Set. Array, Suit, Sequence

Tsidqiyah

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

No, you couldn't. Probably Shard needs to Invest into Scadrial for its godmetal to be usable in Metallic Arts.

Wait wait wait wait wait.  Isn't it confirmed that Harmony is the only shard Invested in Scadrial as of SoS?

Does this...Does this mean that Trellium almost has to be derived, at least tangentially, from Harmony?

What we know about Trellium: It's from a Shard we know, in order for it to be usable in the metallic arts the Shard it came from "probably" has to be Connected in some way to the metallic arts (I assume the only way to do this is to Invest in Scadrial?), and Harmony is the only Shard on Scadrial...Is Harmony just having some kind of mental breakdown, self-shattering, or internal struggle...?  Dear lord...Have an upvote for blowing my mind.

9 hours ago, hwiles said:

Wait wait wait wait wait.  Isn't it confirmed that Harmony is the only shard Invested in Scadrial as of SoS?

Does this...Does this mean that Trellium almost has to be derived, at least tangentially, from Harmony?

What we know about Trellium: It's from a Shard we know, in order for it to be usable in the metallic arts the Shard it came from "probably" has to be Connected in some way to the metallic arts (I assume the only way to do this is to Invest in Scadrial?), and Harmony is the only Shard on Scadrial...Is Harmony just having some kind of mental breakdown, self-shattering, or internal struggle...?  Dear lord...Have an upvote for blowing my mind.

I speculate that a Shard has to Invest in Scadrial for its godmetal to be usable in Metallic Arts; that's just my assumption. However, Allomancer would still need some tie to that type of Investiture; ever since I discovered that WoB I wonder whether a Radiant Mistborn could try to burn part of his Shardplate (because burning his spren is atrocious).

But Hemalurgy is really an oddball across cosmere: anyone can use it on anyone. Maybe this means godmetals can be used as spikes regardless of whether it's Scadrian godmetal?

On the other hand, we know that if a metal is usable in any of Metallic Arts, it's usable in all of them:

Czanos (17 October 2008)
Does every metal have a Feruchemical and Hemalurgic property? If not, are there metals which have Feruchemical or Hemalurgic properties which do not have Allomantic ones?

Brandon Sanderson (17 October 2008)
Every metal has a Feruchemical, an Allomantic, and a Hemalurgic property. The godly metals each also do something else. There are several interesting Feruchemical powers yet to be discovered and revealed in the next series. Feruchemy is less widely understood because there were so few practitioners in the modern era, and a lot of the time they were too afraid of capture to really study and use their powers.
source

So if we take that to be absolutely true (keep in mind this was 2008) even for godmetals, then trellium would be usable by Allomancers and Feruchemists.
Here's another relevant WoB:

Shadowsaber223 ()
If Odium were lured to Scadrial, would his physical body turn into a burnable metal? If so, could Harmony create an Odium-metal legion of Mistings to consume and burn it? Would that weaken him sufficiently enough to be killed or destroyed?

Brandon Sanderson
The difficulty here is, again, one of Identity. People born on Scadrial have an Identity tied to it and its magic. Odium would have to do certain things to make them able to use a magic he fuels. He has done these things on Roshar, so it's not impossible for him to manage it on Scadrial.

source

Here's an interesting WoB about godmetals:

Question
If another Shard came to Scadrial, would that be enough to create a godmetal?

Brandon Sanderson
If another shard just came to visit, probably not.

Question
If they brought a spren or-

Brandon Sanderson
If they came and completely Invested the world, then things might start happening. But there's some special circumstances, remember. Ruin and Preservation created that planet. Specifically. And so there's some goofy things that happened because of that. For instance Roshar was not made by Honor, Cultivation, or Odium. That's one of the big differences about what's going on there.
source

Yeah, Harmony is the only Shard on Scadrial as of SoS:

Question

As of Shadows of Self, how many Shards are there on Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

(nervous laugh) There are two.... Harmony counts as two Shards. I do mean it that way, and I am giving you clarification so you don't all freak out.
source

But maybe Trell just sneakily Invested a little but it's not really on Scadrial? That's a theory.
Also, Harmony is whole:

Question

Are there still no Splinters on Scadrial, after the events of The Alloy of Law?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there are no Splinters on Scadrial. Unless they've been brought. There are no Splinters of Ruin or Preservation.
source

I don't recall more WoBs at the moment, sorry :)

Edited by Oversleep

• Chaos locked this topic