WoT RP Planning

Silverblade5

I strongly desire to join this. I care not for where or when this RP takes place, or even what the end goal will be. I just want to enjoy this thing. And sate my addiction to Role-Play Game's.

I would advise against the age of legends, though. If I remember correctly, that's the age before male aes-sedai went cukoo, right? That's also when they were at their strongest, which might make any RPG have overly simple solutions. The third age might work, I'll go refresh my knowledge about it.

Personally, I'd like to play in a Third Age-style game--Age of Legends sounds like it would quickly evolve into some sort of steampunk-esque genre, and that's not really the point of a Wheel of Time RPG.

Also, I'm definitely interested in playing.

Have it set some time before the main series. During A New Spring maybe? (Aiel retreating, Red Ajah hunting men, chaos and bandits galore)
Or maybe just after Artur Hawkwing? (Chaos and strife for 130 years, fertile soil for a story)

3 hours ago, Kestrel said:

Heck, we could do an au type thing where the events in wot never happen. Use the world, but not the plot of the books, maybe?

3 hours ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Personally, I'd like to play in a Third Age-style game--Age of Legends sounds like it would quickly evolve into some sort of steampunk-esque genre, and that's not really the point of a Wheel of Time RPG.

Also, I'm definitely interested in playing.

1 hour ago, Erunion said:

Have it set some time before the main series. During A New Spring maybe? (Aiel retreating, Red Ajah hunting men, chaos and bandits galore)
Or maybe just after Artur Hawkwing? (Chaos and strife for 130 years, fertile soil for a story)

Alternatively, we could do it in the fourth age. Both genders would have access to the power, and we'd be able to play around with the fallout from Tarmon Gai'don and the Dragon's Peace

2 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Alternatively, we could do it in the fourth age. Both genders would have access to the power, and we'd be able to play around with the fallout from Tarmon Gai'don and the Dragon's Peace

Ooh, I like that idea!

Also, are we using a system for this? Is it freeform? Who is GMing, since Silverblade apparently isn't?

1 hour ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Ooh, I like that idea!

Also, are we using a system for this? Is it freeform? Who is GMing, since Silverblade apparently isn't?

I'll do it if no one else does. I'm just waiting for someone better to step up :P 

50 minutes ago, Kestrel said:

I actually haven't finished wot yet so anything that doesn't fit with the book canon plot wise would be appreciated, as I don't know the world-building after A Memory of Light.

It'll be freeform I think?

Freeform, unless you'd rather do a WoT themed Pathfinder or D&D

Running with a simplified version of the 5e system might work; roll a D20 for success. If you have advantage, 2d20 and take the better of the two. If disadvantage, 2d20 and take the worse of the two. 

Or we could just go full freeform/imagination. It works well that way for Forum RPG's (we describe actions logically, GM determines success based on how smart/dumb we are?)

4 minutes ago, Erunion said:

Running with a simplified version of the 5e system might work; roll a D20 for success. If you have advantage, 2d20 and take the better of the two. If disadvantage, 2d20 and take the worse of the two. 

Or we could just go full freeform/imagination. It works well that way for Forum RPG's (we describe actions logically, GM determines success based on how smart/dumb we are?)

The current consensus is freeform. The idea is that we discuss what we're going to do in the planning thread (this one) and then do it in the main thread. Like the Reckoners RPG, but with less people. I will be GMing for now.

Edited by Silverblade5

Freeform is easiest to be honest. Leads for more character building and fun writing, I feel. We could roll for some things, though. Like... if there's a fight, rolling an odd could mean your hit lands and even means your hit misses? Stuff like that.

So here are the rules, as I've conceived them so far….

1. Any character, human or Wolf, is allowed, but realistic limitations are a must. 

2. No god-modding (i.e., taking control of another player's character beyond small, essential bits for one's post). So something like "S/he said nothing, so Whatshisface went on" would be allowed, but narrating another character's actions, dialogue, and/or inner thoughts—beyond what the other player has already written—would not. (It probably goes without saying that killing another player's character without their express permission is not allowed.) 

3. Keep in mind what you know of another player's character vs. what your own character would know.  

4. Clear all plot twists with the GM and the characters involved. There's a good chance they'll say yes, because I'm more of the write-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type and I don't have a clear storyline planned out, but just make sure you get permission. Especially if it involves another player's character. 

5. It is completely okay to join late in the story.   

6. Be respectful of other players. I want this game to be fun, so don't set a super-frantic pace. If a player asks for the rest to slow down so they can catch up, do it. If they need a recap and you happen to know what's been going on, fill them in. 

7. Have fun.

This post was copied from the Reckoners RPG and then modified. Credit goes to Twilyghtsanssparkles.

58 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

So here are the rules, as I've conceived them so far….

1. Any character, human or Wolf, is allowed, but realistic limitations are a must. 

2. No god-modding (i.e., taking control of another player's character beyond small, essential bits for one's post). So something like "S/he said nothing, so Whatshisface went on" would be allowed, but narrating another character's actions, dialogue, and/or inner thoughts—beyond what the other player has already written—would not. (It probably goes without saying that killing another player's character without their express permission is not allowed.) 

3. Keep in mind what you know of another player's character vs. what your own character would know.  

4. Clear all plot twists with the GM and the characters involved. There's a good chance they'll say yes, because I'm more of the write-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type and I don't have a clear storyline planned out, but just make sure you get permission. Especially if it involves another player's character. 

5. It is completely okay to join late in the story.   

6. Be respectful of other players. I want this game to be fun, so don't set a super-frantic pace. If a player asks for the rest to slow down so they can catch up, do it. If they need a recap and you happen to know what's been going on, fill them in. 

7. Have fun.

This post was copied from the Reckoners RPG and then modified. Credit goes to Twilyghtsanssparkles.

Awesome! So, when are we starting/is there an in-character thread yet?