Long Game 30: Journey Before Destination

Amanuensis

24 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

You know, you could totally just change the text color back for mentions and leave the rest purple. But fine, I'll adopt this new red convention because I don't like the idea of everyone following different color codes.

I tried that, but it's storming annoying because tags don't like to respond to changing the color. I just wish I could set the brown color on mobile.

Kintas noticed the dark-skinned man who had brought Hoid to Dalinar (albeit in a roundabout way, unsurprisingly) as he watched the gathered men and women with a keen eye.  He excused himself from Ranatar's pleasurable company and made his way over to him.

"I noticed you seemed to be familiar with the…messenger that visited Dalinar a short time ago.  Who was he?"

Sigzil smiled wryly at Kintas.

"I can't say I really know for sure.  Around here, though, he's known as the King's Wit. Best not to try to understand him."

Kintas nodded knowingly. 

"He always has been a mysterious one."

Sigzil shot him a sharp look.

"You know H..Wit? I saw the look he gave you, but I assumed it was just his usual mysterious charm." Kintas could hear the sarcasm clearly in the last words. He smiled back at the man, who was dressed in the uniform of Dalinar's guards, but was clearly more than just a soldier.

"Indeed, though it's something of a long story.  If I may hazard a guess, you are one of the Worldsingers, are you not?"

Sigzil's eyes narrowed and he took a small step back unconsciously. "Who are you, and how did you know that?  Have the other men talked to you about me?" Kintas put up his hands non-threateningly.

"Not at all.  I am also a Worldsinger, of a sort, and I know he has a tendency to recruit others with like interests.  You know far more about Wit than most, I imagine, though you're right about not being able to understand him.  He quite literally taught me everything I knew at one point, though we since parted ways.  I believe I arrived here in much the same way he did, in fact. Perhaps I'll have a chance to tell you more about it sometime."

Sigzil snorted. "I very much doubt you arrived here like him.  Seems he swam right out of a pool, if my Horneater friend can be believed.  I say he's just crazy and likes to make people think he's magic, but there is definitely more to him."

Kintas smiled again. "A pool indeed, and one leading to other worlds.  I would love to tell you of my world sometime, so you can sing of it as well, though I regret that I do not know actual songs about it.  A poor kind of Worldsinger I am, but I do enjoy telling of other worlds.  I don't tell many of this, since there are so few that would believe me, but I hoped that with your experience with Hoid, he would have let slip some information that leads you to believe me."

The dark-skinned man had barely flinched at the name Hoid, but Kintas could tell it was familiar to him.  His grip on his spear tightened, and he waited a bit before speaking.

"I think perhaps we will need to speak of this, later.  Away from other ears."

12 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I suppose I should ask, @amanuensis (mentions are broke...), if just one of the elims bonds a spren, does that restrict the entire faction from using their powers, or just that one player? Because if it doesn't restrict the whole faction, I think that makes the elims dangerously powerful...

Bonds only restrict the individual, although that does, in turn, restrict the whole faction, as that's less Unjust that can investigate and execute the Honorable.

12 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Aman, do you have a plan in mind for the RP to move to, or will you supplement it, or should we just RP freely including leaving if we wish?

I have a plan, yes, but you the players have free will of your own to enact as you wish.

4 hours ago, Doc12 said:

So a couple of questions first. There seem to be three types of votes going on in this game. The interrogation vote, the pardon vote, and the execute vote. Aman, does this mean all three of these votes can be used in one cycle? I'm honestly confused by your wording. From what I'm guessing, it means that the interrogation vote will remain in any given cycle, but we have to choose whether we want to pardon or execute in said cycle. Is this correct? @Amanuensis

Aman, question 2. Does being a Stoneward mean you sacrifice yourself for your target? 

Oh, and lastly, I'd like to note that Hithon will be bonding a Cryptic for RP purposes. I have decided this before the game started. I may or may not actually be bonding a cryptic in the game itself. Just stating this right now so that people don't think I'm claiming a role when I RP a Lightweaver. 

The interrogation vote can be used every cycle after this one. Pardons and executions can only be used if there is at least one player imprisoned already. So, for example, you can not vote to interrogate a player and execute them in the exact same turn.

Stoneward does not sacrifice themselves for their target.

There were only four people at this gala that interested Jonly.

The Lord Bondsmith interested him in an almost academic sense. Jonly had met him once before, on the fields of slaughter, when he had been the Backthorn. The Dark First of Alethkar. The man who destroyed the highprinces almost singlehandedly. He had reveled in the slaughter, in warfare, in conquest. He had served Moelach with all his soul. A monster of the finest sort. 

But, somehow, he had renounced his vileness. He had separated himself from the darkness, yet remained strong. He was the first man Jonly had ever heard of to go so far in changing. No longer a monster, yet still strong. Redeemed, but still a Tyrant. Jonly would have to make certain it never happened again. Especially not to him.

The second man of interest was the Wanderer. The Sand on the Wind. The Last of Wisdom. The Meddlesome. Hoid. Jonly had sparred with the man before, and had lost. If ever there was a monster greater than Jonly, it was him. His arrival had nearly convinced Jonly to flee. One did interact with a monster of that scale and come out unscathed. Hoid dragged chaos and destruction with him like the corpse of a child tied to a Noble’s carriage. But Jonly had to stay, and to learn.

Teresh was of even more interest to Jonly. He had watched in delight as Sani revealed herself as a diagrammist to the ghostbloods, and had been even more entertained when she turned them all against themselves and united them all behind the Diagram. But, he had also watched Sani hang the man. And stab him in the neck for good measure.

But here he stood, using a false name, and attempting to conceal his identity. How had he survived, and what plots were the ghostbloods laying now? They had their own Radiants to train. They had no need of learning from the Lord Bondsmith. So Uther was here for sinister purposes. Jonly would have to be certain to kill him early on, just to see if the man could die, or if he was one of those who had found a method of immortality, as Jonly himself had with Sani’s help.

Blind Hithon was of much more interest, as he was actually unmade as of yet. He was craftable, teachable, breakable. When they had first met, the blind man had mentioned that he didn’t trust Jonly, because the darkness that terrified Hithon was attracted to him. The poor fool. There was no darkness that wasn’t a part of him. Hithon was afraid of himself. Afraid of what he saw in Jonly. Afraid he saw his own future.

And he did. Jonly would make certain of that. The world needed Monsters.

As Jonly observed the other initiates, he listened. They spoke of things they didn’t know, and sought to predict the future. They spoke of bonds, and orders, trying to guess which spren would bond with whom. The Spren would decide who they would bond with. All the Initiates could do was act in a way that might attract them.

Idly, Jonly wondered which ones would be attracted to him. Highspren were right out. Jonly had no use for Law and Order. Honour spren would be useful, especially if he could find a Truthwatcher to work with. Though being the Truthwatcher would play more to his strengths, especially later on, when the Highspren begin to make bonds. Jonly had no love for those who worshipped Law and Order.

Valorspren were useless, except to remove them from the game. Jonly had no wish to be killed by some idiot who fancied themself a monster hunter, and the spren themselves were too strict for Jonly’s tastes. On the other end of the spectrum, Cultivation spren were equally useless, except to keep out of the hands of those who needed to be killed for the greater good.

Liespren would be equally useless. After all, Sani wasn’t an initiate. Heh. But Inkspren, They were a useful spren indeed. Transporting oneself with another lended itself to all sorts of interesting thoughts.

Jonly saw no use for Adventure spren either. He could shape people to his will with his words. He needed no spren to do it for him, and having one would just attract the wrong sort of attention. And Trustspren. Jonly snorted at the thought. Him? Bond a trust spren? Never. If a man could not save himself, he did not deserve to live.

So, Reflection, Honour, and Ink were the most useful spren to bond with. Jonly could do any of those, but which one? He would have to think more on that after he talked with the other initiates.

Okay now I gonna throw my thoughts :D.

First I want to say my ideas about spren bonding.

I see couple ways how unjust will act. 1) They won't bond spren and will try to get maximum kills from their abiilities without spren(anyway in the end they will become Skybreakers. I see that as best way for elims, but I don't know what chance of becoming skybreaker so I can't be sure). 2)Two of them will use faction abilities and two others will go for Dustbringer spren. Why 2 of them? Cause when dustbringer kills 2 villagers spren leaves his KR so they will hope that after one will make 2 kills other will get spren. 

Also there posibility that unjust will go for cultivationspren(but then they can't use their faction  abilities so I'm not sure about this one) cause ability to jump from prison is very strong(just think, no lynch on them without using spren ability(windrunner or dustbringer)).

Other spren that useful for elims is adventurespren, vote manipulation is always good, I don't think that I should say more about that.

Advices for village: Just bond them ALL!!!(Yeah just bond all sprens it's best for us).

Also Aman earlier mentioned that for some sprens you should have more honor for others less. From what I see I can guess that Lighweaver and Truthwatcher need less honor then others(Cause for me they looks not very useful. Truthwatcher is can be used as scan ability but only when elims will get their faction spren, and I'm not sure how soon they will  so in early game I think Truthwatcher will be useless. Also for Lightweaver I can advice to scan PMs of prisoned players cause:

As such, they know who their allies are and are allowed to communicate with them via a google doc, so long as they are alive and free.

As I understand imprisoned elim can't talk in elim doc.

Also I have questions about how will work some abilities but I will ask them little bit later.

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

An interesting conversation... Excellent.

"I would potentially be interested, thank you...

I fear you misunderstand my question however. By what criteria do you decide if something belongs in the book or not?

Do you evaluate the truth of information according to your senses, and your observation? Do you advocate a certain method to test if something is true or not? Do you perhaps hold to a particularist belief, and assume the contents of the book to be true, thus evaluating new information based on the teachings of the book?

The problem of criterion. It is impossible to discuss truth without starting there...

I guess I'll use the red for RP...

Sareth shook his head, a slight motion.

"I believe I have answered your question, but perhaps I said it in a confusing way. These ways of discerning the Truth have been practiced before, by the Truthseekers of old. These journeys, to observe the world and derive Truth from it. There was a Truthbringer, a very intelligent man, who used a mathematical formula to determine if something was the Truth. It was a very complex equation, but alas, the formula died with his passing. Some doubt whether this formula was effective, so most refrain from referencing his writings extensively. He was, however, the one to determine that patterns in nature are the Truth. I am particularist, in a way, referencing the works of former Truthseekers. But you must understand. The Truth is eternal, outside the sphere of men. We can do nothing to change it, only find it. That is why we are called the Truthseekers, to seek the Truth."

"I think I am beginning to understand...

I find it important to know the root of someone's beliefs. If anyone is to claim they know anything at all, they must start with a belief that they simply choose to adopt. It says a great deal about a person, what belief they choose to found all other beliefs upon.

If I do not know the basic truth you acknowledge before any others, I do not know the first note of the music that moves you.

The pursuit of truth is a noble one...

But I do wonder about this equation. I do not doubt that an equation could conceivably explain every pattern in nature... An equation could answer nearly every question that could be asked. But perhaps not the most important ones...

So I ask. What purpose does humanity serve?

Is the purpose of mankind to find truth? If a man could reach complete understanding, but also be rendered incapable of action, would this trade be desirable?"

This is an intriguing new belief system... I almost feel bad for bringing out all these heavy-hitting questions...

If you reply that the equation has calculated that the purpose humanity serves is 42... :P

“So from what parts do you hail?” Ashetvl asked.  

Ralaanar thought. Should he tell the truth or make up a lie? He needed to ask Rissa, but he couldn’t speak to her in front of Ashetvl. “Um. Uh, I come from, uh, Alethkar. Kel -- Kholinar. I’m from Kholinar. Yeah.”

Rissa facepalmed and Ralaanar shot her a helpless look. What could he do? He needed her help!

You know what? I’m not going to let Ralaani speak anymore. I can’t stand watching her make a mess of what she wants to say again.

*audible sigh of relief*

I’ve seen a lot of liespren here recently. Good people if you want someone to talk to, but really, really nosy. They’re really good at hiding too. They can be anywhere, listening in on your private conversations. So be careful! Even if you’re talking to someone you trust not to blab, the liespren won’t care about keeping your information safe. If you’re really paranoid, set up a code. You can use something like a one time pad. Don't even think about paying someone else to use their machine to decode it for you. Journey before destination, peeps! That’s what you’re a Radiant for. If the Stormfather catches you breaking your oath, he's gonna give you a smacking to remember. Just be smart, folks. That's all I can say.

Okay, so I had a misconception about how the Unjust faction powers worked. I'd thought it was a one use per Cycle thing, but that obviously isn't the case(since 2 Unjust have to attack a Free Honorbound person in order to kill them). So yeah, I suppose I'm not sure whether the Unjust will attempt to Bond a Spren immediately or not like villagers will. I imagine some of them will, but it could be that they'd rather just rely on their faction powers for the most part.

Shinon wasn't quite sure what he should wear to the gala. He didn't really go to any big events like these in Roion's warcamp, instead just focusing on his archery and going to duels on occasion. Eventually, he decided that his uniform would be good enough, though he did wash it and get it in as good a condition as he could manage. He grabbed his Knights Radiant cloak and headed for the gala.

Once he got there, he felt a little overwhelmed at all of the important figures there. Highprince Kholin and his youngest son, Brightlord Renarin, were here, as well as the Radiants Kaladin and Shallan. He felt a sense of awe that he'd be surrounded by the most powerful figures in Alethkar, possibly the entirety of Roshar! Of course, he'd have to grow accustomed to it, because it was likely to be a regular occurrence now that he was to be a Knights Radiant as well.

First things first, he went and got himself a drink. Just some yellow wine, to calm his nerves, but not to get himself truly drunk. He eventually mustered the courage to speak with the Highprince. He hadn't had much chance to truly introduce himself at the Initiation, and he wanted to make a good impression. He checked a mirror to make certain everything was in order. When he was satisfied, he strode towards the Highprince's seat.

Okay Shinon, try not to make a complete fool of yourself.

If anyone wants to bump into Shinon or something, feel free, as he's very focused on figuring out what exactly he's going to say to Dalinar. :P

Alright then. I finally received my GM PM an hour ago (thanks aman...)

------------------------------

Hashiv had no idea how he had made it to the gala, Storms, he had no idea how he had spoken the oaths, let alone make it to Urithiru. It had been a strange 3 weeks, The Stranger had explained to him how he had the potential to be invested, whatever that meant, had pried out the secrets to his past, which he had strangely felt like telling him.

The stranger had taken him onto the boat and they had sailed to the shore of Tu Bayla. The boat had then been transformed into a curious vehicle, with strange black wheels. He had bought some chulls, strapping them to the contraption, and off they went. To Urithiru said the stranger, where Hashiv was to be initiated! Hashiv couldn't believe it. Him! A Radiant! Apparently something that had occurred in his past which he had overcome many decades ago made him eligible to attract a spren. They had travelled through Jah Kaved, moving through most of Alethkar and into the Frostlands. He had never left the Purelake, content with what he had made for himself there. They had arrived at Urithiru three days ago. Hashiv remembered the day crystal clear.

------------------------------

OKEY DOKEY.

I'm coming back from a pretty long break from this game so cut me some slack please.

Drought's idea is great! Also, perhaps we should add something to the end of each post where we post how much honor we have received. Anyone who doesn't comply can be considered a suspect. Of course, there will be deception, but that can be quickly remedied with the spreadsheet.

Anyway, gotta bond em all

Hess watched the stars. They were quite interesting, here in Roshar. Much more interesting, than, say...
STOP IT!
He was having to remind himself of that too often these days. He didn't want to become an over-reflective fool too soon in his life, now, did he?
He looked around at the other people. The man striding nervously towards the Highprince's chair. The Purelaker.
There were so many people here, and some of them were traitors. It was going to be somewhat difficult to work out which was which.
However, Hess wasn't the sort to shy away from a challenge. Others might see it as too hard, but not Hess. Hess liked the thrill of chasing down the solution, the feeling that everything could go out of control at any moment. It was what he lived for. Until now, he had failed only once, in his first adventure. Then, he'd been lucky to escape with his life. After that, he vowed never to let that happen again. He would be prepared, and he would be helpful. Before he'd started on his new life, he'd been useless, a burden to society. All the Returned were. However, he'd discovered his gift from his former life, and put it to use. He liked to think he'd helped a lot of people - not always the right ones, but he'd still been helpful.

Yes, I realize Hess's thinking is different here than it was in the introduction. Don't worry, it's intentional. Hess is a little bit crazy.

Edited by JUQ

Sorry, I had to sleep, or else I would have relied earlier, @Drake Marshall. (No colors on mobile)

Sareth nodded. "Yes, the key to happiness is the Truth, to find it and live its principles. That is why Truthseekers are very important, because they are the ones who bring the Truth to the people for the people's benefit. If a person could achieve complete understanding, but lose action? I am sure this would receive varying responses. An accurate way to describe this phenomenon is death. Once you die, you will no longer be able to act. This is obvious. However, with it you gain knowledge, by leaving the sphere of men and going into the sphere of spirits. Is this desirable? Perhaps. But I feel that there is so much to do in this sphere, to progress the lives of men and bring unity, that to pass up my life would be a poor trade."

15 hours ago, Arinian said:

Also Aman earlier mentioned that for some sprens you should have more honor for others less. From what I see I can guess that Lighweaver and Truthwatcher need less honor then others(Cause for me they looks not very useful. Truthwatcher is can be used as scan ability but only when elims will get their faction spren, and I'm not sure how soon they will  so in early game I think Truthwatcher will be useless. 

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of getting the truthwatcher early. It might not allow for easy identification of elims in the early game, but if the elims snatch it up early and manage to hold onto it for the rest of the game* it would deny us the use of the truthwatcher when we actually need it.

* I'm not sure how big the elim team usually is, so I don't know if they can afford to waste someones actions on this. Can a more experienced player give me an indication? In games of werewolf I've played with friends a group of this size (and yes, I have on occasion played it with groups of 20+ people) could have as few as 3 and as many as 6 werewolfs, but I don't know what the convention in SE is.

Edited by randuir
grammar

22 minutes ago, randuir said:

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of getting the truthwatcher early. It might not allow for easy identification of elims in the early game, but if the elims snatch it up early and manage to hold onto it for the rest of the game* it would deny us the use of the truthwatcher when we actually need it.

* I'm not sure how big the elim team usually is, so I don't know if they can afford to waste someones actions on this. Can a more experienced player give me an indication? In games of werewolf I've played with friends a group of this size (and yes, I have on occasion played it with groups of 20+ people) could have as few as 3 and as many as 6 werewolfs, but I don't know what the convention in SE is.

Usualy elim team is 1 elim on 5 villagers(but number can be affected by powers, something else, roaches in GM head). 

Also I said that will be best for us to get all roles, I just stated that Truthwatcher will be not very effective in early game. Also if elims and some villagers will try to go for Truthwatcher random will decide who will get spren. But I don't think that elims will go for Truthwatcher spren cause it's decrease their power and gives nothing to them, so I think that best for someone active to go for 2 weak sprens(Truthwatcher and Lightweaver) in same time(this statement based only on my guess that Truthwatcher and Lightweaver spren is should be more cheap then others.) or go for one weak spren and one strong(you surely not gonna get strong spren first but after someone who get that spren would die you will have chance to get that spren(Cause you will have enough honor. I hope that I not failed in my understanding of how it works) and yeah all what I'm adviced is based on big risk get nothing. Even I not gonna go with my advice).

44 minutes ago, Arinian said:

Usualy elim team is 1 elim on 5 villagers(but number can be affected by powers, something else, roaches in GM head). 

So with 22-23 players (not sure if I should count Lomot), that probably means we've got 4-5 elims. I completely agree that we should all be trying to get a spren, we should just be careful that we don't all try to get a fancy one like a valor-spren or an honor-spren and forget about less spectacular spren like the truthwatcher-spren. I don't think there is a way to coordinate this, apart from posting in the thread, which would be....unwise, but if anyone has got any ideas for this, I'm open to suggestions.

edit: actually, if its one elim for every five villagers, that means a ratio of 1 elim for every 6 players, so it's (3 to) 4 elims if the above logic has been followed by amanuensis.

Edited by randuir

I have seen thousands of celebrations like this one. Dancing, fancy clothes and buffet all that was part of this but not main, not even close. Main part of this all were intrigues and lies, people was just preparing for stabbing each other in the back. Maybe not by the knife or sword but by word, by false promises. 
Once I was one of them... huh, once, what a lie, I still the same... I'm just tired of it all. After so many events like this one, after so many lies, I'm bored by that. Once it was something exciting, now it's routine.

Okay, going with my questions.

Can Elsecaller or Stoneward use their abilities on themselves?

If Elsecaller can:

How will work Elsecaller’s ability if Windrunner will use his ability on him? Will Windrunner block Elsecaller or block will work on person with whom Elsecaller changing?

If Windrunner will block one of two elims which using kill, kill will be failed?

If Elsecaller will switch himself with someone else will Lightweaver know that he in wrong PM?

Also I want to point everyone on this(if someone missed it):

Executions need half of the free players to agree, while pardons require at least three-fourths.

There not usual system when we need only 2 votes for lynch, we need half of free players. So inactivity in this game is unforgivable. 

20 minutes ago, Arinian said:

Can Elsecaller or Stoneward use their abilities on themselves?

If Elsecaller can:

How will work Elsecaller’s ability if Windrunner will use his ability on him? Will Windrunner block Elsecaller or block will work on person with whom Elsecaller changing?

If Windrunner will block one of two elims which using kill, kill will be failed?

If Elsecaller will switch himself with someone else will Lightweaver know that he in wrong PM?

Elsecaller can. Stoneward can't.

Windrunner's block trumps all actions. So, if a Windrunner targets an Elsecaller, the Elsecaller's ability will be canceled. However, if the Windrunner targets another player targeted by the Elsecaller, it will hit the person swapped with them. In the event that a Windrunner blocks a player that an Elsecaller is teleporting themselves with, a paradox will cause a rift in the spacetime continuum, releasing Odium upon Roshar and destroying all life as we know it.

That is correct. If the Windrunner blocks an Unjust attempting to execute someone, the kill will fail.

Lightweaver's will be informed which player's are saying what.

EDIT: Also, as a reminder, if you want to allocate the Honor you earn this turn to a specific Spren, let me know now in your GM PM. Otherwise it will gather until you are ready to spend it.

Edited by Amanuensis

Thank you for answers. 

1 minute ago, Amanuensis said:

In the event that a Windrunner blocks a player that an Elsecaller is teleporting themselves with, the paradox will release Odium upon Roshar and all will die.

Beautiful way for everyone to win... or better say to lose ;)

Hithon remembered the first party he had ever been to.

He had been nineteen.

Someone had died.

It had been a gathering like this. Perhaps not as grand, but it wasn’t as if he could tell the difference. The soft music in the air, the contented chatter drifting across the room, the smells of food and drink.

Then the first guest had died. One of his father’s known friends. One moment he was leaning into his father’s ear, laughing. Then in the next moment he was clutching at his throat, screaming. Frothing. His mother had screamed. His father calling for all the guests to stop eating. All the food in the room thrown out.

It had been a stain on the family name. His father had fired all the cooks responsible for that night’s dinner, even as the brightlords argued over who would have had the best motive for poison. His father grieved. The poisoner was never found.

Even now, he remembered the lilting music before the screams, the easy laughter and the comfortable conversation. The same things he heard now. He felt an unbelievable tension, waiting. Knowing that it was the calm before the storm.

How long? How much longer before this scene was shattered?

He didn’t much care. All he cared about was not being in the center when it happened.

Caring for the welfare of others was admirable. But it had burned him too badly for him to try again.

When he bonded a spren, he would leave.

It just wasn’t his fight.

2 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Windrunner's block trumps all actions. So, if a Windrunner targets an Elsecaller, the Elsecaller's ability will be canceled. However, if the Windrunner targets another player targeted by the Elsecaller, it will hit the person swapped with them. In the event that a Windrunner blocks a player that an Elsecaller is teleporting themselves with, a paradox will cause a rift in the spacetime continuum, releasing Odium upon Roshar and destroying all life as we know it.

I for one support this win condition. All in favor say aye.

7 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I'm coming back from a pretty long break from this game so cut me some slack please.

Drought's idea is great! Also, perhaps we should add something to the end of each post where we post how much honor we have received. Anyone who doesn't comply can be considered a suspect. Of course, there will be deception, but that can be quickly remedied with the spreadsheet.

Anyway, gotta bond em all

Uh, did I miss Drought's post? What idea?

6 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Sorry, I had to sleep, or else I would have relied earlier, @Drake Marshall. (No colors on mobile)

Sareth nodded. "Yes, the key to happiness is the Truth, to find it and live its principles. That is why Truthseekers are very important, because they are the ones who bring the Truth to the people for the people's benefit. If a person could achieve complete understanding, but lose action? I am sure this would receive varying responses. An accurate way to describe this phenomenon is death. Once you die, you will no longer be able to act. This is obvious. However, with it you gain knowledge, by leaving the sphere of men and going into the sphere of spirits. Is this desirable? Perhaps. But I feel that there is so much to do in this sphere, to progress the lives of men and bring unity, that to pass up my life would be a poor trade."

No problem, I need to sleep too mate :P

"I think your answer is wise."

Uther's mind wandered for a moment. He wondered what Dalinar was planning for the initiates, after all the formalities were settled.

Alright. So. First I want to note that Arinian is dead right about activity. With those voting requirements, inactivity is inexcusable. Actually, if there isn't an inactivity filter we might end up forced to lynch inactives just so we don't lose the ability to lynch... Aman has put in place mechanics to encourage activity (namely the honor system), which is quite helpful to this end... But we need to be careful about this.

Since there is no possibility of a lynch for at least the next two cycles... It is kind of hard to have any real suspects right now. Basically, at this stage, we are all scrambling to take up spren. Doesn't really matter what side you're on, right now we are all planning to either go for a spren we don't think other people will go for, or beat everyone out on a role where we expect competition.

Balthazar stood amongst the throng of people, baffled.  There were many, many more people than he had expected to be here.  The Radiants were truly returning in force.  He peered about, quietly, attempting to make note of every person there.  It was an old habit, from even before IT had happened, and time and treachery enforced habits like this.  He liked what he saw, in most respects.  Balthazar was sure the Kholins would do well with this group.  He wandered over to a table of food.  Rather, he appeared to wander over to a table of food.  He had changed out of his rag-tag outfit since the test, and was now wearing one of the outfits he had kept from his days as a... trader.  Yes, that fit what he had done pretty well.  He had traded in objects of value, of course, after obtaining them from places where they were worth... less.  Yes, that would do nicely.   Anyway, he shifted between people, making his way purposely towards the table, while appearing to wander.  Going unnoticed was a skill that had made itself useful in all of his previous professions.  

Once at the table, Balthazar picked through the food until he found a nice heavy piece of meat, plenty of fruit, and some bread-like substance.  He would need to regain his strength.  Yes, he was still wiry, and had never really lost his skill or agility, but he would need a soldiers body if he was to gain any standing in this place.  Thankfully, training his body was another thing he had done many times before.   He spotted a mysterious blind stranger sitting alone at a table of food.  That was interesting.  A blind Radiant?  Fascinating.  Walking towards the table, Balthazar sat down.  

"Hello, sir,"  Balthazar said.  "My name is... Czarn.  How did you come to be at this... gathering?"

Ok!  Lets get started. :D 

I, for one, will not be going for a Spren just yet.  First of all, I'm going to be trying to follow Balthazar around this game, and he's not ready for a Spren just yet, and second, so many people will be trying to get them that I'm not sure I want to waste stormlight just yet.  

About activity... Activity is always important.  And not only is the voting scheme in this game especially compelling, but without Honor, the village can't do a lot.  So, be active, people. :P 

I'm going to read over the rules again, and try to formulate some ideas, so I can contribute more.  So far, I like what I'm seeing.

I'll also try to be more active as time goes on, but life is pretty busy for me right now, as I've said elsewhere.  So my activity might not be as on point as I'd like.

7 hours ago, randuir said:

So with 22-23 players (not sure if I should count Lomot), that probably means we've got 4-5 elims. I completely agree that we should all be trying to get a spren, we should just be careful that we don't all try to get a fancy one like a valor-spren or an honor-spren and forget about less spectacular spren like the truthwatcher-spren. I don't think there is a way to coordinate this, apart from posting in the thread, which would be....unwise, but if anyone has got any ideas for this, I'm open to suggestions.

edit: actually, if its one elim for every five villagers, that means a ratio of 1 elim for every 6 players, so it's (3 to) 4 elims if the above logic has been followed by amanuensis.

Actually, I think it's closer to 1 elim for every 5 players. So I'm guessing it's either 4 or 5 Unjust. I think I'm leaning towards 4, but I don't think 5 would be too much, so I'll probably just assume it's 5 since I'd rather not underestimate how many Unjust are left when the game is getting close.

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

-RP here-

Alright. So. First I want to note that Arinian is dead right about activity. With those voting requirements, inactivity is inexcusable. Actually, if there isn't an inactivity filter we might end up forced to lynch inactives just so we don't lose the ability to lynch... Aman has put in place mechanics to encourage activity (namely the honor system), which is quite helpful to this end... But we need to be careful about this.

Since there is no possibility of a lynch for at least the next two cycles... It is kind of hard to have any real suspects right now. Basically, at this stage, we are all scrambling to take up spren. Doesn't really matter what side you're on, right now we are all planning to either go for a spren we don't think other people will go for, or beat everyone out on a role where we expect competition.

Arinian definitely brings up a good point about the lynch. However, half isn't really that difficult to get voting. All for the same person? That might be a little more difficult. :P I do think we need to have a lynch every Cycle and I think we should probably execute whoever we imprison very soon after, unless new evidence comes up for that persons innocence. We can't rely on roles for a little while, and even then, roles aren't as consistently useful as the lynch.

14 minutes ago, Magestar said:

-RP here-

Ok!  Lets get started. :D 

I, for one, will not be going for a Spren just yet.  First of all, I'm going to be trying to follow Balthazar around this game, and he's not ready for a Spren just yet, and second, so many people will be trying to get them that I'm not sure I want to waste stormlight just yet.  

About activity... Activity is always important.  And not only is the voting scheme in this game especially compelling, but without Honor, the village can't do a lot.  So, be active, people. :P 

I'm going to read over the rules again, and try to formulate some ideas, so I can contribute more.  So far, I like what I'm seeing.

I'll also try to be more active as time goes on, but life is pretty busy for me right now, as I've said elsewhere.  So my activity might not be as on point as I'd like.

There's no reason not to go for a Spren if you're a villager. You've only got one Action to use and I'd advise you to try and get a Spren as fast as possible if only to keep the Unjust from getting them. It's not wasting your Honor, since it doesn't go anywhere...

Hey, Almighty (Aman)! Yeah, you! I heard that reflection spren are really good at spotting other spren. Can they see Skybreaker spren too?

I'm insulted by everybody who says that liespren are useless. Obviously you've never had your secrets leaked by a nosy spren before. Storming busybodies, sticking their fingers in everyone's business. Seriously, they run the rumor mills in Shadesmar. Same for reflectionspren. They see everything, including what types of spren a Radiant has, even the ones that try to hide. Have you ever played hide-and-seek with a reflectionspren? No? Trust me, I'm a spren. I know what I'm talking about.

41 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Hey, Almighty (Aman)! they, you! I heard that reflection spren are really good at spotting other spren. Can they see Skybreaker spren too?

I'm insulted by everybody who says that liespren are useless. Obviously you've never had your secrets leaked by a nosy spren before. Storming busybodies, sticking their fingers in everyone's business. Seriously, they run the rumor mills in Shadesmar. Same for reflectionspren. They see everything, including what types of spren a Radiant has, even the ones that try to hide. Have you ever played hide-and-seek with a reflectionspren? No? Trust me, I'm a spren. I know what I'm talking about.

Jonly nodded along to the spren's words. Her thiughts on reflectionspren certainly matched his own, but he disagreed about Lie spren. Surely no one was as stupid as Sani had been, as to reveal all the digramosts in a supposedly secure message. Of course, reflectionspren would really be useufl if theuy could team up with an honour spren.

1 minute ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Jonly nodded along to the spren's words. Her thiughts on reflectionspren certainly matched his own, but he disagreed about Lie spren. Surely no one was as stupid as Sani had been, as to reveal all the digramosts in a supposedly secure message. Of course, reflectionspren would really be useufl if theuy could team up with an honour spren.

As I pointed earlier there can be some use for liespren.

As such, they know who their allies are and are allowed to communicate with them via a google doc, so long as they are alive and free.