Taln and his sword

Remodel

Ah, I misremembered the scene. Though the wording in the books is basically the same: "they contained a precious cargo, including all of his maps, notes, and theories." That makes the maps, notes and theories part of the 'precious cargo', as it is including not in addition to. Therefore the cargo is his research, not a blade/plate.

Edited by Krandacth

I don't think that he would see his maps and such as precious considering they were all meant for the search of Urithiru and the city has already been found. Making those things kind of obsolete. Granted if Shallan saw something important she would have noted it, but i guess she couldn't have seen 'everything'.

I still believe he got his hands on the honorblade somehow.

The one thing that doesn't make sense. If he has the honorblade, why not bond it then dismiss it so it can't be found at all? 

Also, as I said earlier, there's still the issue that the blade was likely swapped before Bordin saw it. 

Overall, there is nothing indicating that he has an honorblade, and chances are high he's just referring to something else. For all we know, he has another r black sphere like Gavilar has. 

What we know is that Szeth is under the impression that the "other seven" are still kept in Shinovar by the Shamanate.So far we know he has the Windrunner blade, and Naln has the Skybreaker blade because

Spoiler

We see him fly in edgedancer, and lift talks about how unfair that is. My original impression was that Taln brought the last honor blade with him to hell because it was absent from the circle where Jezrien and the Heralds placed there Honorblades. So we know Szeth and Naln each have one, the Shamanate (according to Szeth) have 7. This leaves the possibility that the blade Taln dragged to Kholinar with him was the last one and it got lost somewhere along the way(or he left it in hell/Braize?/void) OR Shallash has the last one. Shallash is the lightweaver herald who desecrates artwork of herself.

Edited by Radiant_Jaeger

42 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

@Radiant_Jaeger Per Shalash herself, her "work" would be easier if she had a Shardblade. This means that she does not have a Shardblade of any type, be it deadblade, Sprenblade or Honorblade.

To be fair, I don't believe Ash has the Honorblade, but the interlude in which she speaks about a Shardblades making her work easier is in tWoK before Taln's return. So hypothetically, that could be her incentive to retrieve it, but she immediately followed that statement, if I remember correctly, saying that it might make it too easy. 

11 hours ago, Calderis said:

To be fair, I don't believe Ash has the Honorblade, but the interlude in which she speaks about a Shardblades making her work easier is in tWoK before Taln's return. So hypothetically, that could be her incentive to retrieve it, but she immediately followed that statement, if I remember correctly, saying that it might make it too easy. 

All this time, I thought that was in Book 2. Well then.

I don't think she'd know he returned unless she was in Kholinar that night, so we agree that we don't think she has it, albeit for different reasons. 

16 hours ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

This leaves the possibility that the blade Taln dragged to Kholinar with him was the last one and it got lost somewhere along the way(or he left it in hell/Braize?/void)

If the person we see is truly Taln (and I think it is, and Brandon has either been trolling us by refusing to outright confirm it, or is hinting at more), the Blade we see him with at first was swapped out for the Shardblade that Amaram ends up trying to steal. That Blade (the first one) was almost certainly his Honorblade, and someone now has it, but we don't know who.  We know it isn't Hoid, though, or at least that he wasn't the one who did the swapping.  I'm really hoping it didn't end up with an evil character, but it's possible.

On 4/15/2017 at 5:32 PM, Calderis said:

Hmmm puzzling indeed. Its been a while since I read that interlude! Gotta do more homework next time! Do you think Taln stilll has it and just doesn't have the clarity to summon it?

1 hour ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

@Spoolofwhool Aha! Thanks for the info!

Reveal hidden contents

Naln has his Honor blade since we see him fly in Edgedancer but i forgot that Taln's was never left behind.

Just joined the site!

No problem. If could just edit the spoiler tags around the spoiler information in your previous post, that would be perfect. 

• 2 weeks later...

So we have ruled out Hoid and we have ruled out Amaram (mostly). Anyone want to start making guesses on who may have it? We don't have much do go on but speculation is fun.

For instance, this is a bit of a long shot, but what if a certain not-dead someone from Secret History managed to worldhop his way over to Roshar (do I need spoiler tags to mention names?). And what if, while on Roshar, he was able to pull a swap on Taln's Honorblade? I mean, if anyone would be able to pull a swap like this without anyone noticing it would be this guy. There is little to know evidence, pure speculation, but what do you think?

I could see one of the heralds making sure his Honorblade doesn't fall into the wrong hands. I think there was a WoB that said that events in the books would have let the heralds guess that Taln had returned. We know that the man presumed to be Kalak in the WoR prologue who was talking to Nalan was pretty upset about Szeth having Jezrien's Blade at the time. I'm sure the heralds wouldn't be too happy if yet another blade was lost to them. I could see a herald hearing of a crazy man showing up in Kholinar with an unidentified Blade, matching the description of Taln and decide to investigate. They would probably figure out fast that Taln is not sane and in no way able to take care of his own blade. So instead of letting the blade be delivered to who knows where, they swapped it with their own. We know that at least Ash has been thinking about acquiring a regular Shardblade, and I've read speculation that Chana is actually Liss (which I think would be amazing). I think it's not unreasonable to assume a Herald could have gotten their hands on a Shardblade.

1 minute ago, Rob Lucci said:

Maybe Dalinar still has it. That's the impression I got, anyway.

Dalinar has a regular Shardblade. If you compare the description of Taln's blade at the end of WoK and Dalinar's in WoR, they don't match up. Dalinar also hears screams after bonding the Stormfather, which tells us that he has a dead sprenblade.

22 minutes ago, Rob Lucci said:

I don't mean on his person. I mean stored away somewhere, which is where the missing honorblade probably is. In storage, just we don't know by whom.

Unfortunately we've been told otherwise. It's not with (and it's location isn't known by) a main character.

QUESTION

The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance, was that the Honorblade?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance that he gave up?

QUESTION

Yeah, that he gave up.

BRANDON SANDERSON

No it was not.

QUESTION

It was not? So what happened to the Honorblade that the Herald had?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Nobody kno- Well, somebody knows, but it is not known to the main characters.

QUESTION

Can I ask if uh, Hoid-

BRANDON SANDERSON

If Hoid knows?

QUESTION

Yeah.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hoid did not take it, but I’m not answering whether he knows.

Source

14 hours ago, Obnoxiousspren said:

So we have ruled out Hoid and we have ruled out Amaram (mostly). Anyone want to start making guesses on who may have it? We don't have much do go on but speculation is fun.

There's been a lot of speculation on this. For example:

For instance, this is a bit of a long shot, but what if a certain not-dead someone from Secret History managed to worldhop his way over to Roshar (do I need spoiler tags to mention names?).

Anything on a series-specific board regarding stuff from other series needs to be spoiler-tagged so yeah, you'd need a tag in that case. The Cosmere Q&A and Cosmere Theories boards are the ones where everything is fair game.

• Chaos locked this topic