Does Hoid have a spren?

I'm so sorry if this topic has been posted on before, I'm new here. When my friend and I were discussing what three magic systems we've seen Hoid using before, Stormlight came up as a possible one. For Hoid to be able to use Stormlight, would he need a spren? Or are spren reserved for the Knights Radiant? And if Hoid does have a spren (or ends up obtaining one later on), would it worldhop with him?

are you talking about the lightweaving he did?if so then his lightweaving abilities come from Yolen, lightweaving is similar to this ability that Hoid has

the heralds can use stormlight and they don't have spren

and I don't know

Edited by turtle373
more information

Hoid probably isn't bonded to a spren. If he were, it would impact his ability to worldhop somewhat. In any case, I don't recall a moment when he is using stormlight, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

17 minutes ago, KereDerek said:

Hoid bonding a spren would lead to amazing dialogue lol. 

That would be pretty amazing. I imagine it would be like his conversation with the cognitive entity in Secret History, except a bit more two-sided.

Rock didn't mention seeing one when he caught Hoid worldhopping, so I don't think he does have one.

It is possible to take in Stormlight without having a spren. Vasher is able to do this, as is anyone with an Honorblade. Using Stormlight, on the other hand, would require some way to 'channel' the Stormlight, like being bonded to a spren. Vasher isn't able to Awaken with Stormlight; he can take it in, he can consume it, but he he hasn't (yet) figured out how to use it like Breath in all fashions.

I believe at a recent signing, the Chicago one I think, there was a discussion with Brandon about spren and Shadesmar/Physical Realm travel. It's hard to circumnavigate the planet with a spren, because of the way Shadesmar is mapped to a planet (they can't jump across from one edge of the map to the other, since Shadesmar isn't connected that way. The International Date Line would be a barrier to spren.) But, if Hoid was bonded to something else (like a Seon, or Nightblood) that wasn't bound to Roshar in the same way, there shouldn't be any problem with him worldhopping with it. (Although, like I said, Rock didn't see one with him, so I don't think he's got one.)

But, deep down, I would like to believe that Spanky (from Secret History) wasn't just a corpse, but was Hoid's spren. He's just not a very lively spren.

36 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Hoid probably isn't bonded to a spren. If he were, it would impact his ability to worldhop somewhat. In any case, I don't recall a moment when he is using stormlight, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

That would be pretty amazing. I imagine it would be like his conversation with the cognitive entity in Secret History, except a bit more two-sided.

That, and the personality of a spren that would bond Hoid in the first place would be awesome. Haha, imagine the banter. 

In the ars arcanum of WoR, khriss mentions the "original yolish variant" of lightweaving. That is probably what hoid uses when telling stories to kaladin, in addition to the perfect pitch he talked about gaining (from BioChroma), and when he used allomancy in one of shallan's flashbacks.

40 minutes ago, SylphrenaHonorSpren said:

These are all wonderful answers! I didn't know that Yolish magic was similar to lightweaving. I must have passed that over in the Ars Arcanum. I bet if Hoid did have a spren, the banter would be fantastic. Thank you so much for your answers!

The yolish magic is non-canon as far as I'm aware. It isn't referenced in the Ars Arcanum. In any case, a number of manifestations of investiture operate on similar principles or achieve similar results, all with different methods of starting or ending the process 

• 5 months later...
On 1/23/2017 at 9:00 PM, Pagerunner said:

But, deep down, I would like to believe that Spanky (from Secret History) wasn't just a corpse, but was Hoid's spren. He's just not a very lively spren.

That. Would. Be. AMAZING! (I call my cousin Spanky). I'd love to see more of him. (Spanky, not my cousin, because I'm visiting his family). I'd absolutely love that.

Edited by Tesh

On 1/23/2017 at 8:00 PM, Pagerunner said:

I believe at a recent signing, the Chicago one I think, there was a discussion with Brandon about spren and Shadesmar/Physical Realm travel. It's hard to circumnavigate the planet with a spren, because of the way Shadesmar is mapped to a planet (they can't jump across from one edge of the map to the other, since Shadesmar isn't connected that way. The International Date Line would be a barrier to spren.) But, if Hoid was bonded to something else (like a Seon, or Nightblood) that wasn't bound to Roshar in the same way, there shouldn't be any problem with him worldhopping with it.

That is a very interesting revelation.

So basically the world is actually flat in the cognitive realm.

7 minutes ago, kalaxin said:

I think this was also confirmed in a WoB, but I'm having trouble finding it right now

Here you go 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1182#53

QUESTION

So you’ve said, moving a spren off world from Roshar is difficult. What about physically, say the Ones Above visit them, and they fly away?

BRANDON SANDERSON

So one of the things you’ll have to be asking questions and theorizing on is what happens if you try to carry a spren around the planet. What happens to their Cognitive sense, right? So you’re on Roshar, right? So on the Physical Realm what would happen--because on Shadesmar, you have a flattened version. So there are questions for you to be theorizing implicit in that. And one of them is, what happens, you cross a threshold circling the globe, your spren, what happens to them? Right? This relates to the question you’re asking.

QUESTION

Wait wait, you have a three dimensional plain coexisting with a two dimensional plain?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, two dimensional is the wrong term, but basically.

He states that he is not a knight radiant when Dalinar questions him which indicates that he has no spren, because as far as we know you are either a a parshendi or a knights radient if there is going to be a connection.

• Chaos locked this topic