Long Game 30: Journey Before Destination

Amanuensis

RP:

Spoiler

Today there was not much to do for me, I got all what belonged to me back (even dagger-sword, Aurius never failed in his part of deal). So all what is left for me it’s to waste time and wait for next Highstorm.

I stood in shadow and looked on line of Initiates, that’s was incredibly uplifting spectacle. Highprince Dalinar screamed commands on what they moved like a herd of sheep. In battle with such cooperation and without power of stormlight they surely would die.  Then Squires brought bridges, I smiled, their new visit on Shattered Plains promised to be even more entertaining than previous. I thought about that it might be worth to follow them (just for fun), but still I wanted to find Teilin and she surely was not on the plains.

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

@Ecthelion III, I assume you were saying that Kaladin carved a hole in the rock to hide or shelter in, and that the Voidbringers were closing in on him, or else the storm?  I hope what I did didn't mess with what you were planning (the italics are what you said, with one phrase taken out since Kintas wouldn't have been privy to Fifth's thoughts).

Fifth was not able to see connected events, just a series of ephemeral images. One was him sheltering in a hole in the rock, and another was him hanging from the edge of the plateau, the rock formation, or the hole he had carved, with the Voidbringers closing in. There's lots of room for interpretation; I wasn't planning anything specific after this point.

-

Seriously, let's hear something from Bridges Two and Three. What are you guys up to?

Edited by Ecthelion III

Apologies if the following piece of RP moves us forward in the timeline a bit to fast. If you feel that's the case, please say so, and I'll be open to changing or removing it.

Bridge One and their accompanying soldiers waited. Crimson lightning lit up the sky two plateaus away. The plateau they currently occupied had been turned into a bowl with a raised edge by water and wind, and the edges blocked view of what was happening beyond their plateau. They could see the horse-shaped rock formation rising above the ledge though. Two scouts had been send forward to observe, and where now hurrying back. Ranatar moved forward to overhear their report to the officer in charge of their group.

“There are at least a 100 Voidbringers that we can see up there, sir.” One of the scouts began once they’d reached their officer. “They currently surround the rock formation we believe Captain Stormblessed has taken refugee in. Part of their forces are obscured, but we estimate there could be another 40 where we can’t see them.”

“They are just surrounding it, not attacking?” The light-eyed officer asked.

“Yes sir.” The second scout responded. “There are a number of corpses around a shallow entrance into the rock formation. Barely one of the monsters can fit through at a time. Right now, they just stand there, and occasionally bombard the rock with lightning.” The man’s words where punctuated by another crimson flash and the rumbling of thunder.

“We’ve seen no sign of their Shardbearer, but-“ the first scout was cut off as another man came running up. He’d been part of a pair of scouts watching their flank.

“There’s a group of 20 Voidbringers hurrying towards the rock formation. They’re four plateaus out, and it looks like their Shardbearer is among them.” The man spoke quickly, barely bothering to salute first.

“Can we intercept them?” The officer asked.

The scout nodded, hesitantly. “We can. We’d have to do so on the plateau right to the north of the one with the main Voidbringer force though.”

The officer cursed softly. By now, Highpince Aladar had moved up to hear the report himself. He looked dangerous in his shardplate, but Ranatar knew he lacked the Blade to go with it. The officer quickly explained the situation to him.

While that happened, Ranatar quickly looked over their forces. Six initiates, 1 half shardbearer and a couple a hundred men. They outnumbered the Voidbrinegrs, but he doubted they outnumbered them by enough for a decisive win. If their leader managed to join up, the fight would be almost impossible, unless some of the initiates had progressed far further than they’d shown. It wasn’t the fight itself that worried him though, but-

“You, initiate.” The highprince was pointing at him. “Will you and the others be able to get the bridge onto the occupied plateau, no matter what the Voidbringers decide to throw at you?”

Ranatar knew the answer that was expected. He also knew the importance of honesty. “Sir, no amount of Stormlight will be able to protect us if we have to face the fury of all 100 of them while carrying a bridge. If- “

He was cut off as another scout joined the group. He’d been watching the other flank. “We’ve spotted bridges Two and Three, Brightlord. They're one plateau out and headed here."

The Highprince nodded, then turned back to Ranatar. “If you’re not facing their entire force, but merely a third?”

Ranatar nodded. “It could be done, I think, Brightlord.”

The Highpince nodded. “Then you and the other initiates should prepare.”

I'm going off now. I'm planning to try and be back shortly before turnover. If necessary, I'll change my vote then, or sling one on quiver if we do manage to pull through with the pardon.

Drake, Quiver.

Doc, I voted on Shqueeves because I legitimately suspect he could be an eliminator. I'm not going to remove my vote simply because he posted again. Unless he does something that changes my mind, my vote is staying on him. Or if a better target appears, but that seems unlikely, since the Cycle is almost over.

Still four more votes to go to pardon Drake if I'm counting correctly. Where are the people who haven't voted?

Edit:@Assassin in Burgundy@TheSilverDragon@JUQ@Shqueeves@The lazy anarchist@DroughtBringer@Elbereth, ya'll still have yet to vote, and this seems to be an important round for it.

Edited by Jondesu

Here's what Rae got from her spying. It's not much, but I figured I should put it here anyways.

First she spied on me and Jondesu. We only sent like 2 messages back and forth that cycle, and there isn't anything worth mentioning.

Next she spied on Doc and Arinian's PM when Arin was jailed. 

Arin tells Doc he can't PM players and that his PM with Doc is his only one. Doc says something about thinking Quiver is Unjust and he didn't want to lynch Arin, although he was conflicted about Arin's certainty that there's 4 Unjust. Doc offers to pass on a message to the thread for him. There was some off-topic stuff about LG28, MR17, and QF19. Oh, and Doc said he thought Arin might have killed Sheep because he was in prison(which I think we can confirm that he didn't kill Sheep, because he had to send in an Action to spend Honor to get his cultivationspren), but that he didn't think it was that likely.

That's about it. So, nothing terribly interesting.

I enjoy a good bandwagon! Drake, Quiver.

Okay so reasoning: People/person that I (mostly) trust has asked me to pardon Drake, and because of that I am going to. I will not be mentioning these/this person/people because I don't want to, and this way they are protected from anything else...plus I enjoy a good bandwagon.
Quiver practically almost got me killed, still annoyed about that...Petrik isn't though...so seems good to me.

Petrik struggled under the weight of the bridge. How did he get drawn into this? He had just been looking at becoming a Knight Radiant, and now everyone just assumed that he was one. Petrik did not want to go off on their suicidal missions, and die for them. 

The pain in his side shot across his body with every step that he took, the only thing stopping him from screaming was a piece of cloth he put in his mouth so he had something to bite down on. A small line of Pain spren trailed behind Petrik, and he hoped that he no one would notice them. He plodded along, silently begging for the pain to end.

Thought I had posted some RP before, but never got around to actually posting it, sorry for how late this is.

Alright, I said I would change my vote if it made sense, but at this point I'm confident not nearly enough people will log on and switch to execute, so if we don't get more pardon votes, we're stuck. Nothing much we can do about that now. Crossing my fingers, and hoping Aman has a good RP prompt that I can jump on tomorrow (I'll come up with something either way, hopefully).

Despite the extra 24 hours, I haven't been able to come up with any RP. :(  I still hope to get some up but it's not looking good.

The lack of votes this cycle for pardoning Drake shows that we need to cull the Inactives.  However since the only inactive with a vote on them is JUQ and voting for them will only give us a three way tie, I'll instead vote for Shqueeves as of the two players leading the votes, he is the one most likely to go fully inactive.

I think this is how the votes add up:

Pardon Drake(11/14): Doc, HH, Jon, Alv, Rand, Ari, Mage, Shqu, Joe, Lopen, Drought

Execute Quiver(8/9): Ari, Alv, Shqu, Joe, Mage, HH, Lopen, Drought

@Doc12, @Jondesu, @randuir, mind adding the final vote to execute Quiver? Doesn't look like we're gonna be able to pardon Drake sadly. Even though we got an extra 24 hours. :/

He was drowning..

A sea of beads, tiny, dark glass spheres, an entire ocean of those spheres. They surged around him, moving in an undulating swell. Hithon would have screamed, if not for the beads surging against his mouth. To open his mouth would be to choke and die. He was descending through this churning, suffocating, clattering mass. And he had to fight with all his strength the urge to panic, to thrash and flail and drown, forcing himself to focus on his surroundings. 

It was cold. There seemed to be no sun. Stormlight warmed him, his own spheres bright in his minds eye, and he felt himself assailed by wave after wave of the beads seekign to destroy him. 

His wildly reaching hands grasped handfuls of spheres, and what he saw almost made him stop fighting in shock. He...he saw. Impressions, clear as sight, flashing against his mind. Simplistic, yet clear. A sword. A rock. A shoe. Touching a bead, he sensed the enormous Bridge 2, seeing it for the first time in his mind. And then something happened. Warmth left him. Light. The bead that was the Bridge...it had stolen something from him. It had taken some of his stormlight!

Then he felt the beads moving again, not surging against him anymore, but against the bead that was the Bridge. Somehow, he felt them connecting, sticking together, until they formed a great solid mass of beads, and it was a mass in the form of a giant bridge. He saw it so[/] clearly now, in his mind’s eye, and he was able to step on it, and he wasn’t drowning anymore.

The Bridge...it was asking him something. He...he felt as if he should understand. But he didn’t. 

How was he to get out of here? His spheres were dun. The last of the light shining in him, growing fainter with every passing second. 

Then. a presence. The same one that had been watching him. Twisting curiosity, shining like the sun. Radiating mystery and promise. It came near him, and he felt its gaze on him. He tensed.

It is asking you if you want it to change.

The voice took him by surprise. Slow, considered, with a slight feminine lilt. Whirling, he almost lost his concentration, and he felt the bridge he was standing on waver.

“Change?” He demanded.

the voice hummed, and it sounded...felt...familiar

You are not ready. I intercede...translate, for you. Do you want it to change?  

The voice seemed worried. You should not be in here. It is not safe for you. For us. 

Hithon considered. He had no idea what he was doing, but change seemed to be a good option now, anything to escape from this situation he was utterly lost in. And. His stormlight was running out. He was growing cold. Something needed to change. ”Yes. Make it change."

Surprise. Amusement. Ambitious, to seek to change something so complex. Are you sure you have the Light?

A pause, then it spoke again. I am a Bridge. I carry and am carried. I serve and have been served. I will not change.

Was that what the bridge was actually saying? Could...Did the bridge even have thoughts? In another time, he would have been fascinated, but he was growing desperate. "You will change for me, Hithon of House Thindir. You will change, and  you will release me."

ConfusionYou wish it to...release?

Hithon was growing so cold. "Yes, yes!"

The voice was growing worried, but still it relayed the message. I will change. 

Hithon gasped as he felt his remaining Stormlight sucked away, ripped away from him into the bead he was holding. His Stormlight vanished, and the bridge of beads he had been standing on dissolved once more into a sea, and he fell. Fell into that awful blackness, those millions of moving beads moving to consume him. That icy cold worming its way into his heart. This time, he gave into panic, and started flailing, thrashing, the scream building up in his throat.

Panic now, the voice was frenzied. 

You need to leave!!!

He still didn't know what happened. He had been thrown, it seemed. Or he had thrown himself. In any case, the beads around him exploded into the physical realm, and he felt himself dropped on the rock hard floor again, the burning sun a welcome heat across his back. The awful darkness fading away into a memory.

"Wait!" He shouted, uncaring of who heard. "Wait!" Before that world faded completely. "Who are you?!"

A laugh. Anorien, the voice said. I will be with you. And nothing remained of the realm he had just visited. 

Right. So, what I was trying to convey in this RP was that of Hithon visiting Shadesmar, and first finding Anorien. For those in Bridge 2, the bridge would have started turning into smoke, but stopped because Hithon ran out of Stormlight. And now he's out, and probably left alone somewhere, heh. I stayed up until three doing this last night >>

So I left this post too late, and there's no use voting anymore. Looks like Quiver dies this cycle anyway, which is good. Less good is what's going to happen to Drake. Hopefully the valorspren ends up in good hands. Well. 

And the cycle just ended. Well done Doc, your timing is impeccable.

See you guys on the other side of the rollover :(

Edited by Doc12

JpPCXA4HovAvcsR-qqFenWkdjIpZ68DpwgWul2xk

Kaladin was tired of running.

All his spheres dun, the man could not heal. He was bruised, sore, but fortunately had no wounds that bled, save for a few abrasions that made his skin wet and red. Aside from the relentless exhaustion that followed the use of too much Stormlight, his only real problem was a lack of fine motor skills. Although his head ached like it was split in half, he had no other signs of a concussion, so the difficulty he had controlling his hands and feet must have come from the Voidbringer’s lightning itself.

Whatever the blast of electricity had done to him, he hoped it could be reversed. Not only did it make it hard for him to wield Syl, but it made him clumsy, too. It took nearly all his focus not to trip as he fled from his pursuers, and even then, he still found himself staggering into the chasm walls.

It was a miracle Kaladin had survived at all. Syl mentioned that she had something to do with it, although he did not understand how. He’d have asked for details if she didn’t seem so exhausted herself. The spren had never been anything but energetic, but whatever stunt she pulled had drained her and left her struggling to stay awake.

Kaladin let her sleep in the pocket on his chest. He might not be able to rest, but that didn’t mean she needed to suffer, too.

In a way, Kaladin had the Voidbringer’s storm to thank for getting him this far. If not for the flood sweeping him away from Narak, he was certain the monsters would have tore him limb from limb.

He just wished he wasn’t so helpless. Without Syl or Stormlight, Kaladin was doomed if the Voidbringers ever caught up to him.

Shortly after waking up, his body jammed into a crevasse several meters off the ground, he had run into a pair of Voidbringers. The battle was less than pretty, but somehow he came out of it alive.

It made him realize that he couldn’t return to the Oathgate. The monsters would surely be watching it, waiting for him to show his face. It also made him realize he couldn’t simply hide and hope for help. The Voidbringers knew the Shattered Plains better than him. Anywhere he could hide they would surely check first. That left him with only one option.

Run. As far and fast as he possibly could.

The earth shook and thunder resounded behind him, waking Syl from her nap and urging Kaladin to move quicker.

ECIOJ8OEpvpu5_PG8oHGsudxOi3EXg48X9lBsvcc

Eshonai and her allies hummed to the Rhythm of Craving as they leapt from one plateau to another.

Judging by the number of Listeners gathered in the distance, her group was the last one to arrive. Around the time her kin began summoning the storm, she found a camp of human refugees in the chasms, and attacked in case the Radiant was hiding among them. It wasn’t a long or difficult battle, more of a slaughter than it was a skirmish, but it kept them from noticing the signal. Given that it was still brewing in the sky, she figured that meant the Radiant was still alive, not that she understood why. Melu was there and Eshonai knew the woman wanted the glory of killing the Alethi herself. What was taking so long?

Those who weren’t busy maintaining the storm were casting lightning at a massive stone that looked a lot like those monstrous horses that Blackthorn and his son would ride into battle. For that reason, her scouts had named the landmark Rysharock. It was a good place to hide, for a lone man. The cavern within it was large enough that three people could live in it comfortably, and it had only a single entrance, so thin that even Venli would have to turn her body to squeeze through it. If Eshonai had to guess, the Radiant was probably using his sprenspear to keep anyone from getting in, hence the listeners attempts at knocking it down.

All they needed to do was get the roof to collapse. Eshonai would then use her Shardblade to carve a path inside and finish the deed herself, if he wasn't dead already. The Radiant might as well already be a corpse.

Rapidly approaching an exceptionally wide chasm, Eshonai concentrated her power into her legs, causing them to spark with crimson energy, and prepared to leap. When she did, she jumped higher than she ever had before. High enough that she didn’t land until she was halfway across the next plateau, and high enough that she saw two armies worth of Alethi converging just beyond it.

She recognized the colors and the banners. Blackthorn had come to rescue his prized soldier, it seemed. Barking an order at her soldiers to hasten their pace, she resolved to reach Rysharock first and kill the Radiant before Dalinar had the chance to attack.

“Lift!”

Grumbling, Jonly followed the command, tapping iron to brace himself and pewter to bolster his strength, careful not to let his swelling muscles grow too much, so that to the casual observer it would just look like he was flexing. The feruchemical combination made hefting the Bridge onto his shoulder easy, although the weight gain made it harder for him to run. Fortunately the other Initiates were moving slower than he was in spite of the Bloodlight flowing through their veins.

It wasn’t that he had a problem taking orders from Ranatar. He actually respected the man, or more specifically, the cold, calculating monster that he became in situations like this. He just resented the order itself, as it meant he had to waste more of his feruchemical reserves carrying this rusting thing. He’d use Bloodlight like the rest of them, but for whatever reason, it resisted him unless his life was on the line.

Running towards the next chasm, he pondered why that was. He knew that it was hard to mix different sources of investiture. Was it possible that taking the power of the Well had change his soul permanently? If so, he could see Honor’s power struggling to bypass Preservation. They were both stubborn as far as Intents went, but the inherent nature of Preservation was stagnation. Letting another force alter Jonly for any other reason than his survival would betray that, certainly.

Satisfied with the conclusion, he focused on the task at hand.

“Drop!” Ranatar yelled. Jonly, Fifth, Sareth and Kintas obeyed. Without being asked, each man ran behind the bridge and leaned against it. When Ranatar joined them and gave the next command, they pushed the bridge over the chasm with controlled might. Too hard and it would fly onto the plateau. Too soft and it would fall into the chasm below. Over the last few hours, their team had become rather efficient at properly measuring their strength.

Perhaps today wasn’t a complete waste, after all.

Hearing the stampede of footsteps behind him, Jonly didn’t linger behind the bridge for long. Running out of the soldier’s way, he found Rea who watched the Voidbringers, his soft face emotionless, but his eyes hinting terror.

“Rea,” Jonly called the boy’s name as softly as he could, though by the way the boy jumped, he was sure it sounded like a growl all the same. “Can I have some water, please?”

Too small to help carrying the bridge, they designated Rea as their water boy, though he often forgot the task. Nervous, he fumbled through the satchel at his side, searching for a fresh waterskin.

“Here,” he said, though he sounded more like a she. At what age did Alethi boys reach puberty, anyway?

Taking a long gulp, Jonly breathed out a sound of relief. “Thanks,” he said, trying not to sound scary. Rea’s eyes looked more scared, still.

Whatever. He didn’t care that he scared children, and there was someone shouting his name anyway.

Ranatar.

“Jonly, Rea. After Highprince Aladar’s men finish crossing, we need to follow them over and regroup with the other Initiates. A few of us should stay behind to protect the bridge in case the Voidbringers try to cut off our escape, but I have a feeling that Dalinar is going to want our help. Would you two mind holding back? I can see if anyone else wants to assist you if you don’t feel comfortable defending this location on your own.”

“Fine,” barked Jonly. Rea jumped a little, though Ranatar didn’t even blink at his tone. Yes, that man truly was a monster, no matter how harmless he looked.

Apparently satisfied, Ranatar ran off to join Fifth and Sareth. Where had Kintas run off to? Not that Jonly really cared.

Across the plateau, Aladar’s soldiers formed a line. The Voidbringers had noticed their arrival and begun hurtling bolts of hate at them. They were monsters too, though not the kind Jonly could respect. Odium, on the other hand…

Absently, Jonly wondered if he’d ever meet Him.

Turning to Rea, he opened his mouth to tell the boy to follow, but just waved his hand towards the bridge instead and running for it, hoping the boy wasn’t frozen by his fear. Already soldiers were dying, and the men belonging to Kholin hadn’t even finished joining them, yet. As soon as Jonly crossed the bridge, a scorched, twitching corpse fell a few meters away from him with a sickening crunch, cast into the air by a bolt of lightning that crashed into the earth beneath his now bloody, stumpy feet.

Jonly didn’t bother to check his pulse. If the man was still alive, there was no way he’d survive wounds like those, and so he just ran to the man, slung him over his shoulder, and brought him to the chasm, passing Rea on the way. The boy looked confused, then disgusted, as Jonly threw the seizing man into the pit below.

If he was still alive then, he wouldn’t be when he hit the ground.

Jonly would explain his actions to the boy if he thought it might allieve his fear. It was important that the plateau was uncluttered in case the soldiers needed to make a hasty retreat. Wouldn’t do them any good if there were men they had to jump and potentially trip over.

Behind him, another soldier fell from the sky. Fortunately for Rea, this one had his head blown off and thus was definitely dead. Still, the boy looked like he wanted to throw up when Jonly grabbed the corpse and threw it over the ledge.

The sounds of battle filled his ears. So the soldiers had finally gathered and began their attack, then. He heard a crash and spun, thinking he’d find another singed soldier.

Instead, he found a bright flash of light, and when it faded, a prison cell.

What?

“Turn off that light!” Uther yelled, shielding his eyes from whatever that intense glowing was. Unable to sleep the night before, he was finally trying to catch up on lost time. Between this and the snoring, Veriq was probably the worst cellmate in the world.

When he responded only with a frightened yelp, Uther finally raised himself from his bed and looked.

It was the strangest thing. At Veriq’s feet, a ring of light was forming, although the proper way to describe the process was more like it was being spun into existence. “Help me!” he yelled. Uther didn’t understand why he didn’t try stepping through the ring, let alone over it. He acted like his body was locked inside it, a cell within a cell.

The ring… it was growing brighter and taller at an accelerating rate. By the time Uther leapt out from underneath his covers, it was too late. The ring had become a cylinder, covering Veriq completely and cutting off his screams, the light so bright that Uther had too look away or else risk permanent damage to his eyes.

“What?”

Was that voice…

“Jonly?”

Blinking, Uther watched the man in disbelief. Warily, the man stepped forward, out of the afterimage left behind by the cylinder.

“How the rusts did I get here?”

“Funny, I was about to ask you the same thing.”

While Adolin and Aladar were busy giving orders to the soldiers, Dalinar, Renarin and Shallan gathered the Squires and the Initiates.

“Teft? How is he?”

“Alive, sir, but still weak. And that rock he’s hiding in…”

“Doesn’t look like it’ll stand many more lightning strikes,” finished Skar.

Drehy and Leyten almost made a move to run, but Dalinar halted them with his hand. “During the Battle in Stormseat, Adolin used his Blade to cut a path through a crem-crusted building, allowing him to flank the Voidbringers and turn the tide of battle. Today, I’ll need Shallan here to do the same, only this time she will be opening an exit for Kaladin to escape through.

“Problem is, that rock is surrounded on all sides and looks like it’s going to collapse soon. I need you all, with the help of the Squires and my son, to break through the Voidbringers and protect Shallan as she extracts your Captain to safety. I’ll try to help you as best I can, but it seems by powers aren’t very helpful in situations like this. Do you understand your orders?”

In unison, the Initiates shouted “Yes sir!” In contrast to their response the night before, it seemed a day carrying bridges had developed a sense of oneness in them.

“Then move!”

Sareth swung his staff low, knocking several Voidbringers off their feet. Though his weapon wasn’t very good at killing, it was more than efficient at distracting and disabling his opponents, leaving them open for his allies to finish.

The felled Voidbringers regained their senses and began to rise, chanting furiously, their arms crackling with scarlet energy.

“Fifth?” he asked. “Kintas?”

When no one responded, he clutched one end of his staff in two hands and began swinging, aiming for the Voidbringer’s head.

The first one he hit fell back to the floor with a crunch, a chitinous protrusion on its face having been shattered on impact. The thing wasn’t bleeding from the wound, but it also wasn’t moving, which was a good sign.

Pleased, Sareth spun on another Voidbringer, though this one managed to deflect the blow with its shoulder, flipping onto its stomach. Still very much alive, but stunned momentarily all the same.

In the corner of his eye, another Voidbringer had scrambled to its feet and lunged at Sareth. He noticed too late to perform a counter attack, but Sareth had just enough time to step out of the way. Despite the ground being wet, he could still feel the soil packed into the souls of his boots crunching with every step.

Narrowly he avoided that attack, but as a pair of Voidbringers stalked towards him, teeth bared like a snarling axehound, he wondered how much longer he could last like this without any help.

Backing away, he stumbled over a dead Voidbringer, its face caved in and its left arm severed at the elbow. Who killed this one, and when?

Looking left, then right, he saw nothing but Voidbringers surrounding him, though most were facing outward. Some were chanting and blasting the rock Stormblessed was hiding. Others were fighting Initiates that Sareth couldn’t see over their tall, broad shoulders.

Then he looked back and spotted two of his teammates. One was staring directly at him, while the other fought off a pair of Voidbringers on their own.

“Truth be Told!” he shouted. “For a moment there I thought myself doomed.”

The Initiate smiled.

“Sareth-son-Erneth, before you became a Truthseeker, you were nothing but a leach. You stole from the labors of others, feasting on the fruits of their fields. When your transgressions were finally discovered, you lied to the authorities. Your methods changed from stealing food to stealing money, becoming hungrier for more every day, until eventually you assaulted an unarmed man, then took everything he had, even the cloak on his back. Including his most cherished possession: a book. The very same book you’ve dedicated your whole life to since.”

It was true, though it was a perverse version of it, if Sareth had any say in the matter.

“You don’t understand. My family was poor, starving. I did what I needed to do so they’d survive. And the Truthseeker… yes, I intended to rob the man, but he gave those things to me. Is it really thievery then?”

A Voidbringer grabbed Sareth’s foot and began to drag him away. “Why are you just standing there!” he yelled, kicking at the monster with his free leg, trying to pull the other free. “Help me!”

“I will,” the Initiate said, drawing a dagger from their belt and readying to throw it. Only they seemed to be aiming it a little low…

“Oh no,” Sareth breathed.

The other Initiate finished their enemy off with a sword through the chest, then turned to face them.

“Help!” Sareth yelled, though the Initiate turned a blind eye.

“Let justice be done,” the Initiate holding the dagger said confidently. A flick of the wrist later, and the weapon was gone. Sareth could only watch in horror as it buried itself in his brain.

Several days ago, in a place that’s both a little bit and very far away...

The Phantom Stranger scowled. He should have killed Hashiv when he had the chance. The fool seemed to be blabbering to everyone that his powers had been stolen. A lot of good they did the Stranger, anyway. For some reason the Stormlight resisted him whenever he breathed, and didn’t seem as effective with him as it did the others. Maybe he needed to bond a spren before it would obey him properly.

Well that can come at another time. For now, I have a loose end in need of being tied.

Finally, the Phantom Stranger found Hashiv huddled in one of the dark hallways, crammed between the wall and an archway. There was an insane look in his eyes. One that the Phantom Stranger was too familiar with seeing, back where he came from. Surely the Spike hadn’t had that much of an effect on the poor lad?

Sitting next to Hashiv, the Phantom Stranged sighed deeply. He stared at the Purelaker for a while, head cocked and expression curious. When he finally collected his thoughts, he stood back up and began to approach the lad, a frown adorning his shaking head, a knife in his hand.

“I really, truly am sorry.”

No amount of apologies could make up for what he did next.

Edited by Amanuensis

CHAPTER SEVEN

Leif has been arrested! He was Guilty of Not Telling the GM his Crimes!

Sareth has been murdered! He was an Honorable Initiate!

Hashiv has been murdered, and the Phantom Stranger has taken his place!

Veriq was teleported out of prison!

Jonly was teleported into prison!

Two Bonds have been formed!

I feel like this write up wasn't particularly fun or interesting, just me setting the scene. It doesn't help that I'm exhausted from this past week, so hopefully I'll get enough rest over the next few days so that I can produce a worthy conclusion to this arc.

Now that you aren't busy running for your lives, this confrontation with the "Last Legion" should be more fun. It's an all out battle this time, and with the support of Dalinar and Aladar's army, will likely be the last.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Shqueeve's on his character's crimes. For now, we'll just assume that Leif deserted the Initiates before the battle. I will probably have him be found / officially arrested during the next chapter, even though he's as good as imprisoned this one.

Oh, and that very last scene. DA wrote most it, though I did some minor editing. He wanted people to know that Hashiv is officially dead and his character from now will solely be the Phantom Stranger. I don't have an exact time for when it happened in relation to everything, but let's assume it was that first night, when Hashiv was Spiked and Kintas tried to help him, meaning TPS should now be at the battle with ya'll.

INTERROGATION

(3) Shqueeves: TheMightyLopen, Arinian, Alvron,

(2) Darkness Ascendant: Jondesu, Hemalurgic_Headshot,

(1) JUQ: randuir,

EXECUTION

(1/9) Drake Marshall: Ecthelion III,
(10/9) Quiver: Arinian, Alvron, Shqueeves, A Joe in the Bush, Magestar, Hemalurgic_Headshot, TheMightyLopen, Droughtbringer, Jondesu, randuir,

PARDON

(12/14) Drake Marshall: Doc12, Hemalurgic_Headshot, Jondesu, AlvronranduirArinianMagestar, Shqueeves, A Joe in the Bush, TheMightyLopen, Droughtbringer, The lady anarchist,

INITIATES

1. Assassin in Burgundy as Araon Darkblade

2. Jondesu as Kintas

3. randuir as Ranatar

4. TheSilverDragon as Rea

5. Ecthelion III as Fifth Nameless

6. Arinian as Arionium, Guilty of Murder, Fraud, and Multiple Counts of Theft

7. JUQ as Hess

8. Quiver as Veriq, Guilty of Cowardice and Being an Accomplice to Murder, Temporarily Free

9. Doc12 as Hithon

10. Magestar as Balthazar

11. TheMightyLopen as Shinon

12. The lazy anarchist as Lyna Telavalet

13. Alvron as Naihar

14. DroughtBringer as Petrik

15. Darkness Ascendant as The Phantom Stranger

16. Elbereth as Tintallë Iurnu

PRISONERS

1. Teresh, Guilty of Murder, Murder and More Murder!
  2. Leif, Guilty of Desertion and Other Things
  3. Jonly, Temporarily Imprisoned

CASUALTIES

1. Lomot the Honorable Initiate
  2. Ashetvl the Honorable Initiate
  3. Ralaanar the Honorable Lightweaver
  4. Sareth-son-Erneth the Honorable Initiate

COUNTDOWN

Chapter Seven will end on Tuesday, February 28th, at 0400 EST. Chapter Eight will begin approximately 2 hours later

tur_1488272400.png

Edited by Amanuensis

Wait, Drake maintains his bond? I thought he said he was going to lose it... I'm also very confused about the teleportation in and out of jail. Not so much the how, since I assume it's the Elsecaller's power, but why they apparently wanted Quiver to remain alive, and to imprison Jonly (Joe). My best guess is that our Elsecaller is an Unjust, trying to make our job harder by keeping an inactive out of prison, though that makes Sheep's killing even weirder. Perhaps they just hadn't decided on the right approach yet.

@AmanuensisShould we be pardoning Jonly now? Or will the wardens of the prison eventually realize that they've got the wrong guy in there and set him free?

edit: wrong mention

edit2: do we even want to pardon Joe? I guess we do, as he's been somewhat active, and despite choosing to bandwagon on a couple of his votes hasn't sown anything to indicate he's an elim.

Edited by randuir

15 minutes ago, randuir said:

@AmanuensisShould we be pardoning Jonly now? Or will the wardens of the prison eventually realize that they've got the wrong guy in there and set him free?

edit: wrong mention

Regarding Teleporting players in and out of prison. This swap is temporary, lasting only a single Chapter, so at the start of Chapter Eight, Veriq will be imprisoned again and Jonly set free. Since this ruling makes it so Elsecallers can block executions, I will only allow a single Elsecaller to pull that off twice before they get caught in the act, their identity being revealed to the thread just like a Stoneward who protected a player from execution.

Edited by Amanuensis

13 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Regarding Teleporting players in and out of prison. This swap is temporary, lasting only a single Chapter, so at the start of Chapter Eight, Veriq will be imprisoned again and Jonly set free.

Okay, so Jonly will get freed automatically. Good, that saves us a discussion. It might be a smart idea to have a stonewarden block him though, as this could be a two-turn setup for a hit on Jonly by the elims.

Or... @Amanuensis, could an imprisoned elsecaller switch someone in and someone out of prison? Or would he have to target two prisoners?

Kintas was far from his element. He belonged in a study, or maybe a laboratory, making observations and soaking in knowledge. He longed for a chance to spend time discussing fabrial science with Shallan, or the calculations of the Stormwardens with Ranatar, or even just getting a chance to study some of the spren or the local fauna and flora.

Instead, he whirled about again, bringing down a Voidbringer while allowing one to pass behind him. Kintas wasn't even entirely sure how he was still alive, but the Stormlight surging through him certainly kept him energized beyond what he was used to. There might be a price to pay, but he no longer needed to sit by and let others play hero. He tossed one of his prepared ropes at another Parshendi, satisfied by the way it bound the creature's hand to its side, and moved on. He didn't need to kill them necessarily, just move them away from Shallan's path. Right now, he was achieving that mostly through the terrifying and unintended task of drawing their attention to himself, and spending a lot of effort just trying not to get skewered. A few Parshendi had gemstones woven into their beards that were still invested; he drew on those occasionally, but most of the Parshendi didn't wear them or had only dun gems in their beards. They must have been aware of the danger. It wasn't enough to keep Kintas alive permanently, but it let him heal some wounds that would have been potentially crippling otherwise.

Spinning again, he stumbled and landed hard on one knee. He steadied himself on a rock and prepared to move again, but then he noticed what he'd stumbled over.

Sareth lay on the ground, pale and unmoving, a dagger buried in his eye and deep into his brain. Kintas didn't even have to check his pulse or breathing to know that even with Stormlight, the Shin man was dead. He filed away mentally a note that the dagger was unlike anything he'd seen the Voidbringers wielding, and the dead Voidbringer still hanging onto Sareth's feet had been killed by a sword, which Sareth had not been carrying. There was more here than just a battle wound, but Kintas didn't have time to think it over right then. He scrambled back to his feet and hauled Sareth's body onto his shoulder, running back and dumping it somewhat unceremoniously on the plateau where Dalinar's troops protected him from the Voidbringers that otherwise might have tried to bring down the Blackthorn, then began to run back into the battle.

Suddenly, everything flashed red and white, and the ground crashed into Kintas' head. His last conscious thought was that the shalebark he landed on was a strange shade of brownish gray he hadn't see often.