Long Game 30: Journey Before Destination

Amanuensis

Rea watched as  Ashetvl  talked for a while with another girl, and then as she talked to Brightness Davar. Both times there hadn't been any opanings for him to get in close to surprize her. He had really wanted to to, but everytime he went forwards to tap her on the shoulder, it looked like she was just about to turn around, and Rea backed away quickly. Rea was still watching Ashetvl as when she turned away form Shallan, and left the party in a hurry. From the little Rea saw on her face, the conversation betwen her and the Brightlady didn't go as well as Ashetvl would have hoped. Rea watched as she left the party, unsuer what to do. It's not like you know her verry well, he told himself. And she is more likely to find out then anyone else. He reminded himslef. I don't owe her anything, or atleast not that much. As much as he tried to aruge with himself, he still found himself standing infront of Ashetvl's door, unsure what to do when he heard something inside. 

Is she crying? He wondered to himself. What could have made her cry. Was it something that Brightness Davar said? He hesitantly reached twards the door to knock, but he stoped with his knuckels and inch away form the door. Nah, she dosn't need my help, besides, it's getting late, I need to sleep. And with that Rea quitly walked back to his own room to sleep. 

1 hour ago, Magestar said:

In that case, I'm still unsure what spren I want, so I'd rather save and spend all at once then just slowly spend away, and be locked into one decision.

I feel like most of them will have a cost of 2 or more, so saving up might be a good idea, probably. I’m still not entirely sure. 

Petrik strolled across the grounds, acting like he fit in. He wore a loose shirt, covering not only the bandaged wound in his side, but also the scars down his arms. That wound in his side had started healing remarkably quickly. Petrik had expected, after his climb, to be bedridden for at least a few days, but he seemed to have been feeling even better than he had for a while. 
     Petrik strolled through a party that was full of these 'Knight Radiants,' He had heard of these Radiants, who hadn't? He didn't know what power they had, but he would find a way to get it. Petrik had made a promise, and storms he was going to keep that promise. He strolled through the party, not looking for power exactly, but looking for a way to keep his promise, and if that required him to have power, then so be it. 
     Petrik was going to have to go start finding information, figuring things out, and discover how to get these powers everyone here was supposed to have.
(invitation if anyone is willing to RP in the waning hours of this chapter)

So strategy wise as far as spending Honour goes. We have no idea how much each spren costs, so you can either be a leader or a follower.

The leaders are going to be the people that are dumping their honor in constantly trying to get a Spren, They will be the first people with Spren....
The followers are going to end up waiting until the others have unlocked a spren, then dump all of their honor in an attempt to get the one they want, that is not taken. Shall be interesting.
Also: There are also going to be people who put their foot into all the spren, just cause they can.

I don't know if this has been answered, but will we know when a spren has been bonded @Amanuensis

3 minutes ago, DroughtBringer said:

Also: There are also going to be people who put their foot into all the spren, just cause they can.

That might be a good stratagy. If we do know when a spren bonds, then those who did put honor to every spren will know how a minimum of how much honor was spent ( one more then themselfs), making it a little easier to figure out who has which spren (or atleast have a better idea).

1 minute ago, TheSilverDragon said:

I don't know if this has been answered, but will we know when a spren has been bonded @Amanuensis

It has been answered. Whenever a bond is formed or broken (for other means than death) it will be announced in thread. It will look something like this.

A Bond has been formed.

Or...

Three Bonds have been formed.

Or...

A Bond has been broken.

And of course this means that the public will not one which specific Radiants have been made when they are.

2 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Furthermore, I will be amending the rules for earning Honor just a little as well. Only two "discussion posts" will be required a Chapter to earn 1 Honor (a discussion post being defined as something regarding the game itself, not the story, whether it be the players or the mechanics, that responds to another player's post or opens up another player to reply back). In the case of RP posts, if your first contains 168 words, for example, and your second contains 73, I will combine the total value for your required 200 words.

I wish I could upvote all your RP, but I'm only allowed 16 a day, so I want to let everyone know how happy I am watching this game unfold. I sincerely hope it keeps up, and for those who have been busy so far, that life allows you a little time to participate as well.

So with that being said, thank you all very much.

Just a quick clarification about these rules... Most of my posts contain both analysis and RP, not one or the other. This still fulfills the requirements, yes?

1 hour ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

(Putting RP in purple)

Yo, just wanted to say... Most people who used purple used it for OOC comments and put the RP in black. And most of those people (including myself) have switched over to use dark red for RP and black for OOC comments. I very much like the idea of color-coding to differentiate RP and OOC analysis, but please lets strive to all use the same convention.

Just now, Shqueeves said:

Also, will we be told how many other people are putting their honor towards a spren when we put honor towards that spren? 

You will not, no. Players will only ever know where their own Honor is being put, unless informed by another player themselves.

Just now, Drake Marshall said:

Just a quick clarification about these rules... Most of my posts contain both analysis and RP, not one or the other. This still fulfills the requirements, yes?

If a single post contains both discussion and RP, I will count it as one of each, yes.

Just now, Amanuensis said:

You will not, no. Players will only ever know where their own Honor is being put, unless informed by another player themselves.

Will we be told when a spren that we've put honor towards is taken up so that we could put our honor towards a different spren? 

1 minute ago, Shqueeves said:

Will we be told when a spren that we've put honor towards is taken up so that we could put our honor towards a different spren? 

If a Bond is formed with a spren you have allocated points towards, you will receive a message stating "You feel that a Bond has formed, though you do not know with who." This will not clarify which spren or which player, so in the case that you invest 4 points in a valorspren and 2 in a honorspren by the time you get this message, you won't be able to tell which of the two powers it is.

10 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Yo, just wanted to say... Most people who used purple used it for OOC comments and put the RP in black. And most of those people (including myself) have switched over to use dark red for RP and black for OOC comments. I very much like the idea of color-coding to differentiate RP and OOC analysis, but please lets strive to all use the same convention.

Ok, sorry. 

7 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

If a Bond is formed with a spren you have allocated points towards, you will receive a message stating "You feel that a Bond has formed, though you do not know with who." This will not clarify which spren or which player, so in the case that you invest 4 points in a valorspren and 2 in a honorspren by the time you get this message, you won't be able to tell which of the two powers it is.

Oooh that makes it so that to gather more info you want to only bond one spren...or attempt to bond only one

Edited by DroughtBringer
Added more

Naihar finally made his way to the reception area and helped himself to some meaty looking food and a glass of yellow wine.  He wore a simple but nicely tailored suit of sky blue with gold trim. While he wasn’t visibly armed, he did have two throwing daggers tucked into his boots.

Most of the others had long since arrived and discussion could be heard in all corners.  In fact it was so noisy that Naihar half expected to see a group of people dicing at one of the tables.

Finishing off his food, Naihar made his way out onto one of the balconies and breathed in the cool mountain air.

Ah, that’s better.

5 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Interesting.

If we ask, will you tell us if we have achieved enough for both honour points? Or will we only find out once we get our results PM?

Just now, Alvron said:

If we ask, will you tell us if we have achieved enough for both honour points? Or will we only find out once we get our results PM?

Afraid not, since the more honor you invest in a specific spren, the better chance you'll have of snagging it, in the case that multiple players qualify.

6 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Afraid not, since the more honor you invest in a specific spren, the better chance you'll have of snagging it, in the case that multiple players qualify.

I meant more that if we ask, will you tell us if we got both the discussion and RP points?  I know I got the RP one with my last post but am unsure if I got the discussion honour.

Just now, Alvron said:

I meant more that if we ask, will you tell us if we got both the discussion and RP points?  I know I got the RP one with my last post but am unsure if I got the discussion honour.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, if you ask me in PMs I will inform you, but I won't make it clear in thread.

Petrik let out a sigh. All these people had experienced something amazing, they had stood on the podium, and been announced as protectors of the world by Dalinar himself. They would talk about obscure terms like oaths and words spoken, everyone else seeming to understand what all was going on, they were all in on the secret, and, quite simply, Petrik was not.

He heard of the oath...maybe if he spoke to some people who were not knights, those who had failed, and ask them about their trials, and what they had found out...maybe then Petrik could get the power to keep his promise. 

Petrik turned and silently left the party.

“I’m sorry, but I think I need to talk to someone.”  Ashetvl turned away, placing her glass back down on the food table.

Ralaanar watched Ashetvl’s retreating figure, stunned. That… that had been so quick. Had he scared her off? Had she noticed him looking at her? Had he been too silent? To talkative? What had he done wrong?

“Wow. That was the rudest thing I’ve ever seen,” Rissa said.

“I know,” Ralaanar groaned. He buried his face in his hands. “I shouldn’t have…”

“Not you, you idiot,” Rissa said. She crossed her arms. “I mean her.”

“Is it because I look like a girl now?” Ralaanar said.

“What?” Rissa asked.

“I’m dressed like a girl. Did that scare her off?” Ralaanar said.

Rissa scoffed. “Nah, it had nothing to do with whatever gender you look like right now and everything to do with Ashetvl’s an arrogant chullholiness. C’mon, Ralaanar, stop moping. There are plenty of other people who aren’t rude pieces of crem.”

Ralaanar grunted and continued burying his head in his arms.

“Aww, don’t sulk. You gotta feed Addy, remember? She’s got to be pretty lonely outside,” Rissa said.

Ralaanar didn’t reply.

Rissa smacked Ralaanar in the face. He flinched. “Pull yourself together! You can’t just abandon your axehound for some chullhole who happens to look nice. C’mon, get up, get up. There, that’s better.” Rissa shooed Ralaanar out of his chair and towards the exit. “Let’s get some chouta while you’re at it. Might as get something out of this party.”

When the conversation with Sareth winded down, Uther excused himself.

He walked to the edge of the roof. Here it was less crowded.

Uther was fascinated by the edge. Such an incredible tower... One hundred stories tall.

And off on the horizon, he knew a terrible storm swept the earth. Ironically, I suspect that storm is why I am still alive... My place is to fight the desolation.

That didn't mean any of this made much sense yet. He would need to talk to one of the full radiants soon, if they didn't plan to explain things in greater depth the next day.

He examined them... Dalinar, the man who single handedly brought these initiates together, re-founding the Knights Radiant. Kaladin, who fought and defeated the assassin in white. Shallan, who found Urithiru and took us all here... Truly, if these people are what we initiates have to live up to...

Uther waited, looking over the mountain ranges of Urithiru in contemplative silence.

He shivered. The night wind at this altitude was icy. At the fringe of everything there were no heating fabrials or sphere lamps. Just a few lonely, old-fashioned torches burning in the night. Uther stood up close to one of the torches in an attempt to stay warm. A single flamespren danced around the torchlight.

I wonder what orders we will all end up in... We will likely need members of all of them to weather this storm.

He hoped there wouldn't be many skybreakers. He had heard... Unsavory things about them.

Uther walked back to the center of the party, looking to see if there were any last things that might require his attention. The flamespren followed him. ...I've never seen one leave a fire like that...

Fifth sat in the garden once  again,  contemplating  his purpose in life.  For some people,  this was an easy matter--or  at least,  relatively easy.  Most were here simply to go through life,  making what they wanted out of themselves.

Not  Fifth.  He was created for a specific purpose,  to serve a function for PRIME.

But what if he chose not to follow that purpose?

Tinatllë Iurnu sat in her new room, staring at her mirror. She was beautiful, certainly - had been dressed for hours now. A long, flowing blue gown with shimmering silver beads lining the bottom and the sleeves, and a sapphire necklace. Her makeup was perfect, and her hair was done up in a bun with a single tendril falling to either side of her face. She was gorgeous.

And she hadn't left her room. The gala had been happening for hours, now, but she couldn't quite leave. She couldn't bear the idea of having to greet someone, to touch their hand. To dive into another soul. She was nearly shaking at the thought. 

Her bright blue eyes stared back at her, piercing her own soul as she had so many others. I'm going to have to do this eventually. Eventually, there would be no choice but to find out what was really hidden inside her fellow Initiates. She would've liked to believe they were all beautiful, pure, untarnished souls, that their Radiant status automatically made all of them good, but... she was living proof that that couldn't be true. 

She sighed, and got up. She would have to make some appearance there. She could only hope that she could keep her bare skin away from anyone else's. Who knew? Perhaps it'd even be fun. 

Alright. Regarding the convention of RP color - question. Why do we need RP to be a different colored text? The only reason we have blue text is that it means there is something which signifies that this cannot be a lie. It's not just a semantics difference to distinguish different topics. But RP? One, you can tell that something's RP within two seconds of looking at it. Two, the border isn't clear - Wyrm has been using RP for all of AG3, for instance. Should he then be posting entirely in brown or red or purple or whatever? Even though there is game discussion in his posts? 

Essentially, I really don't see the need for a color of RP in the first place. 

19 hours ago, randuir said:

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of getting the truthwatcher early. It might not allow for easy identification of elims in the early game, but if the elims snatch it up early and manage to hold onto it for the rest of the game* it would deny us the use of the truthwatcher when we actually need it.

* I'm not sure how big the elim team usually is, so I don't know if they can afford to waste someones actions on this. Can a more experienced player give me an indication? In games of werewolf I've played with friends a group of this size (and yes, I have on occasion played it with groups of 20+ people) could have as few as 3 and as many as 6 werewolfs, but I don't know what the convention in SE is.

So, to be more clear, there are two conventions - square root or 15-25%, depending on the GM. There isn't much difference in mid-size games like this, and it's only when it gets big or small that that really comes into account. So I'd say five for this game, personally. Could be more or less, but five is fairly reasonable. 

*FLASHBACK*

They had arrived in Urithiru. Hashiv waited a long time. He said some words. He became an Initiate. Oh, and the Phantom Stranger had dissapeared for a few days, not that that matters.

Yep, he remembered that day alright.

-----------------------

Assassin (In Burgundy) seems to be making a fair few inquiries. Something tells me that all of his questions are collective of all the Elims questions, they want to know as much as they can to win this game, seeing as there are already a few ways to discover them. Then again, he also might not be.

Tintallë stepped into the ballroom, admiring the beauty of the place. She still wasn't used to Urithiru, it's spries and perfect symmetries. She'd never been terribly religious - she wasn't particularly fond of the Almighty for granting her the gift she'd been given - but it was beautiful, regardless. 

She drifted to the side immediately, trying not to draw attention to herself despite how nicely she'd dressed. Without even a glance at the food tables or the group of people in the middle of the room, she made her way to one of the side tables and sat, safe. Or safer, at least. 

To pass the time until the end of theh gala, she started to watch the people around her. It was a common game she played, whenever she was bored - whose soul would she want to touch, and who should she stay away from? Some were obvious, of course. A few insane ones she'd need to be careful about getting near. Dalinar, of course, she wouldn't mind understanding better, and there were a few others who looked safe (though looks could be deceiving; there had been a five year old girl with one of the most twisted souls she'd ever touched, once). The rest... she wasn't sure. There was a blind man sitting and speaking to someone else, which intrigued her. She'd never had the chance to sense someone with that kind of disability before. A pair of young girls near the food table looked relatively safe, if nervous for their first meeting. She'd have to examine everyone else in more detail to be certain either way, though. Some were undoubtedly harmless. Some were as dangerous as Tintallë herself might be to touch. 

She would just have to wait and see.

Too tired to do much more game discussion tonight, but in regards to advice - basically, do what you think will be fun. I fully expect that every role will be used shortly. It's just like in LG18 - you have a choice of what you want to do. What role have you never had that you want? This is your chance for that. 

That's about all on that topic. I'm going to bed...