WoB stack exchange

Oversleep

17 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

Looking for a WoB re: the number of possible metals there are. I seem to recall this coming recently, but can't find on theoryland and my reddit-fu is extremely lacking. I want to say Brandon talks about the possibilities being in the hundreds, due to all the god metals coming into play with alloys and alloys combining between god metals.

I believe you're thinking of lines of theorizing that are mostly drawn from this WoB from 2010:

17th Shard

Are there a limited amount of atium and lerasium alloys for each metal?

Brandon Sanderson

Hmm, yes…I suppose there would be but there are…

17TH SHARD

More than sixteen?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah, way more than sixteen.

17TH SHARD

Oh wow. Okay. That's fascinating. More than sixteen and less than infinite.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

Source

This appears to be contradicted by a quote from 2011:

Fire Arcadia

Are there 50 Allomantic Metals?

Brandon Sanderson

Nearly. Does Harmony have a metal?

FIRE ARCADIA

Is that an alloy of Lerasium and Atium?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You're along the right lines.

Source

Having sixteen normal metals, 3 god metals, and 16 alloys apiece for each atium and lerasium would bring us to 51 metals. The implication quite of the first that there are 'way more' than 16 for each of the two pure god metals (to say nothing of harmonium, which we didn't know about yet) would seem suggest that the number of god metal alloys would have to exceed 100. A common theory for distinguishing between these different god metal alloys is the presence or absence of various god metals.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Delightful said:

Hi!

Looking for a WoB about planning 30 magic systems in WoK but not being able to pitch it that way to editors. 

I have only found this:

Alcatraz is an interesting story because...Mistborn is the first book that I wrote knowing that it was going to get published. It was my fourteenth novel. Always before then, I'd always written just whatever I had felt like next, and it was the first time I had to consider, "Wow. Elantris is getting published. How do I follow it up? What do I do next?" Originally I'd planned to release next a book called The Way of Kings, which was number thirteen—the book I wrote right before Mistborn—and as I was revising Way of Kings, I had this deep-seated feeling that I wasn't ready for Way of Kings. I'd written the first book, and it didn't do yet what I wanted it to do. It was a massive war epic, and was very intricate, enormous world, and thirty magic systems...I mean, it was actually beyond my skill level at the time. And I said, "I need practice writing sequels before I start a massive epic like this." I'd never written a sequel before.source

1 hour ago, Delightful said:

Hi!

Looking for a WoB about planning 30 magic systems in WoK but not being able to pitch it that way to editors. 

I couldn't find anything helpful either, unless you misremembered this one?

LEXIE

How many magic systems did you go through before deciding on the one in the book?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Building the magic for a world is not something I’ve simply been able to drop in, usually. I generally am working on lots of different themes and ideas in my head *laughter* When I’m planning a novel and the magic will fit a certain story and influence how it goes and I will do a lot of building and practice to see if that’s working and do a lot of, I’ll do a lot of pre-writing and see how the magic influences the plot, influences the setting. If these things are also intertwined then it’s not a drag and drop so to speak and usually even if I pull out a magic, I’ll really be pulling out parts of it and replacing it with other parts.

For instance with the Mistborn books Allomancy was in one form there from the beginning and yet what the powers that Allomancy could do often I was ripping out and adding new ones in, in order to better fit the novel and the narrative I’m shooting for. So for Way of Kings I’ve kind of taken a—the series I’ve been working on for quite a while, people have read the online interviews and things like that. I generally took a ‘more is awesome' approach to the magic systems and yet because of that I didn’t want the first book to be overrun by them, it would be very easy for my books to simply become interesting gimmicks about a magic rather than a story about characters and the story that happens to them, and so I was actually very careful to not overwhelm with the magic in this book. Which is actually somewhat ironic because this book, I built into it somewhere around thirty magic systems and yet I didn’t want to overwhelm and so the first book, there are only hints of any of them but generally when I was world building this I came up with a great idea, I worked it into the magic system rather than saying "Oh, let’s do this instead."

Source

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

I'm looking for a Feruchemy WoB that says the rate of storing does not affect the rate of tapping.

Nothing in Pagerunner's list containing "store," "storing," tap," "tapping," or "rate."
Nothing in Theoryland containing "stored," "storing," "tapped," or "tapping."

So far, there's this one, but it doesn't seem like what you're looking for

Brandon Sanderson

The low end is bounded. You can pull out tons--but in filling, you can only go so far. I didn't ever explicitly talk about this in the series, but the implications are there. Not all have the same bounds, but in your example, the body just can't slow beyond a certain point. Think of it this way--you can only fill a weight metalmind with as much weight as you have to give. So you can become very, very light--but you only add to a time for doubling your weight. You can't make yourself 100,000 times slower and gain 100,000 times multiplication. You can give up all of your normal speed, and so when you tap that speed out you are at 200% for an equal period. (And that's a theoretical maximum; realistically, you can only go to down around 75% slower or the like.)

Wait, might it one of these?

Lance Alvein

Does the rate of feruchemical storage of an attribute affect the total amount stored in a metalmind?

BRANDON SANDERSON (paraphrased)

It was not intended to be.

Lance Alvein

Does the loss during the withdrawal of large amounts of attribute depend on the rate of original storage?

No

There's currently 240 results containing "store," so that'll be a while. I'll just post now and tag you if I find something else later

28 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

that don't contain keywords or something.

Well, it's neither of the 2 with the "Metalmind" tag, so that's something.

There's only 134 with the Feruchemy tag, but without any iterations of store/tap, I don't know how they would word the question.

Ok, so nothing but the one below containing the word "store." Absolutely nothing containing the words "taps" or "stores."

Edit v2. The tags Feruchemy and Feruchemical have nothing. No instance of the words "Feruchemy," "Feruchemist," "Feruchemical," or "Storage" have anything either.

I have officially ran out of words that I can feasibly think of showing up in the question or answer. Due to the number of terms that are proven to not be in this WoB, going through the Mistborn tag and its 820 results feels pointless. I'm sorry that I can't find it, but I've run out of options.

How old do you think this WoB is? A semi-recent one could be in events and signings...

@Oversleep I found one that essentially says you can store and tap at different rates, but this still might not be what you are looking for

Brandon Sanderson (20 October 2008)

It doesn't diminish. Or, well, it does—but only if you compound it. You get 1 for 1 back, but compounding the power requires an expenditure of the power itself. For instance, if you are weak for one hour, you can gain the lost strength for one hour. But that's not really that much strength. After all, you probably weren't as weak as zero people during that time. So if you want to be as strong as two men, you couldn't do it for a full hour. You'd have to spend some energy to compound, then spend the compounded energy itself.

In more mathematical terms, let's say you spend one hour at 50% strength. You could then spend one hour at 150% strength, or perhaps 25 min at 200% strength, or maybe 10min at 250% strength. Each increment is harder, and therefore 'strains' you more and burns your energy more quickly. And since most Feruchemists don't store at 50% strength, but instead at something like 80% strength (it feels like much more when they do it, but you can't really push the body to that much forced weakness without risking death) you can burn through a few day's strength in a very short time if you aren't careful.

Edited by The One Who Connects

@The One Who Connects I think I'm gonna go and sieve through every of Feruchemy WoBs on theoryland then. Won't be pleasant but situations like that make me doubt my sanity.

And I still need to go through Pagerunner's database from start to bottom. How many WoBs are there? Something like 700? Who needs books when you have WoBs, amirite?

Edited by Oversleep

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

I think I'm gonna go and sieve through every of Feruchemy WoBs on theoryland then. Won't be pleasant but situations like that make me doubt my sanity.

Good luck. Quick reminder that you have to search "word," "worded," "wording" and the tag "word" separately. Theoryland likes the exact match function, and it's annoying.

If you do find it, more power to you

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

Good luck. Quick reminder that you have to search "word," "worded," "wording" and the tag "word" separately. Theoryland likes the exact match function, and it's annoying.

I'm just gonna go through each entry in http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='feruchemy'

Just now, Oversleep said:

I'm just gonna go through each entry in http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='feruchemy'

Fair enough. There's one entry with the tag "Feruchemical" though, just to mess with us. (It's about the Feruchemy Chart, nothing of note, but it's there.)

@Oversleep can you explain exactly what you're looking for? I would've thought those WoBs establish that one can store and tap are different rates. Are you looking for something that explicitly says that for a particular metalmind, the speed at which you filled it doesn't affect the speed at which you can tap it?

Just now, Extesian said:

@Oversleep can you explain exactly what you're looking for? I would've thought those WoBs establish that one can store and tap are different rates. Are you looking for something that explicitly says that for a particular metalmind, the speed at which you filled it doesn't affect the speed at which you can tap it?

That the rate at which the metalmind was filled is not related in any way to speed of tapping. It's similar to these:

Lance Alvein

Does the rate of feruchemical storage of an attribute affect the total amount stored in a metalmind?

It was not intended to be.

Lance Alvein

Does the loss during the withdrawal of large amounts of attribute depend on the rate of original storage?

No

But I think it was more lengthy and not paraphrased and Brandon talked a bit more about it. Honestly, that second WoB pretty much is enough to confirm it but I think I saw another one.

7 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

Are there any WoBs on if a person killed by a shardblade could be turned in to a lifeless?

The nearest I could find is this. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1089

PRNCRNY

What connection is there between Lifeless and Shard-severed limbs?

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

They are similar, but different. With Lifeless it's due to the soul being drained away, shrinking to nearly nothing. With Shard-severed limbs, that portion of the soul is sheared clean away.

This makes me think it would still work though, depending on the extent of the damage done. 

Reddit Reply

Question: Does Renarin's blood sickness have anything to do with Ashyn?

Reply: For you to gain the magic of Ashyn, you have to actually be infected by the micro-organisms living there. The things going on with Renarin are different. (Sorry.)

4 minutes ago, Idealistic said:

I remember a WoB about squires being something akin to Knights in training but can't found it, Can someone help me?

From Boksone:

Q: Lopen. Is he a squire, or does he actually have a spren?

A: He’s a squire. You’ll find out a lot more about what the squires are in the upcoming book. For most orders, squire were knights radiant potentially in training, so you can see what happens in the next book.

3 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

What is the WoB on the ending of stormlight having been told already? I think I may have a lead. but I need a little more proof.

Question

The ending of Mistborn was hidden in the first chapter epigraphs. Is there something similar to that in The Way of Kings?

Brandon Sanderson

There is, but they are hidden in different places. The last chapter of The Stormlight Archive is somewhere in these two books.

Source.