Which powers would you choose? [Bands of Mourning spoilers]

Erandeni

I was rereading Bands of Mourning, and in the part where the Set has 3 hemalurgic spikes to have powers but not be controlled by Harmony I thought: if I was in that situation Which powers would I choose?, and why?

After consider it, I would choose allomantic iron and steel and ferruchemical zinc, because I would love to "fly", or at least the closest thing we have in mistborn, and the ferruchemical zinc beacuse I could do pretty cool thing with iron /steel and increased mental speed, also it would helpt me a lot with my exams.

I would liked to know your opinion, Which powers would you choose?, and why?

Edited by Idealistic Mistborn

I would take F:Steel, F: Gold, and A: Pewter(if compounding isn't allowed), because I would be able to easily store the two hardest stored metals. If compounding is allowed, I would take A and F: Chromium, and F: Electrum. Then, I could easily gather hemalurgic Spikes and then tap determination to get out of harmony's control.

2 minutes ago, Ferumancer said:

Then, I could easily gather hemalurgic Spikes and then tap determination to get out of harmony's control.

That´s a good one, but if Harmony in a subtle way put ideas in your mind instead of forcing you to do something, similar how Ruin put the idea of finding atium in Vin´s mind, you´ll end up more determined to do whatever Harmony want.

hmmm interesting question (as if i haven't considered it a hundred times already for ten different fantasy worlds)

the thing is that you can't have too flashy powers  (supposing we stay on earth)  since if you are seen.... well you know what happens(experiments and stuff )
anyway i have two different sets 

first one : (A)zinc (to make human interaction smoother and... who am i kidding dating and social manipulation )  (F)zinc (for compounding and other  obvious reasons )  
 and for the last place either (F)steel  or (F)chromium  since both if used moderately could give you edge in modern life but probably steel because if you get mystical powers and you don't get atleast something kinda breathtaking to use secretly at least, you are doing it wrong 

an other idea i had was having (F)aluminium instead of alomantic zinc because think how much people would pay for something to make them faster or smarter

P.S. i am a creep arent i ?

Edited by Manukos

17 minutes ago, Manukos said:

an other idea i had was having (F)aluminium instead of alomantic zinc because think how much people would pay for something to make them faster or smarter

P.S. i am a creep arent i ?

Wouldn't you need whatever method the Southerners had to unseal the metalminds in order to sell metalminds to regular people?

(A)Zinc, so I can do some really cool things with Rioting, (F)copper, which would be SUPER useful on tests, and (A)Tin. This combination would simultaneously enable me to have perfect memory(Copper), have exact recall of every detail and scent(Tin), and use said powers to properly Riot(Zinc) a person to achieve the desired result.

4 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Wouldn't you need whatever method the Southerners had to unseal the metalminds in order to sell metalminds to regular people?

no biggie , since i know that it can happen and having a rough aproximation on how to do it threw trial and error ill figure it out 

16 minutes ago, Jedal said:

(A)Zinc, so I can do some really cool things with Rioting, (F)copper, which would be SUPER useful on tests, and (A)Tin. This combination would simultaneously enable me to have perfect memory(Copper), have exact recall of every detail and scent(Tin), and use said powers to properly Riot(Zinc) a person to achieve the desired result.

oooooh  yeah , copper ... didn't think of copper , then why not replace (A)tin with (F) zinc you get to compound , you are able to procces all that information better , plus with the copperminds you basicaly become a genius 

P.S. sry for double posting but smt was up with the quote button on my edit 

1 hour ago, Manukos said:

no biggie , since i know that it can happen and having a rough aproximation on how to do it threw trial and error ill figure it out 

We don't have a rough approximation on how to do it though, other than "it can happen". We don't even know what is required for it to happen.

10 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

We don't have a rough approximation on how to do it though, other than "it can happen". We don't even know what is required for it to happen.

i mean.... you get the metals... and you wipe your identity , before or after storing .... and then you put them together and do some stuff ....and ....and ... voila !? or something  
idk seems pretty rough  to me, ;)  

15 minutes ago, Manukos said:

i mean.... you get the metals... and you wipe your identity , before or after storing .... and then you put them together and do some stuff ....and ....and ... voila !? or something  
idk seems pretty rough  to me, ;)  

No, that's how you make unkeyed metalminds, which any feruchemist who can tap that metal can tap. However, those still cannot be tapped by people who do not possesses the appropriate feruchemical power, which is what the Southerner medallions can do. Based on your post, you were thinking of creating unkeyed zinc metalminds and selling them to regular people. Unfortunately, since they wouldn't possess the ability to tap zinc metalminds, you would be effectively just selling pieces of zinc.

7 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

No, that's how you make unkeyed metalminds, which any feruchemist who can tap that metal can tap. However, those still cannot be tapped by people who do not possesses the appropriate feruchemical power, which is what the Southerner medallions can do. Based on your post, you were thinking of creating unkeyed zinc metalminds and selling them to regular people. Unfortunately, since they wouldn't possess the ability to tap zinc metalminds, you would be effectively just selling pieces of zinc.

hmmmm... you are right ....my mistake .  well considring the fact that we will find out eventualy  i still think that it is worth throwing it out there 

an other thing to consider is where would we put the spikes , i mean if in return for the powers i have to pierce my arm  i will  but i would prefer if i was as incospicuous as i can i know that there are specific bind points but the coppermind isn't too extensive on the subject  it says though that unfortunately the earlobe is for alomatic bronze
so as i am falling asleep i will leave this question to the rest  , How would you disguise your spikes ? (and metalminds)
i think that i could get away with saying that it is some weird new piersing or smt as long as it is not in my heart or smt , and as for metal mind earings i guess . 

10 hours ago, Manukos said:

How would you disguise your spikes ? (and metalminds)

Well, in the chest, back or side is easy to hide with your clothes, it would be a bit awful if you go to the beach or the pool, but hey, it is your body, and I have seen worse piercing, the spike of spook doesn´t seem too big.

Btw, has anyone know if the spikes get rust? or maybe the hemalurgic charge protec them from corrosion?

• 2 weeks later...

I would choose Gold Allomancy and Copper or Brass Feruchemy. I want the combination that would be considered the least useful to see if I could make a use of them. I first wanted to be a Firesoul, until I thought about it more and realized just how dangerous it could be. Because I first thought of Brass, even though it breaks my criteria, I bonded to it and I'm having trouble giving it up. (I very specifically bond to my magical preferences which makes them more fun, but also makes it a pain to change my mind.) I would only want 2 of these abilities.

Edited by Releaser12

Definitely (F)Copper because I think having effectively infinite memory capacity would be awesome, If compounding is allowed I'd go for double-Chromium because I have to imagine that infinite Fortune would be both incredibly useful (however it works out) and subtle enough to not stand out like some of the flashier powers, in real Earth. If compounding's out I'd go for (F) Zinc to compliment the memory enhancement with improved mental speed and (A) Bendalloy because look at how much fun Wayne has with it.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:26 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

Most of the powers seem to have multiple bindpoint. Most seem to be on the torso and can be hidden by clothing; for instance Wax never suspected the Set of using hemalurgy until he saw the powers.

To add to this, The Coppermind notes examples of bindpoints that we know about, ie we know the earlobe works for Bronze Allomancy because Vin's earing was a functioning spike and she wore it there. We also know for a fact that there can be bindpoints on different parts of the body that produce the same result, as Inquisitors get Allomantic Steel from their eye spikes but Zane also got enhanced Steelpushing from his spike and his was in the torso.

Feruchemical gold, to ensure good health and surviving accidents and such things. 

Feruchemical bronze, because optimising sleeping patterns seems like a good life enhancement. Storing wakefulness while commuting, lazily browsing the Internet, etc, to pull out great allnighters when necessary? Seems great. 

Allomantic brass, because Soothing would be a great supernatural benefit. Encourage cooperation, defuse tense situations, etc. 

(A) and (F) Bronze, along with (A) Zinc.

Allomantic Bronze would allow me to sense whether or not anyone else in earth ever has or gains allomantic and/or other forms of power.

feruchemical Bronze could be compounded to allow me to pull the occasional all nighter with my writing and/or homework.

Allomantic Zinc would allow me to better help my friends get through the day without collapsing emotionally.

If there is no compounding, (A) zinc, (A) tin, (F) copper.

Allomantic Zinc, see above.

Allomantic tin, enhances my senses so I can better hear my parents, better see at night, be more accurate when it comes to smell based things (like gardening and cooking?), and so I can better feel the wind or rain when I stand outside in the weather. 

Feruchemical copper because I'm still in school; so the reasons are obvious in that area.

I'll post 2 if I may.

1. F Aluminum and Nicrosil and A Pewter.  Because I believe that combo makes accessible unkeyed Metal minds, and who "couldn't use Pewter Alcomancy?", so it would be easy to sell.

Would make the Olympics far more interesting, lol 

2. But I would personally go for, again A-Pewter and F Zinc and F Gold.  The Benifits of F Zinc have been mentioned above and so has F Gold.  And since burning Pewter increases physical health and mental speed (see WoA), I wouldn't have to diminish my own attributes to fill my Metal Minds 

I'm honestly surprised no one has come up with this yet but I'd go with A:ZincA:Brass, and F:Duralumin. Or, if you're having trouble following that, I'd be a Rioter, a Soother, and a Connector. The implications are, I'm guessing, already pretty clear to everybody here so um, I think, er, I'll just go and wash myself for a moment because I suddenly feel a little er rapey yeah I'mma go now...