Romance you hope will happen?

randalthor

I kind of secretly want Kaladin to have a romantic relationship with Jasnah. I think she would be a perfect fit for him. Smart and witty, much better than Shallan. I kind of like Jasnah better than Shallan maybe that is why. And my favorite character is Kaladin. I want the only best for him. For God's sake please do not make him fall in love with Shallan Mr. Branderson. I can't stand her. Besides Shallan and Adolin is a much better fit:P

3 minutes ago, Isla_Vezrian said:

Honestly though, the cutest ship has to be Dalinar and Navani by far. I think they were meant for each other, in a way and they have such great chemistry. The balance between his discipline and her defiant nature makes me love them more!

I love that ship too! Shadolin is still my OTP, but that's a close second. :wub:

I know you hate Kaladin x Syl, Isla, but I could see that being a thing too. (I don't necessarily want it, mind, but I can see it.) Better that than Shallan x Kaladin, at least in my opinion.

1 hour ago, randalthor said:

I kind of secretly want Kaladin to have a romantic relationship with Jasnah. I think she would be a perfect fit for him. Smart and witty, much better than Shallan. I kind of like Jasnah better than Shallan maybe that is why. And my favorite character is Kaladin. I want the only best for him. For God's sake please do not make him fall in love with Shallan Mr. Branderson. I can't stand her. Besides Shallan and Adolin is a much better fit:P

I used to be on the Jasnahdin bandwagon, and if she has to have a relationship, he'd be my top choice. 
(I've kind of grown to like the idea that she is actually asexual, but... yeah. I wouldn't be opposed to the two of them getting together, rebelling against cultural norms and all that)

... part of that is definitely fueled by the fact that I don't like Shallan and Kaladin as a relationship, though. The (arguable) male lead and the female lead being the canon pairing of the series is... kind of a boring prospect for me?

1 hour ago, Phaedra Yulahnis said:

I know you hate Kaladin x Syl, Isla, but I could see that being a thing too.

Yeah, I love this idea as a purely platonic thing because they are perfect together... as an older (idiot) brother/younger sister thing.  Just as that though.  And yes, I really do hope Kal gets a cognitive shadow for this.

Other than that, though, I honestly just love the pairings Brandon has already set up.  Shallan and Adolin are great (though they both have a great deal of growing up to do before they do anything other than strangle each other).

Only problem is, Adolin feels about  80% doomed to me, just from a storytelling perspective.  Well, either that or Renarin is gonna get some serious character development and then take the obligatory-emotional-death hit for his brother.  But I digress.

Underdog here, but I'm really going for Shallan and Kaladin. I love their dynamic together as more of opposites with some middle ground and slowly understanding how broken the other person is, and I think it would be really interesting to see how a relationship impacts their characters. It could either be really good (they balance each other out) or just spiral into disaster. But, it would be interesting to see the impact none the less.

Courageous one, to resurrect a shipping thread...

I personally prefer Adolin and Shallan because I feel they are less generic, more interesting, more refreshing while presenting greater opportunities for growth than Kaladin and Shallan. I also have strong negative feelings towards having the major main male protagonist paired up with the major main female protagonist as I fear it would steer the story too much towards these two characters. I feel the story would lose greatly in potential shall Brandon attempt it.

I personally do not want Kaladin to have a love interest because I feel his character has enough going on, he does not need more. If romance he has, I hope it will be much farther down the road within the story and not in book 3 or 4.

5 hours ago, maxal said:

Courageous one, to resurrect a shipping thread...

I personally prefer Adolin and Shallan because I feel they are less generic, more interesting, more refreshing while presenting greater opportunities for growth than Kaladin and Shallan. I also have strong negative feelings towards having the major main male protagonist paired up with the major main female protagonist as I fear it would steer the story too much towards these two characters. I feel the story would lose greatly in potential shall Brandon attempt it.

I personally do not want Kaladin to have a love interest because I feel his character has enough going on, he does not need more. If romance he has, I hope it will be much farther down the road within the story and not in book 3 or 4.

So, in WoK there are some particular flashbacks where Kaladin refers to a girl as if the had a relationship and something happened to her. Her name was Tarah and we really don't find out much about her. I think that Kaladin is still hung up on Tarah just like he was, and still is, about Tien. So I think there is little chance of him having a love interest. I really hope we learn more about her because it's probably a good story for Brandon to tell, and we'll learn more about his mysterious years in Amaram's Army.

31 minutes ago, Isla_Vezrian said:

So, in WoK there are some particular flashbacks where Kaladin refers to a girl as if the had a relationship and something happened to her. Her name was Tarah and we really don't find out much about her. I think that Kaladin is still hung up on Tarah just like he was, and still is, about Tien. So I think there is little chance of him having a love interest. I really hope we learn more about her because it's probably a good story for Brandon to tell, and we'll learn more about his mysterious years in Amaram's Army.

Oh, we are learning more about Tarah: Kaladin has three flashback chapters featuring his story with her. It might be she will be his love interest or not, but I feel romance shouldn't take up too much page time within his story. My feelings are he isn't there yet and I'd rather we explore romance within other character before we get to him. 

Now, I didn't mean to say I don't want Kaladin to have romance, ever. It is just I don't feel now is the right time, but I may also be wrong, we'll see. Shipping discussion tend to be very personal as we are all going to fight to the death for what we perceive as the "ultimate best ship" :o 

38 minutes ago, maxal said:

Oh, we are learning more about Tarah: Kaladin has three flashback chapters featuring his story with her. It might be she will be his love interest or not, but I feel romance shouldn't take up too much page time within his story. My feelings are he isn't there yet and I'd rather we explore romance within other character before we get to him. 

Now, I didn't mean to say I don't want Kaladin to have romance, ever. It is just I don't feel now is the right time, but I may also be wrong, we'll see. Shipping discussion tend to be very personal as we are all going to fight to the death for what we perceive as the "ultimate best ship" :o 

Yeah, I agree that it's not an important plot line for him and I think he probably needs to grow more as a character before he can reallly have a 'romance'. But that being said, I don't want ANY romances to take away from the awesome story that is Stormlight, I do appreciate a bit of romance though.

Also, side note, I read WoR probably about a year ago and I am just now getting to rereading it, for the release of Oathbringer later in Novemebr(which can't come soon enough), so I guess I just forgot about the flashbacks with Tarah in them. Still though, I am so excited to see who ends up with who, just as long as it's not overdone!

3 minutes ago, Isla_Vezrian said:

Yeah, I agree that it's not an important plot line for him and I think he probably needs to grow more as a character before he can reallly have a 'romance'. But that being said, I don't want ANY romances to take away from the awesome story that is Stormlight, I do appreciate a bit of romance though.

Also, side note, I read WoR probably about a year ago and I am just now getting to rereading it, for the release of Oathbringer later in Novemebr(which can't come soon enough), so I guess I just forgot about the flashbacks with Tarah in them. Still though, I am so excited to see who ends up with who, just as long as it's not overdone!

I do appreciate romance as well, but I guess I would rather it happened to other characters than Kaladin, for now. This however is purely personal preferences as the Adolin/Shallan romance is promising conflicts which I find incredibly interesting while not being too large to overshadow the remaining of the story.

The flashbacks I mentioned weren't in WoR nor WoK: they are in Oathbringer ;) So you haven't read them yet, none of us did.

As for who Kaladin ends up with, here is an idea.... Lift. In the second half of the series.

Just now, maxal said:

I do appreciate romance as well, but I guess I would rather it happened to other characters than Kaladin, for now. This however is purely personal preferences as the Adolin/Shallan romance is promising conflicts which I find incredibly interesting while not being too large to overshadow the remaining of the story.

The flashbacks I mentioned weren't in WoR nor WoK: they are in Oathbringer ;) So you haven't read them yet, none of us did.

As for who Kaladin ends up with, here is an idea.... Lift. In the second half of the series.

Ohh, I see. That makes things interesting then. Adolin and Shallan are really cute together and I whole heartedly support their ship. I could see Lift possibly with Kaladin but as I've not read Edgedancer, I don't know as much about Lift as some. I wish the Oathbringer would come out sooner because I need my Stormlight fix. 

5 hours ago, maxal said:

Poor Gawx... he seemed very fond of Lift :(

Strangely, despite their little interaction, I kinda like Gawx x Lift: I would like to read scenes involving both of them XD

9 hours ago, Isla_Vezrian said:

Ohh, I see. That makes things interesting then. Adolin and Shallan are really cute together and I whole heartedly support their ship. I could see Lift possibly with Kaladin but as I've not read Edgedancer, I don't know as much about Lift as some. I wish the Oathbringer would come out sooner because I need my Stormlight fix. 

Well... I have been needing my Stormlight fix for the last three years... :ph34r: Kaladin and Lift is something I believe was casually dropped by none other than Peter in a dusty old Reddit thread where he stated he felt Kaladin would be the kind of man to settle late in life. I don't think he mentioned Lift specifically, but if Kaladin isn't to tie down the knot until he reaches his late thirties, then Lift definitely becomes a potential match. She is 7 years younger than him, so what is creepy now would be perfectly acceptable in 15-20 years.

4 hours ago, Rhaegar'Elin said:

Poor Gawx... he seemed very fond of Lift :(

Strangely, despite their little interaction, I kinda like Gawx x Lift: I would like to read scenes involving both of them XD

I know... but he might be fond of her as a little sister or as a friend. At this time, I wouldn't place romantic feelings on these two just yet. I guess I sort of like older Kaladin with Lift. My personal thoughts are Windrunners and Edgedancers are among the two orders which get along very well as Windrunners' protectiveness certainly walks inline with Edgedancer's altruism. I also think they complement themselves quite well as Windrunners are bond by Honor while Edgedacers are bond to Cultivation: one can do what the other cannot while the other can keep one inline.

1 hour ago, maxal said:

I know... but he might be fond of her as a little sister or as a friend. At this time, I wouldn't place romantic feelings on these two just yet. I guess I sort of like older Kaladin with Lift. My personal thoughts are Windrunners and Edgedancers are among the two orders which get along very well as Windrunners' protectiveness certainly walks inline with Edgedancer's altruism. I also think they complement themselves quite well as Windrunners are bond by Honor while Edgedacers are bond to Cultivation: one can do what the other cannot while the other can keep one inline.

Your argumentations are really valid and seems to fit well with the general "older romance" Brandon talked once (IIRC) like Dalinar & Navani.

I was just saying that I enjoyed the (very) little interaction of Lift and Gawx in Edgedancer and I would like to see more of them and see how things evolve (the funniest thing is I didn't like both of them in the WoR Interlude :ph34r: ). I agree that right now there aren't romantic feelings between the two but there is ground to develop them in due time (well, at least on Gawx part): just for saying, I wouldn't mind them ending up together later in the series XD

Obviously, being Gawx a lesser than tertiary character, Kaladin x Lift makes much more sense and there isn't much right now to support a future Gawx x Lift but, well, if I didn't bring up the argument in a thread like this I never would XD

P.S. Based on future interactions, I could also like Lift ending up with Kaladin.

I don't think Kaladin is ready for a romance. If he has one before book 4, I would expect it to be doomed. Let him pine a bit for Shallan/Tarah from a distance while he matures. He needs to come to terms with his past, his emotional scars, and current place in society first. Also, I'd rather have more interaction with Syl than a woman for now. Syl is the best though I am definitely against some contrived Kaladin/Syl romance.

I like the romances we have going now. A little more page time with Navani and Dalinar would be appreciated. Adolin and Shallan are good for each other.