[Short films] Polish Legends

Oversleep

Allegro (which is sort of Polish Ebay) has launched a series of short films which are modern retellings of Polish folklore tales. Yes, there are English subtitles, fear not.

They're directed by Tomasz Bagiński and made by Platige Image. If those names don't ring any bells, Bagiński's Cathedral (based on a short story of famous Polish sci-fi author, Jacek Dukaj) was nominated for an Oscar in 2003 (and also won some other awards).
Still nothing?

You probably have heard of Witcher trailers. Those are people who made them (and also Cyberpunk 2077 trailer). (Platige Image also done many other awesome things)

There are five films in total (as of right now). I'll post each one separately, while providing the thing it's based on, references it includes, linking the songs it covers etc.
You can choose to read up before watching or later (or never), I leave it up to you.

-----------------------------

The first one is The Dragon.

Here's the legend on Wikipedia. TL; DR: wikipedia anchored.

What's the deal with the man playing on the tower? Wikipedia again.

Easter eggs:

Spoiler

Ghost in the Shell poster is obvious.
There's also a freeze-frame bonus when Johnny reads tweets - there's one from Bagiński suggesting watching his Witcher movie (which, as of right now, is currently in development) as guide to slaying monsters or projecting it to defeat the Dragon.

Music:
Plays during news and credits: Cichosza: oryginal. The cover they used is avalaible on spotify playlist they made or download here.
The Dragon plays and sings a song but it's nothing of note, really: Najwięcej witaminy: oryginal. I'm including it only because here everyone has probably heard it in some form.

BTW, the city it's happening in is Kraków/Cracow. Brandon's gonna visit it in two months.

The rest four films are inter-connected... but spoilers! Anyway, this one is stand-alone with a subtle nod given in next film. I admit it's not that great but the next two are awesome.

I'll probably post the next one tomorrow (so like in 12 hours or something) or on Friday.

Edited by Oversleep

6 hours ago, Erunion said:

Wait - they're making a feature length Witcher Movie?

Yes, they are.

6 hours ago, Erunion said:

A new one? Not the (poorly rated) early 2000's one? 

I don't know what you mean. There was no 2001 Witcher movie. Never.

Second one. This one is titled "Twardowsky".
Warning: some mildly strong language.

Here's the legend: Wikipedia.

Easter Eggs: ... Elvis? I think that one is obvious and self-explanatory.

Music: (in chronological order)
When Twardowski drives around: Wszystko ch... Nothing of note, really.
Plays on radio: Zegarmistrz Światła Purpurowy. (title: Crimson Watchmaker of Light) Masterpiece 10/10. You may have heard it in This War of Mine trailer.
The disco music: ... is anybody even interested in that? It's garbage and is used intentionally because it's garbage :)
Credits music: Dni, których nie znamy. (Days we don't know) it's good.

No covers today.

Next up: Twardowsky 2.0.

BTW, if you're interested in translation of the lyrics or anything, feel free to ask or PM me.

Edited by Oversleep

Third one is "Twardowsky 2.0".
As before, warning: strong language.
Oh, and there is a post-credits scene.

No new legends today since it's continuation of Twardowski's story. Borutha is a character from mythology folklore: wikipedia. Rokyta is another one (I don't have any handy links, sorry)
Easter eggs:

Spoiler

Perhaps Lucy's name is a reference to Lucipher?
The armor which can be seen in Borutha's office has trademark wings of Polish Hussars
The soul Borutha sends to hell when he logs into system belongs to the Dragon from the first film
Freeze frame bonus (16:19)- when Borutha sees the system go haywire there is a string of words in bitmap which reads "BORUTHA PENIS (or rather curse word equivalent of penis)"
The post-credits fragment of code reads:

LEVEL SPIDER - OPEN

LEVEL BAT - OPEN

LEVEL HYAENA - OPEN

LEVEL SPARROWHAWK - OPEN FUGITIVE - BASILISK

LEVEL BAT - OPEN FUGITIVE - JAGA/YAGA

SPECIAL LEVEL 1 CLASSIFIED AUTHORISED: BORUTHA

SPECIAL LEVEL 2 CLASSIFIED AUTHORISED: BORUTHA

As usual, the music:

• Twardowski flying into Saturn rings - "Jezu jak się cieszę" (Jesus how I enjoy): original (my - very proffesional - opinion: meh) | cover used is avalaible on spotify playlist they made or download here
  • 4:25 - Borutha typing into the computer - Swan Lake
  • Borutha humming - "Wszystko mi mówi, że mnie ktoś pokochał" (Everything tells me that somebody loves me)
  • Twardowsky's message - Ode to Joy
  • Credits - Aleja Gwiazd (Avenue of Stars) : original (that's the first time I heard it - OK in my opinion) | cover used is avalaible on spotify playlist they made or download here
  • there's one more track listed in credits: "Armageddon" by meat wagon & rickie james. So far my searches have been futile. I don't know what that is or when it plays. Perhaps the scene when Twardowsky removes helmet...?

There's a music video for Avenue of Stars starring Borutha and Lucy. It's OK but nothing more:

Next up: ... hm... go look at the post-credits code (I translated in "Easter eggs" section)

Edited by Oversleep