Long Game 30: Journey Before Destination

Amanuensis

This game looks awesome.

I really want to sign up for it.

My only concern is that I might not have the time, because AG3 is going on right now... On the other hand, the cycles for this are three days long, which seems manageable.

Well, I'll consider putting together an introduction. If I finish AG3 soon I'll definitely try and participate.

Just wanted to announce that my forum issues are over for now. Included in the spoiler tag is my character's intro RP. It is identical to the text of the word document I had posted before, but I wanted it to be slightly more accessible.

Spoiler

(I assumed the ceremony Dalinar held was something he did with some regularity as more people came to Urithiru.)

Ranatar looked up from his notes. The demonstration by the Radiant and his squires had, as usual, brought a crowd of hopefuls to meet with Highprince Kholin and find out they weren’t Radiant material. Ranatar thought he even saw one or two people in line who had been rejected in the days before. He watched the first three knights-to-be get rejected, then turned his attention back to his calculations. He’d nearly finished the second refinement of his new storm model, adding the likely increased slowdown the storms would suffer over the ocean now that not one but three Highstorms where circling the planet. One Further refinement would be needed to account for the Everstorm colliding with the old and new Highstorm, and to calculate where these collisions would take place.

Ranatar had nearly reached a breakthrough on a particularly complicated term regarding the amount of water the Storms where likely to take up when Dalinars voice thundered throughout the room and interrupted his thoughts. “Before you stands Lomot. He has spoken the First Ideal, and light reveals that his heart is worthy of the Oath. Thus an Initiate is sworn to serve. For the good of Man, and for the good of Roshar.”

‘No way. One of them actually passed the test?’ Ranatar thought as he observed the man standing with Dalinar. He’d observed several such sessions before, but this had been the first time anyone had passed. As far as he knew, anyway.

As the cheering following the Initiate’s inauguration died down, Ranatar tried to get back to his work, but his attention kept wandering back to the tests. Six more came forward, swore the oaths and where found unworthy. Despite this, he couldn’t force himself to get back to his work. He would be done in another couple of days.  Furthermore, if his model was correct, it would make him one of the more important men in Urithiru, at least until his fellow Stormwardens where able to understand his method and copy it reliably. He knew that being the only person to be able to predict the Highstorms would force a lot of people to rely on him. Ranatar also knew that he wasn’t worthy of that trust.

‘I could go, stand in line and swear the oaths. I would never become an Initiate, but at least the oaths would discourage further abuses of my postion.’ Ranatar didn’t know where the thought had come from and tried to dismiss it. He doubted a simple set of words would be able to stop him if he got pushed too far.

And yet the thought didn’t leave him alone. He watched several more people get rejected, unable to concentrate on his own work. ‘Okay, if this next man is found worthy, I’ll go and say the words myself. Otherwise, I’ll get out of here and finish my work in my room.’ The thought had only just finished forming when the man leaned towards the glowing gem and breathed in the Stormlight.

As he waited in line, Ranatar had time to think over the words. ‘Strength before weakness’ was easy to understand, and ‘Life before death’ didn’t leave much room for interpretation either. ‘Journey before destination’ was another matter though. He supposed most things could be considered a journey of sorts. His current work was a journey to finding the new rhythm of the storms. He couldn’t find an example for which the words made sense though. All Journeys where about their destination. If he could skip the theorizing and calculating and just get a correct Storm model he’d do that in an instant. And wasn’t the whole point of those oathgates to skip the literal journey and get to the destination immediately?

The more he thought about it, the less sense it made. Anything that lets you skip the work, pain and effort to get to where you needed to be was a good thing, right? …Right? An unbidden mental image of a stormwall sweeping over a mostly abandoned plain came to his mind, followed by understanding. Journey before destination foremost meant that the end does not justify the means! As he came to this realization, Ranatar realized that the woman in front of him had finished, and failed, the test, and it was now his turn.

Ranatar thought he saw some surprise in Dalianr’s eyes. Maybe he was surprised that the Stormwarden who had been quietly observing proceedings had finally decided to step forward. Or maybe it was the idea that a heterochromatic bastard like Ranatar believed himself worthy to be a radiant. It didn’t matter. He wasn’t here to become a radiant, merely to bind his hands with an oath he was unlikely to break.

“Life before death, Strength before weakness.” Ranatar paused a moment before speaking the most important of the three. “Journey before destination”. There, it was done.

Dalinar held a Diamond Broam out to him. “Breath deep, and we’ll know if your heart is true.”

‘I know it isn’t, but thanks anyway for bothering to check’, Ranatar thought, but held his tongue. He breathed in as the Bondsmith had commanded, then blinked in confusion. The diamond broam had gone dark and a new strength had awoken inside of him.

And after a longer than anticipated hiatus from the forum, I'm back :D

Spoiler

Rea fidgeted impartiality in line, his left hand stuffed in his pocket, the other rapidly tapping an unknown rhythm on his thigh.  He bent his head around the burly man in front of him, trying to see how much longer he had to wait until he could say the oaths. Storms, he thought, there's too many in front of me. It's going to take forever. He sighed and let his eyes wander about in boredom. He instantly saw thee kids kicking around a small songling shell. He took another glance at the line in front of him, and then made up his mind to go join the little game of kick'n'sing. As he turned to go a small part of himself forced him to stay. You can't give up now, he told himself. Not like all the other times you've tried to do this. He mulled this over. It was true that he had been this close three times already, but it had just been so boring that each time he had abandoned the line to do something more fun. You can't just abandon your spot in line again! He thought to himself. Yes, yes I can. He argued back. And there's nothing you can do. Rea shuffled his feet forwards as he continued to argue with himself. 

... and therefore because pie is such a good dessert, I must leave the -- Rea's well thought-out argument for turning around was interrupted by a slight cough in front of him. His focus quickly came back to his surrounding, and saw a large white step in front of him. His gaze drifted up to the top where the cough had originated from, and saw standing on the raised platform a large striking figure,  Dalinar Kholin himself.  Rea jumped a bit when he realized that he was in the front of the line. 

He quickly jumped up the steps to meet the highprince, and promptly tripped  over the last step, falling face first into platform. Rea slowly got up to one knee, and rubbed his forehead, were he was sure a bruise would form. This is all your fault, he mentally shouted at the part of him who wanted to stay. We'll talk about this later.  

"Hello," Rea managed to squeak out in a much higher voice then he wanted. "Um, hi?"

"Speak the Words," the highprince told him, a small smile of pity forming on Dalinar's lips. Rea had to stop herself from blurting out 'The Words' but managed to keep it inside as a wave of nervusness overtook her. Ok, I've got this. Rea told himself, his heartbeat increasing. They're just words. Anyone can say them, right? 

"Strength before- um, wait, that's not it." Storm you nerves, me an you are going to have a long talk after this. 

"Life before Death?" He tried again. It sounded right. Now what's next? "StrengthBeforeWeaknessJourneyBeforeDestination," he blurted out before he could forget them. The highprince before him held out his hand, a small glowing sphere resting in his palm. 

"Breath deep, and we’ll know if your heart is true." A sarcastic comment about him being alive meant that his heart was very much real came to mind but Rea thought better of saying it in front of a highprince and instead took a deep breath.

He looked on in awe as the light of the sphere went dark, and as Rea's whole world suddenly snapped into sharp focus. He felt so alive! It felt like he had been asleep before this, and now was just finally waking up. The normal urge to go and do something was even greater now then ever, and it took all the force he could muster not to go run down the steps and find something to do other then just sit around. 

"What's your name, Initiate?" Asked Dalinar. 

"Rea," the boy responded, a puff of light escaping his mouth. "Just Rea."

"Very well then, turn around so I might show the world who you are." The highprince paused for a second before adding "and do try not to trip."

Edited by TheSilverDragon
Fixing spoiler

8 minutes ago, Quiver said:

...'kay, so, thinking about it, I might just have a character concept in mind. I'll try and get a post up in a day or two... though I admit, I am not very good at writing or roleplaying, so, um... yeah. Sorry in advance. 

No worries! Take your time. There's still a few days before the game begins (and perhaps a little more, as I may delay the game's beginning depending on how many people are ready + how far the AG3 has progressed by then). And for the record, I don't think I'm very good at writing or roleplaying either, and that's the wonderful thing about participating in games like this, as the more you do it, the better you get.

Also, just as a reminder (and in case some of you didn't fully read or comprehend the rules), @Conquestor, @Shqueeves, @Manukos, @Drake Marshall, @Darkness Ascendant, @Ecthelion III, I'll need that 200 word (or longer if you'd like) character introduction in order to officially add you to the player list :) 

Edited by Amanuensis

29 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

No worries! Take your time. There's still a few days before the game begins (and perhaps a little more, as I may delay the game's beginning depending on how many people are ready + how far the AG3 has progressed by then). And for the record, I don't think I'm very good at writing or roleplaying either, and that's the wonderful thing about participating in games like this, as the more you do it, the better you get.

Also, just as a reminder (and in case some of you didn't fully read or comprehend the rules), @Conquestor, @Shqueeves, @Manukos, @Drake Marshall, @Darkness Ascendant, @Ecthelion III, I'll need that 200 word (or longer if you'd like) character introduction in order to officially add you to the player list :) 

I'm not the best at writing(I'm better at math), but I have a character and will probably have it up by the end of the day (~10:00pm Mountain time zone)

Same character introduction as the previous game, for above reasons.

Tyrian Falls.

The hooded figure had finally reached his destination.

He (or she; it was impossible to tell) walked slowly but deliberately past the houses and milling people. There was chaos, all right; news of Ruin and the Spiked had finally reached their ears. But that was not why he was here.

He surveyed the scene as he walked, and finally he came to his destination: an innocuous-looking tree. It was impossible to tell anything different about that tree from the others, save for two details. First, one of the branches was bent slightly down, as if pulled down by a heavy weight. And second, there was a pattern on the grass under the tree. Though faint, some of the blades of grass were slightly greener than others, as if they had been more watered, making a sort of symbol on the ground:

16105600_612241445635919_785185600777192

It's strange, the hooded figure thought, what happens when one of us falls.... But this is no time for idle philosophy. Where is your Link, Third?

He stooped down and felt around on the grass. After a few moments, he found something in the center of the symbol: a small ring. Though metal, it was incredibly lightweight, and surprisingly immune to Allomancy and other forms of magic. At the center was a shining blue waterstone, the heart of Third's former Identity. The hooded figure stood up, pocketing the waterstone ring, and sidled away.

He never visited that site of his brother's death again.

I think that's 200 words, not sure.

5 hours ago, Quiver said:

...'kay, so, thinking about it, I might just have a character concept in mind. I'll try and get a post up in a day or two... though I admit, I am not very good at writing or roleplaying, so, um... yeah. Sorry in advance. 

:huh: You're kidding me right? I've read your RP before. and your writing. You're great aat it.

Gladium watched the flood of men who wished to become a Knight Radiant. Some faces were that of kings and nobles, others were that of peasants and slaves. But Stormlight was the great leveler. As many nobles as common men walked away. So far only five other than himself had passed. Lomat, the first one to be accepted and a neutral looking person. Jonly, possessor of a hateful face that scorned all it looked upon. Aaron, quiet, but if you saw his eyes then you would see his might and hate. Ranatar, meek and kindly but possessor of great intellect. Rea, clumsy and small. The strange figure, nothing known of him. All of these could be enemies or friends, based on his choices. Truly, this could be the greatest event of them all. Gladium let his thoughts fall quiet and walked away. 

Et adorabunt dominim in odio.

Edited by Straw

8 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

I know; I intend to write mine soon.

I've got a couple of rules-related questions.

1. Are the minimum vote requirements fo rthe execution/pardon vote for the total vote count, or the amount of votes that have been brought out. For example, if 6 guys vote to pardon, 2 to execute and 8 people abstain from voting, is it a pardon or does nothing happen? 
  2. It is mentioned that the prisoner conversation is the only group conversation allowed. Does this mean the unjust don't have their own doc?
  3. For the elsecaller power, how does the spren see (un)accidentally switching a player into a kill?
    1. And on that matter, what if the intended target of the unjust is switched with someone they had not investigated yet?
  4. Are PM's allowed? The lightweaver power suggests it is, but I wanted to check anyway. I assume Ammanuensis and STINK are to be included in each PM?
    1. On that note, if PM's are not allowed or restricted, how about conversations to agree on and plan out a collaborative roleplay post (for example, a long conversation). Are they allowed?

Apologies if the answers to these questions had already been written down somewhere.

11 minutes ago, randuir said:

I've got a couple of rules-related questions.

1. Are the minimum vote requirements fo rthe execution/pardon vote for the total vote count, or the amount of votes that have been brought out. For example, if 6 guys vote to pardon, 2 to execute and 8 people abstain from voting, is it a pardon or does nothing happen? 
  2. It is mentioned that the prisoner conversation is the only group conversation allowed. Does this mean the unjust don't have their own doc?
  3. For the elsecaller power, how does the spren see (un)accidentally switching a player into a kill?
    1. And on that matter, what if the intended target of the unjust is switched with someone they had not investigated yet?
  4. Are PM's allowed? The lightweaver power suggests it is, but I wanted to check anyway. I assume Ammanuensis and STINK are to be included in each PM?
    1. On that note, if PM's are not allowed or restricted, how about conversations to agree on and plan out a collaborative roleplay post (for example, a long conversation). Are they allowed?

Apologies if the answers to these questions had already been written down somewhere.

1. The minimum amount of votes required for executions and pardons are the total number of living, free players, not from those who participate. So if there's 16 free players and 1 in prison, 8 are required to vote on a single prisoner to execute him, while 12 are required to pardon him.
  2. The Unjust will have a doc, but that doesn't count as a private message, and thus cannot be spied on by the Lightweaver.
  3. An inkspren will not sever their Bond in such a situation. Valorspren is the only one that has issues being responsible for the death of another.
    1. In that situation, the Unjust will be unable to find their target. If the new target does have known crimes, however, they will kill them. Otherwise they will return to "HQ"
  4. PMs are allowed, and have no restrictions other than 1 - they can only exist between two players (plus both GMs) 2 - cannot be used during the gap between Chapters.
    1. They are allowed, so talk about RP collaboration in those :P

Sareth walked the halls of the Holy City, Urithiru. The entire structure radiated an aura of truth. The stone, the arc of the arches, the interval between pillars... this is the holy city. Only very few have ever made such a pilgrimage as this, and he was one of the few. Such a privilege. He rounded the corner, tapping his staff against the pavestones. Every glance was filled with awe.

However, up ahead, was a person. Humans... are such interesting organisms, Sareth included. They have the capability to do much good, yet can do much evil. And when compared to the natural world, they are ugly. Humans do not have the grandeur of a highstorm, the strength of mountains, the beauty of flowers... they are weak, relatively uncivilized, and paranoid. And they are everywhere. Sareth paused in thought. But yet, much wonder has come from the hands of mankind. The cities of Roshar, the Holy City itself! And what of the art, poetry, and literature that over generations has accumulated in galleries and libraries? Yes, humans are like a two-sided coin, truth on one side, and lies on the other.

And, though Sareth as he approached the man on the end of the hall, they have enormous potential. The man turned, surprised to see this Shin man striding towards him, cloak flapping. He turned as if to go, but Sareth got to him first.

"Good sir," Sareth began politely, "do you find yourself lacking truth in your life?"

1 hour ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Ok, few questions:

1. When do Unjust's turn into a Skybreaker? What criteria?

2. How much Honor do Spren cost?

1. It'll come as a balancing factor. Depends a bit on how the Unjust decide to strategize. In all scenarios it will occur after a couple Unjust die, to ensure they're still competitive in late game. 
  2. To create the bond, a minimum amount of Honor is required to be invested. It's different for most spren, and will remain a secret for now. Even when you hit that mininum requirement, it's still going to be a dice roll to determine if you get it, and if multiple people meet the requirement, who. After that bond is formed, each spren needs a single honor per turn.
Edited by Amanuensis

Gladium turned and saw a strange man striding toward him. Looked like one of the Shin. 

"Good Sir," the man asked, "do you find yourself lacking truth in your life?"

"I do not, for radiance is truth, and I am radiant." Gladium quickly replied, "Why do you ask me?"

Hmm... now I dead in AG3 so I think I can join other game. I'm not very good in RPing(horrible) but I will try.

Spoiler

Highstorm gone leaving behind uprooted trees and shattered boulders wherever he passed, I stood for few moments motionless then took a deep breath feeling how my body slowly recovering after transition between worlds. First thing that I felt was drizzling rain second was raging wind which mercilessly tried to rip my cloak. Cloak fluttered on wind in first time showing to this world sign of Golden Raven.

It was my sign, and this is my  way that I chose so long ago that even flowering gardens that have been witnessed this could now be just pile of rotten wood.

Wind mercilessly whipped my black cloak, tried to penetrate through dense black jacket with high collar. I looked on Shattered Plains, on my way to new dangers and opportunities, way to new artifacts and powers for my collection.

I never been on Roshar before but I knew enough about nations and traditions, nature and gods.  I was well prepared for what awaits me ahead, and I knew my target, Urithiru, city in the sky, and my way to it lay through this plains.

Urithiru really was beautiful city, great city, so many things to explore, so many fools to fool them. But from contemplation of beauty I was distracted by three clowns that tried to look like warriors, they jumped and spun with their spears, yes they were incredibly fast, but all my life I preferred daggers. What they will do if someone without sound will slit their throats? So I just turned around and went to look for a place to sleep.

I found an empty room that fits me on floor 57.  But it was damnation tiresome and painful ascent, especially after incident on Nalthis(I will not go into details but firstly angry crowd hanged me and left me thinking that I was dead, and then damnation old house(where they left me) collapsed right on my head. I survived but in my left leg was so many fractures that I still can't normally walk without cane).

On the next day I’m like idiot stood in line and waited my turn to come to Highprince Dalinar and say oaths. You know I all my life lied to everyone even to myself. Some training and you can convince even yourself in your lies. This is the trick that I planned to use deceive myself in sincerity of my oaths. But crowd was moving so slowly that I decided to study people. Huge number of nobles, some people looked desperate, some was enthusiastic, I saw some people that frankly looked insane. And finally after a few dozen of people there was one who passed test, after him here were more and more those who passed test. And then my turn came.

Highprince Dalinar stood and watched how another noble approaches to pass the test, he walked slowly step by step leaning on his cane of dark wood. He was dressed in all black (jacket with embroidered golden raven on back, straight trousers and leather shoes). At last man reached top, he was tall (even taller than Dalinar) with long black hair that slightly curled, his right eye was blind and colorless left eye was light green color.

“Speak the words,” Dalinar said.

“Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.” Man said with calm and clear voice.

Dalinar held the diamond broam before him.

“Breath deep, and we’ll know if your heart is true.”

Man breathed and smiled. Light in sphere faded.

“What is your name, Initiate?” asked Dalinar.

“Arionium my name.”

Yeah I know here many mistakes and maybe I'm misusing some words but I hope it's forgivable.

5 hours ago, Straw said:

Gladium turned and saw a strange man striding toward him. Looked like one of the Shin. 

"Good Sir," the man asked, "do you find yourself lacking truth in your life?"

"I do not, for radiance is truth, and I am radiant." Gladium quickly replied, "Why do you ask me?"

Sareth paused, taken aback by the quick response and unexpected reply. However, the moment was over as quickly as it came.

"Then continue in truth, brother. The Truth needs be spread among the Order, that they might know the true purpose. For too long has the world been deceived, and now Truth must reign!" He placed his hand on the man's shoulder to reassure him, then with a respectful nod, walked away.