Whoops, sorry, Aman :P. But hey, close as it was, at least we won. 

Great write-up, Sheep and Doc! :D And good game, all. Really enjoyed it. 

Edit- ooooh, milk chocolates! *gratefully accepts them*

*puts on the irony medal* 

Edited by Daniyah

Great game! I can't wait to read the evil doc, but sadly I can't now. Sorry to all the villagers I helped kill with my improper analysis. I didn't think the GMs would put all three of the Double Agents in a chain together. Honestly, if Drake didn't PM me when he did, I would have gone for Dani, too  

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to vote for me, Dani and Mage? And Dani, did you put in your ability to cut off one of Drake's PMs just in case? I asked people to pass that to you if possible

Can't believe I forgot to say it, but great job Double Agents! I think that if Drought had not died to inactivity, things would have gone very differently.

Edited by Amanuensis

4 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to vote for me, Dani and Mage? And Dani, did you put in your ability to cut off one of Drake's PMs just in case? I asked people to pass that to you if possible

Idk.  Mostly, I felt like we were in trouble if you were bad, and I wasn't sure about your alignment, plus Drake had seemed pretty village when I talked to him, so I figured I'd play it safe and kill you/block Drake.  Then we'd kill Drake next cycle.

1 hour ago, Magestar said:

Idk.  Mostly, I felt like we were in trouble if you were bad, and I wasn't sure about your alignment, plus Drake had seemed pretty village when I talked to him, so I figured I'd play it safe and kill you/block Drake.  Then we'd kill Drake next cycle.

Fair enough. A smart play, albeit the wrong one in this scenario. I guess I can't really argue that my part in killing Joe was evidence of me being innocent, given how I killed a teammate last QF and won for the eliminators. 

Edited by Amanuensis

3 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Fair enough. A smart play, albeit the wrong one in this scenario. I guess I can't really argue that my part in killing Joe was evidence of me being innocent, given how I killed a teammate last QF and won for the eliminators. 

I still don't know why i was killed. That was probably the most frustrating bit of the game. Mage said it was because i asked him to move my PM with Drake. Is that the only reason?

17 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

No-one else saw Drake as suspicious, and me voting on him alone wasn't making a difference. The last Elim was either Drake or you, so when me and Mage decided to lynch you, I sent in the action to cut off Drake and Mage's PM, and asked Mage to redirect Assassin's PM from Drake to me, in case you turn out to be innocent. 

31 minutes ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

I still don't know why i was killed. That was probably the most frustrating bit of the game. Mage said it was because i asked him to move my PM with Drake. Is that the only reason?

Lopen and I came to the conclusion that if Bard wasn't using the Double Agent Faction Action to create PMs, then they weren't creating one at all, which suggested a more tactical thinking player. So me, believing that both him and Bard were innocent, you seemed like the next best option. Plus I thought it was weird that the turn you almost died a bunch of votes piled up on Lopen instead.

5 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Lopen and I came to the conclusion that if Bard wasn't using the Double Agent Faction Action to create PMs, then they weren't creating one at all, which suggested a more tactical thinking player. So me, believing that both him and Bard were innocent, you seemed like the next best option. Plus I thought it was weird that the turn you almost died a bunch of votes piled up on Lopen instead.

Funnily enough, only 1 DA PM was created in the entire game.  Drake did incredibly well getting contacts without needing to use it at all.  The whole DA did actually.  It was really amusing to see Mage getting a PM with Joe on Cycle 2 for that very reason.

Edited by AliasSheep

54 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Well, that was honestly a lot more fun than I expected! I thought it would be near-impossible, but not at all! Great write-up, btw. 

Surprised I didn't ask you this question already; why did you decide to vote for Drake over me?

Whoop! That was fun :D [Even though I died real quick and technically only got to talk to Arinian the entire three cycles of my existence]

I loved all of your write-ups and RP, Sheep and Doc. Great job running the game.  

#IGotAMedal #TheShiniestMedalThisPlaceHasEverSeen #ShinierThanFelixsMedal

<Transmission received>

<static>

This is Mi9. Agents, do you read me?

This is an EMERGENCY TRANSMISSION to every single member of the agency, both dead and alive.

Did you seriously think this was over?

Wait, what're you -

<crashhh>

<static>

<sounds of a scuffle>

The game is over, your part is done!

<Muffled curses>

Treason! Treason!

<How does a bas->

<Throat clearing>

Ahem. This is Doc. Doc12. Mi9 was not very willing to be retired... 

<muffled banging>

So hey! Doc here. Hi :)

Seeing as Sheep still hasn’t gotten their GM thoughts up, I thought ‘why not?’ and decided to post my Co-GM thoughts. (Mi9 has always been more efficient anyways) Anyways, while Sheep procrastinates his thoughts on the mechanics, I’ll just share my thoughts on the game itself.

Firstly, this game was a blast to GM. Honestly. It was my second time co-GMing, and I enjoyed it so much. The inactivity was very low, and all you guys seemed to be having fun, which made me immensely happy.

This game kept me up to 4am at night. Hah :P

So. This was one of the extremely rare games where both the GM and the co-GM are both bonkers, and the first game to have the GMs openly declare war on each other. Wasn’t that fun? It started simply, when I vowed to give each agent a personalized message as Mi9, hoping it’d increase the immersiveness of the game and make the messages a little bit more than just. ‘Order”, “Order confirmed”. Then Sheep started ninja-ing me, and I started getting a little passive-aggressive in the missive writeups :P

And the amazing thing was you players went along with it! You engaged with us, and allowed for some really amusing back and forths! I remember when I first tried to convince Aman he was crazy, argued with Mage over his Ahst-rail-yun accent, watched Seonid conspire to blow us all up, and engaged Stick in a hashtag battle that resulted in every single message in the GM PM being hashtags. There were dozens of little touches that made the game such a gem. Mage and his amusing missives, Zootopia, Dani and her chocolate, Drake insisting on starting his messages with ‘Marshall law’, Bard and his fondness for cudgels, and Joe trolling his fellow eliminators. I actually got Mage, Lopen and Drake to distrust normal sheep!

Thank you, all of you, for making the game fun. If it wasn’t for you engaging right back, it would have just been me sending these amusing messages but getting nothing in reply - not very encouraging.

Ah, and Sheep! N! You were fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Another GM might have rolled their eyes at my antics and ignored them, but you! You started arguing right back in PMs, and soon we had a nice little rivalry set up between N and Mi9. You not only tolerated my antics, but you actively engaged with them. Ha! Remember when I first got Mage to shoot you, and we declared open war on each other? We started hopping through the GM PMs of every single player and having a mini-debate in each one. It became a competition with very real stakes! And then I went ahead and posted that emergency transmission in thread, which infuriated you to no end. We decided to split our writeups. We conspired in Discord to actually encourage this war, and we decided that you would be evil, and I good, setting up the pieces for a glorious clash. It was an honour, Sheep. :)

It was amazing, heh. Making a story out of nothing. Making Hamilton references to annoy Sheep. (There were Star Wars, Batman and Captain America references too) Staying up to 4am working on the final writeup to make it a worthy send-off. Snarking with players in their PMs. Realizing that we both shipped Desmond/Yiferien. Realizing we both shipped Aries and Mi9 (Yeaaah, that came out of nowhere) and that Mi9 was Gemini all along.

Does beg the question though. In light of Mi9 and N’s actual relationship, what happened for the three cycles they spent locked in that closet? :P (I apologized to you, Sheep, deal with it.)

All these things made all those 2am nights staying up to post the writeups worth it. (Storming Sheep and his rollover time)

You were all absolutely amazing. Thank you all for an amazing game, and a wonderful co-GMing experience. I did my very best, and  I only hope it was as great for you as it was for me.

-Doc

<Transmission ends>

Edited by Doc12

9 hours ago, Doc12 said:

Ah, and Sheep! N! You were fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Another GM might have rolled their eyes at my antics and ignored them, but you! You started arguing right back in PMs, and soon we had a nice little rivalry set up between N and Mi9. You not only tolerated my antics, but you actively engaged with them. Ha! Remember when I first got Mage to shoot you, and we declared open war on each other? We started hopping through the GM PMs of every single player and having a mini-debate in each one. It became a competition with very real stakes! And then I went ahead and posted that emergency transmission in thread, which infuriated you to no end. We decided to split our writeups. We conspired in Discord to actually encourage this war, and we decided that you would be evil, and I good, setting up the pieces for a glorious clash. It was an honour, Sheep. :)

. . .

I ship it.

11 hours ago, Doc12 said:

you would be evil, and I good,

A thing I want to add about this - I chose the name Gemini-Aries at random.

Then we looked up the traits for Geminis and for Aries on a whim.  Turns out Gemini fits Mi9 amazingly and Aries fits N amazingly.  That was prettttty cool.

• 1 month later...

Sheep’s GM Thoughts

Roles

So, in the game we had three Cs.  Unfortunately, only one of the Cs ever actually used any actions (one of the others was lynched before they could do anything and the other went inactive because of some unfortunate IRL circumstances).  The C role looked, to me, like one of the most interesting rules due to how it could change up the structure of the information network and Mage definitely demonstrated this, much to the confusion of many people.  I saw a lot of people confused due to getting PMs out of nowhere due to Mage’s actions, so imagine if there were three people actively doing that.  It would have been fantastic!  I was also excited to see what the elims would do with the C role as it essentially allowed them to gain extra PMs without using their faction ability, the risk of course being that they could accidentally knock out one of their existing PMs, which wouldn’t be good.  In hindsight though, this may have been a little overpowered.  Something to think about.

The Contacts role was perhaps the most basic role we had in the game, but it definitely provided some very interesting discussion.  It was a shame that Ecth’s WiFi went down and he died to the filter (more on that later) but Lopen and Bard still managed to do some interesting things.  Something to note before discussing that is that before the game started at least two players raised with me the issue of verifying whether a person was a Contacts or using the DA ability.  Both claimed that it would be easy to test this by having the Contacts create a PM between two players that the tester trusted.  This test was proposed several times throughout the game, however funnily enough, neither Bard nor Lopen ever actually did it (actually, Bard might have done it at some point towards the end, but if he did, I missed that).  What they did do, though, was build up their connections a lot.  Throughout the game, Lopen, Bard and Mage (the active C) were the players with the most PMs and thus were most central to the communications of the village.  I believe someone at some point expressed concern over this role being overpowered, but I believe the way it was used, and the way it would be used in any other game, wasn’t so.  It definitely added to the game.

We only had one Bureaucrat playing, which was Daniyah.  I didn’t really know how many Bureaucrats or Hackers to put in, so I only ended up putting a single Bureaucrat game, however Dani used the ability to excellent effect.  Towards the end, Dani and a few other players had the situation set up such that they would lynch Aman and block one of Drake’s PMs.  If Drake hadn’t been so unfortunately lynched, this would have been the only thing stopping him from winning that cycle, yet with Dani’s usage of the Bureaucrat, it was impossible for him to pull that off.  With that in mind, I feel like having any more Bureaucrats would have been somewhat overpowered, as the possibilities for screwing people over were very high.  In addition, with two Bureaucrats it becomes possible for a person’s PMs to be completely shut off, and that’s just no fun at all.

Regarding Hackers, I’ll admit that I regret having it as a role.  It was too much work for me to handle when coming back from school exhausted as hell (due to my bad sleeping habits as anyone in the Discord can attest to) and so I was incredibly lucky that the Hackers only spied on PMs without a lot of actual talking going on.  I’m not actually sure how the results of spying affected the game (I’ll have to wait until I’m reading over the PMs again while copying them into a doc for y’all to find out), but it’s likely not going to be included in the revised rules, simply due to workload.

Overall, excluding the Hackers, I was quite pleased with the role distribution.  I think it worked out quite well.

PMs

PMs were confusing.  They were also the central mechanic of this game, so whether or not they worked well is incredibly important.

First, the rule that everyone must have at least two PMs.  I came up with that maybe halfway into Cycle 2 because I realised that the C role was going to leave lots of people with only one PM, which would mean they’d be greatly restricted in play and that wouldn’t be very fun for anyone.  This role made the actions of the C much more interesting, however I feel like the system was kind of messy and it felt ad lib, mostly because it was.  It was a good fix for an apparent problem, but in future revisions, the rules are going to need to be rewritten to work around this.

Second, the Primary PMs system.  This was another thing that was added to fix up the way the C would have ruined the fun for some unlucky people.  I wanted it so that only if a Primary PM was cut off a new one would be made, since if they had other PMs then those PMs could just become Primary PMs.  This idea was dumb.  They didn’t really need to exist and they simply made the system confusing, since I’m pretty sure I screwed up in using them anyway.  They’re not going to exist in the next revision.

Third, PM distribution.  One thing that shocked Aman is that I put all the elims in the a line with each other.  This was a really last minute decision, because I realised that in order to ensure a good pace for the game, I couldn’t allow the Double Agents to start out with too many PMs to non-Double Agents as that would give them far too big an advantage.  They were initially going to start with six, that is, two each.  I then changed that so that two of them would be a line, giving them four starting ones.  Yet we started with 16 players, three of which were DAs, which meant that only 9 people.  Supposing a lynch every cycle and the DA using their ability, which I assumed they would, that gave us four to five cycles.  That’s not an unreasonably short game, however I was hoping for something a little longer, so I reduced their PM count to two, with Joe right in the middle of Drake and Drought.  The game took about eight cycles now, but considering that Drought went inactive and the DA didn’t use their ability at all, it could have gone a lot quicker.  I also felt somewhat sorry for Joe since he wasn’t able to communicate with anyone he wasn’t already communicating with in the Elim doc (though he did use that to his advantage for some nice trolling) however Magestar managed to save me from that one when he directed one of Joe’s PMs to himself first cycle.  I’m not going to comment on how I plan to do it next time, because spoilers, but it will be different.  Other than that though, I think the RNG PM assignment system worked out quite well.  There weren’t any instances of too many experienced players being bunched up together, which was nice, and we got a good amount of discussion. (DesmondxYiferien < this was Doc (oi) )

I was planning on putting these out ages ago and then I never finished them, so have the unfinished ones, a month and a week too late.

I suppose I should clarify something about the elim team.

One of the major reasons I chose not to use the faction power... If one of us dies, our team loses all our contacts. So, even when we are close to winning, even one member falling under suspicion can end up disastrous. If one of our members claimed contacts, PMed nearly everyone, but then got lynched, we'd be back to square one.

Mind you, I'm not saying this mechanic is unfair for the elims. Given that the game was actually kind of close, I'd bet that if we hadn't lost 1 of the 3 elims to inactivity, it would have been a win. So I'm inclined to conclude that the elims had a fair chance.

I'm just commenting on why the faction ability wasn't really being put to use.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's long, long past time we closed this game up.  Many thanks to Sheep and Doc for running this game.  It's a shame that there was a very noticeable lack of posting from the players.  This game would've been a perfect chance for some great spy RP.  I doubt there will ever be a better game for White Text. :P

If anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get a hold of GammaWilson, Metacognition or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone over here in our 
Art of Game Creation thread as well. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!

For the of yu who wish to play, Long Game 33: Life, is still accepting sign ups.  Come and join in the slaughter. 
EMqYlbxRo13K50x1H0zXr5OW3GmB5ywfDwHMg0UMXjlzYjq4blSgdE8-WG7YxvPpJYCSFHbEgjLI5pCvDDHiVJaBHrInPIIpp_Q92502FzTs9sVDzZVpuSdxiuXzsOFxM9dm7b9R

Thanks again to everyone that played and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games!