere, the Dor needs to be present to be accessed. 

The Moon Scepter would be an invaluable asset on Sel. It would seem to require an additional hack elsewhere that would potentially make it unnecessary. 

• 1 month later...

No one seems to have mentioned this, but a minor point in Sel's favor might be in giving us a better understanding of how Odium shattered TWO other shards when Preservation could only take Ruin down with it. Understanding what happened with Aona and Skai and their shards could have Cosmere wide significance. Additionally, I'm starting to wonder if the demise of Ambition wasn't related in some way to this, as ambition is a highly valued characteristic in Shu-Dereth and we know that Ambition wandered off somewhere else after being mortally wounded in the Threnodite system.

On 9/1/2017 at 2:15 PM, Asrael said:

Additionally, I'm starting to wonder if the demise of Ambition wasn't related in some way to this, as ambition is a highly valued characteristic in Shu-Dereth and we know that Ambition wandered off somewhere else after being mortally wounded in the Threnodite system.

That's a very interesting connection.  Whenever I thought of how ambition is a favored trait in Shu-Dereth, I always attributed this to the association between Shu-Dereth and Dominion (although this has been debated before; the link is below).  Anyways, I'm not convinced that it's not just a coincidence.  Ambition most likely had no time to Invest in the world and the cultures there.  Although we still know so little about the Shattering of Shards and its repercussions for nearby worlds...  I'll keep this connection in mind when I reread Elantris.

Edited by ILuvHats

• Chaos locked this topic