Sentient machines/AIs/Robots in Cosmere

Oversleep

Question

Do we have anything on the matter of... those things (I wanted to say "non-organic sentient life" but spren :mellow:)? Artificial intelligence, sentient machines? How would they be, Realmatically? Would they get a Spiritweb? Would they be able to use medallions? Etc.

5 answers to this question

They would call a soul to themselves that could theoretically be spiked, so it seems they would have a full spiritweb. Source.

As for medallions, we'll need to see exactly how they work. There is a 'hack' Brandon has referred to with regards to the initial step, something involving the Nicrosil Feruchemy, that allows everyone to use them, and I don't think anyone has figured out the specifics yet. But, in general, if they have souls, I would expect they would be able to develop cracks as well that would enable them to use magic systems.

40 minutes ago, Samaldin said:

So a Typ 4 Awakened Entity?
I would guess they have a...weird spiritweb maybe not compatibel with an organic entity, which would complicate things like medallions and spikes

No.

Huge amounts of Investiture can cause sentience, that's a fact well established. I am not talking about things made by magic.

To reiterate - sentient AIs or robots, thinking machines.

Ah sorry i missunderstood the premise

I would say if you have a "true" AI (as opposed to a highly complex program which can respond to more or less all situations, but is limited by the programming) it would have a Spiritweb although i guess it would be drasticly different from organic life or a Typ4. I think an AI could Realmaticlly be rather similiar to a Cognitive Shadow, since both have a Cognitiv and Spiritual aspect but an extremly weak/or nonexistent Physical one (i´m working under the assumption that the AI could hopbetwen "bodies").