17S Business Cards

ccstat

In a few weeks Brandon will be guest of honor at Boskone, and I wanted to have some cards to leave on his signing table to direct people to the 17th Shard. After looking at several options, it seems like having them printed as business cards at Staples is an easy route to go and will look more professional than printing something at home. Here is the current layout I've designed. I would appreciate any feedback on how to make it better. (In particular, I am undecided on how to best do the series symbols, and I wonder about the wording and order of the site feature list.)

I plan to make the (editable) file available for anyone who wants to make these for other signings in the future.

17S Business Cards.jpg

Note: I'm posting in this subforum primarily because these cards appear to represent the site officially, and I'd like to get Mod/Admin approval before doing so.

Edited by ccstat

I have a few comments, design-wise, which I hope don't look like complaining.

• It's too dour. The background grey stripe could be any colour other than dark grey. I'd say try green, dark blue, maybe orange, like suggested above, and see which one looks best. The grey text could be turned black, which would make it look sharper.
  • The "do you like Brandon's books? Come share your enthusiasm" part could be a little higher - as it is, it seems a bit crowded with the stripe, and leaves a lot of empty space above. I'd also move it just a tad more to the right, but I'm not sure about this. Likewise, the list of features could be moved a bit down as well, and aligned with the "Also hosts Coppermind.net", so that it looks as if "Writings Groups" and it are written on the same line.
  • Speaking of "Also hosts...", it's a tad too close to the black line, though in this case, I'd move the black line up so that the distance to the symbols and to the text would be equal. 
  • The symbols could be moved or resized a bit so that they'd fit with the black line beneath them; as it is, the Cosmere symbol stick out a bit.
  • Why use regular font for the "Shard.com" and "The Official" etc.? The logo on top of the forum page is perfectly serviceable, holds the same information and looks so much nicer, not to mention more colourful. 
Edited by Rasarr

Thank you for the feedback. I've incorporated most of the suggestions, including using the full site logo. (For some reason when I tried to do that on the first version I couldn't download the right image.)

Here's version 2.0. If you have any more tweaks to suggest, let me know. I'll be printing them pretty soon. Although, if Chaos sends me Will's version, I could end up using that one instead.

Content-wise, I removed "Role Playing" from the feature list so that things would fit better. I think the Reckoners RPG is still active, and the elimination games have a loyal following here. Do you think that is an important advertising point, or is it more of an added bonus for people who would like that area of the site?

17S Business Cards2.jpg

Edited by ccstat

@ccstat, it looks much better, and I like this version a lot. I kind of see jowfu's point, though, that this orange might be a bit too strong. Maybe you could mute it slightly, so it's just a shade darker than the blue of "Shard", because as it is, it feel a bit like we're looking at something that's lit up by a spotlight from behind.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:11 PM, ccstat said:

Content-wise, I removed "Role Playing" from the feature list so that things would fit better. I think the Reckoners RPG is still active, and the elimination games have a loyal following here. Do you think that is an important advertising point, or is it more of an added bonus for people who would like that area of the site?

For me, role-playing was the reason I joined up.

• 2 months later...

been in business, did all the shopping around on these kinds of business tools if you will.... anyway . gotprint has the best prices .. i started with vista but once i used gotprint i never turned back, i actually cant figure out how they make a profit.. color both sides 2000 cards shipped out the door $20.. high quality.. choice or gloss or non gloss.. no i dont work for them.. im a realtor. 

This is a good site, and i love the cards... just a bit sad that not many people know about his books.. My name on Counter Strike , a game i play everyday that has a million unique players each month , about 600,000 per day, i never see the same 14 people in each game , i play 4 games every night.. my name in the game is KaladinStormblssed and not one person said hey, i read that book or is that from The Way of Kings.. blows my mind.. its like the best book i ever read and it was due to the great reviews on audable that got me started .. now i just bought the hardcover books just to collect , thats how much i got into it.. the last thing i was reading was Universe in a nutshell by Hawkings and the god delusion by dawkins along with Philosophy books.. talk about a change in reading . 

On 2/1/2017 at 6:30 PM, ccstat said:

In a few weeks Brandon will be guest of honor at Boskone, and I wanted to have some cards to leave on his signing table to direct people to the 17th Shard. After looking at several options, it seems like having them printed as business cards at Staples is an easy route to go and will look more professional than printing something at home. Here is the current layout I've designed. I would appreciate any feedback on how to make it better. (In particular, I am undecided on how to best do the series symbols, and I wonder about the wording and order of the site feature list.)

I plan to make the (editable) file available for anyone who wants to make these for other signings in the future.

17S Business Cards.jpg

Note: I'm posting in this subforum primarily because these cards appear to represent the site officially, and I'd like to get Mod/Admin approval before doing so.

check out gotprint.. 

FYI, I ended up using the official design I received from Chaos (which matches the site design and color scheme), rather than the one I made above. If I get approval, I'll post that file here. Either way, I am sure you can get the file from Chaos if you want it.

I printed them double sided at Staples, and got 1000 for $25. It turns out half that many would have been about right for a three day mid-sized con, but doubling up to 1000 was only $5 more so I figured better safe than sorry. So now I have enough left over for all the future events I get to. :-)