soyperson

Breath of the Wild

92 posts in this topic

With less than a month now until the release of the new Zelda game, for which I am very hyped, I figure now's a good of a time as any to set up a discussion thread for it.

Anyone else looking forward to this new instalment?

Edited by bleeder

I'm relatively new to the Zelda fandom. Skyward Sword was my first game (I won't count playing Link in SSB), and it was absolutely phenomenal. I've played bits and pieces of others, but Skyward Sword's motion controls were just astounding, how well everything worked. And on top of that, the story and music, which I understand are par for the course for Zelda games, were really enjoyable. I've got Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time, but I haven't worked through them yet.

So, yeah, I've got Breath of the Wild on preorder. For Wii U; I'm not gonna shell out a couple hundred bucks for a single game, even if the difference in graphics quality is noticeable. I figure it'll manage to suck me in anyways, and Super Smash Bros and Nintendoland are still big hits at my house, so I'm not giving up on my Wii U yet.

We'll see how much time I have to actually play the game. I'm not in college anymore, I don't have Christmas break to devote to a 100%, no-walkthrough experience. (Which I didn't do for Skyward Sword, but regretted it enough that the next game I played, Lego City Undercover, I was successful in avoiding walkthroughs and got to 100%. So worth it, but it took a ton of time, and my last unlockable character was super frustrating 'cause I got hung up chasing a glitch instead of the actual solution.) I do a lot of volunteering in the summer, so I'll only have March and April to really go to town on Zelda.

I'm not draining my pockets for the Switch, either. Wii U preorder for me. Had the preorder in since, like, September. 

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Switch for this.  I'll be getting a Switch eventually either way for Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, and I know they won't drop the price before the end of the year.

This is the first Zelda game where I'm avoiding all pre-release stuff.  I pretty much haven't seen any trailers since E3 last year, but I know everyone was hyped about the January trailer.

ALL THE HYPE! Due to my lack of money, I'm going to wait for a Switch/Zelda bundle at a reasonable price. Or for a sale. But I will get it and attempt 100% it. But first, I need to finally get around to finishing Majora's Mask

alright, Game has been out for 3 days now and I have already put in about 15-20 hours worth of playtime.  would have been more if pesky things like "friends" and "eating" and "sleep" didn't keep getting in the way.  its still a bit early to render any sort of final verdict on the game, but it honestly might be my favorite Zelda game at this point.  most of my time has been spent just sort of wandering around this enormous map, and even with all those hours racked up, I have still only seen a small fraction of what is out there, but everything I have seen has been pretty consistently great.

This makes me sad.

Knowing I'll never get to play this.

HYYYYYYPPPEEEE! I still remember Ocarina of Time. Loved it! I have a good feeling about this new game!

2 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

This makes me sad.

Knowing I'll never get to play this.

I will when it comes out for GameBoy Color! Oh wait only Nintendo Switch? :( Rust and RUIN!!

1 minute ago, ☫Kelsier☫ said:

double posting is dissaproved here

Anything extra u have to say edit into your previous post thanks.

4 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

double posting is dissaproved here

Anything extra u have to say edit into your previous post thanks.

Sorry! I didn't mean to do that, I'm not really sure how that happened. I'll take it down if I can.

Just now, ☫Kelsier☫ said:

must be a mobile problem then

1 minute ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

must be a mobile problem then

Yeah. The keyboard covers 60% of the screen, and the bar at the to covers 20%, so I have 2-3 cm of space! Must've done something weird.

OK, I've played a good bit of it, am now in Zora's Domain. 

I am loving this. By far the best game I've played, ever.

Also, funny story, I joined a Zelda Discord yesterday, only to run into, guess who, @Zathoth. Was a pleasant reunion. 

I just don't want to stop playing this, and I keep thinking about it when I'm not playing.  Too bad I'm working almost 70 hours/week...

YEa, first few hours of work today were downright painful.  I've only gotten as far as Hateno village, storyline-wise, but have done a lot of wandering around.   also a lot of dying.  it turns out that certain things do a lot of damage, very quickly.  Lynels in particular are devastating.

This game's a blast. I've only played a couple of hours, and I just barely made it off the starting plateau, but I've really enjoyed the freedom to do whatever I want. I've heard the experience greatly improves when you turn off the HUD, so I think I'm gonna try that next time I'm playing and just look at the world around me. The last game I played, Lego City Undercover, I wound up doing the same thing; stopped looking at the map, and started learning the landscape. For this game, I anticipate it will be much more rewarding.

Controls are a little iffy, though; I keep firing arrows on accident, and I have a real hard time switching between weapons. And I think I understand why; the controls seem intuitive if you're freewheeling with JoyCons (oh, of course my shield is in my left hand). But that doesn't carry over to the gamepad. Skyward Sword was super instinctive for me; the way you swing the controller is how Link swings the sword. This feels like a step back, but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

I'm doin' it on the U as well, and I haven't had any particular issues with controls. It is, however, literally the best game I've ever played. 

I have scaled all the towers, gotten a full map of Hyrule in all its beauty. Conquered two of the Divine Beasts. My amiibos have helped a bunch, as well as my tendency to swing weapons non-stop at enemies haphazardly with no sense of tactic. It's worked so far. 

On a side note, I also bought an offbrand "pro controller" from Gamestop to try out, only to find that it does not work, and would not function as a Pro Controller even if it did. So I will be returning that with haste. 

I'm doin' it on the U as well, and I haven't had any particular issues with controls. It is, however, literally the best game I've ever played. 

I have scaled all the towers, gotten a full map of Hyrule in all its beauty. Conquered two of the Divine Beasts. My amiibos have helped a bunch, as well as my tendency to swing weapons non-stop at enemies haphazardly with no sense of tactic. It's worked so far. 

On a side note, I also bought an offbrand "pro controller" from Gamestop to try out, only to find that it does not work, and would not function as a Pro Controller even if it did. So I will be returning that with haste. 

3 hours ago, bleeder said:

I can't understand how people can be so far already.  I've played for something like 20-30 hours at this point, and I have gotten 4 towers total, and haven't even tried to get close to any of the divine beasts.  every time I start advancing the plot, i get distracted by something and it takes some time to make it back.  this week i spent a couple hours dealing with eventide island (don't have much time during the week due to work)

also, I've been playing on an actual wii u pro controller and have been loving it.

The animation to this game is beautiful. It's definitely one of the best Zelda games, besides Ocarina of Time and the CDI ones. I just found the Master Sword!

I can never decide what I want to do next.  Do I go to one of the shrines I have marked?  Search for memories?  Heard towards a divine beast?  Do a sidequest?  I'll probably try to find a certain Korok about seeds...

3 towards in so far.

I lack the consoles, so I haven't played the game and probably won't for a long long time, but I am curious about something. Where in the Zelda timeline does this game take place? 

20 hours ago, Left said:

I lack the consoles, so I haven't played the game and probably won't for a long long time, but I am curious about something. Where in the Zelda timeline does this game take place? 

I'm avoiding spoilers but as far as I know it's unconfirmed.  I believe Aonuma said it's after OoT, which could mean anything. I don't think fans have placed it yet.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:26 AM, Left said:

Lefty, I've been having this debate nonstop on the Zelda Universe Discord over the past few days. No one can agree on where it is. 

I personally think it's a reconvergence of the branches.