Long Game 30: Journey Before Destination

Amanuensis

58 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Hey, Almighty (Aman)! Yeah, you! I heard that reflection spren are really good at spotting other spren. Can they see Skybreaker spren too?

I'm insulted by everybody who says that liespren are useless. Obviously you've never had your secrets leaked by a nosy spren before. Storming busybodies, sticking their fingers in everyone's business. Seriously, they run the rumor mills in Shadesmar. Same for reflectionspren. They see everything, including what types of spren a Radiant has, even the ones that try to hide. Have you ever played hide-and-seek with a reflectionspren? No? Trust me, I'm a spren. I know what I'm talking about.

I think the fact that only one person at a time can use it is why it's(Lightweaving) not as good of a role as the others. Like Joe said, it's unlikely any Unjust is gonna reveal their teammates in a PM, especially since they've actually got a doc in this game. I still think it can be useful to confirm people's stories later on, but I don't know how likely it is that anything like that will come up.

I think reflectionspren(Truthwatchers) can also be helpful in confirming players roles, or lack thereof. If there's evidence that someone has been using a Spren in a suspicious way and no one knows who it is, the Truthwatcher can clear players(just clear them in the sense that we'd know they weren't the one using the Spren, not clearing them as in proving their alignment) or get lucky and find who the culprit is. And of course later on they could be used to find Skybreakers. I'm pretty sure Aman already confirmed that they can be used to find them, although I think he might've said that in Discord. :P

I already said this in my PM with Rae, but I think this game in particular, everyone should try to use more PM safety. If the Unjust are going for certain Spren, then they'll want to try and kill whoever has the Spren they want if they don't get it first. So for your own safety, as well as the other players with Spren, it's best to be very careful with roleclaims. Feels weird that I'm saying that of all people. >.>

On that thought, Aman, when a player dies, will we be told if they had a Spren at that time and what Spren they had?

1 minute ago, TheMightyLopen said:

I think the fact that only one person at a time can use it is why it's(Lightweaving) not as good of a role as the others. Like Joe said, it's unlikely any Unjust is gonna reveal their teammates in a PM, especially since they've actually got a doc in this game. I still think it can be useful to confirm people's stories later on, but I don't know how likely it is that anything like that will come up.

I believe Rae was more intending it to be used on those in jail to see if the elims reveal something in PMs that way as they can't use the Doc while jailed.  Also, being able to spy on just one PM doesn't mean it isn't useful.  It just takes a bit of luck like any role.  I've had a PM spying role before and it's very useful if one spys on the right PMs.

2 minutes ago, Alvron said:

I believe Rae was more intending it to be used on those in jail to see if the elims reveal something in PMs that way as they can't use the Doc while jailed.  Also, being able to spy on just one PM doesn't mean it isn't useful.  It just takes a bit of luck like any role.  I've had a PM spying role before and it's very useful if one spys on the right PMs.

Sure, and I agree that it could be a useful way to use it. I think the fact that I was absolutely terrible with my PM spy role the one time I've had it makes me less inclined to want one again. XD

2 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

There's no reason not to go for a Spren if you're a villager. You've only got one Action to use and I'd advise you to try and get a Spren as fast as possible if only to keep the Unjust from getting them. It's not wasting your Honor, since it doesn't go anywhere...

Are you sure?  I though Honor was spent...

"Kelkholinar?  Now that's not a name I've ever heard before.  Would you tell me about it, what it was like growing up there?"  Ashetvl asked, as innocently as possible.  The woman had slipped up and they both knew it.  Ashetvl could act innocently, but now she’d let on that she knew - she began to chuckle.

“I’m sorry, I just can’t do it.  I’ve never visited Kholinar before.  I take it you’ve spent a good amount of time there?  What’s it like?”  She said this as the two reached the food table and she picked up a glass of Yellow wine, a little milder than her previous drink, but she didn’t think she needed much to be intoxicated right as this moment.

@Arraenae

1 minute ago, Magestar said:

Are you sure?  I though Honor was spent...

If I'm interpreting the rules correctly(which isn't always the case, I'll admit :P), I believe that you spend your Honor, but that it accumulates. So, if you earn 2 Honor per Cycle and you spend it each Cycle on a liespren, then you'll just be adding to how much Honor you have towards getting a liespren. So, 2 at the end of C1, then 4 at the end of C2, then 6, 8, etc. until you reach the amount you need to get the liespren, at which point you'll get the liespren, consuming the Honor you've put towards it, unless someone else gets picked over you, in which case your Honor will still be there, you just have to wait until the liespren abandons the other player/the player dies, giving you another chance of getting the liespren.

However, once you spend Honor on a certain Spren, you can't remove that Honor and put it towards a different Spren.

@The lazy anarchist, @Shqueeves, @Elbereth, if you all want some Honor this Cycle, you better post stuff!

1 hour ago, TheMightyLopen said:

If I'm interpreting the rules correctly(which isn't always the case, I'll admit :P), I believe that you spend your Honor, but that it accumulates. So, if you earn 2 Honor per Cycle and you spend it each Cycle on a liespren, then you'll just be adding to how much Honor you have towards getting a liespren. So, 2 at the end of C1, then 4 at the end of C2, then 6, 8, etc. until you reach the amount you need to get the liespren, at which point you'll get the liespren, consuming the Honor you've put towards it, unless someone else gets picked over you, in which case your Honor will still be there, you just have to wait until the liespren abandons the other player/the player dies, giving you another chance of getting the liespren.

However, once you spend Honor on a certain Spren, you can't remove that Honor and put it towards a different Spren.

Only problem is if another gets the spren you want first.  Then you have to wait for them to die or lose it. As I haven't decided which Spren I would like to go for, I will be saving my honour.  At least for now.

3 hours ago, Arraenae said:

Hey, Almighty (Aman)! Yeah, you! I heard that reflection spren are really good at spotting other spren. Can they see Skybreaker spren too?

Reflectionspren can spot Highspren as well, yes.

On that thought, Aman, when a player dies, will we be told if they had a Spren at that time and what Spren they had?

You will be informed. For example:

Kaladin has been murdered. He was an Honorable Windrunner!

Not that I plan on killing Kaladin, of course :ph34r:

Edited by Amanuensis

15 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Only problem is if another gets the spren you want first.  Then you have to wait for them to die or lose it. As I haven't decided which Spren I would like to go for, I will be saving my honour.  At least for now.

You're looking at this the wrong way Naihar. It's the classic prisoner's dilemma. Everyone can either choose to spend their honour, or to save their honour. If they spend their honour, and you don't, they will receive a spren, and you won't. If multiple people spend their honour on the same spren, and you save your honour, then you'll have even less of a chance to get that spren, as it will go to the next in line. The best option, which you might actually be doing without my knowledge, and I'm therefore ruining for you right now, is to convince everyone *else* to save their honour, while you spend it willy nilly.

Actually. That's a good idea. Ignore everything i just send, and be sure to save your honour. Keep it wrapped up, like the man who saved his talents. Let the foolish waste their honour on spren that others are taking.

1 minute ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

You're looking at this the wrong way Naihar. It's the classic prisoner's dilemma. Everyone can either choose to spend their honour, or to save their honour. If they spend their honour, and you don't, they will receive a spren, and you won't. If multiple people spend their honour on the same spren, and you save your honour, then you'll have even less of a chance to get that spren, as it will go to the next in line. The best option, which you might actually be doing without my knowledge, and I'm therefore ruining for you right now, is to convince everyone *else* to save their honour, while you spend it willy nilly.

Actually. That's a good idea. Ignore everything i just send, and be sure to save your honour. Keep it wrapped up, like the man who saved his talents. Let the foolish waste their honour on spren that others are taking.

I'm going to save my honour until I decide which Spren I go for.  I haven't decided as I currently haven't been giving this game all my attention.  I'm leaning towards liespren simply because I love spying on PMs but once I am able to give this game my full attention that might, and likely will, change so saving my honour is for the best at moment.  I can always give four honour next cycle towards my chosen spren but if I give two now and change my mind later then those two are wasted.  At least I would consider them wasted.

1 minute ago, Alvron said:

I'm going to save my honour until I decide which Spren I go for.  I haven't decided as I currently haven't been giving this game all my attention.  I'm leaning towards liespren simply because I love spying on PMs but once I am able to give this game my full attention that might, and likely will, change so saving my honour is for the best at moment.  I can always give four honour next cycle towards my chosen spren but if I give two now and change my mind later then those two are wasted.  At least I would consider them wasted.

And what if Liespren only cost 2 honour? Then when you spend all 4, 2 will be wasted anyway.

Edited by A Joe in the Bush

I hereby stand as witness that A Joe the Bush has been granted the right to say 'I told you so' one (1) time at the end of the game to Alvron in the case that he(Alvron) overpays for his Spren of choice.

Also, keep in mind that gaining 2 honor is something you have to work for. Most people that have posted have earned either the discussion or RP one already, but not everyone has both. So strategists, make sure to put in some RP, and roleplayers, try to come up with some strategies (or punch holes in those already suggested).

Edited by randuir

2 minutes ago, randuir said:

I hereby stand as witness that A Joe the Bush has been granted the right to say 'I told you so' one (1) time at the end of the game to Alvron in the case that he overpays for his Spren of choice.

Not so.  He only gets to tell me 'I told you so' if liespren only cost 2 honour, not if I overpay for a spren. :P 

Edited by Alvron

Here's a friendly reminder that Chapter One will be ending in a little less than 8 hours. So if you'd like to post more, or want to put in any orders for Honor allocation this turn, you have until this clock runs out for it to count.

tur_1486544400.png

Furthermore, I will be amending the rules for earning Honor just a little as well. Only two "discussion posts" will be required a Chapter to earn 1 Honor (a discussion post being defined as something regarding the game itself, not the story, whether it be the players or the mechanics, that responds to another player's post or opens up another player to reply back). In the case of RP posts, if your first contains 168 words, for example, and your second contains 73, I will combine the total value for your required 200 words.

I wish I could upvote all your RP, but I'm only allowed 16 a day, so I want to let everyone know how happy I am watching this game unfold. I sincerely hope it keeps up, and for those who have been busy so far, that life allows you a little time to participate as well.

So with that being said, thank you all very much.

Just now, Assassin in Burgundy said:

@Amanuensis, do the 100-word posts have to be all one post? Like, can I do one 100-word post and then two 50-word posts and still get the Honor?

They do not. It doesn't matter how much words are per post, so long as you get 200 total by the end of the Chapter, and at least two RP posts.

'We need to leave.'

Lyna forced a single eye open with reluctance. Her muscles were still stiff and aching from sleeping on an uncomfortable bedroll. There was an painful sensation the side of her head, a finger pushing against a pressure point behind her ear. Wincing, she pushed herself to her feet.

'Move quietly,' Father whispered. 'Don't wake anyone. There's a watchtower three streets ahead, can't miss it. I'll meet you there as soon as I can.'

She nodded, glancing around. Their guards were mostly sleeping. There was a single sentry on the roof, his footsteps resonating through the ceiling. But Lyna couldn't spend a night in a building without planning her escape, even when she wasn't a prisoner. Being without an escape plan always left her feeling exposed.

She took a moment to remember the building's layout. The steward - what was his name again? - had suggested it by his own personal recommendation, and Father had gone ahead with it despite Lyna's reservations. There were a dozen things wrong with it, not least of which being that she and Father would be surrounded at all times. Surrounded by their own soldiers, true, but a mercenary's honour was barely worth more than the price of their next meal.

A quiet step over the man sleeping by the campfire. The door was open, but the floor beyond was wooden. And where darkeyes' households were concerned, wood meant creaking. But every creaking plank was branded into muscle memory from hours pacing that same room planning her escape. The planks near the walls were the most dangerous, those directly down the center the safest. Coincidentally, most of the soldiers prefered to lay out their bedrolls near the walls, where they could retain more heat.

Stifling a wince as the door creaked open, she slipped into the brittle air.

The street behind the safehouse was kept clear to make entering and leaving as quick and efficient as possible. She sprinted through the city as soon as the watchman was out of sight, running over cobblestones and turning as many corners as she could to lose potential pursuers. After eight minutes she slowed to a walking pace, then backtracked to arrive at the watchtower.

She lingered by the door, watching groups of soldiers and pilgrims in the moonlight. Where in Damnation was Father? And why did the two of them have to leave so abruptly?

An hour later, the sun had risen. And still no sign of Father. They had a backup, didn't they? Why hadn't Lyna organized a backup?

She sighed, glaring at a nearby spren cluster. "Life before death," she said insincerely, trying to gather conviction.

"Of course," she whispered to herself. "Exactly. That's what I thought. That was never really your virtue, was it?"

If Father isn't dead, he's run back to Alethkar, something in her whispered.

"Shut up," she snapped at herself.

Edited by The lazy anarchist

Balthazar sat uncomfortably at the table.  The blind man appeared not to have heard him, and after sitting awkwardly for a few minutes, Balthazar began to wonder if the man was deaf as well as blind.

"I say,"  Balthazar commented, a little louder this time,  "The food here is quite good, is it not?"  

There we go. :P

In that case, I'm still unsure what spren I want, so I'd rather save and spend all at once then just slowly spend away, and be locked into one decision.

Edited by Magestar

Ha ha! Discussion is about the game, so if I say that Dustbringers should probably team up with a Truthwatcher or a Lightweaver to best target players to prevent killing Honorables.

Also, @Amanuensis, to what extent do you support game decisions and RP intermingling? meaning, do you like it when game decisions match the character?

Huzzah, now I have a nifty "discussion" post!

4 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Ha ha! Discussion is about the game, so if I say that Dustbringers should probably team up with a Truthwatcher or a Lightweaver to best target players to prevent killing Honorables.

Also, @Amanuensis, to what extent do you support game decisions and RP intermingling? meaning, do you like it when game decisions match the character?

Huzzah, now I have a nifty "discussion" post!

Jonly scoffed at the idea. While he himself agreed with it, how did he plan to go about it? The dustbringers did not know who the truthwatchers and lightweavers were. And if they did, they could very well be a skybreaker them self. So while it was a good idea to have the radiants team up. They had no way to be certain they could team up. Jonly himself could think of four or five ways to impersonate a lightweaver or truthwatcher if necessary. And besides unless the truthwatcher finds a highspren, or the lightweaver hears someone pulling a 'Sani', they have no real evidence that the Dustbringer doesn't.

Just now, Amanuensis said:

They do not. It doesn't matter how much words are per post, so long as you get 200 total by the end of the Chapter, and at least two RP posts.

Ok thanks. If you get 400 words and four posts is that two Honor?

(Putting RP in purple)

The night grew darker, and people began to leave. Araon was glad. Aside from that one conversation with that fanatic, (Please don't take it personally, HH. It's just RP), he hadn't been approached by anyone. That let him enjoy the four-course meal he had had in silence. The meaningless chatter had never ceased throughout the entire night, but it was finally starting to ebb. He made his way through the crowd to the exit, sticking close to the walls. The guards gave him a strange look, but he wasn't hindered as he stepped through the arch. 

He made his way to the fabrial lift that ran through the inner structure of Urithuru. Stepping on, he took out a handful of spheres he had stolen from the lights. Oh well. He had meant to return them.  Breathing in sharply, he felt the weariness from the party disappear. Though not completely drunk, his head cleared and eyesight sharpened. He had forgotten how wonderful it was. He set his hand on the fabrial gemstone and infused it with the power he had held just moments ago.

Instantly, he felt it's effects. He grimaced, but it beat walking down the hundreds of flights of stairs. He spun down the chute, and was nearly jolted off his feet when it suddenly stopped. He scowled, but continued walking. As he got to his room, he immediately fell onto his bed, exhausted. But as he looked up, he could still see the highstorm he saw in the stars. Something bad will happen very, very soon, he thought. And I'm going to be stuck straight in the middle of it. 

11 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

That's entirely up to the players. The way I view it is how honest or deceitful you (and your character) want to be. Most people have thoughts that are too personal or embarrassing to share in public, and in the case of those with ill intent, some may simply put on a face that directly contradicts what they're actually thinking or feeling, for whatever purpose. I would apply that to these games as well. Also, let's take an example from Words of Radiance. We get many scenes in the perspective of Dalinar, and yet we never know the trick he's been playing on Amaram until the man is finally confronted. So even good men can keep their most important plots under wraps.

So, if you personally want game decisions and RP to intermingle, than go for it. If you want to be more cautious or secretive, than feel free. I personally love to see both, and when it comes to me, I enjoy keeping people guessing.

My best advice is to just follow your heart.

3 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Ok thanks. If you get 400 words and four posts is that two Honor?

Negative. A maximum of 2 Honor can be earned each Chapter: one from discussion, the other from roleplay.

Edited by Amanuensis

Shallan Davar was standing at the food table.  Ashetvl looked at Ralaani and then back at Shallan. This might be the only chance she got to speak with her, for who knew what duties the Radiants might have to attend to at a moment’s notice.  She turned back to Ralaani and tried to put on the most apologetic tone she could.
“I’m sorry, but I think I need to talk to someone.”  And with that, she turned away, placing her glass back down on the food table.  She took a moment to breathe, preparing herself, simultaneously smoothing down her dress and brushing back her hair with her hand.  Neither fit properly. She pulled down her silk glove further onto her hand, covering it completely, and then moved the sleeve of the dress over it just in case.  She didn’t want to offend the Radiant who, being from Jah Keved, was much more inclined to Orthodox Vorinism than Ashetvl herself was.  She took one final deep breath, pushed down her anxiety and then approached the woman.

“Brightness Davar.” Ashetvl opened, trying her best to put on a pleasant smile.  She was terrified.  Shallan turned to face her and only slightly managed to hide her surprise at Ashetvl’s appearance.  Disheartening.  “May I speak with you?”

“You may, though I don’t know what… good, it might do you.”  Shallan replied, chuckling uneasily.  Ashetvl felt Shallan’s eyes on her like fire.  She felt… judged.

“I was hoping that you might be willing to instruct me as a Lightweaver.  Everyone said that that was what you were.  And since I’m a Radiant now, or going to become one, I want to become a Lightweaver.”

“No.”  She didn’t even blink.

“No?”

“You’re not a Lightweaver, and that’s not how it works.  Sorry.”  She turned and walked off.

The cloth was wet.  The tears dripped down now.  Reaching the bed.  For just a little while, she had become hopeful and she had gotten ahead of herself.  She always did that.  Always.  Always.  She hit the bed.  It hurt.  She stopped.  She just lay there.  Sobbing.

And yet.  She was still a Radiant, wasn’t she?  If she wasn’t to be a Lightweaver, then what was she to be?  What else could she be?  Her tears stopped.  Or at least, they began to stop.  It wasn’t quite as simple as that.  It never was.  Ashetvl stood up.  Even as a Lightweaver, she still would have been simple pretending.  Pretending to be something she wasn’t.  Wasn’t that what the Lightweavers stood for?  Pretending to be what one wasn’t?  And she didn’t want that.  She wanted to be what she wasn’t.

She needed something to distract herself with.  She picked up her bag and opened it, pulling out the case she had found in the upper floors the day before.  It was long, with several symbols she didn’t understand carved into the top of its lid though they looked somewhat like Alethi glyphs, at least stylistically.  Ashetvl clicked the latched on the side of and flipped the case open, revealing an aging scroll within, which she drew out, laying the case to the side and opening up the scroll over her lap.  The writing was fading, but even where it wasn’t faded beyond visibility, it was written a script that she couldn’t read.  It appeared to be some kind of map, and she could see some of the distinctive features of the coast of Thaylenah at the top of the map.  It showed a landmass surrounded by water, which she assumed was Longbrow’s Strait.

“What’s that?” she heard from behind.  Ashetvl jumped and turned around to see something floating in the air behind her.

Leif was laying on his bed, in a room more spacious than he had ever seen before. He was hiding, hiding from the other radiants.

“I hope none of them noticed my absence,” he thought, “if any did, I hope they don't come looking for me.”

Since proving his worth earlier that day, Leif had done his very best to avoid any and all people. He couldn't let them get to know him, and he couldn't let himself get to know them. He couldn't let himself grow attached.

Leif had spent the time during the gala laying on his bed, trying to relax. It was hard. Even when he was still living a peaceful life on one of the Reshi Isles, Leif was never able to relax. He was always moving. His time spent on the streets only made it harder to relax. He reacted to every noise made by people passing his room. Being in a room, no matter how large, made Leif antsy. The only times he usually was in a room was during highstorms. Of course, those rooms were usually packed with people. The fact that he had a room all to himself made him even more uncomfortable.

He glanced at the spheres lighting his room, wondering why they had Stormlight. The weeping was nearing its end. Most, if not all, spheres were dun. Yet someone, be it accident or design, had left enough spheres out during that freak storm for Urithiru to be well lit.

Leif stood up, and did his best to smother the light. After doing so, he laid back down on his bed, now fully intending to fall asleep.

Sorry for getting this out so late, life kept getting in the way.