What was the plan?

Faceless Mist-Wraith

I read Warbreaker and something occurred to me. What exactly was priest's plan regarding Susebron and Siri producing an heir? Susebron, before he communicated with Siri, had the mind/understanding of a child. Siri had been instructed not to "excessively touch" the God King. How did the priests expect them to produce an heir if Susebron just expected it to "happen" and Siri was expected to sit and wait? 

As a follow-up, do we know how Returned can have a baby without it being stillborn?

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

They expected Siri to be smart enough to try to twist things around and try to break the system, so they left them to it. As they suspected, Siri got around to *ahem* that, but they didn't expect Lightsong to restore Susebron's tongue.

I really don't know what exactly what they were thinking, but hey, this is a pretty good guess.

In the book it mentions the "heir" is not their child, but a infant/child that returned and made to appear to be the God King's Heir.

Hence why the priests needed them to get married and get together quickly. The successor had already been found, but they needed her "to be pregnant" and sequestered for the requisite time before the child grew up too much to maintain the illusion.

7 minutes ago, Tsidqiyah said:

In the book it mentions the "heir" is not their child, but a infant/child that returned and made to appear to be the God King's Heir.

Hence why the priests needed them to get married and get together quickly. The successor had already been found, but they needed her "to be pregnant" and sequestered for the requisite time before the child grew up too much to maintain the illusion.

That would make sense, however I remember something about that being mentioned, but I remembered reading somewhere that there was some special way that a Returned could have children, which I assumed meant the priests were going to use that method versus the stillborn child king method.

WOB (i am no good at finding these BTW) says that a Returned COULD Sire/Mother a Child.

There is no evidence that anybody in world currently knows how to accomplish this, and out of world Team Sanderson is quite on the subject, but it has been done in the past.

Spoliers:

Spoiler

The royal locks are an indication that there is returned blood in the royal line of Idris

Actually a Returned can generate offspring with an unknown method. Vo did it and as result we have the Idris Royal Family.

Of course nobody knows how Vo did it (and I think Vo himself manage to do this unwilling, not He actually knows something special/secret) the Priests indeed know a method to make a Returned gave birth to a child...but we don't know what the method is and is they use the same method Vo used.

Of course no "the whole church" know this, only a group of Priest in an island far from the capital (where they try to send Susebron and Siri in the final part) and usually they replace a GodKing when a baby Return...so strictly no Godking is the son of the previous one.

The only problem with this is, "why to find a fake son when you may make a true heir ?" probably the method have some risks and they don't want to put in danger Peacegiver's tresure.

• Chaos locked this topic